OggDude

Another Character Generator

Just a heads up: 1.8 doesn't seem to work right with Windows 10.

The only way I was able to get the character generator to launch was swapping it to the compatibility mode for Windows 7.

Everything else worked, just not the main character generator.

On 2/18/2017 at 8:48 PM, BananaCorp said:

I'm not sure this is the right place but when using the 1.8 version I can open everything but the character creator. Is this a common thing or have I completely messed up?

same issue for me

On 2/18/2017 at 11:18 PM, Velocikitty said:

Just a heads up: 1.8 doesn't seem to work right with Windows 10.

The only way I was able to get the character generator to launch was swapping it to the compatibility mode for Windows 7.

Everything else worked, just not the main character generator.

ok i thought it was just me messing something up 

5 hours ago, SilindeT said:

Please people if you are not willing to read the forums do not use 1.8.  There are lots of issues with it.  It is BETA after all.

lol ummm thanks... I think??? :) 

3 hours ago, ShadoWarrior said:

The generator lists a Heavy Proton Launcher as rarity 6. What is the source book for this item? And how in the heck does a capital ship weapon have a lower rarity than its smaller cousin (which is rarity 7)?

If it is in the generator it tells you which Book(s) and page(s) in the description of the item.

9 hours ago, fist said:

lol ummm thanks... I think??? :) 

Most of the issues with 1.8 have been found and reported and if possible work arounds implemented and written about.  1.8 is Beta really it should be considered Alpha because the whole program is really beta.  I really have no issue helping anyone with the program.  Read through this thread and you will see.  But a bunch of posts saying "1.8 doesn't work for me..." is not what we need to see in here.  Oggdude was nice enough to pre-release it asking for feedback from us. And asking us to tell him about the bugs before actual release.  Legends probably shouldn't have linked it on his sight without all the rest of the info before the link.  Search is your friend.

Edited by SilindeT

On 18 February 2017 at 10:10 PM, lupex said:

In dangerous covenants there is some guidance for retrofitting civilian vehicles with a paramilitary template.  Is this option in the generator anywhere at the moment or would I need to create some attachments to replicate this?

Anyone?

6 hours ago, SilindeT said:

If it is in the generator it tells you which Book(s) and page(s) in the description of the item.

It doesn't. It's a vehicular weapon, which only shows in the upgrade window, which has no info on sources. Look for yourself.

7 hours ago, SilindeT said:

Most of the issues with 1.8 have been found and reported and if possible work arounds implemented and written about.  1.8 is Beta really it should be considered Alpha because the whole program is really beta.  I really have no issue helping anyone with the program.  Read through this thread and you will see.  But a bunch of posts saying "1.8 doesn't work for me..." is not what we need to see in here.  Oggdude was nice enough to pre-release it asking for feedback from us. And asking us to tell him about the bugs before actual release.  Legends probably shouldn't have linked it on his sight without all the rest of the info before the link.  Search is your friend.

Indeed.

I've put together a page with bug reporting, project tracking, download links, etc. But, before I publicize it, I'm waiting to hear back from OggDude as to whether or not he wants to use it.

1 hour ago, ShadoWarrior said:

It doesn't. It's a vehicular weapon, which only shows in the upgrade window, which has no info on sources. Look for yourself.

(Un) fortunately I'm traveling right now and don't have full access to everything so I can't look it up.  Nor can I access that books to reference that. 

1 minute ago, SilindeT said:

(Un) fortunately I'm traveling right now and don't have full access to everything so I can't look it up.  Nor can I access that books to reference that. 

I've had a couple of my players inquire (repeatedly) about heavy protons for a few weeks and I've been going nuts trying to find an FFG source for the info that's in the generator. It's looking to me like he's tossed in some unofficial source stuff, because Oggdude also has Sluissi as a species in the generator, and they're not in any official FFG source that I know of, either. (I'm glad that Sluissi are in the generator, as they're a great species to use as techs and engineers, and I've been fond of them in older SWRPGs.) Even if the heavy proton launcher comes from some unofficial source I'd like to know what that source is.

The more I look closely, the more unofficial stuff I keep finding in the generator. Which I find odd, given how religiously Oggdude sticks to RAW on other aspects of the generator.

3 minutes ago, ShadoWarrior said:

I've had a couple of my players inquire (repeatedly) about heavy protons for a few weeks and I've been going nuts trying to find an FFG source for the info that's in the generator. It's looking to me like he's tossed in some unofficial source stuff, because Oggdude also has Sluissi as a species in the generator, and they're not in any official FFG source that I know of, either. (I'm glad that Sluissi are in the generator, as they're a great species to use as techs and engineers, and I've been fond of them in older SWRPGs.) Even if the heavy proton launcher comes from some unofficial source I'd like to know what that source is.

The more I look closely, the more unofficial stuff I keep finding in the generator. Which I find odd, given how religiously Oggdude sticks to RAW on other aspects of the generator.

Yes he does have some unofficial things. For instance he has put in the unofficial species menagerie other than that I can't be sure

3 minutes ago, ShadoWarrior said:

Yes he does have some unofficial things. For instance he has put in the unofficial species menagerie other than that I can't be sure

6 minutes ago, ShadoWarrior said:

He's got the Betas and the Unofficial Species Menagerie in the available sources. I've found some entries sourced to the Betas that didn't make it through to production. I wonder if this is one of them?

To test, from the Character Generator, click Options at the top. In the listing of sources, uncheck Age of Rebellion Beta, Edge of the Empire Beta, and Force and Destiny Beta, then see if the heavy protons are still available.

Heavy proton torpedo launchers can be found on page 119 of "Strongholds of Resistance".  They are part of the weapons layout of the MC30C frigate.  When it comes to new vehicle weapons, rarely, if ever, are they found in nice neat charts like other weapons.  I generally find them while inputting the vehicle and having them not show up in my own list :)

And as was mentioned, the only "unofficial" source I included was the "Unofficial Species Menagerie", and I did that because I thought all of the extra species were very cool.  If you don't want them to show up, click on "Options" and un-check them from the Sources list.  As far as I know, that's the only non-FFG source that I've added.  The only other thing I can think of is that I did create a vehicle attachment that modified handling and speed, I think, in order to get some ships looking like they did in a few adventures.  I believe I got rid of it, but I'll check again.

Oh, and the upgrade weapons dialog will now show the description of the selected weapon :)

1 minute ago, OggDude said:

Heavy proton torpedo launchers can be found on page 119 of "Strongholds of Resistance".  They are part of the weapons layout of the MC30C frigate.

Oh, and the upgrade weapons dialog will now show the description of the selected weapon :)

Thank you. I have a suggestion regarding this particular weapon. Since a regular proton launcher is rarity 7 isn't it silly that the heavy, capital ship version is only rarity 6? You should change the rarity to at least 8. There should also be a restriction requiring a silhouette of 6+ to mount it (just as for medium/heavy turbolasers), if that restriction isn't already in place.