OggDude

Another Character Generator

1 hour ago, TheMongoose said:

Oh, don't get me wrong, I totally understand that. I've currently got my first gen character sheet with my freshly printed one, as it has all my notes on. Your idea is very good. I just didn't want OggDude to start adding new features and delay the release even further 

I just type my handwritten notes into the CharGen after my session, so when I print a new character sheet for the next session all my notes are intact.  Just do it in the Background -> Notes section, or create a dummy Obligation, Duty, or Motivation and put your notes there.

12 hours ago, OggDude said:

When 1.8 does come out, anyone out there with a Mac, please let me know how it looks, whether or not everything works, and any limitations you see.

Heya dude.  I have a Mac, plus I run your CharGen in either Bootcamp Win8 or a VM running 10 (virtualbox).  If you want it run in any enviorment, LMK? I work in a digital forensic lab so I have access to any build of windows environment on a Mac.

Edited by Bobby hostile

I've encountered something curious.

For some reason, no matter what edits I make after creating the Martial Artist spec, the Iron Body boxes continue to read, "Enter the description for talent Iron Body here." I've re-edited and saved Iron Body, I've deleted Iron Body and recreated it (using a different item key), I've deleted Martial Artist and recreated, and yes, I've cleared the cache. :P But, no matter what I do, the tree still shows, "Enter description here" for Iron Body (and Iron Body alone). I've verified the description is correct in the .xml file, as well.

Any thoughts, anyone?

43 minutes ago, Nytwyng said:

I've encountered something curious.

For some reason, no matter what edits I make after creating the Martial Artist spec, the Iron Body boxes continue to read, "Enter the description for talent Iron Body here." I've re-edited and saved Iron Body, I've deleted Iron Body and recreated it (using a different item key), I've deleted Martial Artist and recreated, and yes, I've cleared the cache. :P But, no matter what I do, the tree still shows, "Enter description here" for Iron Body (and Iron Body alone). I've verified the description is correct in the .xml file, as well.

Any thoughts, anyone?

Which CharGen version are you using and what operating system version?

Post the XML snippet here for just that talent.  Use the code tags.

Do you have multiple copies of the CharGen, like for different versions, that could be conflicting?

3 hours ago, Volt80 said:

Which CharGen version are you using and what operating system version?

Post the XML snippet here for just that talent.  Use the code tags.

Do you have multiple copies of the CharGen, like for different versions, that could be conflicting?

Two different Win10 computers, one with 1.7.1 and one with 1.8 Beta. The issue occurs on either, whether using a shared data source or local data sources, and it's the only talent affected. In troubleshooting, I've even swapped out talents in those boxes, and it still holds on to Iron Hand for those boxes. No conflicts previously (and, yes, 1.8 is most definitely beta, but it occurs on the other machine, too).

Another wrinkle...at one point, seeing if a different entry would work, I renamed the original Iron Body entry to "Iron Body (not working)" with an item key of NDIRONBODY, and then created a wholly separate item of Iron Body (item key NDIRONBOD), and switched out the spec tree to point to the new item...no change. Meanwhile, if I work on an adversary in the GM Tools, in the available talents, there's two listings for "Iron Body," neither of which includes "(not working)," one of which displays the "enter description" message, and the other displays the proper description.

Totally weird.

xml snippet:

<Talent>

<Key>NDIRONBODY</Key>
    <Name>Iron Body</Name>
    <Description>Remove [SE] per rank of Iron Body from Coordination and Resilience checks. Reduce the critical rating of unarmed attacks by 1 per rank of Iron Body (to a minimum of 1).</Description>
    <Source Page="34">No Disintegrations</Source>
    <Custom>AddedItem</Custom>
    <Ranked>true</Ranked>
    <ActivationValue>taPassive</ActivationValue>
    <ChooseCareerSkills>
      <ChooseByType>true</ChooseByType>
      <TypeValue>stGeneral</TypeValue>
      <Type>General</Type>
    </ChooseCareerSkills>
    <DieModifiers>
      <DieModifier>
        <SkillKey>COORD</SkillKey>
        <SetbackCount>1</SetbackCount>
      </DieModifier>
      <DieModifier>
        <SkillKey>RESIL</SkillKey>
      </DieModifier>
    </DieModifiers>
    <Activation>Passive</Activation>
  </Talent>

Edited by Nytwyng

57 minutes ago, Nytwyng said:

Two different Win10 computers, one with 1.7.1 and one with 1.8 Beta. The issue occurs on either, whether using a shared data source or local data sources, and it's the only talent affected. In troubleshooting, I've even swapped out talents in those boxes, and it still holds on to Iron Hand for those boxes. No conflicts previously (and, yes, 1.8 is most definitely beta, but it occurs on the other machine, too).

