OggDude

Another Character Generator

4 hours ago, Gadgetgav said:

Ok, so I can’t use any of the additional extras such adding HPs etc. By spending advantages and triumphs then?

Correct, since to get the specific guard shoto as written up in KtP, you're not making a crafting check.

Closest you can get using the crafting rules is to start with a defensive hilt, and build from there.

1 hour ago, Donovan Morningfire said:

Correct, since to get the specific guard shoto as written up in KtP, you're not making a crafting check.

Closest you can get using the crafting rules is to start with a defensive hilt, and build from there.

Ok, thanks for your help

11 hours ago, Donovan Morningfire said:

The crafting rules don't allow you to replicate specific items from the sourcebooks, and this is 100% intentional on the part of the designers.

If you specifically want to build the KtP Guard Shoto, you'll need to default to the core rulebook's hilt building rules, which is purchase the necessary parts (i.e. pay credits equal to the hilt's cost) and then assemble with no rolling required.

Or the ones in the GM Kit. 

1 hour ago, Daeglan said:

Or the ones in the GM Kit. 

Which make a pretty strong indication that they only cover the building of a basic hilt, seeing as how they cite paying 300 credits for parts (aka cost of a basic lightsaber hilt).  To say nothing of the same rules citing the GM can decide that the player simply doesn't have the knowledge required to properly build a hilt, either disallowing the roll to begin with or setting it at a much higher difficulty.

So in that vein, if a GM were to allow the GM Kit crafting rules to be used to construct the more exotic hilts, GM could also disallow the PC from building them simply due to the PC not having the knowledge of how to construct them.

The hilts in the core rulebook I'd say are "common" designs, especially the shoto and pike as those are just variations on the concept of the basic lightsaber hilt, and a double-bladed lightsaber hilt is simply two basic hilts stuck end-to-end.  Guard shotos, crosshilt sabers, and lightfoils are bit more outside the norm, and so probably would fall under the realm of "more specialized knowledge required" in order to construct.

But as always, it's up to the individual GM.

I just read something in Knights of Fate, regarding the Dowutin Species. In the listing of their stats, there is:

Large: Dowutins have a silhouette of 1 or 2, chosen at character creation.

...How the heck is OggDude going to code his generator to track that?!? And until he does an official update, how are WE supposed to track it?

24 minutes ago, Takeshi Yamato said:

I just read something in Knights of Fate, regarding the Dowutin Species. In the listing of their stats, there is:

...How the heck is OggDude going to code his generator to track that?!? And until he does an official update, how are WE supposed to track it?

I made it an option choice--

Top level labeled Silhouette, with two options: Average - Character is Silhouette 1; Large - Character is Silhouette 2.

2 more errors:

GM Adversaries are not registering the change in attribute for lightsabers (Makashi Technique, etc) when selecting PC's. Haven't tried with entered NPC's yet.

Also, Iron Body is reducing the Crit rating of ALL weapons, not just unarmed.

Edited by Jareth Valar

@OggDude You've done an incredible job with this program for FFG Star Wars! 

At this point, since it seems like you've been extremely busy, would you consider transitioning the project to GitHub as Open Source?

Perhaps some of the community here are programmers and could assist you?

I suspect it's the same issue I've had in the past with similar projects. You start sticking things together whilst you are learning, and end up with an embarrassing series of kludges that work. Then it's always easier to add new stuff than fix the basics, so it grows uglier and better. Eventually when real life catches up and you need help, getting it to the stage of being able to have others help is a major project in itself.

Having worked on another community project for the last few years, it can be really effective, but it really helped to have much of the groundwork laid by some serious experts and built from scratch for community build. Would certainly help if the project existed, but understand how hard it'd to be to get to that stage.

26 minutes ago, Darzil said:

I suspect it's the same issue I've had in the past with similar projects. You start sticking things together whilst you are learning, and end up with an embarrassing series of kludges that work. Then it's always easier to add new stuff than fix the basics, so it grows uglier and better. Eventually when real life catches up and you need help, getting it to the stage of being able to have others help is a major project in itself.

Having worked on another community project for the last few years, it can be really effective, but it really helped to have much of the groundwork laid by some serious experts and built from scratch for community build. Would certainly help if the project existed, but understand how hard it'd to be to get to that stage.

I’m pretty sure he’s said before that that’s exactly the situation. ?

I am trying to add Aklay's Scything strike from the Steel Hand Adept tree in knights of faith but I can not figure out how to make the talent show how it changes brawl

21 hours ago, kiranar said:

I am trying to add Aklay's Scything strike from the Steel Hand Adept tree in knights of faith but I can not figure out how to make the talent show how it changes brawl

I couldn't figure this out either.  I ended up just adding the description understanding that the Player will have to remember to add it in game.  I think this is something that will have go be hard-coded by Oggdude when he is able to work on it again.  

