OggDude

Another Character Generator

3 minutes ago, Otakuon said:

I am sure this has been asked a bunch of times before, but I can't seem to find an answer:  how does one modify the stats for a ship.  For instance, if I want to increase the speed of a ship or decrease its system strain threshold, how does one do that?  Do I basically have to create the ship with the modified stats from scratch using XML?

You could do that, or use the Data Editor. I’d recommend making a copy of the “stock” ship and altering that, unless you want all versions of that ship to use your modified stats as a baseline.

2 hours ago, Otakuon said:

I am sure this has been asked a bunch of times before, but I can't seem to find an answer:  how does one modify the stats for a ship.  For instance, if I want to increase the speed of a ship or decrease its system strain threshold, how does one do that?  Do I basically have to create the ship with the modified stats from scratch using XML?

I haven't done a ship, but you should be able to add it via the data editor.

Yeah, I was able to create the modified ship and added it to a custom data set (so as not to muck up the original one), but now I can't seem to find the Ship in the GM tools.  I can find it in the Character generator app as that one has an options button that allows you to select your custom data set, but this options button appears to be missing in the GM tools.  Am I just blind?  Seems like a major over-site if you can't bring custom items into the GM tools app.  I guess I can export it from the character gen app and then import it into the GM Tools but that just seems messy.

Edit:  Scratch that....tired to export and then import and it just causes the GM Tools app to crash with an unhandled exception.  

Edited by Otakuon

Hey, all. Whenever I try to download the latest version from OggDude's profile, I first get a bitly warning saying that "there might be a problem with the requested link", then when I continue, I get an error saying that "this site can't provide a secure connection". I tried right clicking the link and saving the file, but in my downloads list I just see "network error" on the file. How do I download it, and is there a way to update the app without downloading everything again?

8 hours ago, Redwense said:

Hey, all. Whenever I try to download the latest version from OggDude's profile, I first get a bitly warning saying that "there might be a problem with the requested link", then when I continue, I get an error saying that "this site can't provide a secure connection". I tried right clicking the link and saving the file, but in my downloads list I just see "network error" on the file. How do I download it, and is there a way to update the app without downloading everything again?

Some browsers have shown to be very paranoid about downloading from his host. Maybe try a different browser?

If you use the web install version, it will check for updates on launch.

2 hours ago, Random Bystander said:

Why would you think that?

I understand why one would think that.  Oggdude hasn't posted in quite a while and there's been no updates in a similarly long time.  

All I can say is, Oggdude has a real life, and doesn't always have time to be on.  It's a volunteer project, and thus we have to accept that there will be long pauses in production.  I don't think the project is dead, but it may be a bit indeterminate amount of time before there's another update, and we must have patience.

6 minutes ago, Split Light said:

I understand why one would think that.  Oggdude hasn't posted in quite a while and there's been no updates in a similarly long time.  

All I can say is, Oggdude has a real life, and doesn't always have time to be on.  It's a volunteer project, and thus we have to accept that there will be long pauses in production.  I don't think the project is dead, but it may be a bit indeterminate amount of time before there's another update, and we must have patience.

Indeed. Real life has pulled him away from the boards for extended periods in the past, and I’m sure it will in the future. I’m cool with that.

And we do have the tools to be able to do most of the data entry. So if you have done so email the exported data to Ogg. This will result in faster turn around when he gets a chance. As data entry is probably the longest part aside from actual coding. Which is going to be needed for the engineer book. As new crafting stuff needs to be made. 

So question for you all who've used the data editor. Let's say I want to make a new species. Let's use Miraluka as an example. If I wanted to give the person making a character said species the ability to add a rank in a skill, and that they could choose between Vigilance or Discipline, how do I limit the choices to just those two? I've been able to figure out how to get it to let me pick a skill to add a rank in, but I can't seem to limit which options are available.

OK, I'm adding in crafted starships to my copy of the Editor. My plan was to go like the older crafting template items before OggDude added a working crafting system interface, using each crafted vehicle/ship as a base item and the additional parts/ATrThD tables as attachments, but when I go to add a new Item attachment to the generator, by clicking the Add button, I get the following error message:

************** Exception Text **************
System.InvalidOperationException: There was an error generating the XML document. ---> System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
   at Microsoft.Xml.Serialization.GeneratedAssembly.XmlSerializationWriterItemAttachment.Write15_ItemAttachment(String n, String ns, ItemAttachment o, Boolean isNullable, Boolean needType)
   at Microsoft.Xml.Serialization.GeneratedAssembly.XmlSerializationWriterItemAttachment.Write16_ItemAttachment(Object o)
   --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
   at System.Xml.Serialization.XmlSerializer.Serialize(XmlWriter xmlWriter, Object o, XmlSerializerNamespaces namespaces, String encodingStyle, String id)
   at System.Xml.Serialization.XmlSerializer.Serialize(TextWriter textWriter, Object o, XmlSerializerNamespaces namespaces)
   at SWCharGen.DataItem.Clone()
   at SWCharGen.frmAddItemAttachment.SetCatCtls(ItemAttachment ia)
   at SWCharGen.frmAddItemAttachment.GetItemAttachment(CharData myData, IWin32Window parent, String newKey, ItemAttachment existingAttach)
   at SWCharGen.frmSWDataEditMain.AddNewItem(DataItem item)
   at SWCharGen.frmSWDataEditMain.btnAdd_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)
   at SWCharGen.ImageButton.OnClick(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
   at SWCharGen.ImageButton.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

Any clues as to what is going on?

