OggDude

Another Character Generator

Is there any way to add a Creature to the vehicle listings so they can be a "mount"?

You'll need to create a vehicle version of them.  I believe I have most mounts as adversaries and as "gear" (so you can buy them), but I don't think I added the vehicle versions.  I'll check on that.

Hey Oggdude,

Do you think you can help me figure out how to stop your character generator from crashing? I posted on this thread awhile back about the crashes, but I never seemed to get a response. :(

Basically I don't know why it keeps crashing, but it does. When it crashes, I get the following information:

<ProblemSignatures><EventType>CLR20r3</EventType><Parameter0>SWCharGenDataEditor.exe</Parameter0><Parameter1>1.4.6.0</Parameter1><Parameter2>558ed462</Parameter2><Parameter3>System.Drawing</Parameter3><Parameter4>4.0.30319.34209</Parameter4><Parameter5>53489a75</Parameter5><Parameter6>67f</Parameter6><Parameter7>6c</Parameter7><Parameter8>System.ArgumentException</Parameter8></ProblemSignatures>
<DynamicSignatures><Parameter1>6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3</Parameter1><Parameter2>2057</Parameter2><Parameter22>0a9e</Parameter22><Parameter23>0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789</Parameter23><Parameter24>0a9e</Parameter24><Parameter25>0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789</Parameter25></DynamicSignatures>

I love your generator, and I'd love to keep using it, but I don't know what's going on. Please help :(

Tell me about the crashes.  Does it only happen with the data editor?  Does it work OK, then crash, or does it crash on launch?  What are you doing when it crashes?  What OS are you using and how much memory do you have?

The crashes are with everything except for the launcher. Once I open either the character generator, the gm tools, or the data editor the progam crashes on launch (not the launcher itself, but the programs). I just open the launcher and click one of the three buttons and after a slight pause the program crashes. The only reason why I used the Data Editor was because that and the GM tools are the only ones that provided the above details.

I'm using a Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit operating system, and I have 4.0 GB of RAM. I have plenty of space on my hard drive (over 700 GB).

What this sounds like is that you have a conflict with SQL Server CE.  Check to see if you have it installed, and if so, uninstall it and see if the problem goes away.  SQL Server CE 3.5 is included with the chargen install.

Hey Oggdude,

Do you think you can help me figure out how to stop your character generator from crashing? I posted on this thread awhile back about the crashes, but I never seemed to get a response. :(

Basically I don't know why it keeps crashing, but it does. When it crashes, I get the following information:

<ProblemSignatures><EventType>CLR20r3</EventType><Parameter0>SWCharGenDataEditor.exe</Parameter0><Parameter1>1.4.6.0</Parameter1><Parameter2>558ed462</Parameter2><Parameter3>System.Drawing</Parameter3><Parameter4>4.0.30319.34209</Parameter4><Parameter5>53489a75</Parameter5><Parameter6>67f</Parameter6><Parameter7>6c</Parameter7><Parameter8>System.ArgumentException</Parameter8></ProblemSignatures>
<DynamicSignatures><Parameter1>6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3</Parameter1><Parameter2>2057</Parameter2><Parameter22>0a9e</Parameter22><Parameter23>0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789</Parameter23><Parameter24>0a9e</Parameter24><Parameter25>0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789</Parameter25></DynamicSignatures>

I love your generator, and I'd love to keep using it, but I don't know what's going on. Please help :(

Tell me about the crashes.  Does it only happen with the data editor?  Does it work OK, then crash, or does it crash on launch?  What are you doing when it crashes?  What OS are you using and how much memory do you have?

The crashes are with everything except for the launcher. Once I open either the character generator, the gm tools, or the data editor the progam crashes on launch (not the launcher itself, but the programs). I just open the launcher and click one of the three buttons and after a slight pause the program crashes. The only reason why I used the Data Editor was because that and the GM tools are the only ones that provided the above details.

I'm using a Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit operating system, and I have 4.0 GB of RAM. I have plenty of space on my hard drive (over 700 GB).

What this sounds like is that you have a conflict with SQL Server CE.  Check to see if you have it installed, and if so, uninstall it and see if the problem goes away.  SQL Server CE 3.5 is included with the chargen install.

So you were right that there was a conflict with the SQL Server CE in that it wasn't actually installed for some reason. I installed it and the character generator still seems to be crashing as the same way it was crashing before.

