OggDude

Another Character Generator

6 hours ago, Nytwyng said:

Click "Options," and make sure Disciples of Harmony is selected as a source to display.

I know, that's kind of annoying.  I need to change the way I save sources so new ones are automatically added...

I found an error on the crafting for crafting the double bladed lightsaber hilt. When you take the option to raise the unwieldy by 1 should only raise the unwieldy to four but the generator will raise it by 2 instead. It is only soppose to raise it by two if the hilt doesn't have unwieldy already. It was found earlier when my seeker jedi character crafted a double bladed lightsaber hilt it may of been missed, and that seems like a minor problem that will be fixed when he gets to it.

Thanks for the update!

I found a couple of bugs while doing data entry on Disciples of Harmony:

Imbue - Duration has 2 slightly different versions, but the power tree only has one.

Ebb/Flow - Strength has 3 different versions, but only one is used in the tree.

The last one isn't necessarily a bug since it matches the print, but Ebb/Flow Mastery is labeled Control in the tree.

I fixed Imbue and Ebb/Flow.  It'll be in the next bug fix release.

The mentor changes will take some design work, however.  Currently, the "stock" mentor rule is applied separately for each basic power, since a character may not have had a mentor when he learned a particular power (including purchasing a power during character creation).  With the new mentor rules, this still applies, but only to particular powers and/or upgrades, and not always just the basic power.  Additionally, once a particular type of mentor is selected for a character, the character will automatically incur a drawback that costs XP to remove.

So... there's going to have to be a change to how Force powers are discounted.  More than likely, I'll need to have some sort of "mentor" check per ability, rather than just once at the top.  For instance, Dagoyan Masters can discount Control upgrades for a few powers.  But, not every Control upgrade might be discounted, depending up upon whether or not the character had this master when he bought that upgrade.

In other words, FFG really complicated the whole mentor thing :)  And as of now, I don't know how I'll end up implementing it.

21 hours ago, kiranar said:

I found an error on the crafting for crafting the double bladed lightsaber hilt. When you take the option to raise the unwieldy by 1 should only raise the unwieldy to four but the generator will raise it by 2 instead. It is only soppose to raise it by two if the hilt doesn't have unwieldy already. It was found earlier when my seeker jedi character crafted a double bladed lightsaber hilt it may of been missed, and that seems like a minor problem that will be fixed when he gets to it.

Have you tried this with the latest release (2.2.1.0)?  This problem was fixed, and I just verified that it works.  A double-bladed lightsaber hilt (Unwieldy 3) with the Awkward Grip drawback will only raise it to Unwieldy 4.  If you apply Awkward Grip to a lightsaber or hilt without an Unwieldy quality, the first application will give it Unwieldy 2, then subsequent applications will raise it by one.

I am now generating my Hero of Tython for a Old Republic game session me and a few friends are doing, I really like how easy this generator tool is. Though its missing the Sith Fury Interceptor, sadly FFG doesnt have any rules for that time period. At least they got the A-Wing {my favorite starfighter in ANY scifi universe!!}

7 minutes ago, Ni Fang said:

I am now generating my Hero of Tython for a Old Republic game session me and a few friends are doing, I really like how easy this generator tool is. Though its missing the Sith Fury Interceptor, sadly FFG doesnt have any rules for that time period. At least they got the A-Wing {my favorite starfighter in ANY scifi universe!!}

You can use the Data Editor to create any starship you want :) Or pretty much anything else, for that matter.

Anyone else having issues with new web install?

Download is getting to 80.8 MB of 170 MB for me during setup, and then stopping and erroring out. Have tried 4 or 5 times and has stopped at same point each time.

Edit: (Same file each time - anything I need to clear out somewhere?)

Downloading https://filedn.com/lztHAyW36l7XJX76OLMTm4R/SWCharGen/Deploy/Application Files/SWCharGenLauncher_2_2_1_0/Imports/Jewel of Yavin/Adversaries/Lutrillian Merchant - Rival.xml did not succeed.
        + The operation has timed out

Edited by Darzil

3 hours ago, kaosoe said:

Would a mentor be something you could apply to the character rather than at purchase of a specific power?

Pretty much has to be done this way to not be a huge mess, I think.  

