OggDude

Another Character Generator

32 minutes ago, Daeglan said:

Yeah...he is gonna say no. But i can tell yoj that if you dig around in this thread many many pages back you will find a group that discusses such things.

Fair enough.

Thanks for the heads up. It's appreciated.

My editing skills are not the best.  I was wondering has anyone completed the Padawan survivor tree from dawn of rebellion and would be willing to send me the data file for it along with instructions where to put it until the program gets updated?

Does anyone know a way to add a cap to a custom item type? Similar to how cybernetics work. I'm trying to add genetic modification such as the gene seeds from Warhammer and bioware from Shadowrun. I've added Genetic Modifications as an item type to choose from but can't figure out how to make them act like cybernetics with the cap.

2 hours ago, Rozial said:

Does anyone know a way to add a cap to a custom item type? Similar to how cybernetics work. I'm trying to add genetic modification such as the gene seeds from Warhammer and bioware from Shadowrun. I've added Genetic Modifications as an item type to choose from but can't figure out how to make them act like cybernetics with the cap.

No clue but that sounds pretty cool.

My suggestion is to either add them under medical gear or cybernetics. List the general item (gene seeds as an example) and add "attachments" to get specific items (like a Chiss seed +1 to Pr)

Both allow you to go over the cap.

Has anyone noticed that the S-1 Vamblades from Dangerous Covenants have extra Qualities in the character generator?

When I check out the Data Editor, they don't show up as selected options, so I cannot "unselect" them.

I have not seen @OggDude post in here for awhile.  Does anyone know how he is doing?  Hopefully real world has not become a challenge for the guy.  We value so much what he has provided for the community.  Can't wait for the next update.

8 minutes ago, NicoJMont said:

I have not seen @OggDude post in here for awhile.  Does anyone know how he is doing?  Hopefully real world has not become a challenge for the guy.  We value so much what he has provided for the community.  Can't wait for the next update.

It’s happened before that real life (which always takes precedence) has kept him away for extended periods (months at a time). His profile indicates he last logged on just a few weeks ago. So all is probably well, just busy.

Just now, LordEnforcer said:

is he the only one updating this software?  There should always be a backup for all jobs

Yes, he is. It’s all built from the ground up by OggDude. Others working on it would be problematic, as OggDude himself has stated that - since it began as an exercise in learning/teaching himself programming, there’s some really ugly code in there, but fixing it could cause more harm than good; some of that bad/shortcut code does what it’s meant to do, but also serves as the foundation of later, better code...fixing the mistakes might ultimately require rewriting other, not clearly related elements in a domino effect.

32 minutes ago, Nytwyng said:

Yes, he is. It’s all built from the ground up by OggDude. Others working on it would be problematic, as OggDude himself has stated that - since it began as an exercise in learning/teaching himself programming, there’s some really ugly code in there, but fixing it could cause more harm than good; some of that bad/shortcut code does what it’s meant to do, but also serves as the foundation of later, better code...fixing the mistakes might ultimately require rewriting other, not clearly related elements in a domino effect.

Classic Code Monkey conundrum... "Man this code looks like garbage, but it works, so I probably shouldn't touch it. HOWEVER... If I do need to add on to this code it's going to be a real pain, and cleaning it up will make it easier to work with in the future."

52 minutes ago, NicoJMont said:

You could message him and ask him.

29 minutes ago, 2P51 said:

You could message him and ask him.

I did a while ago (before the May 11 login, to be sure), offering to look into helping out with the download bandwidth issues he occasionally experiences, and haven’t heard anything back.

36 minutes ago, kaosoe said:

Classic Code Monkey conundrum... "Man this code looks like garbage, but it works, so I probably shouldn't touch it. HOWEVER... If I do need to add on to this code it's going to be a real pain, and cleaning it up will make it easier to work with in the future."

Probably compounded by that earlier code being “crashed and bashed” before the programmer knowing how it’s “supposed to” work.

(Happens to me in something as simple as Excel all the time. I’ll throw together formulas and macros to get a desired result, but have little to know idea how I did it if I need to replicate it.)

4 hours ago, kaosoe said:

Seems to me the way to handle that is to clean up code as you need to touch said code. Code should over time be cleaner and better commented. 

23 hours ago, kaosoe said:

It's called Technical Debt. Collect too much of it without refactoring makes one bankrupt (in the technical sense).

I have a lightsaber with a kimber stone. The program still gives it Breach 1, Sunder, and a crit rating, none of which it is supposed to have. It's gotten me in trouble with the GM a couple times!

39 minutes ago, KahlessNestor said:

I have a lightsaber with a kimber stone. The program still gives it Breach 1, Sunder, and a crit rating, none of which it is supposed to have. It's gotten me in trouble with the GM a couple times!