Edited by RoastedRareByte

Hey Oggdude,

So you were right that there was a conflict with the SQL Server CE in that it wasn't actually installed for some reason. I installed it and the character generator still seems to be crashing as the same way it was crashing before.

What version did you install?  The program comes with 3.5, so you shouldn't need to install it.

I may have hit a bug.

I am creating a rival creature that spits webbing. I create a custom ranged light based weapon with the following stats:

Dam: 0, Crit 3, Ensnare 3. I want a non-damaging but entangling weapon.

Whenever I view the stat block, it gives the weapon Damage 3, even though the stat on the GM tool is definitely set to 0.

Any ideas?

Hey Oggdude,

What version did you install?  The program comes with 3.5, so you shouldn't need to install it.

I installed 3.5 since apparently I didn't have it. I've been using the latest update of the character generator 4.6.

First, thanks for all of the crazy work you do on this!! 

You Rock!

I think I have a bug. When selling an item (weapon/armor) with attachments the attachments do not sell, and there is no sell attachment option. 

I am not sure if this is the same for ships, but it may be something to check.

Hey Oggdude,

I installed 3.5 since apparently I didn't have it. I've been using the latest update of the character generator 4.6.

Try uninstalling it, along with any other version of SQL Server CE, and see if that helps.  You can also try removing the "System.Data.SqlServerCe.dll" file from the install directory and see if that resolves the conflict.  Save it off somewhere first, of course.

I may have hit a bug.

I am creating a rival creature that spits webbing. I create a custom ranged light based weapon with the following stats:

Whenever I view the stat block, it gives the weapon Damage 3, even though the stat on the GM tool is definitely set to 0.

Any ideas?

Well... I had taken care of this problem internally with normal weapons by adding an option to not include Brawn for weapons with 0 base damage.  This was mainly for lightsaber hilts.  However, I didn't include this option for custom adversary weapons.

Anyway, I made some changes, so adversary custom weapons will now support this feature.  I also modified the custom weapon editor for adversaries, as well as the weapon data editor, to support this feature.  All changes will be in the next release.

First, thanks for all of the crazy work you do on this!! 

You Rock!

I think I have a bug. When selling an item (weapon/armor) with attachments the attachments do not sell, and there is no sell attachment option. 

I am not sure if this is the same for ships, but it may be something to check.

Not so much a bug, as it just ignores attachments when you go to sell.  I'll see about changing this.

Try uninstalling it, along with any other version of SQL Server CE, and see if that helps.  You can also try removing the "System.Data.SqlServerCe.dll" file from the install directory and see if that resolves the conflict.  Save it off somewhere first, of course.

I just tried both and no dice.

On the bright side (?), neither the GM Tools nor the Data Editor are providing crash reports anymore. They just load for a moment before not opening the program. The character generator itself is still crashing as usual.

I may have hit a bug.

Any ideas?

Well... I had taken care of this problem internally with normal weapons by adding an option to not include Brawn for weapons with 0 base damage.  This was mainly for lightsaber hilts.  However, I didn't include this option for custom adversary weapons.

Anyway, I made some changes, so adversary custom weapons will now support this feature.  I also modified the custom weapon editor for adversaries, as well as the weapon data editor, to support this feature.  All changes will be in the next release.

Fantastic!

*Possible Bug*

Ok this is my groups set up:

3M5QHor.png

The problem is that when go to add the Favor of 30 group Obligation it only adds it as 5.

You probably just typed in "30" and hit "Update".  After typing in the value, try hitting the tab key or another control so the control exits edit mode (when the cursor is flashing).  Clicking the up/down arrows should immediately set the value.

*Possible Bug*

Ok this is my groups set up:

3M5QHor.png

The problem is that when go to add the Favor of 30 group Obligation it only adds it as 5.

You probably just typed in "30" and hit "Update".  After typing in the value, try hitting the tab key or another control so the control exits edit mode (when the cursor is flashing).  Clicking the up/down arrows should immediately set the value.

Derp :/

That was it. Thx.

Was trying to create a new Adversary entry and lost the ability to interact with the program, other than imputing text into the description box. My mouse cursor disappeared while over the window, and I had to force-close the process in task manager to escape. Any idea what happened?

EDIT: Just tried again and this time the same thing happened while typing in the name.

