OggDude

Another Character Generator

53 minutes ago, OramKenor said:

Ah, so the option appears once I take the bottom row talents required? All I needed to know, thank you!

Correct.  And you're welcome.

Edit: BTW in case you aren't aware, you can only take signature abilities from your career, not cross-career specializations.

Edited by EliasWindrider

It's like how the Force Powers and Morality buttons won't show up until you have a Force rating, or how individual Force powers won't appear in the drop down unless you have the requisite Force rating for them.

As soon as you have the bottom row talents that match at least one of the two signature ability's requirements, the button will appear on the left.

4 hours ago, EliasWindrider said:

Edit: BTW in case you aren't aware, you can only take signature abilities from your career, not cross-career specializations.

Would love an option so that you could also get them from cross-career (but only appropriate career), meeting all other requirements.

It's always seemed strange that signature abilities only come from where you start your life, not where it ends up. I guess in real life I'll have to take a signature ability in quality control, which I did for 2 years, rather than the IT I've done for the next 20+.

48 minutes ago, Darzil said:

Would love an option so that you could also get them from cross-career (but only appropriate career), meeting all other requirements.

It's always seemed strange that signature abilities only come from where you start your life, not where it ends up. I guess in real life I'll have to take a signature ability in quality control, which I did for 2 years, rather than the IT I've done for the next 20+.

Whilst I agree with the sentiment (esp as I am maining mystic) you would need to do 1 of 2 things if this was the case

a) ensure that no two (if that is still a maximum allowed) combo into something totally insane (no idea how you could do this)

or

b) only allow them to be taken from 1 career (imho makes more sense)

On ‎12‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 0:33 PM, Absol197 said:

Sounds good!  Thanks, Oggy!

EDIT:  I do have a question: how can one get the new updates you make without having to re-download everything and erasing your user-input descriptions/data?  I'm sure there's a way, I'm just dumb :P .

what I normally do is copy my files to a memory stick so incase I have to delete and reinstall I just copy and paste everything back into the generator.

Just now, kiranar said:

what I normally do is copy my files to a memory stick so incase I have to delete and reinstall I just copy and paste everything back into the generator.

Ooh!  That's a good idea, fellow Shilian!  Whereabouts would I find my user data?  I sure I can find it, but I'm away from my computer at the moment...

I just updated the software to replace a very old version. I'm now getting a consistent XML error from the data editor. It will let me create an item, mod, etc. but always throws up a fatal error when I try to modify it again. This also happens with standard data entries, and custom items always vanish if I close the editor, even if save has been clicked.

Is this a current issue? If so, what would be helpful for debugging? Should I just attempt a reinstall?

20 hours ago, Random Bystander said:

Whilst I agree with the sentiment (esp as I am maining mystic) you would need to do 1 of 2 things if this was the case

a) ensure that no two (if that is still a maximum allowed) combo into something totally insane (no idea how you could do this)

or

b) only allow them to be taken from 1 career (imho makes more sense)

The quick and dirty fix would be to say "You cannot use signature abilities from more than one career in the same scene/encounter." That prevents any unforeseen combinations while still allowing those few careers whose signature abilities already synergize to keep using them together.

Of course, since we're in house-rule territory already, the GM can always address detrimental combos on an ad hoc basis.

15 hours ago, Ssabak said:

I just updated the software to replace a very old version. I'm now getting a consistent XML error from the data editor. It will let me create an item, mod, etc. but always throws up a fatal error when I try to modify it again. This also happens with standard data entries, and custom items always vanish if I close the editor, even if save has been clicked.

Is this a current issue? If so, what would be helpful for debugging? Should I just attempt a reinstall?

Tried an uninstall & reinstall. The XML error persists.

50 minutes ago, Daeglan said:

depending on how old your install was there was a database change... did the new version ask to update?

It did ask, and the previous version was quite old. I'm trying to delete the data folders now for a clean install, but I'm having trouble figuring out how (the uninstaller leaves the transferred data in place, but I don't know where so I can't delete it).

I cleared the data out prior to installation. Still causing the issue. However, after fooling with it further it appears the problem is limited to item attachments.

Clicking Add for an Item Attachmentcauses it immediately. I can copy an item and edit it, and click Save without issue, but the new item is not saved and vanishes on close. I Modified an existing attachment, also to no avail. I was able to add a custom skill, which does show up correctly, so I'm pretty certain there is an issue with the XML scripts for saving or creating Item Attachments.

On ‎12‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 4:55 PM, Absol197 said:

Ooh!  That's a good idea, fellow Shilian!  Whereabouts would I find my user data?  I sure I can find it, but I'm away from my computer at the moment...

On the launcher just click Data folder to bring up the window with all the folders of your data then copy that onto the memory stick simple way to backup which was a good idea on Oggdude's part allowing such an easy backup method.

The error is back it looks to me like someone is DDOSing Oggys download site or the generator is just that good which I figure it is a mixture of the two.

Good bypass that is working for me is to search then click on the launcher to bypass the download portion it was mention by a few others in the thread I am just reposting it to ease the search process. I am mostly been playing Seeker career togruta which couple are hunter/ataru striker and one is executioner/ataru striker for specializations is the reason for my picture.

SWCharGenLauncher.exe

Edited by kiranar
adding more info

So I'm newer to the SWRPG scene and came across this tool. Now when I click on the link, it tells me it has exceeded the download limit. Is that time based? Will I be able to still download it? 

I can't figure out how to download this generator. I want to try it.. but it seems like I can't bypass this horrid Pcloud crap to download it. Is there another upload of it, something on Google Drive maybe?

