OggDude

Another Character Generator

Hey OggDude... for a thousandth time... THANK YOU.  Your work is impeccable.

I did find something although I'm sure I'm doing it wrong.

I added the "Beam Splitter" from Forged in Battle into the Item Attachments area of the Data Editor.  But then going into the character generator, i click on Attachments on a gun my character has, and hit New and it doesn't appear in the list.

I've added and messed with all the modifications that I know how to... all the options.  I've looked at the options that you have come with the program to make sure I choose the same things.  I just can't get it to appear.

Help?

Hey OggDude... for a thousandth time... THANK YOU.  Your work is impeccable.

I did find something although I'm sure I'm doing it wrong.

I added the "Beam Splitter" from Forged in Battle into the Item Attachments area of the Data Editor.  But then going into the character generator, i click on Attachments on a gun my character has, and hit New and it doesn't appear in the list.

I've added and messed with all the modifications that I know how to... all the options.  I've looked at the options that you have come with the program to make sure I choose the same things.  I just can't get it to appear.

Help?

I'm an idiot... I figured I'd put my solution here so others can benefit.  I didn't have "User Data" checked as a source in "OPTIONS".  It works now.

Hey, one of my players and I noticed a mistake with an attachment tonight. Per the F&D core rules, p. 194, the Blaster Energy Dampener decreases the weapon's damage by 1. But in the character generator, the Blaster Energy Dampener has two -1 damage mods. 

Corrected it.  Thanks!

In my campaign, I've made this attachment for a lightsaber hilt, the Weighted Vane/Spike:

Some lightsaber users find that adding a Vane or Spike to the design of their lightsaber not oly allows them to disguise the weapon from a casual detection, but really give them an option in close combat that doesn't force them to ignite their lightsaber blade.

Base Modifiers: A lightsaber with this attachment more closely resembles an ancient mace or morning star than a modern lightsaber. This gives anyone searching the wielder an additional Setback dice to determine the weapon is a lightsaber. This also allows the wielder to treat the lightsaber as a Truncheon for purposes of close combat (Dam: +2; Crit: 5; Range: Engaged; Special: Disorient 2).

Modifications: 1 Damage +1 Mods, 1 Decrease the weapon’s critical rating by 1 to a minimum of 1 Mod, 1 Item Quality (Disorient +1) Mod.

Hard Points Required: 1

Cost: 100; Rarity: 5

I've created the attachment with the truncheon a built-in weapon, How can I get the additional mods to apply to the Truncheon instead of the lightsaber?

There is a way to do it, but I didn't add it to the mod editor dialog.  However, you can do it by hand.  Find your attachment in your DataCustom directory.  Inside the mod that you want to work on your innate weapon, rather than the weapon the attachment is attached to, add this line:

<WeaponModifierIndex>0</WeaponModifierIndex>

That tells it to apply the mod to the first weapon modifier (innate weapon), rather than the main weapon.

Haven't found it, though does anyone know how we make an either or skill choice in racial abilities?

If you're using the species editor, you add those as option choices.  Each option choice can have one or more options.  If it has more than one, then you choose between them.  If it has only one, it's automatically applied.

I selected "Yes." The issue was it was popping up after every single F-S Exile talent I checked, even though I didn't touch Sense Danger.

Also, in Seer, I went the long way, avoiding all the ranks in Grit and wrapping around to Sense Danger from the bottom. My character is weird (like me) :) .

The calculations are correct, but it should not have been showing that dialog.  The problem was that Forager was in both trees in the top row, so it got confused.  I added a check to make sure that the tested talent had been purchased and the dialog is now only showed when it's supposed to be.

That dialog was very annoying :)

Hey OggDude and friends!

Dude, i LOVE your generator, it simplifies the **** out of everything.

You are a god send!

I wanted to point out that in the attachments slot, the Poison Reservoir attachment in the description talks about blades but in the editor you could also put it on brawl weapons.

While it may seem okay as the poison maybe seeps in through micro needles or through skin contact, per RAW it's meant for blades i guess.

Second, i wanted to say that i think the skill modification in the data editor is broken. Because when i try to create a holocron that would make the Lore Skill career one, pressing the toggle turns off the other options (meaning if i also want to grant 1 up in that skill or add it only if it's ranked). Maybe i also used it wrong?

Thirdly, i would be happy to help if i knew .NET programming, but i don't so i am left with asking you for a feature if possible. Is it possible to add an option such that if you add a skill it will not add over a certain rank? such as those without would get a 1 up, but those with 3 or more cannot benefit from it ?

