Jump to content
OggDude

Another Character Generator

Recommended Posts

23 minutes ago, Tweedledope said:

Doesn't mean they can't take the careers. I believe during an O66 Podcast one of the developers even alluded to this. Same with the Force Talents. They can purchase them but can't use them.

Why would you want to?  Specializations I can understand - many offer a lot of non-Force talents which can be taken with a minimum of wasted Force talents (i.e. you can often work around the Force talents and not take them if you wish),  but why take a Force and Destiny career if you will never be able to use the Force?  What benefit does it provide, or what character quirk does it reflect?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, SJanson said:

Why would you want to?  Specializations I can understand - many offer a lot of non-Force talents which can be taken with a minimum of wasted Force talents (i.e. you can often work around the Force talents and not take them if you wish),  but why take a Force and Destiny career if you will never be able to use the Force?  What benefit does it provide, or what character quirk does it reflect?

Preference. Joining a F&D game may require you to begin in these careers. I suppose I could start in a non F&D career and then buy a specialization in F&D, but that becomes pricey.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Tweedledope said:

Preference. Joining a F&D game may require you to begin in these careers. I suppose I could start in a non F&D career and then buy a specialization in F&D, but that becomes pricey.

Gotcha.  I was thinking that "why would you want to do that?" might be the thinking behind being unable to take the career, but I would imagine that Nytwyng's comment is the primary reason - taking an F&D career grants you FR1, which droids can't have.  While yes, Force talents can be taken even if they are unusable, it's likely a judgement call on OggDude's part with thinking along the lines of Nytwyng's statement that lead to things being done this way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, SJanson said:

Why would you want to?  Specializations I can understand - many offer a lot of non-Force talents which can be taken with a minimum of wasted Force talents (i.e. you can often work around the Force talents and not take them if you wish),  but why take a Force and Destiny career if you will never be able to use the Force?  What benefit does it provide, or what character quirk does it reflect?

Lots of reasons come to mind, but for me its all about finding the skills/talents that best fit my character concept.  If you want to play a droid detective type, what options do you have?  Sure, there are a couple that will get you close (skiptracer) but none feel quite so detective-y as Investigator.  Sure, this is going to hurt if the campaign is going to be a long one but I wouldn't let that keep me from picking the specialization that matched my concept.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, SladeWeston said:

Lots of reasons come to mind, but for me its all about finding the skills/talents that best fit my character concept.  If you want to play a droid detective type, what options do you have?  Sure, there are a couple that will get you close (skiptracer) but none feel quite so detective-y as Investigator.  Sure, this is going to hurt if the campaign is going to be a long one but I wouldn't let that keep me from picking the specialization that matched my concept.

Exactly this reason. The concept I have is a former U2-C1 Housekeeping Droid who was tinkered on by an aspiring youngling that installed a heuristic processor. He took it upon himself to memorize tons of Jedi Lore which would represent itself as the Teacher specialization. Similar to Huyang.

Edited by Tweedledope
Changed Artisan to Teacher

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Tweedledope said:

Exactly this reason. The concept I have is a former U2-C1 Housekeeping Droid who was tinkered on by an aspiring youngling that installed a heuristic processor. He took it upon himself to memorize tons of Jedi Lore which would represent itself as the Teacher specialization. Similar to Huyang.

Fair enough answer.

Personally, I'd cross-spec it: choose a non-F&D career to indicate the droid's original design intent, then cross-spec to Investigator to reflect the reprogramming.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Tweedledope said:

Exactly this reason. The concept I have is a former U2-C1 Housekeeping Droid who was tinkered on by an aspiring youngling that installed a heuristic processor. He took it upon himself to memorize tons of Jedi Lore which would represent itself as the Teacher specialization. Similar to Huyang.

Fair enough answer.

Personally, I'd cross-spec it: choose a non-F&D career to indicate the droid's original design intent, then cross-spec to Investigator to reflect the reprogramming.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Nytwyng said:

Fair enough answer.

Personally, I'd cross-spec it: choose a non-F&D career to indicate the droid's original design intent, then cross-spec to Investigator to reflect the reprogramming.

Your logic here makes sense, @Nytwyng. But as I understand the game, you take your present career initially, if through story line you find out that the character was, say a pilot, in the past you then cross specialize in that.  I'm AFB but I believe that was how it was put in the books.

I was not listening to the Order 66 podcast didn't know about it until just recently so as I am binge listening I just recently heard the one that @Tweedledope talked it about and it was posited that the droid is a teacher/instructor with all the knowledge to teach the younglings but none of the force powers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Mychal'el said:

I tried downloading this and all I got was some random motorcycle stuff. Where can I get the real file?

You must be getting redirected somehow.  Maybe a virus.  Clicking that exact link on your post downloaded the generator for me. 

https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/profile/212555-oggdude/?tab=field_core_pfield_28

go there and pick which version you want.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Lancer999 said:

Hey theres no way to download this onto a tablet right?  I know about the PDF reader and thats cool, but the actual program isnt compatible yet w/ a tablet correct??

It is not compatible with Android, if that is what you mean,  It works fine on a Windows tablet though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, SilindeT said:

It is not compatible with Android, if that is what you mean,  It works fine on a Windows tablet though.

I think mine is an android...galaxy samsung??  I dunno, barely use the thing

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, SilindeT said:

It is not compatible with Android, if that is what you mean,  It works fine on a Windows tablet though.

What app can I get that will allow me to run this on Android?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Mychal'el said:

What app can I get that will allow me to run this on Android?

Nothing. As OggDude has previously mentioned, there's enough proprietary stuff in the Microsoft .NET framework that it isn't a trivial task to port it to Mono (the open source version of .NET). As a result, it doesn't even run on Macs or Linux, let alone on something like Android.

Best thing I can think of would be to run a Remote Desktop session from a computer somewhere and connect to it from the tablet. But that's still clunky as hell.

Have you tried printing the sheet to PDF, then opening the PDF on the tablet? Not exactly interactive, but it's something...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Tweedledope said:

Is there a way to remove the "Please see Pg. xx of CRB..." and replace it with the actual description of the talent? Am I missing something?

It's called the Data Editor. It's accessible from the launcher.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Tweedledope said:

Can you elaborate? Will I have to enter the details myself?

Well, if you have a PDF of the book in question, you can copy/paste from there into the Data Editor, as long as that page of that PDF allows it. Otherwise, yes, you will have to enter the data manually.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Tweedledope said:

Is there a way to remove the "Please see Pg. xx of CRB..." and replace it with the actual description of the talent? Am I missing something?

Oggdude's tools can't have that information as part of the tool and still be okay with FFG's copyright so you have to add in the info using the Data Editor. There are Data Sets out there where people have spent the time to do this but I'm not sure it's okay to link to them here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9 June 2017 at 9:50 PM, Nytwyng said:

Fair enough answer.

Personally, I'd cross-spec it: choose a non-F&D career to indicate the droid's original design intent, then cross-spec to Investigator to reflect the reprogramming.

As per RAW, if you start with a F&D career you get a force rating of one.  If you start with a different career and buy  a F&D specialisation you don't gain any force rating.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...