Could just be an option menu with a dropdown of the preset mentor types from DoH (and user entered ones, you know people are going to want their Ewok Shaman mentor in there) with one option for the old-school checkbox per power discounts.  Then the costs change on the trees based on what is selected on the mentor screen.  If you want to handle the possibility of not getting all of the bonuses from one mentor there could be a checkbox list after selecting the mentor type where you can deselect some of the bonuses (and pay off the drawback). Could be laid out something like the obligation screen except the right panel has checkboxes for which bonuses you got from that mentor.  I think that would provide a clean way of interfacing with a much more complicated system than the old one.  

13 minutes ago, Matope said:

Pretty much has to be done this way to not be a huge mess, I think.  

Could just be an option menu with a dropdown of the preset mentor types from DoH (and user entered ones, you know people are going to want their Ewok Shaman mentor in there) with one option for the old-school checkbox per power discounts.  Then the costs change on the trees based on what is selected on the mentor screen.  If you want to handle the possibility of not getting all of the bonuses from one mentor there could be a checkbox list after selecting the mentor type where you can deselect some of the bonuses (and pay off the drawback). Could be laid out something like the obligation screen except the right panel has checkboxes for which bonuses you got from that mentor.  I think that would provide a clean way of interfacing with a much more complicated system than the old one.  

I guess the real challenge would be when would the discount(s) apply?

I believe OggDude generates the final character as needed. Meaning, if my character had purchased 3 force powers, the the first one I got during character creation, and the other 2 were purchased after receiving the mentor bonus, when the builder goes to generate the XP costs, it would need to know which powers received the discount and which did not.

52 minutes ago, kaosoe said:

I guess the real challenge would be when would the discount(s) apply?

I believe OggDude generates the final character as needed. Meaning, if my character had purchased 3 force powers, the the first one I got during character creation, and the other 2 were purchased after receiving the mentor bonus, when the builder goes to generate the XP costs, it would need to know which powers received the discount and which did not.

That's what the checkboxes I was describing were for, so you can deselect any of the discounts that don't apply.

As Kaosoe said, there's cases where the PCs get a mentor mid-game, so only powers and abilities purchased after that point would receive the discounts.  If it was a blanket option, then as soon as the mentor was chosen, the character would magically get extra XP back if they had already bought a power or ability that the mentor applies to.  If character conditions change, XP isn't supposed to be retroactively affected.

It's sort of the same issue I ran into with non-career skills.  If a skill becomes a career skill after ranks were purchased as a non-career skill, the generator still needed to keep track of it.  If it didn't, a character would receive an instant XP rebate.  That's why the Skill grid has a "Non-Career" column:  to keep track of purchased non-career ranks.

Edited by OggDude

10 hours ago, Ni Fang said:

I made a bunch of Old Republic vehicles if you want to use them. http://beginnerrpg.com/star-wars-the-old-republic-vehicles/

6 hours ago, Darzil said:

Anyone else having issues with new web install?

Download is getting to 80.8 MB of 170 MB for me during setup, and then stopping and erroring out. Have tried 4 or 5 times and has stopped at same point each time.

Edit: (Same file each time - anything I need to clear out somewhere?)

Downloading https://filedn.com/lztHAyW36l7XJX76OLMTm4R/SWCharGen/Deploy/Application Files/SWCharGenLauncher_2_2_1_0/Imports/Jewel of Yavin/Adversaries/Lutrillian Merchant - Rival.xml did not succeed.
        + The operation has timed out

This happened to me a few times when I was trying to set it up. When I kept the install window in focus for the entire download, though, it worked (might just have been random luck).

3 hours ago, OggDude said:

As Kaosoe said, there's cases where the PCs get a mentor mid-game, so only powers and abilities purchased after that point would receive the discounts.  If it was a blanket option, then as soon as the mentor was chosen, the character would magically get extra XP back if they had already bought a power or ability that the mentor applies to.  If character conditions change, XP isn't supposed to be retroactively affected.

It's sort of the same issue I ran into with non-career skills.  If a skill becomes a career skill after ranks were purchased as a non-career skill, the generator still needed to keep track of it.  If it didn't, a character would receive an instant XP rebate.  That's why the Skill grid has a "Non-Career" column:  to keep track of purchased non-career ranks.

I was accounting for that, but I guess not explaining it well enough.  Here's a rough edit to show what I mean, there'd probably be a little more explanatory text around these, but the idea is if you get the mentor early they're all checked.  Then you can remove the drawback for an XP cost, or uncheck others if you somehow lose the mentor.  If you add a mentor after buying powers you could have it look for existing powers and default those to unchecked.

Mentor Options.png

Edited by Matope