Again, thanks a bunch for your work!

And if i can help in any way, be sure to let me know.

1. Page 105 of Lords of Nal Hutta, under "Poison Reservoir", it says "this attachment can only be used with Brawl and Melee weapons."  Mechanically, it can be used with both.  But, of course, your GM can always deem a weapon (brawl or melee) to be inappropriate for the attachment.

2. It's doing what it's supposed to be doing.  If you want to add both a rank and make it non-career, add two different mods.

3. Generally, when a source book is released that has some weird new mechanic or some item or attachment that does something that the generator currently doesn't handle, I'll add it so that I can add the item or attachment and have it work.  For instance, as a minor example, I had to add a special item descriptor that adds 3 to the encumbrance threshold in order to support the cargo handling system in Savage Spirits.  For others, I had to add completely new chunks of code and even forms to support new rules.  I guess what I'm trying to say is that I'll add new features like that when I need to.  If I don't need to, I won't, unless a lot of people request it.  There's just way too much to do and not a lot of time to do it.  Adding a skill limit isn't a bad idea or anything, it's just I've got bigger fish to fry, and if I don't get the next version out fairly soon, my house is going to be surrounded by villagers with torches and pitchforks :)

And I'm glad you like the app :)

Edited by OggDude

Oggdude Still getting error 

l64Oc7h.jpg

ERROR DETAILS
Following errors were detected during this operation.
* [8/22/2016 7:28:55 PM] System.Deployment.Application.DeploymentException (Activation)
- Activation failed.
- Source: System.Deployment
- Stack trace:
at System.Deployment.Application.ComponentStore.ActivateApplication(DefinitionAppId appId, String activationParameter, Boolean useActivationParameter)
at System.Deployment.Application.SubscriptionStore.ActivateApplication(DefinitionAppId appId, String activationParameter, Boolean useActivationParameter)
at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.Activate(DefinitionAppId appId, AssemblyManifest appManifest, String activationParameter, Boolean useActivationParameter)
at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.ProcessOrFollowShortcut(String shortcutFile, String& errorPageUrl, TempFile& deployFile)
at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.PerformDeploymentActivation(Uri activationUri, Boolean isShortcut, String textualSubId, String deploymentProviderUrlFromExtension, BrowserSettings browserSettings, String& errorPageUrl)
at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.ActivateDeploymentWorker(Object state)
--- Inner Exception ---
System.IO.FileNotFoundException
- The system cannot find the file specified. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070002)
- Source: System.Deployment
- Stack trace:
at System.Deployment.Application.NativeMethods.CorLaunchApplication(UInt32 hostType, String applicationFullName, Int32 manifestPathsCount, String[] manifestPaths, Int32 activationDataCount, String[] activationData, PROCESS_INFORMATION processInformation)
at System.Deployment.Application.ComponentStore.ActivateApplication(DefinitionAppId appId, String activationParameter, Boolean useActivationParameter)

COMPONENT STORE TRANSACTION DETAILS
No transaction information is available.

Is this from a web install?  If so, uninstall (if you've already installed it), upgrade to the latest version of the .NET framework, and try a re-install.  You can also try turning off any virus checker temporarily just while installing the app.  Virus checkers can do all sorts of weird things under the hood, especially when it already thinks something is suspicious (such as downloading an unsigned executable named Setup.exe :) ).

If all else fails, try the manual install with the ZIP.

OggDude — just discovered this one. As it turns out, there is no “Wilderness Survival Kit” on page 196 of the AoR CRB. There is a “Crash Survival Kit” on page 195, but that’s the only survival kit listed in that section of the AoR CRB.

At least, that’s what I found in my copy of the AoR CRB. If you have something different, I’d love to see a picture of it. Here’s a picture of my page 196:

No clue why I added that.  I very specifically added the AoR source, too.  Odd.  Anyway, I'll remove the incorrect one :)

Well, since I can't send a PM to OggDude, guess I'll just put it here:

OggDude,

Given the shear length of the post regarding your wonderful character generator, it might really be time to setup a proper project for it with its own bug reporting and help sections. I know you've said you've never worked with source control before, but you really should consider something like Git with a project on Github.

That would allow for better tracking of issues as well as visibility of changes that are ongoing, and would even allow others to help with things like the data entry for new, base items from the various books.

I've worked with source control for years, just not with this project.  I'm actually considering getting the free version of TFS, but I just haven't had time to look into it.

