OggDude

Another Character Generator

41 minutes ago, OggDude said:

Here's a list of all the supported tags for description text.  Tags (full and short) and end tags should be inside square brackets ([<tag>]).  Symbols don't require end tags, but fonts, styles, formatting, etc., require them if you want to end the style.  You can combine tags to format your text how you like it.  

You can also add HTML to descriptions, such as for unordered lists, tables, or whatever.

Hide contents

Symbols

Full Tag

Short Tag

Description

ABILITY

AB

Ability Die

ADVANTAGE

AD

Advantage

BOOST

BO

Boost Die

CHALLENGE

CH

Challenge Die

DARK

DA

Dark Force Pip

DESPAIR

DE

Despair

DIFFICULTY

DI

Difficulty Die

FAILURE

FA

Failure

SUCCESS

SU

Success

FORCE

FO

Force Die

LIGHT

LI

Light Force Pip

PROFICIENCY

PR

Proficiency Die

SETBACK

SE

Setback Die

THREAT

TH

Threat

TRIUMPH

TR

Triumph

RESTRICTED

RE

Restricted

REMSETBACK

RS

Remove Setback Die

FORCEPOINT

FP

Light/Dark Force Pip

ADDDIFFICULTY

DD

Add Difficulty

UPDIFFICULTY

UD

Upgrade Difficulty

CANTHREAT

CT

Remove/Cancel Threat

Font Styles and Sizes

Tag

Description

End Tag

S

Small

s

L

Large

l

T

Talent

t

TA

Talent Alt Line

ta

W

Weapon

w

WA

Weapon Alt Line

wa

TBW

Talent BW

tbw

TABW

Talent Alt BW

tabw

WBW

Weapon BW

wbw

WABW

Weapon Alt BW

wabw

OP

Options

op

IN

Info

in

S1

Size 1 (Smallest)

s1

S2

Size 2

s2

S3

Size 3

s3

S4

Size 4

s4

S5

Size 5

s5

S6

Size 6

s6

S7

Size 7

s7

S8

Size 8

s8

S9

Size 9

s9

S10

Size 10 (Largest)

s10

Fonts

Tag

Font Name

End Tag

SW

Star Wars

sw

AURE

Aurebesh

aure

TEUT

Teuton

teut

SYM

SWRPG Symbols

sym

MIS

Mistral (Handwriting)

mis

Formatting

Tag

Description

End Tag

H1

Header 1

h1

H2

Header 2

h2

H3

Header 3

h3

H4

Header 4

h4

B

Bold

b

I

Italic

i

U

Underline

u

P

Paragraph

p

BR

Line Break

br

Then I guess the bug is: Your side bar help in the data editor says that [FF] is [ADDDIFFICULTY] and [UP] is [UPDIFFICULTY]

second very minor bug is your missing a T in [CANTHREAT] I think it should be [CANTTHREAT].  But that one isn't important.  Just OCD kicking in.  :)

Hi OggDude!

First, great job on the app! Me and my players want to thank you for improving our game experience tremendously.

Second, I've run into a problem. In the Sense power tree there seems to be a slight error in the far left branch. There's supposed to be a "Duration" upgrade but instead there's a copy of the "Sense thoughts" upgrade in the text. I corrected it in my local files, but it returned after I started using the web install. Iv'e tried to correct it again but I can't seem to find the file. 

Anyway, this typing error might be on your end as well, because it returned after I used the web install, and I just wanted to bring it to your attention.

Regards,

ForceUser

20 hours ago, ForceUser said:

Second, I've run into a problem. In the Sense power tree there seems to be a slight error in the far left branch. There's supposed to be a "Duration" upgrade but instead there's a copy of the "Sense thoughts" upgrade in the text. I corrected it in my local files, but it returned after I started using the web install. Iv'e tried to correct it again but I can't seem to find the file. 

Anyway, this typing error might be on your end as well, because it returned after I used the web install, and I just wanted to bring it to your attention.

