OggDude

Another Character Generator

1 hour ago, Seam said:

I just want to take the opportunity to thank you for this proggy which is beyond awesome! Thanks!

In fact, I think, SWCharGen is now indispensable because the game has become so complicated with all the equipment, attachments, modifications, talents, powers, etc.

While I just love every new book, without the SWCharGen, the additional stuff would simply not be useable.

That is why we all wait until it is built into the program before we add any of the new features to our characters!!

I wonder if FFG knows this...?

If they did, then they would realise that the sale of new material actually depends on whether the program is being maintained!!

I know the Devs are well aware of OggDude's program. They don't seem to mind its existance. I never asked any of them what they actually thought about the program or its use.

8 minutes ago, kaosoe said:

I know the Devs are well aware of OggDude's program. They don't seem to mind its existance. I never asked any of them what they actually thought about the program or its use.

Well, if you get a chance, ask them if they think that this "pen and paper game" can still be played without it! :)

I remember the same thing happening with D&D 4e. In the beginning (level 1 to 5 or so), you were fine with pen and paper. But after that you just had to subscribe to their character generator. We played all the way through to level 30, so I know!

I have a Star Wars character with over 2500 XP, so I know this is the case in the SWRPG as well: you just cannot do it without a character generator.

In fact, that was one reason I also created the Datapad App with the Dice Pool "checklist". After a while you have so many options on a Dice Pool that you are bound to forget something.

3 hours ago, Seam said:

I just want to take the opportunity to thank you for this proggy which is beyond awesome! Thanks!

1 hour ago, Fringer said:

In fact, I think, SWCharGen is now indispensable because the game has become so complicated with all the equipment, attachments, modifications, talents, powers, etc.

While I just love every new book, without the SWCharGen, the additional stuff would simply not be useable.

That is why we all wait until it is built into the program before we add any of the new features to our characters!!

I wonder if FFG knows this...?

If they did, then they would realise that the sale of new material actually depends on whether the program is being maintained!!

I agree!  This is one of the few freeware programs that I've donated money to, that's how awesome it is.  I encourage everyone else to do the same!  :D

3 hours ago, Fringer said:

In fact, that was one reason I also created the Datapad App with the Dice Pool "checklist". After a while you have so many options on a Dice Pool that you are bound to forget something.

@Fringer Do you have a link to your Datapad App?

9 hours ago, Fringer said:

Well, if you get a chance, ask them if they think that this "pen and paper game" can still be played without it! :)

I remember the same thing happening with D&D 4e. In the beginning (level 1 to 5 or so), you were fine with pen and paper. But after that you just had to subscribe to their character generator. We played all the way through to level 30, so I know!

I have a Star Wars character with over 2500 XP, so I know this is the case in the SWRPG as well: you just cannot do it without a character generator.

I'd say it's possible.

It's not easy, and it would certainly behoove the player to have copies of their various talent trees printed out for quick reference, but it is doable, even if it is cumbersome.

That said, having the generator makes things a lot easier, and cuts down on the chances of math mistakes where XP has been spent.  Having had one player that kept screwing up the math on her character (over-spending one week, under-spending the next), getting her to use OggDude's made all the GMs in that particular group breath a sigh of relief.

4e's biggest hurdle was just the sheer volume of content they keep cranking out, especially if you included the Dragon material that got pushed out on a monthly basis be it new class powers, new species, new magic items, or even new templates.  At least with the FFG system, it's not that difficult to print out the talent trees, or avail oneself of the PDF compilations of said trees that a couple different folks have created, something that never occurred given how over-the-top paranoid WotC was about digital piracy.

On 08/09/2017 at 4:09 PM, Volt80 said:

I agree!  This is one of the few freeware programs that I've donated money to, that's how awesome it is.  I encourage everyone else to do the same!  :D

Same thing for me.

The question is : would FFG sell that program, what would be its cost ? I very much prefer to donate to OggDude because I want it rather than pay because I have to...:huh:

16 minutes ago, RNST said:

Same thing for me.

The question is : would FFG sell that program, what would be its cost ? I very much prefer to donate to OggDude because I want it rather than pay because I have to...:huh:

Given its nature, it would almost certainly fall under the same umbrella as the clause that prevents distribution of pdf's of the books: delivery of game content would be considered "electronic gaming." Also, by including the game content, unless content updates were at a charge, it would almost certainly cut into sales of the books. Even with updates at a charge, unless they were the same price as the books, it would still cut into book sales. (Not eliminate them, but cut into them.)

On 9/7/2017 at 4:49 PM, OggDude said:

So, it looks like I need to find another cloud host.  I'm currently looking into pCloud, as I've heard that it has learned from DropBox's mistake in this regard.

Hey there. Have you thought about starting a repo on GitHub and using the releases? The repo could be empty and you could just upload all of the releases there

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this message (apologies in advance if not), but I apparently I can't send any private messages to Oggdude.

Oggdude, I'm compiling an inofficial fan-made errata for the German version of the AoR and FaD Core rulebooks. May I use your Word backgrond template and the SWRPGIcons font for it?

By the way: Thank you for your Character Generator. It is truly a godsend for any player or GM.

To keep you up to date, I'm about half way through adding DoH, as well as fixing a few more bugs.  I believe I've found a new hosting site in pCloud, although Chrome seems to dislike the site for some reason.  I'll let you know when the new version is ready.

In the manual under adversaries is this section:

PCS AS ADVERSARIES
In addition to any created or imported adversaries, the adversary list will also contain special “adversaries” based upon the characters you currently have defined in the SW Character Generator. These PC adversaries are generated automatically when you start the SW GM Tools and are based off of what each character would look like if it were created as an adversary. These PC adversaries all have a category of “Player Characters” so they may be easily filtered.
You can use a PC adversary in your encounters just like any other adversary, or you can create stat blocks for them. You just cannot modify or remove these adversaries. If a PC is changed in the SW Character Generator, those changes will automatically show up in their adversary counterparts. That means if you make a change, you can reprint an encounter to which a PC adversary belongs, and automatically get the latest and correct stats.

I have seen these and created an encounter for when the party is aboard their ship. I went to print out an updated one today to reflect one of the character's having taken the Rigger Specialization, and half of the party no longer appears in the adversary list. They are still in the character list in the character generator, but they are not being generated as adversaries when you launch the GM tools as stated above.

What do I do to fix this?

Thanks in advance!

Hey, whenever I try to print a vehicle or a character sheet that has a vehicle, if it has attachments, all it will give me is the second page that says attachments continued. It won't give me the first page with the ship's stats. Any idea how to fix this?

9 hours ago, Rozial said:

Hey, whenever I try to print a vehicle or a character sheet that has a vehicle, if it has attachments, all it will give me is the second page that says attachments continued. It won't give me the first page with the ship's stats. Any idea how to fix this?

Known bug. Oggy is aware of it and said its already fixed in the next update he just needs to release it.