On 4/7/2018 at 1:16 AM, alamb91 said:

So question for you all who've used the data editor. Let's say I want to make a new species. Let's use Miraluka as an example. If I wanted to give the person making a character said species the ability to add a rank in a skill, and that they could choose between Vigilance or Discipline, how do I limit the choices to just those two? I've been able to figure out how to get it to let me pick a skill to add a rank in, but I can't seem to limit which options are available.

Easiest to just copy an existing species like that, check how the options are set up for that species, then change the two skills you can choose from. 

On 09/04/2018 at 4:06 AM, Takeshi Yamato said:

OK, I'm adding in crafted starships to my copy of the Editor. My plan was to go like the older crafting template items before OggDude added a working crafting system interface, using each crafted vehicle/ship as a base item and the additional parts/ATrThD tables as attachments, but when I go to add a new Item attachment to the generator, by clicking the Add button, I get the following error message:

Any clues as to what is going on?

I believe it is a known issue with this release, that will be fixed when oggdude releases an update, can't add any attachments myself at the moment either. 

On 4/6/2018 at 11:34 PM, Nytwyng said:

Some browsers have shown to be very paranoid about downloading from his host. Maybe try a different browser?

If you use the web install version, it will check for updates on launch.

I tried Safari and Chrome to no avail ): I think I was able to get the web install version before, so hopefully it stays updated.

7 minutes ago, Redwense said:

I tried Safari and Chrome to no avail ): I think I was able to get the web install version before, so hopefully it stays updated.

Isn’t Safari Mac? I’m unaware of a Windows version (but, that doesn’t mean there isn’t one). If so, that could be the issue in a nutshell: the software isn’t Mac compatible.

1 hour ago, Nytwyng said:

Isn’t Safari Mac? I’m unaware of a Windows version (but, that doesn’t mean there isn’t one). If so, that could be the issue in a nutshell: the software isn’t Mac compatible.

I have it on my mac runs fine, if you run windows in a vm, or you could remote into a windows machine, or buy a cheap windows laptop.

Do you mean your are unaware of on non-Windows version?

Edited by Eoen

5 hours ago, Eoen said:

I have it on my mac runs fine, if you run windows in a vm, or you could remote into a windows machine, or buy a cheap windows laptop.

Do you mean your are unaware of on non-Windows version?

Never having run a dual-boot Mac/Win system, I’m unaware if Safari ports over to the Windows side in such a configuration. I’m under the impresssion that Safari is a Mac-only browser. Working from that position, my next inference is that Redwense is trying to download and use it in a Mac environment, which won’t work...OggDude’s software is Win-only. I know that running it on the Windows side of a dual boot/emulated/virtual environment works, but the specific Safari inclusion is what prompted my suggestion.

7 hours ago, Nytwyng said:

Never having run a dual-boot Mac/Win system, I’m unaware if Safari ports over to the Windows side in such a configuration. I’m under the impresssion that Safari is a Mac-only browser. Working from that position, my next inference is that Redwense is trying to download and use it in a Mac environment, which won’t work...OggDude’s software is Win-only. I know that running it on the Windows side of a dual boot/emulated/virtual environment works, but the specific Safari inclusion is what prompted my suggestion.

The is a windows version of safari now that I think of it.  I think I tried it once on a windows gaming box.  

I usually use chrome on windows, it has the same hmtl rendering engine “WebKit” that safari uses.

No, it was discontinued in 2012.

Edited by Eoen

On 4/16/2018 at 1:32 PM, Nytwyng said:

Whoops, I understand the confusion! I'm running Windows 10 on a MacBook via Boot Camp, so for all intents and purposes, it's a Windows laptop. (Safari on the Mac partition, Chrome on the Windows partition. Microsoft Edge can't even download the file.) The problem I have is downloading the actual installer from OggDude's links. 

Other than that, I'm so glad this program exists. It's truly aided every SWRP table I know of and FFG should officially support it, especially with the tons of content spread out across dozens of books. And now Genesys is here with more content that's compatible with Star Wars!

Edited by Redwense

5 hours ago, Redwense said:

The problem I have is downloading the actual installer from OggDude's links. 

Ogg dudes download site has a bandwidth cap, you might have to wait till next billing cycle.