Hopefully, after seeing it added to the game, he may plan ahead for future entries and give us an edit option

New to the FFG SW RPG system. and Loving @OggDude Generator, it is really helping me get familiar with the rules. The only thing I miss is something like the Encounter Tool but for non combat encounter in the GM Tools. Maybe using the rules for Social Encounters in the Genesys Core Rulebook

Also is there any chance of the community having a repository for the description text for talents, skills and equipment from the books?

Edited by nichendrix

Looking a little deeper, he almost definitely will have to. The Talisman of Iron Fists grants armor the Cortosis quality and Brawl attacks Cortosis and Pierce equal to Force rating. I went in to see how it was modded, and...well...looks like he created a mod called Iron Fists that takes care of it all. That said, I'm not sure how that would be reflected on the character sheet that's generated, since there's no symbol for Pierce.

On 1/27/2018 at 2:25 PM, OggDude said:

Below are the fixes that will be in the next release.  Please let me know if something you've found is not in this list:

• When purchasing attachments, the number of HP the attachment takes up is now displayed in the grid.
  • A new feature in item attachments was causing a crash in the Data Editor when a new attachment was added.  This has been fixed.
  • Fixed formatting and spelling issue with BR-219 Heavy Blaster Pistol.
  • The Talent Item Change feature was incorrectly applying UnarmedOnly item changes (such as from the Iron Body talent) to all weapons, instead of just unarmed.  This has been fixed.
  • In cases where a pre-existing unranked talent becomes available in a talent tree, and the selection of that talent causes another pre-existing unranked talent to become available, only the first unranked talent was automatically selected.  Now, all such talents should be automatically selected, as each selection will now check to see if other talents become available for selection.  Also, in cases where auto-selection causes a talent to become available that has already been checked (and, therefore, won't be checked again), the entire tree is now re-scanned whenever a talent is auto-selected.
  • The Overwhelm Emotion talent was not adding Force dice to the Charm, Coercion, or Deception skills.  It now does this.
  • The Stun Pulse attachment was set to work with all melee weapons.  It now only works with weapons in the Bludgeoning Brawl and Bludgeoning Melee categories.
  • The Raquor'Daan Beastmaster adversary has been added to the Lords of Nal Hutta Import folder.
  • Removed "Sealable" from the combat armor template in the Crafting dialog, since "Sealable" can be purchased as an option.

Some other things to note are that shock boots has an error with its rarity, and second, in Disciples of Harmony you have the ability to get various mentor bonuses. The ability to add that would be a requested feature.

Thank you again for all of your hard work.

1 hour ago, StriderZessei said:

None of the Knight of Fate Specs are available?

No. Oggdude has been detained by the real world since late January and we are now 4 books behind in official updates. Disciples of Harmony being the last book updated... And not fully so as it didn't include anything for mentors (And the ship crafting rules from fully operational are also missing).

You can either add them yourself using the data editor in the meantime or wait patiently for Ogg to return.

So idle bit of speculation...

As others have said at various points in this thread (including OggDude himself), this program was created as a giant learning process for OggDude, and that the code is at this point something of a mess.

So I wonder if part of the reason for OggDude's prolonged radio silence is that he's taken what he's learned since first launching this app and is working on building a new, cleaner version that operates more smoothly while also being easier for him to update as new material is published by FFG?  I imagine that this undertaking (along with his meatworld responsibilities) are taking up a lot of his time, and if he's planning deep-sixing the "old and busted" for "new hawtness," there's not really much call for him to release data updates for the latest books.

7 hours ago, warchild1x said:

No. Oggdude has been detained by the real world since late January and we are now 4 books behind in official updates. Disciples of Harmony being the last book updated... And not fully so as it didn't include anything for mentors (And the ship crafting rules from fully operational are also missing).

You can either add them yourself using the data editor in the meantime or wait patiently for Ogg to return.

Yeah, yeah, patience, how long will that take?

7 minutes ago, KennyBu said:

FFG should just hire Oggdude or pay him as a contractor to make the software official!

I know I would gladly pay FFG for an updated polished version of the software.

Thoughts?

I'm sure many of us would. However FFG doesn't have a license to produce Star Wars products in an electronic medium (which would include character generators and digital pdf rulebooks). Electronic Arts currently has that license and they're unlikely to give it up anytime soon.  So we are left without.

Just now, warchild1x said:

I'm sure many of us would. However FFG doesn't have a license to produce Star Wars products in an electronic medium (which would include character generators and digital pdf rulebooks). Electronic Arts currently has that license and they're unlikely to give it up anytime soon.  So we are left without.

No...? We're getting an app for X-Wing Miniatures 2.0.