OggDude

Another Character Generator

Has anyone had any luck disabling the Unofficial Species Menagerie?  I haven't been able to disable it in the last couple of additions.  It lets me uncheck the box but it doesn't remove any of the species from the list.

I am also having this issue. Not that it bugs me much. Also i updated to 4.5.2 .Net framework. The version 1.8.0.0 keeps crashing in the generator only.  It works for an hour or so. then gets an error box. Ill see if i can post the box next time it pops up.

(Edit) its not letting me link the image. but it only seems to happen when there is a "pick one" option like for tinkerer and smooth talker. Its an "unhandled exception" 

When you unclick it, have you tried exiting the character generator, clearing the cache and then looking to see if they have gone.

Oggy,

I am loving these tools!!!.

I agree that it would be nice to have a place for both Advantages and Threats for crafting as I plan to allow my players to purchase additional advantages they can spend by taking on threats that I can spend. That way if they need just that little bit more to get what they envision from their creation rather than have them fall short and want to scrap it and start over again. It could just be done with the Despairs, but it would be nice to let them buy an Advantage with a Threat and a Triumph with a Despair.

For the droid crafting is there a way to make it a double pane one for the chassis and one for the programming? I completely missed that I had to hit the arrow and drop down for the programming part the first time and thought it would take me to the programming once I had completed the chassis. I had to start over, then I saw the ability to toggle.

I also want to again request that the Main program and all pop up windows automatically go Full Screen instead of little boxes.

I found a bug in the droid programming. When you add adaptive programming effect, I added 5, and when I went in to choose the skills. It allowed me to pick 5 skills. It then added 5 ranks to all 5 skills. I would think that just having a list of the available skills with numerical indicator next to them would fix it. It also allowed the skills to go beyond the cap of 6.

Cratala's Vision Cycling Implant: "makes some tings virtually impossible to see"

Thanks Oggy!

Hey OggDude,

Just wanted to add that the character generator goes a bit bonkers when building a character and then buying another spec and then changing your career.

It wont let you remove the bought spec or the former spec if you switched completely to the new one.

(maybe consider "reseting everything below" when you go back up the generation ladder?)

I also happened upon when playing with the character generator that my characteristics "froze" and would not change (on the lower right side) not matter what i did but i couldn't find the reason for it.

Hey OggDude,

Just wanted to add that the character generator goes a bit bonkers when building a character and then buying another spec and then changing your career.

It wont let you remove the bought spec or the former spec if you switched completely to the new one.

(maybe consider "reseting everything below" when you go back up the generation ladder?)

I also happened upon when playing with the character generator that my characteristics "froze" and would not change (on the lower right side) not matter what i did but i couldn't find the reason for it.

You have to remove any additional Specializations that you have added to the character before changing your starting career.

If you remove dedication talents you sometimes have to save your character, then reload to get your characteristics to reflect the change.

Got the following error in the new version when I bought smooth talker. (Well, this error is from trying to load the spec after closing and reloading but its fundamentally the same).

System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

at SWCharGen.frmChooseSkill.get_SkillList()
   at SWCharGen.frmChooseSkill.FillGrid(Boolean doCareer)
   at SWCharGen.frmChooseSkill.ChooseSkills(CharTalent ctal, CharData myData, Character myChar, IWin32Window parent, Boolean forceCareer, Boolean forceSkill, Int32 ranks)
   at SWCharGen.frmSWCharGenMain.mySpec_ChooseSkill(Object sender, ChooseCharEventArgs e)
   at SWCharGen.SpecTree.Char_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   at SWCharGen.SpecTree.SelectNode(SpecTreeNode node, Boolean selected, Boolean force)
   at SWCharGen.SpecTree.AddTalentsFromChar(Specialization spec)
   at SWCharGen.SpecTree.GenerateTalentTree(Specialization spec)
   at SWCharGen.frmSWCharGenMain.cmbSpec_SelectedIndexChanged(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ComboBox.OnSelectedIndexChanged(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ComboBox.WmReflectCommand(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ComboBox.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)

This is a question for everyone else in the thread: how do you organize your custom datasets? Until recently I had just one (which I keep backed-up) with all the info I've entered from the books, but I just started a new one for a campaign which has a couple custom skills and the like.

I'm always seeking better ways to stay organized (in games and in life!) and it occurred to me that folks in this thread would probably have useful tips and tricks!

This is a question for everyone else in the thread: how do you organize your custom datasets? Until recently I had just one (which I keep backed-up) with all the info I've entered from the books, but I just started a new one for a campaign which has a couple custom skills and the like.

I'm always seeking better ways to stay organized (in games and in life!) and it occurred to me that folks in this thread would probably have useful tips and tricks!

