OggDude

Another Character Generator

Fixed the YT-1210.  I had put the 1 def in Port instead of Fore which, of course, doesn't show up :)

I'm slowly adding everything from Forged in Battle.  I still have work to do with crafting, but I haven't even got to Endless Vigil yet.  I wish I had more time to work on this, but I am doing what I can.

And Donovan is right about the pistol hilt.  It just adds the mentioned weapon profile to the lightsaber which, in the generator, will show up as an ad hoc weapon in the weapon list when the lightsaber is equipped.  At least it will when I add it :)

1 hour ago, OggDude said:

I wish I had more time to work on this, but I am doing what I can.

No worries man, we understand that this is a labor of love done in a busy man's free time.  That being said, is there anything we can do to help you out?  Would you benefit from datafiles with the new content added (at least the easy ones) or text versions of any of the content?  I think I speak for many of the people here when I say that we'd be happy to pitch in.

4 hours ago, OggDude said:

Fixed the YT-1210.  I had put the 1 def in Port instead of Fore which, of course, doesn't show up :)

I'm slowly adding everything from Forged in Battle.  I still have work to do with crafting, but I haven't even got to Endless Vigil yet.  I wish I had more time to work on this, but I am doing what I can.

And Donovan is right about the pistol hilt.  It just adds the mentioned weapon profile to the lightsaber which, in the generator, will show up as an ad hoc weapon in the weapon list when the lightsaber is equipped.  At least it will when I add it :)

For the double bladed lightsaber will the pistol hilt show up twice? you are paying twice as much to put it on the double bladed lightsaber, i.e. you technically get 2 of them one on each end

On 2/2/2017 at 9:28 AM, Tom Cruise said:

Yeah, that's the attachment being discussed, but nothing in the show indicates the crystal has any interaction with the blaster pistol; it seems to be its own thing. Especially considering it fires stun blasts, I imagine blaster shots funnelled through a lightsaber crystal would be similar in lethality to the lightsaber blade itself.

The description of the "pistol hilt" attachment says its an optional secondary emitter, which based on the established lore of lightsaber parts means it's going through the same crystal, hence my question.  And I was quite suprised that the damage wasn't the same lethality as the lightsaber blade, but I'm thinking the devs did this for game MECHANICAL reasons.

i am perfectly willing to do some data entry, but i need to make sure i am actually using the data editing tools properly.

i am currently working on a Mass Effect conversion for my players.  i have been adding new force powers (biotics) under a new data set, but when i try to switch to my custom data set in the character editor i come up with all default data.  not even my 'lived in' default data with descriptions, just the baseline.  then (after going back into the editor and my Mass Effect data set) i was trying to see about adding a piece of gear (omnitool) that could carry powers.  even within this custom data set the new (and saved) force powers were not showing up.  i also cant figure out how to transfer powers between data sets properly (would like to add descriptions back in instead of using default now that i am putting character trees together).

can you guys give me some advice about proper data entry and data set management?  i would be extremely grateful.

1 hour ago, EliasWindrider said:

The description of the "pistol hilt" attachment says its an optional secondary emitter, which based on the established lore of lightsaber parts means it's going through the same crystal, hence my question.  And I was quite suprised that the damage wasn't the same lethality as the lightsaber blade, but I'm thinking the devs did this for game MECHANICAL reasons.

There's also the aspect that they didn't really have the kid killing people, IE his stun slingshot. They did have to shut down the lightsaber to fire the blaster portion, which does lend itself to saying that the unfocused energy coming out of the crystal is what is emitted from the blaster portion. It makes sense that raw plasma would be able to do damage, but it could also make sense that its not coherent and thus acts as a shock instead of a burn. 

On another note, the mini missiles in No Disintegrations look lovely. One bit that will possibly be confusing is that they introduced another gravity mine with different mechanics than the current gravity mine.

How do you add a new category to put some of these new weapons under?

25 minutes ago, FelixTG said:

There's also the aspect that they didn't really have the kid killing people, IE his stun slingshot. They did have to shut down the lightsaber to fire the blaster portion, which does lend itself to saying that the unfocused energy coming out of the crystal is what is emitted from the blaster portion. It makes sense that raw plasma would be able to do damage, but it could also make sense that its not coherent and thus acts as a shock instead of a burn. 

On another note, the mini missiles in No Disintegrations look lovely. One bit that will possibly be confusing is that they introduced another gravity mine with different mechanics than the current gravity mine.

How do you add a new category to put some of these new weapons under?

I don't watch rebels.  I watched the clone wars on star wars.com and later on net flix (timing didn't work ok to watch it live), and I haven't been able to find rebels online or on netflix.  The point is I don't know much about the show.

Also, i'm ok with it being stun, I wish it wasn't but I don't expect to get everything I'd like and can deal with disapointment, but I was kind of surprised that the damage wasn't the same as the lightsaber (just being changed to stun) since its being focused through the same crystal and a secondary emitter that doesn't shape/constrain/restrict it as well.   But like I said, no biggy I can deal, it just surprised me.

