OggDude

Another Character Generator

4 hours ago, Dakkar98 said:

My copy of Suns of Fortune lists the Gravity Belt in the chart but there is no description.

Why, in particular, would one of your PC's own an item that he does not know what it does? Or does your book actually contain a description for it?

We made one up, based on previous RPGs' gravity belts and the various entries for "gravity belt" on Wookieepedia.

Hey Ogg, I've been using this for a while and it's absolutely amazing! Everyone I play with now use it as a go to for character creation and running campaigns.

I've come across a strange issue recently where any characters I make new, any data I edit, or GM tool encounters I set up become corrupted character files and from that point on, will not let me access, edit, or use them. Is this a known issue, or has something unexpected gone wrong?

Thanks for all your help.

12 hours ago, coyote6 said:

We made one up, based on previous RPGs' gravity belts and the various entries for "gravity belt" on Wookieepedia.

Supposedly the antigrav field chute and gravity belt were alternate versions of the same device, I think that the only game mechanical distinctions are cost and encumbrance 

Edited by EliasWindrider

Looks like they are staggering the books release with the larger Dawn of the Rebellion coming out first. I hope next will be Fully Operational because of how long it has been shown but never released.

I am a little confused about updating my version. I have gone in and updated the descriptions on most of the talents and gear that my group has used.  In the data editor they are listed as DESC only.  I should also mention I use the tool in portability mode.  So, what I had to do is create a whole new data set, because when I upgraded it would overwrite all the files and remove my descriptions.  So I have a second data set that I set as my data path. This means when new items are added, I have to copy them over to the new data set and it also means I don't get any fixes for the items that may have been updated.   While looking through some posts and somewhere on the program (I think it was under convert) I saw something about being able to update end carry over just my custom description, while the rest of the data updates to the newest version.  Is this true and if so how is it done.  To update now, I simply download the newest version, and unzip into my directory.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

57 minutes ago, NorEtoc said:

I am a little confused about updating my version. I have gone in and updated the descriptions on most of the talents and gear that my group has used.  In the data editor they are listed as DESC only.  I should also mention I use the tool in portability mode.  So, what I had to do is create a whole new data set, because when I upgraded it would overwrite all the files and remove my descriptions.  So I have a second data set that I set as my data path. This means when new items are added, I have to copy them over to the new data set and it also means I don't get any fixes for the items that may have been updated.   While looking through some posts and somewhere on the program (I think it was under convert) I saw something about being able to update end carry over just my custom description, while the rest of the data updates to the newest version.  Is this true and if so how is it done.  To update now, I simply download the newest version, and unzip into my directory.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

No it wont. It will never overwrite data you enter.

1 hour ago, Bojanglez said:

do you where about is it? I'm in the GM Encounter tool and see nothing there that helps, unless you are suggesting I add it as an adversary?

Open up the GM Tools, go to Adversaries and then click Import. You should be able to import a stat block for the remote by going to the Imports folder in your SWCharGen folder and searching for 'Marksman'.

Oggy,

My gaming group has a couple of requests that could benefit the community at large.

1st. Is there any way that if a character possesses ranks in the Resolve Talent that a box would appear directly beneath the Soak value that lists how many ranks the character has? Players of mine that have the talent continually forget to reduce strain damage that they take that exceeds their Soak.

2nd. We would really, really like the Battle Scars rules from Forged in Battle added into the Character Generator.

On a side note, my copy of the character generator is having an issue with the skill descriptions no being displayed even though they are all there. Any advice here would be appreciated.

Help me OggDude.

You are my only hope!

3 hours ago, Kualan said:

Open up the GM Tools, go to Adversaries and then click Import. You should be able to import a stat block for the remote by going to the Imports folder in your SWCharGen folder and searching for 'Marksman'.

You are awesome, I had no idea it worked like that.

37 minutes ago, Dakkar98 said:

On a side note, my copy of the character generator is having an issue with the skill descriptions no being displayed even though they are all there. Any advice here would be appreciated.

Sounds a lot like what's happening to me. There are a number of descriptions that no longer display for me, despite being updated in the Data Editor.

1 hour ago, Nytwyng said:

Sounds a lot like what's happening to me. There are a number of descriptions that no longer display for me, despite being updated in the Data Editor.

I think I had that happen once. I believe I cleared the cache, then went and deleted the custom data files I had, closed everything, re-opened it, then re-imported the custom data. But that was a while ago, so I may be misremembering.

Hey, Oggy - are you going to DunDraCon this weekend?

8 minutes ago, coyote6 said:

I think I had that happen once. I believe I cleared the cache, then went and deleted the custom data files I had, closed everything, re-opened it, then re-imported the custom data. But that was a while ago, so I may be misremembering.

I'll give that a try. Although it's happening on multiple computers that share the same custom data from a network drive, and it's the same data that's not displaying.

2 minutes ago, Nytwyng said:

I'll give that a try. Although it's happening on multiple computers that share the same custom data from a network drive, and it's the same data that's not displaying.

Ooh, that could be it. I think I've mentioned this before, but I store my stuff on Dropbox, and access it via my desktop PC and my laptop. For a while, characters would just disappear out of the program - I finally tentatively decided it was happening when I had the program open on both computers at once. Somehow, that would confuse things and cause one or the other to remove the files - I think. Could be that's what happened to you - you had it open on more than once PC at a time, and it got confused and wiped the data. 

I haven't tested to be sure that's the cause, because after re-entering characters from PDFs or paper copies multiple times, I ran out of enthusiasm for risking having to do that again. (Even though I do try to export an XML backup to a different folder, and thus could probably just repair any lost characters by importing, I'd rather not do that.)

32 minutes ago, coyote6 said:

sounds about right fix.

For anybody who might be able to help.

Is it possible to use the "GM Grant" funktion to give at character the skill "Uncanny Senses" with its benefits, without activating the "Force Sensitive Exile Talent Tree"?

When I mark "Uncanny Senses" under the "GM Grant" menu without the talent tree, it does not seem to affect Perception.

Hope I am understandable and somebody might be able help. In advance, thank you.

7 minutes ago, Cruelfi said:

For anybody who might be able to help.

Is it possible to use the "GM Grant" funktion to give at character the skill "Uncanny Senses" with its benefits, without activating the "Force Sensitive Exile Talent Tree"?

When I mark "Uncanny Senses" under the "GM Grant" menu without the talent tree, it does not seem to affect Perception.

Hope I am understandable and somebody might be able help. In advance, thank you.

The easiest way to do this might be to create a duplicate of the Uncanny Senses talent, not assign it to a specific tree and then Grant it... not sure how well that would work though, just rattling off top of head. :)