Are you adding the kimber stone to a Basic Lightsaber or a Basic Lightsaber Hilt?

The Basic Lightsaber is essentially hard-coded with the traits of an Ilum Crystal, which is probably where the Breach 1, Sunder, and crit rating are coming from.  And pretty sure the kimber stone isn't coded in such a way to remove those traits.

What you need to do is add a Basic Lightsaber Hilt to your character's weapon list, go into the attachments screen, and select the kimber stone.  That way, your lightsaber will have the proper stats for its crystal type.

On 5/21/2018 at 7:19 AM, salamar_dree said:

Has anyone noticed that the S-1 Vamblades from Dangerous Covenants have extra Qualities in the character generator?

When I check out the Data Editor, they don't show up as selected options, so I cannot "unselect" them.

All brawl weapons get some qualities because they are brawl weapons and I believe the editor adds them in automatically

I feel a bit daft having to post this, but I have a problem.

Just got a new PC and copied all my oggdude's files over. It starts up fine but there's no character files. I had assumed they were part of the main folders so should've copied, but apparently not.

I tried exporting each character separately but when I try to import I just get "not a valid character".

I'd prefer not to go through and recreate every single file so is there any way to find the old saved data?

It's not copied the item description either.  Despite copying the entire folder it's loading up as if it's a ompletely free version :(

Edited by Valkanna

Hi,

I have an technical issue.
I copied the Ilum crystal.
Gave it an new name and saved it.
After this it was gone.
The second time I tried to reopen the copy and got following exception:

