OggDude

Another Character Generator

Hmmm. I asked because I had a similar issue once, and its presence in a separate data set was taking precedence over the newer edit.

Extreme, but you could try--

• Remove the custom talent
  • Save
  • Close Data Editor
  • Clear Cache
  • Reopen Data Editor
  • Add the custom talent back

I thought about that. I've never used the data editor to create talents or add info from the books before. Here's a question for you. When Oggdude does the update for the newer books (Dawn of Rebellion), if the data set is the default, does created data get erased or do duplicates appear. 

1 minute ago, HessianAz said:

I thought about that. I've never used the data editor to create talents or add info from the books before. Here's a question for you. When Oggdude does the update for the newer books (Dawn of Rebellion), if the data set is the default, does created data get erased or do duplicates appear. 

Duplicates appear - because there's variances between what we can do with the editor and what he can do with straight-up coding.

3 minutes ago, HessianAz said:

1 minute ago, Takeshi Yamato said:

Duplicates appear - because there's variances between what we can do with the editor and what he can do with straight-up coding.

It will depend upon whether or not you ended up using the same item key as OggDude.

Personally, I've begun building in not only an expectation of duplication, but an inevitability of it. Since he knows the ins and outs of adding the mechanics of new information better than I do, and has the ability to update the code to allow for new application and flexibility that might be required for a new item, I'd prefer to use his info as a base. So, what I do is, when adding a new item, I give the key a prefix based on the source. For example, adding the Pirate spec from Dawn of Rebellion, I gave it the key DORPIRATE; when I start adding info from Unlimited Power, it will have a UP prefix. When the new "official" update comes out, I just copy/paste the description from mine to his, then delete mine. Yeah, a little duplicate work, but it's worth it to me.

Think i found a related bug. It seems when creating a talent and putting a check mark in any skill in "these skills become career skills", it does not save that setting. 

Hi, I'm having an odd problem. One day I turned on the Chargen to Print my character's sheet out, instead of working, I got an unhandled exception error. I have utterly no idea why. It just up and decided not to work today. I have absolutely no idea why it would just stop working. I only just turned my computer on. I restarted my comp. I cleared the cache. I did a fresh install. I did a basic check on RPC server to see if that hadn't suddenly died. Whatever that is... But the only thing that doesn't work is the Chargen for... some reason.

Error.jpg

I want to say we're 3 books behind in data entry (4 once KoF drops). Sadly I don't have Nytwyng's time or dedication to enter it myself so I rely on largesse of the community and patiently wait for Ogg to return.

I know i don't have unlimited power, Fully operational or dawn of rebellion in my datasets.

This generator is fantastic.  Does anyone know if there was any built in code that we can enter in the description sections of the xml files to represent dice or symbol images? When entering new talents, I'd love to be able to put in a setback die symbol, for example, instead of using text.  

2 hours ago, Ahrimon said:

I've been entering the pieces I need as I need them.  It doesn't take long once you get the hang of it.

Until you get so far behind that trying to catch up seems like too much to do, so you hope an update will come out soon and catch you up (at least partly).  At least, that's me.  :wacko:

Disciples of Harmony was indeed the latest book added to the generator.  I've got DoR and UP sitting on my desk, taunting me.  I may break down and start doing some data entry...unless someone already has some data files ready to go....  :ph34r: