OggDude

Another Character Generator

4 hours ago, Bobby hostile said:

Dunno if this bug for 1.8 has been discussed, but there seems to be an issue with the Talent: Deadly Accuracy.  It's an unhandled exception error.  You cannot choose the combat skill to link Deadly Accuracy to, and in the data editor you cannot modify Deadly Accuracy.  If I changed it from Combat to General skills under the "Choose Skill" pane, update, and save.  If you go back in, it's reset to Combat.  I can get you the details from the error log if you'd like.

This was found in Virtual Box (latest build) and in a Boot Camp partition running Windows 8.1 on two different MacBook pros.

I wanna say that this was one of the first bugs reported with 1.8 and Ogg posted that he was able to fix it almost immediately so it should be fine in 1.8.1 or whatever the next build will be called.

Edited by SladeWeston

It is, indeed, fixed, and I was also able to change the talent to General and even Knowledge and it kept the changes, so the problem with the talent editor is also fixed.

Sorry I was running out when I was typing my message and didn't mean to post it as I did.

Hey, it is strange I can download and run this on my old POS work PC but not my gaming PC at home. My home PC runs with Windows 10 and I was using the 1.8 beta (I couldn't use the DL link on this site for some reason.)

The funny thing is the Launcher will come up but none of the buttons work and I have ran it in admin mode, but still nothing.

1 hour ago, Aegeta said:

Sorry I was running out when I was typing my message and didn't mean to post it as I did.

Hey, it is strange I can download and run this on my old POS work PC but not my gaming PC at home. My home PC runs with Windows 10 and I was using the 1.8 beta (I couldn't use the DL link on this site for some reason.)

The funny thing is the Launcher will come up but none of the buttons work and I have ran it in admin mode, but still nothing.

Until the official release of 1.8, you'll need to run the launcher .exe in Windows 7 Compatibility Mode.

5 hours ago, Ferretfur said:

Is Version 1.8 available now then?

I think the link is still 1.7 ...or at  least it was a couple of days ago?

There is and has been, for about 6 months now, a beta version of 1.8.  It is great but has some small bugs and compatibility issues with Win10.  With not none beta release so close I wouldn't worry about it and just wait the week or so until Oggy gets the official release up.

Just noticed a small bug using V1.7 (Win10 in comp mode) when I print out encounters from the GM tools that includes adversary description it doesn't always print the last letter of the description

Weirdly on some encounters it prints the whole description for some and misses the last letter on others within the same encounter

Sorry if this has already been reported, but it's a huge topic and I just started using the generator and following the topic. I noticed an issue while printing droid characters in 1.7: the five or so droid features are printed out as five instances of the same feature (usually the first one). So I get five "Droid: Droids do not need to eat, sleep, etc..." instead of the all five features. I was able to go around it by renaming the features in the editor, so that each feature had a different name in the options list. I encountered a similar issue when creating a subspecies for the droid, but I couldn't go around it this time: one of the features would always print out repeated.

Oh, and I have to congratulate you on this amazing program! It makes playing this game so much easier.

Thanks a lot!

Hi,

New to signing onto the site, but not new to the fantastic application you've put together and continue to update/improve.

Question: Did I misread, or will this newest version be able to run on a Mac OS (no Parallels or Bootcamp involved)?

Cheers...

Edited by Jo'Dal Win

2 hours ago, Jo'Dal Win said:

Hi,

New to signing onto the site, but not new to the fantastic application you've put together and continue to update/improve.

Question: Did I misread, or will this newest version be able to run on a Mac OS (no Parallels or Bootcamp involved)?

Cheers...

It should work under Mono. I'm going to be testing it extensively on Sunday... of course, because I make things needlessly complicated, I want to share the Data folders with a Windows 10 PC using Dropbox.

Fun fun fun :blink:

Unless OggDude has done something drastic, I don't think this will run natively on a Mac.  It runs stable in VirtualBox though, and I share my data folder to the VM so I can work on characters on my PC or Mac.   If it's released on Sunday, you can bet your patootie I'll be updating and putting it through it's paces.