************** Ausnahmetext **************
System.InvalidOperationException: Beim Generieren des XML-Dokuments ist ein Fehler aufgetreten. ---> System.NullReferenceException: Der Objektverweis wurde nicht auf eine Objektinstanz festgelegt.
   bei Microsoft.Xml.Serialization.GeneratedAssembly.XmlSerializationWriterItemAttachment.Write15_ItemAttachment(String n, String ns, ItemAttachment o, Boolean isNullable, Boolean needType)
   bei Microsoft.Xml.Serialization.GeneratedAssembly.XmlSerializationWriterItemAttachment.Write16_ItemAttachment(Object o)
   --- Ende der internen Ausnahmestapelüberwachung ---
   bei System.Xml.Serialization.XmlSerializer.Serialize(XmlWriter xmlWriter, Object o, XmlSerializerNamespaces namespaces, String encodingStyle, String id)
   bei System.Xml.Serialization.XmlSerializer.Serialize(TextWriter textWriter, Object o, XmlSerializerNamespaces namespaces)
   bei SWCharGen.DataItem.Clone()
   bei SWCharGen.frmAddItemAttachment.SetCatCtls(ItemAttachment ia)
   bei SWCharGen.frmAddItemAttachment.GetItemAttachment(CharData myData, IWin32Window parent, String newKey, ItemAttachment existingAttach)
   bei SWCharGen.frmSWDataEditMain.ModifyItem(DataItem item)
   bei SWCharGen.frmSWDataEditMain.btnModify_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   bei SWCharGen.frmSWDataEditMain.dvgItems_DoubleClick(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   bei System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnDoubleClick(EventArgs e)
   bei System.Windows.Forms.DataGridView.OnDoubleClick(EventArgs e)
   bei System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
   bei System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
   bei System.Windows.Forms.DataGridView.WndProc(Message& m)
   bei System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
   bei System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
   bei System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Geladene Assemblys **************
mscorlib
    Assembly-Version: 4.0.0.0.
    Win32-Version: 4.7.3101.0 built by: NET472REL1LAST_B.
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v4.0.30319/mscorlib.dll.
----------------------------------------
SWCharGenDataEditor
    Assembly-Version: 2.2.1.1.
    Win32-Version: 2.2.1.1.
    CodeBase: file:///D:/OneDrive/Desktop/SWEotECharGen/SWCharGenDataEditor.exe.
System.Windows.Forms
    Win32-Version: 4.7.3056.0 built by: NET472REL1.
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll.
System
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll.
System.Drawing
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll.
SWCharGenCtlLib
    CodeBase: file:///D:/OneDrive/Desktop/SWEotECharGen/SWCharGenCtlLib.DLL.
SWCharGenLib
    CodeBase: file:///D:/OneDrive/Desktop/SWEotECharGen/SWCharGenLib.DLL.
System.Xml
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll.
System.Configuration
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Configuration/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Configuration.dll.
System.Core
    Win32-Version: 4.7.3101.0 built by: NET472REL1LAST_B.
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Core/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Core.dll.
Microsoft.GeneratedCode
    Assembly-Version: 1.0.0.0.
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll.
Microsoft.GeneratedCode
Microsoft.GeneratedCode
Microsoft.GeneratedCode
Microsoft.GeneratedCode
Microsoft.GeneratedCode
System.xml.resources
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml.resources/v4.0_4.0.0.0_de_b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.resources.dll.
mscorlib.resources
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/mscorlib.resources/v4.0_4.0.0.0_de_b77a5c561934e089/mscorlib.resources.dll.
Microsoft.GeneratedCode
Microsoft.GeneratedCode
Microsoft.GeneratedCode
Microsoft.GeneratedCode
Microsoft.GeneratedCode
Microsoft.GeneratedCode
Microsoft.GeneratedCode
Microsoft.GeneratedCode
Microsoft.GeneratedCode
Microsoft.GeneratedCode
Microsoft.GeneratedCode
Microsoft.GeneratedCode
Microsoft.GeneratedCode
Microsoft.GeneratedCode
Microsoft.GeneratedCode
Microsoft.GeneratedCode
Microsoft.GeneratedCode
Microsoft.GeneratedCode
Microsoft.GeneratedCode
Microsoft.GeneratedCode
Microsoft.GeneratedCode
Microsoft.GeneratedCode
Microsoft.GeneratedCode
Microsoft.GeneratedCode
Microsoft.GeneratedCode
Microsoft.GeneratedCode
Microsoft.GeneratedCode
Microsoft.GeneratedCode
Microsoft.GeneratedCode
Microsoft.GeneratedCode
Microsoft.GeneratedCode
HtmlRenderer.WinForms
    Assembly-Version: 1.5.0.6.
    Win32-Version: 1.5.0.6.
    CodeBase: file:///D:/OneDrive/Desktop/SWEotECharGen/HtmlRenderer.WinForms.DLL.
HtmlRenderer
    Assembly-Version: 1.5.0.6.
    Win32-Version: 1.5.0.6.
    CodeBase: file:///D:/OneDrive/Desktop/SWEotECharGen/HtmlRenderer.DLL.
System.Windows.Forms.resources
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms.resources/v4.0_4.0.0.0_de_b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.resources.dll.
Microsoft.GeneratedCode
Microsoft.GeneratedCode
Microsoft.GeneratedCode
Microsoft.GeneratedCode
Microsoft.GeneratedCode
Microsoft.GeneratedCode
Microsoft.GeneratedCode
Microsoft.GeneratedCode
Microsoft.GeneratedCode
Microsoft.GeneratedCode
Microsoft.GeneratedCode
Microsoft.GeneratedCode
Microsoft.GeneratedCode
Microsoft.GeneratedCode
Microsoft.GeneratedCode
Microsoft.GeneratedCode
Microsoft.GeneratedCode
Microsoft.GeneratedCode
Microsoft.GeneratedCode
Microsoft.GeneratedCode
Microsoft.GeneratedCode
Microsoft.GeneratedCode
Microsoft.GeneratedCode
Microsoft.GeneratedCode
Microsoft.GeneratedCode
Microsoft.GeneratedCode
Microsoft.GeneratedCode
Microsoft.GeneratedCode
Microsoft.GeneratedCode
Microsoft.GeneratedCode
Microsoft.GeneratedCode
Microsoft.GeneratedCode
Microsoft.GeneratedCode
Microsoft.GeneratedCode
Microsoft.GeneratedCode
Microsoft.GeneratedCode
Microsoft.GeneratedCode
Microsoft.GeneratedCode
Microsoft.GeneratedCode
Microsoft.GeneratedCode
Microsoft.GeneratedCode
Microsoft.GeneratedCode
Microsoft.GeneratedCode
Microsoft.GeneratedCode
Microsoft.GeneratedCode
Microsoft.GeneratedCode
Microsoft.GeneratedCode
Microsoft.GeneratedCode
Microsoft.GeneratedCode
Microsoft.GeneratedCode
Microsoft.GeneratedCode
Microsoft.GeneratedCode
Microsoft.GeneratedCode
Microsoft.GeneratedCode
Microsoft.GeneratedCode
Microsoft.GeneratedCode
Microsoft.GeneratedCode
Microsoft.GeneratedCode
Microsoft.GeneratedCode
Microsoft.GeneratedCode
Microsoft.GeneratedCode
Microsoft.GeneratedCode

************** JIT-Debuggen **************
Um das JIT-Debuggen (Just-In-Time) zu aktivieren, muss in der
Konfigurationsdatei der Anwendung oder des Computers
(machine.config) der jitDebugging-Wert im Abschnitt system.windows.forms festgelegt werden.
Die Anwendung muss mit aktiviertem Debuggen kompiliert werden.

Zum Beispiel:

<configuration>
    <system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
</configuration>

Edited by Mehsaa