23 hours ago, kiranar said:

The error is back it looks to me like someone is DDOSing Oggys download site or the generator is just that good which I figure it is a mixture of the two.

Good bypass that is working for me is to search then click on the launcher to bypass the download portion it was mention by a few others in the thread I am just reposting it to ease the search process. I am mostly been playing Seeker career togruta which couple are hunter/ataru striker and one is executioner/ataru striker for specializations is the reason for my picture.

SWCharGenLauncher.exe

It looks like his site went over it's data limit, not DDOSed.

FYI, for the workaroung Kiranar posted to work, you want to make sure you use the version of the file in the apps directory under your user profile's app data.  If you have an old install you may find that again, and while it may run, it will likely be missing all your data.

I'm having a new error when I attempt to run the web version launcher.  It says the formatting is incorrect, and gives me this message:

PLATFORM VERSION INFO
    Windows             : 10.0.16299.0 (Win32NT)
    Common Language Runtime     : 4.0.30319.42000
    System.Deployment.dll         : 4.7.2556.0 built by: NET471REL1
    clr.dll             : 4.7.2600.0 built by: NET471REL1LAST
    dfdll.dll             : 4.7.2556.0 built by: NET471REL1
    dfshim.dll             : 10.0.16299.15 (WinBuild.160101.0800)

SOURCES
    Deployment url            : file:///C:/Users/Matt/Desktop/Star%20Wars%20Character%20Generator%20and%20GM%20Tools.appref-ms%7C

ERROR SUMMARY
    Below is a summary of the errors, details of these errors are listed later in the log.
    * Activation of C:\Users\Matt\Desktop\Star Wars Character Generator and GM Tools.appref-ms| resulted in exception. Following failure messages were detected:
        + Exception reading manifest from https://filedn.com/lztHAyW36l7XJX76OLMTm4R/SWCharGen/Deploy/SWCharGenLauncher.application: the manifest may not be valid or the file could not be opened.
        + DTD is prohibited in this XML document.

COMPONENT STORE TRANSACTION FAILURE SUMMARY
    No transaction error was detected.

WARNINGS
    There were no warnings during this operation.

OPERATION PROGRESS STATUS
    * [12/17/2017 6:43:41 PM] : Activation of C:\Users\Matt\Desktop\Star Wars Character Generator and GM Tools.appref-ms| has started.
    * [12/17/2017 6:43:41 PM] : Performing necessary update check as specified by the deployment.

ERROR DETAILS
    Following errors were detected during this operation.
    * [12/17/2017 6:43:41 PM] System.Deployment.Application.InvalidDeploymentException (ManifestParse)
        - Exception reading manifest from https://filedn.com/lztHAyW36l7XJX76OLMTm4R/SWCharGen/Deploy/SWCharGenLauncher.application: the manifest may not be valid or the file could not be opened.
        - Source: System.Deployment
        - Stack trace:
            at System.Deployment.Application.ManifestReader.FromDocument(String localPath, ManifestType manifestType, Uri sourceUri)
            at System.Deployment.Application.DownloadManager.DownloadDeploymentManifestDirect(SubscriptionStore subStore, Uri& sourceUri, TempFile& tempFile, IDownloadNotification notification, DownloadOptions options, ServerInformation& serverInformation)
            at System.Deployment.Application.DownloadManager.DownloadDeploymentManifest(SubscriptionStore subStore, Uri& sourceUri, TempFile& tempFile, IDownloadNotification notification, DownloadOptions options)
            at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.PerformDeploymentUpdate(SubscriptionState& subState, String& errorPageUrl)
            at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.ProcessOrFollowShortcut(String shortcutFile, String& errorPageUrl, TempFile& deployFile)
            at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.PerformDeploymentActivation(Uri activationUri, Boolean isShortcut, String textualSubId, String deploymentProviderUrlFromExtension, BrowserSettings browserSettings, String& errorPageUrl, Uri& deploymentUri)
            at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.PerformDeploymentActivationWithRetry(Uri activationUri, Boolean isShortcut, String textualSubId, String deploymentProviderUrlFromExtension, BrowserSettings browserSettings, String& errorPageUrl)
--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
            at System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw()
            at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.PerformDeploymentActivationWithRetry(Uri activationUri, Boolean isShortcut, String textualSubId, String deploymentProviderUrlFromExtension, BrowserSettings browserSettings, String& errorPageUrl)
            at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.ActivateDeploymentWorker(Object state)
        --- Inner Exception ---
        System.Xml.XmlException
        - DTD is prohibited in this XML document.
        - Source: System.Xml
        - Stack trace:
            at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Throw(Exception e)
            at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ParseDoctypeDecl()
            at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ParseDocumentContent()
            at System.Deployment.Application.ManifestValidatingReader.XmlFilteredReader.Read()
            at System.Xml.XsdValidatingReader.Read()
            at System.Deployment.Application.ManifestReader.FromDocument(String localPath, ManifestType manifestType, Uri sourceUri)

COMPONENT STORE TRANSACTION DETAILS
    No transaction information is available.

Any help?

I'm trying to do a manual download so I can upgrade to the latest version and I get this message from pcloud.

"Limited Traffic. Access to this content was limited, because the owner has exceeded their
download traffic."

Is there some kind of limit per day or month on pcloud?

Everyone with the web install is getting that error message. Apparently, OggDude's host ran out of bandwidth for the month; it happened last month, too. Seems like someone or something is doing a heck of a lot of downloading, or something.

Search your hard drive for SWCharGenLauncher.exe, then create a shortcut directly to that executable. It will run the program and bypass the update check - it's the update check failing that causes the error.