Regards,

ForceUser

FWIW, I'm not seeing that. I see Control, Duration, Strength, Control on the left side of the Sense tree. I wonder if an imported data source could overwrite that?

Hi OggDude, or any other who might be able to advise me.

I've been using the character generator for quite a while with only minimal problems.  One of my character files got screwed up, probably user error, so I figured I'd just rebuild it from scratch.  I had a hard copy, so not a big deal.

The problem I keep running into is in regards to a GM Grant.  All our characters have been granted the Recruit Tree.  I activate Grants in the options, select the Recruit,  no problem.  The issue is that every time I quit out of the program it forgets about grants.  When I restart the program I have to go back into options, re-check grants, and then go back into the grants windows again.  Recruit is usually already checked, but I have to open the windows, then hit OK for it to take effect again. 

Any thoughts or advise would be appreciated.  Apologies if this has been addressed, there's so many pages now that it's a bit much to search everything.

31 minutes ago, Split Light said:

Hi OggDude, or any other who might be able to advise me.

I've been using the character generator for quite a while with only minimal problems.  One of my character files got screwed up, probably user error, so I figured I'd just rebuild it from scratch.  I had a hard copy, so not a big deal.

The problem I keep running into is in regards to a GM Grant.  All our characters have been granted the Recruit Tree.  I activate Grants in the options, select the Recruit,  no problem.  The issue is that every time I quit out of the program it forgets about grants.  When I restart the program I have to go back into options, re-check grants, and then go back into the grants windows again.  Recruit is usually already checked, but I have to open the windows, then hit OK for it to take effect again. 

Any thoughts or advise would be appreciated.  Apologies if this has been addressed, there's so many pages now that it's a bit much to search everything.

Never Mind,

I do Tech Support for a living, so you think it would occur to me to do some basic stuff myself.  Once my brain clicked in I did a system reboot and now it's fine.  This is why I try to be patient with my customers, because even the tech guy has moments of supreme stupidity.

3 hours ago, coyote6 said:

FWIW, I'm not seeing that. I see Control, Duration, Strength, Control on the left side of the Sense tree. I wonder if an imported data source could overwrite that?

You mean if I paste in a local file of the Sense power?

3 hours ago, ForceUser said:

You mean if I paste in a local file of the Sense power?

You can download & import data sets with stuff other people have entered (home brew gear, stuff from books that hasn't been added, more complete descriptions, etc.); those data sets could also include variants of existing powers and such. So I was wondering if you had a data set imported that somehow changed that power. 

Request/suggestion: How difficult would it be to allow a discounted or set XP costfor purchasing a Specialization for a species?

For example: One group I play in uses homebrew stats for Clone Troopers as a species, with the GM offering the Recruit spec to Clone Troopers for a 10 XP cost. Would it be difficult to flag that sort of thing for a species (or even just as a GM grant)? Or is it already there, and I just don't see how to do it?

Edited by Nytwyng

14 hours ago, coyote6 said:

You can download & import data sets with stuff other people have entered (home brew gear, stuff from books that hasn't been added, more complete descriptions, etc.); those data sets could also include variants of existing powers and such. So I was wondering if you had a data set imported that somehow changed that power. 

I see. Nope, I haven't downloaded anything except from OggDude.

I think I found a bug.

I have a character with 4 Brawn with 2 ranks in "Feral Strength" ("The character deals +1 damage on one hit on all successful Brawl and Melee checks per rank of Feral Strength").  However, when I print a character sheet showing "Unarmed" "weapon" it shows only 4 damage.  I believe this should be 6.

Am I missing something?

I'm hoping someone can help with this question. I am looking to make a Cybernetic arm with a hard point that I can add different hand attachments to. Specifically a pick for mining that can also be used as a weapon.
I created the arm with one hardpoint. No problem there.
I created an attachment called pick hand. I went into the attachment, and added a built in weapon under the mod/weapon section. I put in the stats for a simple melee weapon. The description though did not update with the weapon stats. Additionally, when adding it to the adversary, I see the arm, the attachement (pick hand), but no stats for the weapon. Anyone know how this can be done?

