OggDude

Another Character Generator

On 1/22/2017 at 3:37 PM, Daeglan said:

Nope you just do sub species...

I tried creating sub species, but you can only grant ranks in specific named skills. Or allow the character to select a number of extra career or non-career skills. There is not a way to allow them to select only combat, knowledge or general skills.

1 hour ago, daine_deneith said:

I tried creating sub species, but you can only grant ranks in specific named skills. Or allow the character to select a number of extra career or non-career skills. There is not a way to allow them to select only combat, knowledge or general skills.

I'm fairly new here, but I've been poking around this thread and playing with the Data Editor, and I think I've managed to replicate what another person here did for the Mando Human. It's a little tedious at first, but pretty easy once you get going. I'll try and walk through the steps I took:

1. Create the Mandalorian Human species and enter basic info (stats, reference, etc.). 2. Click "New" next to Sub-species. We'll name this one "Combat Focused." 3. Next to "Option Choices," click "New" and in the new window under "Choice Name" call it Combat Skill. 4. Click "New" next to options. Call it "Brawl," and check the box next to Brawl in the "Skills" list.  5. Click "Add" to add the skill to the options list and return to the Option Choice window. 6. Click "New" again, and repeat steps 4 and 5 until all Combat Skills are added to the list. It should look like this:

Mando6.PNG.bd9f2774feda5a441c34f6295e555916.PNG

7. Click "Add" to return to the Sub-Species page (the image says "Update" as I have opened it through the "Modify" button), then click "Add" at the bottom of the Sub-Species page.  8. Click "Add" to create a new sub-species, and call it "Knowledge Focused."  9. Repeat steps 3 through 6 TWICE, calling the first option "Knowledge Skill I" and the second "Knowledge Skill II," and using knowledge skills instead of combat skills. 

10. Once all knowledge skills have been added to both option lists, click "Add" at the bottom of the Sub-Species page to add the sub-species. 11. Click "Add" at the bottom of the Species page to finish adding the species to the list. Click "Save." 12. Just to be sure, I closed the Data Editor at this point. Open the Character Generator, and go to the Species tab. Select the Manadlorian Human. 13. There will be a drop-down menu below "Select Sub-Species," where you can select the combat- or knowledge-focused sub. Selecting either one will show another set of drop-downs for the sub-species options.

14. For Combat Mandos, just select the skill from the drop-down menu and you're good to go. For Knowledge Mandos, the menu will look like this:

Mando10.thumb.png.821aa361e5663ff8abd69613aecb62c8.png

Simply select a skill from the first drop-down menu and then click on where it says "Knowledge Skill II" to bring up the drop-down for the second option. Select a skill from this menu, and you're good to go.

NOTE: There is nothing preventing you from selecting the same skill in both Knowledge options, so you must be sure to select a different one in each.

If you go to the "Skills" tab and scroll through the skills list, there should be a "1" in the "Species" column for the skills you chose. Hopefully this helps. I have more pictures of the process in case you, or anyone else, need any clarification.

2 hours ago, daine_deneith said:

Actually this is possible.

5 hours ago, LegendsoftheGalaxy said:

So since FFG boards no longer have a footer for oggdude to put the download link I was thinking maybe of building a simple website page people can go to to download the generator.  Thought oggdude would you like that?  

I'd be glad to have a dedicated page for it on mySWRPG.com.

I'm seeing something odd with a new armor attachment. "Add 5 to the wearer's Brawn score for the purpose of determining Encumbrance threshold" 

Functionally I imagine we could just use the add encumbrance threshold for the mod, but I'm wondering, rule-wise, why they'd use this wording over increasing threshold? Does straight brawn factor into lifting big stuff, or is this supposed to work on Cumbersome as well? That's tied into Brawn rather than threshold, so I'm guessing that makes sense.

1 hour ago, FelixTG said:

I'm seeing something odd with a new armor attachment. "Add 5 to the wearer's Brawn score for the purpose of determining Encumbrance threshold" 

Functionally I imagine we could just use the add encumbrance threshold for the mod, but I'm wondering, rule-wise, why they'd use this wording over increasing threshold? Does straight brawn factor into lifting big stuff, or is this supposed to work on Cumbersome as well? That's tied into Brawn rather than threshold, so I'm guessing that makes sense.

because Brawn effects encumbrance differently. 

17 hours ago, Nytwyng said:

I'd be glad to have a dedicated page for it on mySWRPG.com.

OggDude I already created a download page for you on the Legends of the Galaxy Website.  If you prefer me to build you an entire website that is not linked to the Legends of the Galaxy website I am happy to do so.  I would just need to discuss what details you want in the said page.

Check Out - http://www.OggDude.com

Edited by LegendsoftheGalaxy
Updated Domain Name link

14 minutes ago, ShadoWarrior said:

That page you posted for us to check out makes it appear that LegendsoftheGalaxy is OggDude. It makes no mention that LegendsoftheGalaxy is not OggDude, there is no disclaimer, and the text posted on the page is lifted directly from OggDude's work without any attribution.