Right now I just have one campaign going, so I just have one DS reflecting that. But it is fairly incomplete. One of my group members found someone also adding data, so I am copying that over from his DS to mine, and if that person wants the work I have done , he is welcome to it.

• Characters with the Gearhead talent should see a 50% reduction in the cost for adding mods to items or vehicles.

I'm now (as expected) seeing 50 Cr cost for items, but still 1000 Cr for vehicle mods.

Hey Oggdude, Thanks again for your wonderful creator, it's a real blessing!

I wanted to address/suggest a couple of things:

1 - Currently and in the past versions i tried, the windows format of the inner tables do no increase much relative to your native resolution as can be seen in the link i added below. I have a resolution of 2880x1800 and this leaves a lot of unused screen real estate. It also get much more annoying when trying to quickly browse over equipment and see the item skill or abilities . 

So if you can, please make them increase relative to your native resolution and not stop at a certain value. 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ne5u526ohcoyvtu/screen.jpg?dl=0

2 - As a continuation to the first idea, maybe even allow each user to resize their tables as he sees fit (if it's possible). I just recently found out i could drag down the skill description below and it freed so much space :)

3 - Consider Switching the "Filter by Type" to a different filter such as encumbrance, rarity, skill used or a certain ability or hardmode points. Filter by Type is already addressed in the previous Filter by Category so while only collating a number of groups together it doesn't add much i think?

4 - Addendum,  maybe consider making a toggle screen to allow each user to add or remove table columns he might need or not in the equipment section. Currently searching by rarity, encumbrance, skill used or a certain ability (e.g: auto-fire, disorient etc) is a real hassle as it doesn't always fit in the small window that is opened. Adding such Filters or better yet a table column (especially if you allow for a bigger resolution support) will make everyone's life much easier don't you think?

Well that's what i wanted to say, i hope it helps and a BIG BIG Thanks for all your work done.

p.s: this is the second time i am trying to write this message. The last time i tried adding a picture, failed, and it deleted the whole text... so if someone knows how do i post pictures and not just links i would greatly appreciate the help.

Edited by Metushelah

I just wanted to say thank you so much Ogg. A few years back I found your Program, at the time I was playing Sagas, and because of you I have fell in love with Edge of the Empire. I cant wait for any new updated you produce and I look forward to what the future holds.

P.S. it takes FOREVER to input all the data. (its worth the time)

Can you write the last version of the program on the first post?

It may help to see if we're up to date :)

Current release information is in OggDude's signature - version number, release date, and links to both the manual and web install downloads. Conveniently, he made the first post in the thread. ;)

(Note: his signature does not include the manual installer of 1.8 that he released before heading out for his trip. Version 1.8 is considered an incomplete beta, which he released to allow us to try the new features and report problems while he's gone.)

Found what I think is a bug with the Cracian Thumper. I checked with another guy in my group and he's having the same issue. When a thumper is selected in the inventory, the Add NPC button doesn't activate, while it does with all the other riding beasts.

On the Talents Summary Page it groups certain tiered talents like this:

Armor Master

Armor Master (Improved)

Armor Master (Supreme)

Body Guard

Body Guard (Improved)

Body Guard (Supreme)

Double or Nothing

Double or Nothing (Improved)

Double or Nothing (Supreme)

Hard Headed

Hard Headed (Improved)

It does not do it for:

Improved Speaks Binary

Speaks Binary

Supreme Speaks Binary

Quick Draw
Quickdraw (Improved) Needs the space put in between Quick and Draw.

I haven't noticed any others, but I'll let you know if I do.

Probably not in the first release, but if enough people want either one, I can add it to GM Grants or something like that.

That would be awesome.

This is not to say that you can't add threat/despair effects if you didn't roll them.  You still can, you'll just see negative numbers listed.  The pips displayed are for your convenience.  You can add any effect that you want, positive or negative.  The only limitation is that you can only add, say, gadget effects to gadgets, not to any other type of crafted item.

What exactly is it doing on Windows 10?  I have the current version installed on my Windows 10 tablet and it seems to work fine.

For me, the programs themselves (as opposed to the launcher) just weren't launching without the Win7 compatibility being checked.

In the meantime, have a great trip!

I was setting the executables to work for x86.  I switched them to "Any CPU" and I'm hoping that will fix any OS compatibility issues.  I haven't tested this with a build, however, and there might be a reason I used the setting that I did.  It's been awhile, so I have no idea why :)

I'm actually going to Germany for work during the first couple of weeks of September, so I won't have time to work on it then.  I'm trying to get as much done before then so I can hopefully get it out some time in October.  There's also Forged in Battle, which I haven't even bought yet, to support.

Hi Oggy,

If you are near Hamburg, let me know. This would be a great opportunity for me buy you some of those beers we all owe you!!