10 hours ago, Nytwyng said:

Request/suggestion: How difficult would it be to allow a discounted or set XP costfor purchasing a Specialization for a species?

For example: One group I play in uses homebrew stats for Clone Troopers as a species, with the GM offering the Recruit spec to Clone Troopers for a 10 XP cost. Would it be difficult to flag that sort of thing for a species (or even just as a GM grant)? Or is it already there, and I just don't see how to do it?

Load up the Chareditor, go to option -> Allow GM Grants (nake sure its checked). On the Descrption Tab, you can give someone GM grants, free spec, talents, skill, force rating, though no variable XP costs.

2 hours ago, NorEtoc said:

I'm hoping someone can help with this question. I am looking to make a Cybernetic arm with a hard point that I can add different hand attachments to. Specifically a pick for mining that can also be used as a weapon.
I created the arm with one hardpoint. No problem there.
I created an attachment called pick hand. I went into the attachment, and added a built in weapon under the mod/weapon section. I put in the stats for a simple melee weapon. The description though did not update with the weapon stats. Additionally, when adding it to the adversary, I see the arm, the attachement (pick hand), but no stats for the weapon. Anyone know how this can be done?

It sounds like you're overthinking this one. If it is for an NPC, just put the item in its inventory, and then put the weapon as a weapon. I wouldn't over-complicate it worrying about all the nitty gritty of making that work.

16 minutes ago, biggreen10 said:

It sounds like you're overthinking this one. If it is for an NPC, just put the item in its inventory, and then put the weapon as a weapon. I wouldn't over-complicate it worrying about all the nitty gritty of making that work.

That is kind of missing the point.  I have a player who is a cyberneticist who may want to use these.  If the option to have a built in weapon in an attachment is there, but not showing up, then I figure I am doing something wrong.  I would really like to find out what.  I know how to work around it but I want to know how the option works.

So, really loving all the features of this program!  It's really superb.  I do have a problem though, and it involves getting information out of the program once you've put it in.

Printing out my players character sheets is no big deal, but I've been statting up NPCs (partly to get a handle on the system, partly so I have their stats if/when they become relevant) and just today started working on adversaries for the players.  Now, I'm having a problem getting that information into a usable format.  I don't really want to print (even to pdf) a full character sheet for every NPC, and the stat blocks for the Adversaries, while they look really cool, are somewhat difficult to work with (being only images).  For reference, when I was running Saga edition, I just had a table set up in Word as a template for an NPC stat block, and would type it up manually for each NPC, adding a row at the bottom to track HP and Condition for each NPC in a group.  So, how do others find the "most usable" way to get NPC data from this program?

3 hours ago, NorEtoc said:

That is kind of missing the point.  I have a player who is a cyberneticist who may want to use these.  If the option to have a built in weapon in an attachment is there, but not showing up, then I figure I am doing something wrong.  I would really like to find out what.  I know how to work around it but I want to know how the option works.

The arm needs to be equipped before the weapon will appear.

8 hours ago, judgeender said:

I think I found a bug.

I have a character with 4 Brawn with 2 ranks in "Feral Strength" ("The character deals +1 damage on one hit on all successful Brawl and Melee checks per rank of Feral Strength").  However, when I print a character sheet showing "Unarmed" "weapon" it shows only 4 damage.  I believe this should be 6.

Am I missing something?

I just tried it and it's showing up as 6 damage (Hired Gun/Marauder with 2 ranks in Feral Strength and Brawn of 4).

43 minutes ago, ErikModi said:

So, really loving all the features of this program!  It's really superb.  I do have a problem though, and it involves getting information out of the program once you've put it in.