49 minutes ago, EliasWindrider said:

I don't watch rebels.  I watched the clone wars on star wars.com and later on net flix (timing didn't work ok to watch it live), and I haven't been able to find rebels online or on netflix.  The point is I don't know much about the show.

Also, i'm ok with it being stun, I wish it wasn't but I don't expect to get everything I'd like and can deal with disapointment, but I was kind of surprised that the damage wasn't the same as the lightsaber (just being changed to stun) since its being focused through the same crystal and a secondary emitter that doesn't shape/constrain/restrict it as well.   But like I said, no biggy I can deal, it just surprised me.

If you have disney xd on your cable the disney xd app will let you watch..

To use the 1.8beta install am I able to change the data path to my previous install or will this mess things up? Nevermind: It seems to have kept my original data path.

I have managed to open both the Data Editor and GM Tools but for some unknown reason the actual Character Generator is refusing to launch , any ideas?

Edited by lupex

I'm looking at adding the Mini-Rockets from No Disintegrations, it seems to me that they'd be ordnance, they also have 1 HP that you can attach things to per rocket. Wondering if it would be better to just make them a normal weapon so attachments can be added to them as usual? The Ordnance type when choosing Vehicle as the weapon type lets you hit the checkbox for ordnance, but that's vehicle only.

Planning on just making each rocket you buy an individual weapon, but thought I'd see what people's thoughts are.

16 minutes ago, lupex said:

To use the 1.8beta install am I able to change the data path to my previous install or will this mess things up? Nevermind: It seems to have kept my original data path.

I have managed to open both the Data Editor and GM Tools but for some unknown reason the actual Character Generator is refusing to launch , any ideas?

Try hitting the More Options checkbox on the launcher then clicking Clear Cache.

1 hour ago, FelixTG said:

I'm looking at adding the Mini-Rockets from No Disintegrations, it seems to me that they'd be ordnance, they also have 1 HP that you can attach things to per rocket.

I haven't tried to add them yet but my plan was to model them off Mini-Torpedos.  They seem to have very similar mechanics and stat blocks.

25 minutes ago, Spar said:

Is there a work around for saving a character? 

Everytime I've tried to save I get an Unhandled exception. 'The Path is not of a legal form'

Start with clearing the cache. And providing more info is needed for people to help.

Really not much to it. I hit the save button and this pops up.

System.ArgumentException: The path is not of a legal form.
   at System.IO.Path.LegacyNormalizePath(String path, Boolean fullCheck, Int32 maxPathLength, Boolean expandShortPaths)
   at System.IO.Path.NormalizePath(String path, Boolean fullCheck, Int32 maxPathLength, Boolean expandShortPaths)
   at System.IO.Path.GetFullPathInternal(String path)
   at System.IO.Path.GetFullPath(String path)
   at System.IO.FileSystemWatcher.StartRaisingEvents()
   at System.IO.FileSystemWatcher.set_EnableRaisingEvents(Boolean value)
   at SWCharGen.CacheList`2.Add(T item)
   at SWCharGen.frmSWCharGenMain.btnSave_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)
   at SWCharGen.ImageButton.OnClick(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
   at SWCharGen.ImageButton.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

Edited by Spar

Hey Ogg,  I have now had a bit of a play with the 1.8 beta and i have a couple of suggestions:     

• Could you add a search functionality to the data editor as i am finding it increasingly difficult to find some aspects, especially if i cant remember the full name or source of something.
  • Could you make it so that i could choose companions from the adversary list in the GM Tools as its likely that i would have already stated out any NPC the characters pick up.
  • Could there be an option to give characters custom items, gear, armour etc as my players often pick up things from NPCs or i give them interesting items that won't crop up again, so not worth enshrining them in the data editor.  As a lot of NPCs have custom gear, it would be useful to be able to access the custom lists to then populate a characters inventory as needed.
  • The crafting section is really good but there isn't an option to edit this in the data editor. As its likely that there will be more things to craft in future books, and some GMs may want to give players options to craft other things or to add to or edit the current options, could this be editable once you get it all working as you need it to?

Apart from that, keep up the good work. :)

Edited by lupex

Hey, is something going to change with the print quality? Because somehow my prnter always makes a mess out of the characters I create. And no it's not a problem witz my printer, I tried printing other stuff and it works just fine. I guess it's because of the font problems you have with Win10.

26 minutes ago, TheMOELANDER said:

Hey, is something going to change with the print quality? Because somehow my prnter always makes a mess out of the characters I create. And no it's not a problem witz my printer, I tried printing other stuff and it works just fine. I guess it's because of the font problems you have with Win10.

Have you tried saving the character file as a PDF via the print dialogue? If it comes out clean, you can print it with a PDF viewer app.

3 minutes ago, Stan Fresh said:

Have you tried saving the character file as a PDF via the print dialogue? If it comes out clean, you can print it with a PDF viewer app.

Yes I did, didn't work either... The PDF has the same messed up font, you can't read it when you print it