I was in Jever for a few days, but my schedule was packed.  They did ply me with a lot of Jever beer, though (well, a lot for me, anyway; I'm a lightweight when it comes to drinking).  If I ever get out there again, I'll take you up on your offer :)

Edited by OggDude

I'm actually going to Germany for work during the first couple of weeks of September, so I won't have time to work on it then.  I'm trying to get as much done before then so I can hopefully get it out some time in October.  There's also Forged in Battle, which I haven't even bought yet, to support.

Hi Oggy,

If you are near Hamburg, let me know. This would be a great opportunity for me buy you some of those beers we all owe you!!

I was in Jever for a few days, but my schedule was packed.  They did ply me with a lot of Jever beer, though (well, a lot for me, anyway; I'm a lightweight when it comes to drinking).  If I ever get out there again, I'll take you up on your offer :)

Cool! Would be assume to meet you :) ... and I can get you something better than Jever pils ;)

Specialization pane: "Select Specialization:" seems to intersect the drop down box where you select the chosen spec you want to look at, probably an effect of changing the font.

Motivation Pane: The Specific are where you see the fluff text's bottom box line is missing, I can only assume this means the border is offset.

Skill Pane: The grid isn't stretching to fit the whole window when the generators window is enlarged. The title bars also appear to look odd. "Non-Career" and "Rank Attach" are far seperated and looks wierd.

SKills and Equipment Pane: You can't alter the column width, and like the skill pane, grids and colums don't fill the window.

Most text is now off center due to the font change, you can see it on almost everything, buttons, characteristic ratings etc. Lower the text down a little bit on most buttons, the top XP bar and a few other items and they will be centered. Some are even not just raised but have shifted a little to the right, it may be worth checking every element to see that it is properly aligned. Part of the problem changing typeface and font. Great job though, the fonts are really authentic to the book.

Previously mentioned:

Gadgets don't impact skill pools.

Overall a really great update, no really dangerous bugs that have lead to exception errors or crashes, mostly visual bugs and a few mechanical bugs. Well done and thank you for your amazing work Ogg, enjoy your time away.

Edit: Found a potential bug, while trying to print a group sheet, got an exception error. Deleted the group, made a new one, when I tried to add characters they wouldn't appear in the "Current Members" area but they would disappear from "Avalible Characters", cancelling the creation of the group then leads to an exception error:

See the end of this message for details on invoking 
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
   at SWCharGen.frmSWGMToolMain.GroupButtonClick(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)
   at SWCharGen.ImageButton.OnClick(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
   at SWCharGen.ImageButton.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

Thanks for the report!  I went through everything and fixed a bunch of stuff.  Adding characters to groups will now work, and it won't give an error if you cancel a new group.  Formatting has been fixed as well.  The skill grid isn't supposed to grow and shrink, and the gadget issue was fixed before I went to Germany.

Okay...just tried to print another group and got this:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rvwwi2c66mterpy/Screenshot%202016-09-02%2002.08.44.png?dl=0

Seems all the characters are a human smuggler and labelled "Test".

It was retranslating text before creating the bitmaps.  I thought I had removed all those, but this one slipped by me.  It works now.

Oggdude,  Running the 1.8 Beta, on Windows 10 upgraded from windows 7, latest version of .Net

Started the App bugchecked clicked continue and it worked.  Clicked the Data Loc button, bug checked, clicked continue and it didn't do a thing

System.ArgumentNullException: Value cannot be null.

Parameter name: family

at System.Drawing.Font.Initialize(FontFamily family, Single emSize, FontStyle style, GraphicsUnit unit, Byte gdiCharSet, Boolean gdiVerticalFont)

at System.Drawing.Font..ctor(FontFamily family, Single emSize, FontStyle style)

at SWCharGen.EmbeddedFonts.GetFont(String name, Single Size, Boolean Bold, Boolean Italics)

at SWCharGen.EmbeddedFonts.ElektraMediumFont(Single Size, Boolean Bold, Boolean Italics)

at SWCharGen.TranslateClass.TranslateControl(Control ctl, String source)

at SWCharGenLauncher.frmSWLauncherMain.GetLanguage()

at SWCharGenLauncher.frmSWLauncherMain.OnLoad(EventArgs e)

at System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnCreateControl()

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateControl(Boolean fIgnoreVisible)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateControl()

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmShowWindow(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.WndProc(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.Form.WmShowWindow(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.Form.WndProc(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************

mscorlib

Assembly Version: 4.0.0.0

Win32 Version: 4.6.1080.0 built by: NETFXREL3STAGE

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v4.0.30319/mscorlib.dll

----------------------------------------

SWCharGenLauncher

Assembly Version: 1.8.0.0

Win32 Version: 1.8.0.0

CodeBase: file:///D:/Users/Silinde/Desktop/SWCharGen1.8BETA/SWCharGenLauncher.exe