Edited by jivjov

Ogg,

Fact: If you purchase a Non-stacking Talent in one specialization, you are allowed to bypass it without spending any points when you reach it in another class.

My Question: If possess the class skills granted from the talents Basic Combat Training, Tactical Combat Training, Vehicle Combat Training, or Well-Traveled, shouldn't you be allowed to bypass those talents without spending any points?

If yes, can you make the Character Generator check for that?

Thanks!

While you may possess the class skills granted from them, that does not mean that you possess that talent.  Sure that talent would do nothing else for you at that point, but at least by the rules, that still means that you would have to purchase the talent and cannot bypass it.  If anything, that'd be a GM's call if they wanted to allow you to bypass it.

I posed this question to the developers:

Recruit Universal Specialization.

AoR Core Rulebook page 140: “Talents that are not ranked can only be purchased a single time. If a character is advancing through a specialization tree and reaches a talent without ranks that he has already acquired from another specialization tree, then he automatically purchases that talent on his new talent tree without spending experience points.”

There are four talents on the recruit tree that grant specific career skills (Basic, Tactical and Vehicle Combat Training and Well Traveled).

If you already possess the career skills that one of those talents grant you, must you pay the cost for that talent, or are you granted that talent without spending experience points?

For example, A Soldier Medic that takes recruit. Because he is already trained in Brawl, Melee, Ranged (Light), and Ranged (Heavy), he effectively already has the equivalent of both Basic Combat Training and Tactical Combat Training. Would he gain those Talents without spending experience points? Or would he still need to spend 5 experience points apiece for those talents?

I realize that he can always work his way down one pathway and work his way back up another to avoid spending experience points on talents that are unnecessary to him, but does he need to go to that trouble?

Here is the answer I received:

Hi Damon,

Good question.

Your proposed Soldier Medic would indeed need to purchase those talents to progress down those paths through the tree. Even though the soldier possesses the related career skills already, the character does not possess the talent named Basic Combat Training or Tactical Combat Training, so the character does not automatically gain those talents upon reaching them in the Recruit specialization tree.

Of course, the character certainly can purchase these talents to reach the ones below or, as you note, buy around them.

I hope that this helps!

--
Max Brooke
RPG Producer
Fantasy Flight Games

So alas, you guys were right. It makes sense, I was just hoping for a different answer.

Edited by Dakkar98

Bug Reports:

So, I have version 1.4.6.0 (see https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/79813707/SW-EotE/Errors%20and%20Warnings/Screen%20Shot%202015-07-24%20at%208.03.30%20PM.png), and it looks like you have not yet fixed the numerical sorting problem I previously reported (see https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/79813707/SW-EotE/Errors%20and%20Warnings/Screen%20Shot%202015-07-02%20at%2012.03.01%20AM.png).

In addition, I noticed that the graphic for the Blaster Carbine (see https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/79813707/SW-EotE/Errors%20and%20Warnings/Screen%20Shot%202015-07-24%20at%208.01.47%20PM.png) and the Blaster Rifle (see https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/79813707/SW-EotE/Errors%20and%20Warnings/Screen%20Shot%202015-07-24%20at%208.01.36%20PM.png) appear to be the same. In fact, there is about a one or two pixel offset between them that you can see if you quickly switch back and forth between those two entries, but the content itself seems to be the same.

For the Blaster Rifle, I figure you probably want to use something like http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20060803115753/starwars/images/d/d8/Blasterrifles_negwt.jpg or http://img1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20080506132013/starwars/images/b/b5/E11_egwt.png — right?

Edited by bradknowles

In addition, I noticed that the graphic for the Blaster Carbine (see https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/79813707/SW-EotE/Errors%20and%20Warnings/Screen%20Shot%202015-07-24%20at%208.01.47%20PM.png) and the Blaster Rifle (see https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/79813707/SW-EotE/Errors%20and%20Warnings/Screen%20Shot%202015-07-24%20at%208.01.36%20PM.png) appear to be the same. In fact, there is about a one or two pixel offset between them that you can see if you quickly switch back and forth between those two entries, but the content itself seems to be the same.

For the Blaster Rifle, I figure you probably want to use something like http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20060803115753/starwars/images/d/d8/Blasterrifles_negwt.jpg or http://img1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20080506132013/starwars/images/b/b5/E11_egwt.png — right?