Please, everyone put it through its paces :)  There's been a lot of changes, and although everything now seems to be stable (just fixed an issue with motivations), I do occasionally do something I don't normally do and see a problem.  I'm going to continue playing with it tonight and tomorrow evening if I can (my wife, my in-laws and I are going to see my nephew's band play in Half Moon Bay, so not a lot of time for testing tomorrow), and fixing anything I see.  Hopefully, I won't find anything beyond something cosmetic so I can still release on Sunday.

12 hours ago, OggDude said:

Please, everyone put it through its paces :)  There's been a lot of changes, and although everything now seems to be stable (just fixed an issue with motivations), I do occasionally do something I don't normally do and see a problem.  I'm going to continue playing with it tonight and tomorrow evening if I can (my wife, my in-laws and I are going to see my nephew's band play in Half Moon Bay, so not a lot of time for testing tomorrow), and fixing anything I see.  Hopefully, I won't find anything beyond something cosmetic so I can still release on Sunday.

Great news, where will it be hosted, for download?

Thanks much to Oggdude and the community supporting this great tool.

I recently updated to the Beta 1.8 and found I could no longer see my previously created characters or creations in the GM tools. I also began getting the following exception when I attempt to save a new character:

See the end of this message for details on invoking
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.ArgumentException: The path is not of a legal form.
   at System.IO.Path.LegacyNormalizePath(String path, Boolean fullCheck, Int32 maxPathLength, Boolean expandShortPaths)
   at System.IO.Path.NormalizePath(String path, Boolean fullCheck, Int32 maxPathLength, Boolean expandShortPaths)
   at System.IO.Path.GetFullPathInternal(String path)
   at System.IO.Path.GetFullPath(String path)
   at System.IO.FileSystemWatcher.StartRaisingEvents()
   at System.IO.FileSystemWatcher.set_EnableRaisingEvents(Boolean value)
   at SWCharGen.CacheList`2.Add(T item)
   at SWCharGen.frmSWCharGenMain.btnSave_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)
   at SWCharGen.ImageButton.OnClick(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
   at SWCharGen.ImageButton.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

I've tried reverting back to the previous version from both my back up and the recycle bin.  I've also tried downloading another copy of 1.7 all now getting the same results.

I'm running Windows 10 (10.0.14393) patched to the latest update with McAfee AV.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks all.

Edited by katsujinken30
sys info

At last.  I'm sure it's not perfect, but here's 2.0.  Please let me know anything you find that doesn't work so I can release bug fixes.

Release 2.0

This release can be installed using the following links:

Manual Install               Web Install

Note:  If you previously used the web install to install the software, you will automatically be prompted to update to the new version the next time you launch the software from your desktop.  There is no need to re-install.

Release Notes

New/Changed Data:

• Added all new information from "Savage Spirits", including specializations, species, talents, motivations, backgrounds, moralities, signature abilities, the Foresee Force power, plus all equipment, attachments, vehicles, and riding beasts.
  • Added all new information from "Forged in Battle", including specializations, species, talents, motivations, backgrounds, duties, signature abilities, plus all equipment, attachments, vehicles, and trophies.
  • Added all crafting data from "Special Modifications", "Keeping the Peace", and "Forged in Battle".
  • Added the Enhanced Hyperspace Shields attachment from Special Modifications.
  • AD-1S starfighter had its name mispelled in a number of places.  This has been fixed.
  • Fixed misspelling in the Optimized Energy Cell attachment.
  • The Wilderness Survival Kit had an incorrect source for the Age of Rebellion CRB.  This source has been removed.
  • Fixed spelling and key of the "Command" specific motivation for "Drive".
  • Modified the Shaped Nozzle attachment to only work on the ion thruster gun.
  • The Blaster Energy Dampener was subtracting 2 from the damage of the weapon.  It will now correctly subtract 1.
  • The Sleight of Mind talent was incorrectly set to an Incidental.  It is now properly set to Passive.
  • Cratala's Vision Cycling Implant had a misspelling.  This has been corrected.
  • Speaks Binary (Supreme) talent was incorrectly classified as Passive.  It is now a Maneuver.
  • Careful Planning talent was incorrectly classified as an Incidental.  It is now an Action.
  • Coordinated Assault talent was incorrectly classified as non-ranked.  It is now ranked.
  • Updated Heavy Proton Torpedo Launcher from "Strongholds of Resistance" with better guesstimates on price, silhouette limits, and rarity, extrapolated from other vehicle weapon info.
  • Language files will now be automatically updated with any new phrases that are added to the code.  These phrases will be in English across all translation files.  I don't want to hold up releases waiting for translations to be made, so all new translations passed the initial implementation of the translation feature will need to be performed by the user.  Users are urged to share these translation files with others who would like the new phrases to be in their native language, and I would love to have any completed translation files so I can include them in future releases!