Printing out my players character sheets is no big deal, but I've been statting up NPCs (partly to get a handle on the system, partly so I have their stats if/when they become relevant) and just today started working on adversaries for the players.  Now, I'm having a problem getting that information into a usable format.  I don't really want to print (even to pdf) a full character sheet for every NPC, and the stat blocks for the Adversaries, while they look really cool, are somewhat difficult to work with (being only images).  For reference, when I was running Saga edition, I just had a table set up in Word as a template for an NPC stat block, and would type it up manually for each NPC, adding a row at the bottom to track HP and Condition for each NPC in a group.  So, how do others find the "most usable" way to get NPC data from this program?

You can create actual adversaries using GM Tools.  Once you add an adversary, you can either get a stat block for it, or (preferably) use the adversary in an encounter.  The encounter sheets not only give you the adversary's stats, skills, and equipment, but also have areas to keep track of wound, strain, and conditions.  So, create your NPC as an adversary and print out encounter sheets as needed.

Incidentally, the app comes with adversaries and encounters for just about every published adventure.  That's well over 600 adversaries that you can just import into your system.  Also, bases use adversaries for NPCs, and you can import and create adversaries for PC "companions", such as droids, pets, siblings, friends, or whatever.

6 hours ago, Paris Teta said:

Load up the Chareditor, go to option -> Allow GM Grants (nake sure its checked). On the Descrption Tab, you can give someone GM grants, free spec, talents, skill, force rating, though no variable XP costs.

Yeah, I'm familiar the GM Grants. I was just curious if it would be difficult to code in discounts of that nature without having to use a workaround like GM Grants or giving the character the extra XP as a freebie to simulate the discount.

Edited by Nytwyng

Yeah, made the adversaries, which went swimmingly, but the encounter sheets don't seem as user-friendly as I'd like, especially if I'm just running them off to have NPC stats to hand, instead of building them as an encounter.  I'll take another look, though, see if I can parse the data better in my head.  It's been a long couple of days, so I'm relaxing with GM Star Warsiness.

1 minute ago, ErikModi said:

Yeah, made the adversaries, which went swimmingly, but the encounter sheets don't seem as user-friendly as I'd like, especially if I'm just running them off to have NPC stats to hand, instead of building them as an encounter.  I'll take another look, though, see if I can parse the data better in my head.  It's been a long couple of days, so I'm relaxing with GM Star Warsiness.

I copy the stat blocks and paste them into Word, then print.

3 hours ago, OggDude said:

I just tried it and it's showing up as 6 damage (Hired Gun/Marauder with 2 ranks in Feral Strength and Brawn of 4).

I saw your response.  I just tried reprinting and mine still shows the wrong number.  Character started as a Wookie with 4 Brawn as Shi-Cho Knight, switched to Marauder and picked up 2 ranks of Feral Strength.  Unarmed still shows 4 damage on the printout.  It shows the 2 extra for the Ryyk Blade (shows 8 damage) and dual Ryyk Blade (shows 6(+2) for both), but Unarmed shows 4.

I just tried creating a new Wookie (no change to characteristics, so a Brawn of 3) with Marauder and 2 ranks of Feral Strength and it shows 3 for Unarmed.  With this character, if I equip Brass Knuckles, it jumps to 6 damage (3 for Brawn, 2 for Feral Strength and 1 for the Knuckles).  I then made a copy of the original character and also added Brass Knuckles and it jumps from 4 to 7.  

I note that for "Unarmed" it doesn't let me select "Equip" or "Carry."  I can only select "Show."  Is that part of the issue?

Would a printout or an export of the character help?  If so, what is the best way to get those to you.

Thanks for your help.

I found an error on the crafting for crafting the double bladed lightsaber hilt. When you take the option to raise the unwieldy by 1 should only raise the unwieldy to four but the generator will raise it by 2 instead. It is only soppose to raise it by two if the hilt doesn't have unwieldy already.