As for adding the app to a project site like CodePlex or GitHub, I'd probably want to clean up the code before doing that, since... well... I haven't really been concentrating on neatness, efficiency, or optimal code design :D And since this started out as a learning project, it still has some really stupid things in it that I've either forgotten about, or haven't had time to re-design.

However, having an online Jira-type bug reporting system would be a great idea.  I do have problems keeping track of everything that people post in the forums and I know I probably miss a number of bug reports.

Hey OggDude, two things.  First off, huge thanks for your work on this program.  It's amazing and so are you.  Second, just wanted to log a super minor bug.  I noticed the Grenade (Template) is showing Encumbrance 4 instead of 1 and my poor little Chadra-Fan pyro can barely walk.  It was an easy enough issue to fix with the editor, and it sounds like your new crafting system is almost ready so maybe its moot, but I thought it was worth mentioning.

Thanks again.

All "crafting" templates and attachments will be relegated to the big bit bucket in the sky in the upcoming release.  I've added a new crafting feature for both items and droids that will do away with the cheesy templates.  So... if you've "crafted" anything using these templates, they'll disappear in the upcoming release.  However, you'll be able to add items and droids exactly like what's in the crafting sections of SM and KtP.

A) github is free to use, as is Git

I’ve had my github account for years. I’m well acquainted with how much it costs.

Of the projects on the FFG SWRPG Community pages that have set up github repos, I have forked and contributed to most of them.

B) IIRC not just the project creator but anyone can respond to threads on Github, so wouldn't just be Ogg supporting it

Anyone can respond here, too.

C) Others could more easily contribute, reducing the workload on Ogg when adding new material or updating old stuff for new features

Others have previously contributed XML files to OggDude that included a significant amount of work.

The bigger limit there is his bandwidth to accept incoming contributions and to incorporate them into the code base. And github won’t change that.

I don’t think that putting all the code up on github is going to magically fix any of these problems.

My bigger point on this matter is not that I don’t support using github, but that I think the community would be better served if more people contributed to supporting OggDude's work regardless of where it is hosted.

I have contributed to supporting OggDude. Have you?

And in case I haven't made myself clear in the past, I REALLY am grateful for all the support.  This started out as a learning project, and has turned into a labor of love.  And a lot of that is due to the overwhelming show of support for the apps from all of you guys.

From the flood of answered posts, you can tell that I haven't been reading the forums much for the past week or so.  That's because, as well as working in my job, I've been hard at work updating the new version.

The new version will have quite a bit of new features, not just Savage Spirits.  I've added a completely new crafting system that supports all crafting types from both Special Modification and Keeping the Peace, including a droid creator.  I've also added support for keeping track of schematics owned by each character, a crafting summary report that can be printed out, conversion of newly-crafted droids into "gear", just in case you want to keep track of them that way, plus a new "Companions" feature that let's you save your favorite NPCs with your character (including crafted droids).

I've also added more support for mounts.  I've added new mount-only talents, added actual silhouettes to adversaries (instead of just adding it as a generic ability), plus a new "mount" flag.  This leads to another new feature which is the conversion of a mount adversary into a vehicle.  So... you can now create a mount "companion" for your character, and create a vehicle version for doing mounted combat.  You can also do this from the GM Tools, of course; created mount vehicles will be added to stock vehicles.

To go along with mount vehicles, I'll be adding some "gear" items from Savage Spirits as "mount" attachments.  For instance, the cargo handling system is an attachment that adds to your mount vehicle's encumbrance threshold (which, for adversaries, isn't even used).  I'm also considering adding current beast armor in as mount attachments as well so they can be used on the vehicle version of a mount.

The entire look of the apps has also been updated.  I'm using new fonts that match up a lot more closely to the books, plus my HTML rendering is now being done with a built-in renderer, rather than the Microsoft web browser control.  This means much better support for using the app in a Mac environment such as Mono or Wine, plus better control over the appearance of text and symbols.

There's a lot more, of course.  As for release... I'm not sure.  I'm actually going to Germany for work during the first couple of weeks of September, so I won't have time to work on it then.  I'm trying to get as much done before then so I can hopefully get it out some time in October.  There's also Forged in Battle, which I haven't even bought yet, to support.

Anyway, just wanted to keep you up to date on what I've been doing :)

From the flood of answered posts, you can tell that I haven't been reading the forums much for the past week or so.  That's because, as well as working in my job, I've been hard at work updating the new version.