New Features/Enhancements:

• The character generator now has an "Companions" button.  This allows you to save companions with your character.  Companions use the same editor as Adversaries in GM Tools and now have their own pane in the generator.  Companions can be added, edited, or imported from standard Adversary files.
  • Added a new crafting system.  Items can be crafted in the character sheet from the equipment pane.  Droids can be crafted from the new Companion NPC pane.  Fortifications can be crafted from the vehicle pane.  All crafting buttons use golden text.  All crafting from "Special Modifications",  "Keeping the Peace", and "Forged in Battle" is supported, including all templates, effects, and personality traits for droids.  Also included is a crafting summary report that you can print out to keep track of your crafting sessions.
  • Crafting will also keep track of schematics.  Schematics are stored with a character and are automatically used by the crafting system when it displays the required check.  Whenever the "Schematics" effect is selected for an item, the schematic level for the template is automatically increased by 1 when you finish your crafting session.  You can also directly edit and add template schematics for the character from Step 1 of the crafting dialog.

Note:  The Lightsaber Hilt Construction Modifications attachment will remain for backward compatibility with the lightsaber construction rules on page 23 of the Force and Destiny Gamemaster's Kit adventure module.  A future release will support standard lightsaber crafting through the new crafting system as outlined in the "Endless Vigil" source book.  This release does not support standard crafting of lightsabers.

