OggDude

Another Character Generator

No, seriously.

If you're wanting Oggy to enter the data, it stands to reason that you're fine with the details not being in the boxes for now.

Create the data. It's simple. And you can remove your custom data once he adds it to a future release.

It's certainly more efficient than asking him to include partial data from a particular source.

7 hours ago, Donovan Morningfire said:

Well, the empty version of a Jedi utility belt would really just be a regular utility belt.  For the full versions, listing out all the individual components probably treads onto the same legal ice as including the descriptions of what various talents do.

Just because it adds the other items does not seem like that to me. 

I'm inclined to agree with Donovan.  If all you want is an illegal empty utility belt, why not just use the standard utility belt and tell everyone that it has sweet jedi logos all over it.  Or you could go into the data editor and using the Jedi utility belt as a template, adjust the entry to say it is partially filled and save it as a new item.  I do this all the time to represent gear that is just a little different from standard.  Once you done it a couple of times it becomes really quick and easy.

No need to make major UI changes just to accommodate 2 or 3 items.

It's really simple. Enter the new talents under the Talents button, create the new tree under Specializations (simple drop-downs for assigning talents to boxes, and clicking on the connectors to create those), then associate the new Specializations to the appropriate Career.

4 hours ago, SladeWeston said:

I'm inclined to agree with Donovan.  If all you want is an illegal empty utility belt, why not just use the standard utility belt and tell everyone that it has sweet jedi logos all over it.  Or you could go into the data editor and using the Jedi utility belt as a template, adjust the entry to say it is partially filled and save it as a new item.  I do this all the time to represent gear that is just a little different from standard.  Once you done it a couple of times it becomes really quick and easy.

No need to make major UI changes just to accommodate 2 or 3 items.

That is not what I want at all. What we currently have is an empty one effectively that is very expensive. What I want is to add another item that when you purchase it for it to add all the items that come with it. 

Can i get a reply to my post in page 297... the one with the screenshot?

As it turns out, the data editor has the correct information bit its not linking to the character builder.

11 hours ago, myskul said:

Sorry, I should have been more clear on the issue... not the text (totally understand copyright issue) but the layout of the tree and the cost of the abilities.

For example: the book says 15 for the basic heal/harm, the application says 10. Also, the book has more abilities listed then the application.

I have attached a Screenshot

Heal Harm Tree.docx

Could your application potentially be using the F&D Beta instead of the Core?  In the beta it cost 10, but then was increased to 15 for live.

3 minutes ago, NSIBystander said:

Could your application potentially be using the F&D Beta instead of the Core?  In the beta it cost 10, but then was increased to 15 for live.

How do I check or change if it is using the Beta information but not the corebook info?

24 minutes ago, ShadoWarrior said:

Click the Options button at the top of the app. Uncheck the F&D Beta. Click OK. Look at the Force power again. It should show as cost 15. It does for me.

Thanks that worked great... I can remove the beta info now.. Do you know what the source is called that is used for the F&D playtest?

I unchecked the Beta book, but I noticed that under the specializations there are 2 entries for specializations from the Force and Destiny core rulebook.

I've been asked by my gaming group to reskin the game to a different setting and for ease of use they would like me to try and get this character generator "compatible" so that everyone can keep working with stat sheets and details that they are familiar with. Before I get too deep though I wouldn't want to risk losing the data already programmed in from other campaigns. If I create a new data set I see it doesn't allow me to just start clicking "remove" on any of the options and losing them but I would guess I can modify the names and so on which since it's a reskin and modification that would be most of what I do anyway. If I were to start doing this would it start to affect the main Star Wars stuff? I can't find anything in any of the options for the character generator itself a way to change the data set and if I install it into another directory it still is able to pick up the data from the original Chargen file.

It might just be easier to install it on to my older laptop and run through that but wanted to check if I could all do it from one place before starting to get too deep. I wouldn't want to experiment on my main file and have a lot of confusion when the print offs for the next session SW refer to the "sense" power as "flaming dragon breath" ;) 

1 hour ago, lanky316 said:

I've been asked by my gaming group to reskin the game to a different setting and for ease of use they would like me to try and get this character generator "compatible" so that everyone can keep working with stat sheets and details that they are familiar with. Before I get too deep though I wouldn't want to risk losing the data already programmed in from other campaigns. If I create a new data set I see it doesn't allow me to just start clicking "remove" on any of the options and losing them but I would guess I can modify the names and so on which since it's a reskin and modification that would be most of what I do anyway. If I were to start doing this would it start to affect the main Star Wars stuff? I can't find anything in any of the options for the character generator itself a way to change the data set and if I install it into another directory it still is able to pick up the data from the original Chargen file.

It might just be easier to install it on to my older laptop and run through that but wanted to check if I could all do it from one place before starting to get too deep. I wouldn't want to experiment on my main file and have a lot of confusion when the print offs for the next session SW refer to the "sense" power as "flaming dragon breath" ;) 

Short version:

Create your reskin data with a unique source name such as My Reskinned Game, as if that were the title of the sourcebook.

Once it's entered, open the character generator, click the Options button, and uncheck all sources except My Reskinned Game.

Edited by Nytwyng

So my GM, decided to give us an opportunity to gain a rank with a cheaper cost in first career rank at the cost of 3XP instead of 5XP in a one time specific instance.

Using the generator, I have to purchase a skill at the default set rank cost. Is there a way to change that in the data editor that I can choose to add rank without an XP cost?

I'd rather not just allot an extra +2 in XP. I'd like to keep it consistent. 

BTW Oggdude, the game changer. I've been playing for 4 years and just found your character editor for this new campaign. My group and myself...Thank you! This prevents any mistakes and we had to correct a couple minor things that we'd interpreted wrong. This program fixes it. :)

Is it just me, or is there a problem with the "Signature Vehicle" talent (from the Rigger). If I select "Signature Vehicle", I get the attached error message.

I've tried it both with having a ship added under "Vehicles" from the character, as well as putting the character into a group and adding a vehicle to the group. 

Any ideas? 

SigVeh.PNG

6 hours ago, Daronil said:

Is it just me, or is there a problem with the "Signature Vehicle" talent (from the Rigger). If I select "Signature Vehicle", I get the attached error message.

I've tried it both with having a ship added under "Vehicles" from the character, as well as putting the character into a group and adding a vehicle to the group. 

Any ideas? 

It works for me in 1.8.  Is it possible that you are selecting a vehicle that violates the silhouette requirements for the talent?

10 hours ago, Daronil said:

Any ideas? 

It works fine for me. Are you sure the ship your adding to the character meets the silhouette requirements?

Having discovered that, does anyone know of a way of modifying Signature Vehicle to allow for a Sil 4 vehicle? I suspect it's actually buried in the code, as I've gone over the talent in Data Editor view and can't find a way of doing it, but if anyone has already done something similar, it would be great. (I'll check the XML for Signature Vehicle as soon as I get home, too - there may be a way of doing it there).