Good Point I am only trying to help him.  I will add a disclaimer.  I am also willing to give OggDude full control of the domain at no cost.  This is just my way of showing appreciation for everything that OggDude has done for the community.

hey guys :)  since this post got kinda lost in the shuffle while waiting for a mod i am going to go ahead and repost it up here.

i am perfectly willing to do some data entry, but i need to make sure i am actually using the data editing tools properly. :unsure:

i am currently working on a Mass Effect conversion for my players.  i have been adding new force powers (biotics) under a new data set, but when i try to switch to my custom data set in the character editor i come up with all default data.  not even my 'lived in' default data with descriptions, just the baseline.  then (after going back into the editor and my Mass Effect data set) i was trying to see about adding a piece of gear (omnitool) that could carry powers.  even within this custom data set the new (and saved) force powers were not showing up.  i also cant figure out how to transfer powers between data sets properly (would like to add descriptions back in instead of using default now that i am putting character trees together).

can you guys give me some advice about proper data entry and data set management?  i would be extremely grateful. :D

3 hours ago, LegendsoftheGalaxy said:

Good Point I am only trying to help him.  I will add a disclaimer.  I am also willing to give OggDude full control of the domain at no cost.  This is just my way of showing appreciation for everything that OggDude has done for the community.

Perhaps you should wait til OggDude gives you approval before you go sharing his work elsewhere. I know if it was my work I wouldn't like the idea of someone sharing my files in that way without even asking.

45 minutes ago, McHydesinyourpants said:

Perhaps you should wait til OggDude gives you approval before you go sharing his work elsewhere. I know if it was my work I wouldn't like the idea of someone sharing my files in that way without even asking.

Good Point.  The page I created is just links to his links.  I am offering to build him an entire website which he can manage.  Waiting for his approval on that stuff 

Okay So a couple of questions all rolled into one, group still loves and cheered when they heard you showed back up Oggy! so down to the dirty questions

First off When you rolled out beta I did what you said I backed up the data I had from `1.7.0.1 That works still on the lap top I have set up for it.
I managed to get 1.8 beta working fine however am left drooling for the lightsaber crafting add on for your crafter.
To help with custom data imput (till you get 1.8 out standard) you mentioned on your release post you could revert your current platform back to the old system.
I down loaded the 1.8 cleared the cash from the 1.8, then used the 1.7 launcher, however, my data sets are still missing (even though the cache is cleared. I can import characters but all our custom work is pretty well Missing from my terminal (it's in teh folders just not showing in the program)

Do I need to export these on the working machine (laptop) and then reimport them on the desktop?  With No disintigrations I have 3 different rpg groups chomping at the bit.. well mandalorian armour

Any help to get 1.7 back up on my desk top would be appreciated

On 2/5/2017 at 5:46 PM, shadowzeak said:

I'm fairly new here, but I've been poking around this thread and playing with the Data Editor, and I think I've managed to replicate what another person here did for the Mando Human. It's a little tedious at first, but pretty easy once you get going.

[Removed extra info]

Hopefully this helps.

It certainly did. Thanks.

Is it possible to assign a specific Force Power tree to a Specialization? If so how do I do that in the builder? I couldn't find anything in the UI or XML that would let me do so.

EX: I want to make the Protect/Unleash available to the Warrior -> Aggressor Specialization. 

Edited by surrealtx

13 hours ago, surrealtx said:

Is it possible to assign a specific Force Power tree to a Specialization? If so how do I do that in the builder? I couldn't find anything in the UI or XML that would let me do so.

EX: I want to make the Protect/Unleash available to the Warrior -> Aggressor Specialization. 

All force power trees are available to all force users. If it's not showing up in the Character Generator it's because the character does not have a high enough force rating to use the tree.

16 hours ago, surrealtx said:

Protect unleash require force rating 3. So until you have that it is not available.

6 minutes ago, Genuine said:

Is there a reason that 1.8 is beta? Or maybe it would be better to ask if there is a reason to use 1.7 over 1.8?

It's beta because OggDude added some new features, but had not worked out all of the kinks. But, he also knew he was going to be away for an extended period and unable to work on it. So, he made the beta available so anyone interested could use it and report back with issues they might find.

Now that he's back, he's working to finish 1.8 for "official" release.

11 minutes ago, Genuine said:

Is there a reason that 1.8 is beta? Or maybe it would be better to ask if there is a reason to use 1.7 over 1.8?

Ya, it has some major bugs.  Some of the talents cause crashes, it has some font issues and it has some Windows 10 compatibility issues.  Most of the crash bugs Oggdude was able to fix immediately but I think the Win10 stuff took him a while.  From the sounds of it, I think all of that has been worked out and now he's focused on getting the new content in.  Regardless, 1.8 is completely usable unless you have a class with Deadly Accuracy (I think that was the bug).  Even Win10 users usually have success with compatibility mode.

Ninja'ed

Edited by SladeWeston
Ninja'd

I wonder when the next version of the generator will release.

Are we hours, days, weeks, or months away from an update?

Also I know I put the manual download link on my website.  Does anyone know what the Web Install URL was?  Now that OggDude's signature no longer displays I was not sure what that URL was.  I wanted to add it for easy access to my OggDude Page