The new version will have quite a bit of new features, not just Savage Spirits.  I've added a completely new crafting system that supports all crafting types from both Special Modification and Keeping the Peace, including a droid creator.  I've also added support for keeping track of schematics owned by each character, a crafting summary report that can be printed out, conversion of newly-crafted droids into "gear", just in case you want to keep track of them that way, plus a new "Companions" feature that let's you save your favorite NPCs with your character (including crafted droids).

I've also added more support for mounts.  I've added new mount-only talents, added actual silhouettes to adversaries (instead of just adding it as a generic ability), plus a new "mount" flag.  This leads to another new feature which is the conversion of a mount adversary into a vehicle.  So... you can now create a mount "companion" for your character, and create a vehicle version for doing mounted combat.  You can also do this from the GM Tools, of course; created mount vehicles will be added to stock vehicles.

To go along with mount vehicles, I'll be adding some "gear" items from Savage Spirits as "mount" attachments.  For instance, the cargo handling system is an attachment that adds to your mount vehicle's encumbrance threshold (which, for adversaries, isn't even used).  I'm also considering adding current beast armor in as mount attachments as well so they can be used on the vehicle version of a mount.

The entire look of the apps has also been updated.  I'm using new fonts that match up a lot more closely to the books, plus my HTML rendering is now being done with a built-in renderer, rather than the Microsoft web browser control.  This means much better support for using the app in a Mac environment such as Mono or Wine, plus better control over the appearance of text and symbols.

There's a lot more, of course.  As for release... I'm not sure.  I'm actually going to Germany for work during the first couple of weeks of September, so I won't have time to work on it then.  I'm trying to get as much done before then so I can hopefully get it out some time in October.  There's also Forged in Battle, which I haven't even bought yet, to support.

would it be possible to get bits like savage spirits before you go?

Well, since I can't send a PM to OggDude, guess I'll just put it here:

OggDude,

Given the shear length of the post regarding your wonderful character generator, it might really be time to setup a proper project for it with its own bug reporting and help sections. I know you've said you've never worked with source control before, but you really should consider something like Git with a project on Github.

That would allow for better tracking of issues as well as visibility of changes that are ongoing, and would even allow others to help with things like the data entry for new, base items from the various books.

I've worked with source control for years, just not with this project.  I'm actually considering getting the free version of TFS, but I just haven't had time to look into it.

As for adding the app to a project site like CodePlex or GitHub, I'd probably want to clean up the code before doing that, since... well... I haven't really been concentrating on neatness, efficiency, or optimal code design :D And since this started out as a learning project, it still has some really stupid things in it that I've either forgotten about, or haven't had time to re-design.

However, having an online Jira-type bug reporting system would be a great idea.  I do have problems keeping track of everything that people post in the forums and I know I probably miss a number of bug reports.

Oggy, I'm in the process of reviving my old SWRPG site, and pretty much every CMS that I'm looking at has some form of project management plugin. I'd be glad, no...honored to handle setting up that end of things for you on my site, and include links to the downloads. Let me know.

In the interest of allowing the generator to be a tool to be used as you wish. I'd like to request a GM grants: The ability to make a lightsaber encumbrance 0 with the rules for constructing a lightsaber hilt, the lowest the generator can go down to is 1, even though my GM has ruled that my lightsaber is encumbrance 0.

Thanks, and have fun in Germany. My new campaign just started up and it's 50% new FFG SW players. They are in awe over your Generator. So: kudos, and please keep up the good work.

I'd like to reiterate the MANY Thank Yous for this awesome tool. My local group is starting a living Campaign that we hope to spread to the world in the future, but in the meantime we will have a lot of new players, including me.

So this tool will be amazing for helping gen characters!

Tried this character generator last night.  Spent the entire evening first learning how to use this thing, importing my players' character sheets from the hard copies they had given me into this program, and then creating a Group that was pretty much automated in its self-creation.  Loved it, and loved the sheets I printed out.  Wish I had got this when we were first starting the campaign, not only does it simplify character creation and allow you to keep track better, with things like the Group options it helps make selection of the starter ship easier (no more trawling through all the books, you get a list of appropriate starting ships when selecting the starting resource) and searching through the equipment is oh so much better.  

10 out of 10, would fap to this.

Hey, there. Love the program but I uploaded the new version, made a bunch of customizations, and now I'm having problems loading characters. When I try to select some of my existing characters (from older versions), I get a message that says "There was a problem loading the character." This does not seem to happen to all characters, just some.

Additionally, I just had the problem happen with a NEW character (actually, I tried to re-create one of the existing characters from old data).

Help? :)

We have a session this coming Sunday, so I'd love to get this sorted out sooner rather than later...