System.Windows.Forms

Win32 Version: 4.6.1038.0 built by: NETFXREL2

CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll

System

Win32 Version: 4.6.1081.0 built by: NETFXREL3STAGE

CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll

System.Drawing

Win32 Version: 4.6.1078.0 built by: NETFXREL3STAGE

CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll

SWCharGenLib

CodeBase: file:///D:/Users/Silinde/Desktop/SWCharGen1.8BETA/SWCharGenLib.DLL

System.Configuration

CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Configuration/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Configuration.dll

System.Core

CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Core/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Core.dll

System.Xml

Win32 Version: 4.6.1064.2 built by: NETFXREL3STAGE

CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll

Microsoft.GeneratedCode

Assembly Version: 1.0.0.0

CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll

SWCharGenCtlLib

CodeBase: file:///D:/Users/Silinde/Desktop/SWCharGen1.8BETA/SWCharGenCtlLib.DLL

Microsoft.GeneratedCode

Assembly Version: 1.0.0.0

************** JIT Debugging **************

To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this

application or computer (machine.config) must have the

jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.

The application must also be compiled with debugging

enabled.

For example:

<configuration>

<system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />

</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception

will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer

rather than be handled by this dialog box.

Started the app with Admin Creds, no problems.  Clicked Data Editor waiting mouse pointer then nothing.  clicked Character Generator waiting cursor then nothing.

Tried running character gen directly, waiting cursor then nothing,

Tried running the character gen directly with admin creds, waiting cursor and nothing.

Tried using the previously mentioned click Manage/troublshoot compatibility same as above.

Manually set char gen to run with win7 compatibility and it ran fine.  Started it from the launcher (still set to win7 campat) ran no problem.

Set launcher to win7 compat runs no problem. click data editor, runs fine (data editor not set for campatibility)

Other bugs,

vehicle sheet (When printed) has no shield values, i think it is showing the variable name I can't read it so I can't be sure

DT5Vf9F.jpg

Vehicle attachment names when long try to wrap to a second row but just show dots.

sbqkCDk.jpg

Obligation/Duty lists don't fill the pane that they are in, leaving a small space.

I fixed defense, and the attachment option grid will now display the entire text (it resizes the row height automatically).  Not sure what you mean by the obligation issue, it looks OK to me.

I'm hoping the load issue with Windows 10 will be fixed.  I'll have to test it on my laptop.

When trying to add or modify/add the skill for Deadly Accuracy I'm getting this error in 1.8.0:

at SWCharGen.frmChooseSkill.get_SkillList()
   at SWCharGen.frmChooseSkill.FillGrid(Boolean doCareer)
   at SWCharGen.frmChooseSkill.ChooseSkills(CharTalent ctal, CharData myData, Character myChar, IWin32Window parent, Boolean forceCareer, Boolean forceSkill, Int32 ranks)
   at SWCharGen.frmSWCharGenMain.mySpec_ChooseSkill(Object sender, ChooseCharEventArgs e)
   at SWCharGen.SpecTree.Char_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)
   at SWCharGen.ImageButton.OnClick(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
   at SWCharGen.ImageButton.WndProc(Message& m)

This was caused by a change I made to the skill choice dialog for crafting.  It's been fixed.

Can anyone explain the droid crafting to me.  I crafted the frame and the programing, but is there a way to tie them together into a single item?  I recall getting a prompt that asked if I wanted it added as gear but when I said yes nothing seemed to have happened.  Anyone have better luck then me?

UPDATE - Nevermind, I was able to answer my own question.  The trick to crafting a droid is to not leave the crafting menu after making the chassis.  Make the body, then hit the previous button until you get to the first screen and select the directive from the dropdown.  Craft the directive, which will be auto applied to the chassis you just made and only after you are done with both hit finished.  Not sure if that is the only way to do it, but it works.

Droids are a bit different in that you have a chassis and directives.  You can do them in any order, just select which one you want to add effects to from the dropdown.  It remembers both of them, and will even use the proper roll pips (each one has a different roll).  From the first step, the default directive is none.  Just change it to something and you'll be able to choose from between the chassis and the directive in the effects step.  You don't have to do anything in a particular order.

Hey Oggdude,

Correction on data -

Spreadbarrel - the Devs have stated that when a player adds it to a weapon that already has the Blast quality that the attachment adds 2 Blast instead of 4.

What I did here was add a "QualSet" property to item descriptors to go along with the existing "QualReplace" property.  Whereas "QualReplace" will replace any existing quality, "QualSet" will replace it only if it is greater than any existing quality.  While I was at it, I changed the way those two types of qualities are displayed so they better describe what's going on.

Spread Barrel now has "QualSet" set to True, so it will add Blast 4 if it doesn't exist on the weapon, or if the weapon has a Blast quality less than 4.