Another wrinkle...at one point, seeing if a different entry would work, I renamed the original Iron Body entry to "Iron Body (not working)" with an item key of NDIRONBODY, and then created a wholly separate item of Iron Body (item key NDIRONBOD), and switched out the spec tree to point to the new item...no change. Meanwhile, if I work on an adversary in the GM Tools, in the available talents, there's two listings for "Iron Body," neither of which includes "(not working)," one of which displays the "enter description" message, and the other displays the proper description.

Totally weird.

xml snippet:

Reveal hidden contents

<Talent>

<Key>NDIRONBODY</Key>
    <Name>Iron Body</Name>
    <Description>Remove [SE] per rank of Iron Body from Coordination and Resilience checks. Reduce the critical rating of unarmed attacks by 1 per rank of Iron Body (to a minimum of 1).</Description>
    <Source Page="34">No Disintegrations</Source>
    <Custom>AddedItem</Custom>
    <Ranked>true</Ranked>
    <ActivationValue>taPassive</ActivationValue>
    <ChooseCareerSkills>
      <ChooseByType>true</ChooseByType>
      <TypeValue>stGeneral</TypeValue>
      <Type>General</Type>
    </ChooseCareerSkills>
    <DieModifiers>
      <DieModifier>
        <SkillKey>COORD</SkillKey>
      </DieModifier>
      <DieModifier>
        <SkillKey>RESIL</SkillKey>
      </DieModifier>
    </DieModifiers>
    <Activation>Passive</Activation>
  </Talent>

You're making changes to a data file, and yet you don't see any difference in the application?  This might be an issue with how Windows handles compatibility files and the virtual store.  When you're looking at the folder that has those xml files in it, is there something in that window that says "Compatibility Files" or similar?  That might take you to a hidden location on your computer; in earlier Win versions it was a path like C:\Users\User_name\AppData\Local\VirtualStore

OggDude, a feature request: we can sort the equipment lists by name in the character generator, but when it prints, it still comes out in the order the gear was added to the character. That can make it a bit hard to find stuff in play, when the character has a long gear list. Would it be possible to have the print function print gear in the order it's displayed (so sorted by name or whatever other category)?

(I never did find you at DunDraCon!)

45 minutes ago, coyote6 said:

OggDude, a feature request: we can sort the equipment lists by name in the character generator, but when it prints, it still comes out in the order the gear was added to the character. That can make it a bit hard to find stuff in play, when the character has a long gear list. Would it be possible to have the print function print gear in the order it's displayed (so sorted by name or whatever other category)?

(I never did find you at DunDraCon!)

I was there all four days.  I ran three different SW games in the main open gaming area (near the dealer room).

You can actually do a sort of your weapons, armor, and gear by just doing a drag and drop of the item to another item.  So, you're not stuck keeping your inventory in the order you bought it.

About the talent issue... first, are you using the data editor, or are you trying to edit the files from the install?  Always use the data editor.

Second, check to make sure that the talent doesn't show up in multiple places.  For instance, you could have it in the main custom data folder, and you could also have it in a data set folder, or even several different data set folders.  If you're trying to change the description in the main custom data folder, but it exists with the default description in a data set folder, the data set folder takes precedence, since data sets are loaded after the main custom data folder, and will replace any existing item (assuming it's DescOnly or CustomData).

You can see this if you go to the main "DataCustom" directory, then do a Windows search on your talent key.

27 minutes ago, OggDude said:

I was there all four days.  I ran three different SW games in the main open gaming area (near the dealer room).

You can actually do a sort of your weapons, armor, and gear by just doing a drag and drop of the item to another item.  So, you're not stuck keeping your inventory in the order you bought it.

Ah-ha! That worked. Thanks - kind of laborious for long lists, but if I keep 'em organized, it should be fine. 

If you go to KublaCon, I'll have to PM you to find out when you're running a game.

4 minutes ago, coyote6 said:

Ah-ha! That worked. Thanks - kind of laborious for long lists, but if I keep 'em organized, it should be fine. 

If you go to KublaCon, I'll have to PM you to find out when you're running a game.

I'm working on a game right now to do an actual run at KublaCon.  I figure I spend way more than 8 hours running unofficial games at these conventions, so I might as well run an "official" game and save $60 on a weekend pass :)

1 hour ago, OggDude said:

I'm working on a game right now to do an actual run at KublaCon.  I figure I spend way more than 8 hours running unofficial games at these conventions, so I might as well run an "official" game and save $60 on a weekend pass :)

That's exactly why my wife & I volunteer to work for a vendor at a series of local cons. Save ourselves the admission price. :)

And data set! That's exactly what it was. The Description in the No Disintegrations data set was still at the default. Thanks!