• Removed all item templates and template attachments, since they are no longer needed.  If you created an item using these items, they will be removed from your character.  Please recreate the items using the new crafting system.
  • Added an editor for Droid Traits in the Data Editor.  Droid traits are used by Droid Directive effects in the crafting dialog.
  • Certain gear items will allow you to create companions.  These are normally items such as droids or riding beasts.  A new "Create Companion" button can be found in the equipment pane.  By clicking on that button, the selected droid or riding beast will be added to the character's companion list.  Of course, the new companion can be customized.
  • Standard riding beast abilities for adversaries (Domesticable, Trained Mount, Beast of Burden, Stubborn, and Domesticated) have now been added as talents.  Any beast given these as special abilities will be automatically upgraded to the talents.  If you've added your own riding beasts, be sure to check the ranks of these talents, however.  It will pick up ranks specified in the name (ie, "Trained Mount 2" ability will be converted to Trained Mount 2 talent), but if you just put the name, the talent will have only a single rank.
  • Updated adversaries so that they support silhouette and a flag stating whether or not they can be used as a mount or riding beast. Silhouette will be automatically upgraded if it exists as a special ability.  The mount flag will be set if any special mount abilities or talents exist.
  • Updated all riding beasts in the "Stay on Target" import to support the new riding beast features.  If you've already imported them, you may want to remove them from your adversaries collection and add them again.
  • The Adversaries list in GM Tools, and the new Companions list in the generator, now support a "Create Mount" button.  If the currently selected adversary/NPC is a mount, clicking this button will convert the item into a vehicle that will appear either in the stock vehicle list, or the character's personal vehicle list.  The vehicle version of the mount can be used during combat when used as a mount, and to keep track of encumbrance for carried items (just add items to the riding beast "vehicle").
  • Mount vehicles support their own "attachments", such as riding tack, saddle bags, and the new cargo handling system from "Savage Spirits".  Some of these attachments may also show up as gear.
  • All fonts have been updated to make the applications look closer to the fonts used in the books.
  • All apps have been upgraded to use .NET Framework 4.5.  This is the latest version of .NET that is supported by Mono for the Mac.
  • The caching database has been updated to SQL Server CE 4.0.
  • A lot of window features, such as grid text, combo boxes, etc. have become more standardized, especially with fonts and text sizes.  This should provide a more uniform UI.
  • Changed the way HTML is processed.  The apps now use a managed solution instead of the built-in WebBrowser control.  This means that it should work with Mono on the Mac or other cross-platform implementations of .NET.  Also improved the display of dice and symbol images, and HTML descriptions use the same new fonts as the dialogs.
  • All apps now use GDI+ exclusively, also to help with Mono support.
  • Made the UI of the character generator much more responsive.  Updating the UI during a character load has been reduced by about 60-65%.  There should be noticably shorter delays between selecting various UI elements, such as careers, talents, Force abilities, etc.
  • Added a "stat block" feature to inventory.  This works very similarly to the stat block features for adversaries and vehicles.  It is accessible through the inventory pane.
  • The optional mods list in the Item Attachment selection dialog can now support special symbols and HTML text.  You are no longer required to use plain text for optional miscellaneous descriptions.
  • Names of items in grids on printed sheets would scale to fit the width of the grid column.  Names will now automatically wrap to the next line so that they remain readable.
  • To support the stun-only blaster rule, a new attachment has been created called Stun-Only Blaster Modification.  Just purchase the weapon at half price and add this 0 HP attachment.  It will convert your weapon into a stun-only blaster.  This can only be applied to blaster pistols and blaster carbines.
  • Characters with the Gearhead talent should see a 50% reduction in the cost for adding mods to items or vehicles.
  • The cache will now automatically be cleared between versions.  This should help eliminate issues where the cached object is in an older format.
  • When creating skill mods in the mod editor, you may now select rank count and career skill at the same time.  This would increase the skill rank, as well as make the skill a career skill.  As an optional mod, the career designator will show up for each rank, but will only be applied to a character once.
  • New inverse (white, or white-bordered) symbols have been included to support dark backgrounds.  These symbols can be accessed in text by adding an "I" at the end of a symbol tag.  For instance, [ADI] or [ADVANTAGEI] will use the inverse version of the advantage symbol.  This should only be used if you explicitly change the background of something using HTML.  If the text will be displayed in a grid, the apps will automatically choose the right version of the symbol based on the pre-set background.
  • Vehicles now have a new "vehicle type".  This can be a standard vehicle, a riding mount, or a structure.  Depending on the type, the stat block display will be modified to conform better to the role of the "vehicle".  Riding mounts and structures will use melee and ranged defense instead of normal vehicle defense.  Mounts will display "Wounds" instead of "Hull Trauma" and "Strain" instead of "System Strain", and "Soak" instead of "Armor".  Structures will display "Trauma" and "Strain".
  • A warning message is now displayed if you select options from more than one mechanic between obligation, duty, and morality (as-written, options may only be obtained from one of those mechanics).  As always, the generator will still allow you to choose from more than one mechanic.
  • Descriptive text has been added to obligation and duty options, telling the user how much of the mechanic is needed, or not needed, to enable options.  This seems to be a major hurdle for a lot of people, so I'm being more explicit now.  Hopefully, this will make things clearer.
  • In the equipment pane under the weapons grid, "Type" has been replaced by "Skill".  You can still filter by type, and you may now sort by skill.
  • In the vehicle pane, when selecting a weapon to add or upgrade, weapon information is now displayed in the dialog.
  • Added a splash screen for the data editor.
  • The data editor will now default to not displaying the help text on the right, which can be a distraction.  Click the "Help>>" button to show or hide this panel.
  • The help text in the data editor has been updated to reflect new changes.

Bug Fixes:

• The 1.8 beta release caused an exception when the Deadly Accuracy talent was selected.  This has been fixed.
  • When determining defense ratings for a character, some sources of weapon defense would be applied twice, or possibly three times, depending.  This will no longer happen.
  • Fixed, and simplified, logic in the routine that totals the counts of item descriptors for weapons.
  • In the Edit Reports dialog, some invalid properties were listed in the property list of step 2.  Now, only proper base properties of the item will be listed.
  • In the Edit Reports dialog, the Prev button would sometimes be enabled even if you couldn't leave the step (if something in the step wasn't valid, for instance).  Now, the Prev button should be enabled or disabled properly.
  • In the Edit Reports dialog, checks to enable or disable controls for step 3 were actually checking for step 4, and vice versa.  It now check the proper controls in the proper step.
  • will be disabled in this situation.
  • There was an error in the efficiency routines for custom data that would cause saved XML files to be truncated.  This will no longer occur.
  • Signature Vehicle mods to custom or new talents weren't being saved properly.  They will now be saved.
  • Fixed a bunch of incorrect sources in master data.  These sources would show up in the Options source list.  They were a remanent of the automation process that added page numbers to sources.
  • The warning dialog about deselecting a duplicate unranked talent was showing up all the time if you had both Seer and Force-Sensitive Exile.  This was due to the Forager talent being in the top row of both trees.  The check for this condition will now only look at duplicate talents that are actually selected, so the dialog will now only show up when it's supposed to.
  • When inserting existing special armor or weapons into adversaries, nothing would be displayed in the insert dialog, since the description field for those items is blank.  An armor or weapon summary will now be displayed.
  • In the talent editor, if you copied a talent, it would replace the original talent.  This will no longer happen.
  • When adding die modifiers from descriptors, a 0 count miscellaneous descriptor would not display the proper modifiers.  0 count descriptors should have been treated as having a count of 1 in this case.  This has been fixed.
  • "Select Specialization" from the specialization pane would sometimes intersect the specialization combo box.  This was because I hadn't removed the Autosize feature.  It should now stay where it should and just resize itself if the translation gets too long.
  • Removed all autosizing from labels, check boxes, and radio buttons throughout all applications.  Autosizing caused display issues when a language translation was larger than the original text.  All of these controls will now have their text resized by changing the font size if a translation is too large for the control.
  • The specific motivation HTML display was having its bottom border cut off.  This has been fixed.
  • The portrait selection dialog wasn't formatted correctly.  This has been fixed.
  • In GM Tools, there was an issue adding characters to a group's membership.  This has been fixed.
  • In GM Tools, if a new group was created, but cancelled, an exception would occur.  This has been fixed.
  • When printing a group, character summaries would revert to the default names.  This has been fixed.
  • The Spread Barrel attachment would add to an existing Blast quality.  However, it's description says that it "grants" Blast 4.  To fix this, added a new property to item descriptors called "QualSet" which is similar to the "QualReplace" property.  If "QualSet" is true, then the quality will be added if it does not exist, and will replace existing qualities, but only if the count is less than the new count ("QualReplace" will replace no matter what).  Spread Barrel now as "QualSet" at true to use this new feature.
  • For quality descriptors with the "QualReplace" or "QualSet" properties set to true, the description now better matches what will happen.  That is, instead of "4 Quality (Blast 1) Mods", it will display "1 Replace Quality (Blast 4) Mod" or "1 Grant Quality (Blast 4) Mod".
  • There was an issue with selecting sources in the Options dialog where removed sources would sometimes not be removed the next time the dialog was opened.  This will no longer happen.

Edited by OggDude