1 hour ago, Keeves93 said:

How do you enable the automatic web updates for the Character Creator? I read the FAQ page in the files, but I still don't understand it.

Install from the automatic update installer version.

On 3/6/2017 at 11:36 AM, Splurch said:

Just a suggestion I came across searching for weapons yesterday. There seems to be no way to filter by skill for weapons. Having a filter to do this would make it much easier to look through what you can use when you don't have a good idea of what you want.

In 1.8, weapons now have a skill column.  You can just do a sort on it to group by skills.

I've been testing 1.8 on a Win10 machine for the past few days.  It looks like all Win10 issues have been resolved.  The machine is also set to 125% dpi, so I'm also making sure everything looks good with a non-standard dpi setting.

So far, I've found little things that I've been fixing.  I've also improved performance of various parts of the generator.  For instance, changing career or specialization will cause an immediate update, rather than have a 1.5 second pause.  Loading a character is also faster.

I'm still doing this, so when I stop finding things for a day or two, I'll do the release.

6 hours ago, OggDude said:

In 1.8, weapons now have a skill column.  You can just do a sort on it to group by skills.

Awesome, can't wait to easily browse all of the shiny bits for Gunnery.

10 hours ago, OggDude said:

I'm still doing this, so when I stop finding things for a day or two, I'll do the release.

Ogg,

I have a game this Sunday.

So, if at all possible, please release 1.8 on Saturday or sooner. :D

All hail the great and powerful OGG!

Edited by Dakkar98

20 minutes ago, Aegeta said:

Hey, it is strange I can download and run this on my old POS work PC but not my gaming PC at home.

Well if you want us to tell you how to fix it you kind of need to give us way more than that. Like what OS are you running it under at home?

4 minutes ago, Daeglan said:

Well if you want us to tell you how to fix it you kind of need to give us way more than that. Like what OS are you running it under at home?

...and which version of the program?

Dunno if this bug for 1.8 has been discussed, but there seems to be an issue with the Talent: Deadly Accuracy.  It's an unhandled exception error.  You cannot choose the combat skill to link Deadly Accuracy to, and in the data editor you cannot modify Deadly Accuracy.  If I changed it from Combat to General skills under the "Choose Skill" pane, update, and save.  If you go back in, it's reset to Combat.  I can get you the details from the error log if you'd like.

This was found in Virtual Box (latest build) and in a Boot Camp partition running Windows 8.1 on two different MacBook pros.

2 hours ago, Bobby hostile said:

Dunno if this bug for 1.8 has been discussed, but there seems to be an issue with the Talent: Deadly Accuracy.  It's an unhandled exception error.  You cannot choose the combat skill to link Deadly Accuracy to, and in the data editor you cannot modify Deadly Accuracy.  If I changed it from Combat to General skills under the "Choose Skill" pane, update, and save.  If you go back in, it's reset to Combat.  I can get you the details from the error log if you'd like.

This was found in Virtual Box (latest build) and in a Boot Camp partition running Windows 8.1 on two different MacBook pros.

Yeah, I can reproduce this in Win7 with the 1.8BETA build.  Exception text below.  The same exception happens with the Knowledge Specialization talent for Diplomat->Analyst.  You can bypass this error by commenting out the <SkillCount> element under the <SkillChoice> element for these talents in the Talents.xml file.  Of course, you won't be prompted to choose any skill, but at least it won't crash.

************** Exception Text **************
System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
   at SWCharGen.frmChooseSkill.get_SkillList()
   at SWCharGen.frmChooseSkill.FillGrid(Boolean doCareer)
   at SWCharGen.frmChooseSkill.ChooseSkills(CharTalent ctal, CharData myData, Character myChar, IWin32Window parent, Boolean forceCareer, Boolean forceSkill, Int32 ranks)
   at SWCharGen.frmSWCharGenMain.mySpec_ChooseSkill(Object sender, ChooseCharEventArgs e)
   at SWCharGen.SpecTree.Char_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   at SWCharGen.SpecTree.SelectNode(SpecTreeNode node, Boolean selected, Boolean force)
   at SWCharGen.SpecTree.Check_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
    Assembly Version: 4.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 4.6.1087.0 built by: NETFXREL4STAGE
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v4.0.30319/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------
SWCharGen
    Assembly Version: 1.8.0.0
    Win32 Version: 1.8.0.0