EotR Core Rule book Page 163, shows one graphic that shows Boba Fett's EE-3 Blaster rifle. Directly beneath it, it says Blaster Rifle / Carbine.

The graphic is just fine. If you want to change it in your files to one of the others that is your prerogative. ;)  

Edited by Dakkar98

EotR Core Rule book Page 163, shows one graphic that shows Boba Fett's EE-3 Blaster rifle. Directly beneath it, it says Blaster Rifle / Carbine.

The graphic is just fine. If you want to change it in your files to one of the others that is your prerogative. ;)

Technically, they should both be considered Blaster Carbines, because the E-11 has a collapsible stock, and in the movies is frequently used one-handed.

However, in this game, one is the canonical “Blaster Carbine” and the other is the canonical “Blaster Rifle”. Since OggDude can show two different graphics for the two different entries, I would assume that he would want to do so.

But obviously, that choice is ultimately up to him. I’m just making a suggestion.

With regards to the graphic shown on page 163 of the EotE CRB, you are correct. However in the corresponding text for that weapon, it says:

BLASTER RIFLE / CARBINE

The rifle or carbine blaster is the typical firearm of soldiers and heavy security forces around the galaxy. Their longer barrels propel bolts much further than blaster pistols, and their heavier cartridges typically trigger a more powerful blast of particles.

Stormtroopers in service of the Empire carry E-11 blaster rifles with folding stocks. At short range, the rifle can be fired one-handed — just as if it were a heavy pistol. The stock is extended when firing at more distant targets so that the trooper can better stabilize his aim.

Models Include: E-11 Blaster Rifle (multiple manufacturers), BlasTech A280 Blaster Rifle.

Note that there is no mention of the E-3 or EE-3 Blaster Carbine anywhere in that text, not even in the “Models Include” section at the end.

So, which is more canonical — the text or the picture?

FFG has always said that the canonical information for any item is contained within the table for the stats, whereas the fluff text is automatically wrong if it conflicts with the table. There’s been one or two exceptions to that rule, but that is the basic rule.

But when it comes to the fluff text versus the picture? I don’t know that anyone has ever asked them that question.

Now, what about AoR? Because they kept the same drawing, but they changed the fluff text and split the Blaster Carbine into a separate listing from the Blaster Rifle. In that example, the BlasTech EE-3 is referenced as one of the known models of Blaster Carbine, and the E-11 is referenced as one of the known models of Blaster Rifle.

In that case, it seems clear that they meant to set the record straight, but they forgot to change the accompanying graphic to match.

So, given all the above, my recommendation stands. If OggDude is going to have separate Blaster Carbine and Blaster Rifle entries, it makes the most sense to me to show as the Blaster Carbine the BlasTech E-3 (or EE-3, depending on the designation you prefer), while showing the Blaster Rifle to be the E-11.

So, given all the above, my recommendation stands. If OggDude is going to have separate Blaster Carbine and Blaster Rifle entries, it makes the most sense to me to show as the Blaster Carbine the BlasTech E-3 (or EE-3, depending on the designation you prefer), while showing the Blaster Rifle to be the E-11.

I have to point out the rifle on in the bottom left corner of the graphic you suggest he pull an image from for a blaster rifle: http://img2.wikia.no...ifles_negwt.jpg

Bug Reports:

So, I have version 1.4.6.0 (see https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/79813707/SW-EotE/Errors%20and%20Warnings/Screen%20Shot%202015-07-24%20at%208.03.30%20PM.png), and it looks like you have not yet fixed the numerical sorting problem I previously reported (see https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/79813707/SW-EotE/Errors%20and%20Warnings/Screen%20Shot%202015-07-02%20at%2012.03.01%20AM.png).

The sorting has been fixed and will be in the next release.  And just for you, Brad, I changed the generic blaster rifle picture to the E11 :)

Edit: And apparently for Dakkar as well.  Didn't see you guys' discussion :)  And it is the one in the right bottom corner (without the stock folded out).

Edited by OggDude

I have to point out the rifle on in the bottom left corner of the graphic you suggest he pull an image from for a blaster rifle: http://img2.wikia.no...ifles_negwt.jpg

Yup, I saw that. The label says “E-3 Blaster Rifle” and then below that, it says “(Boba Fett’s Blaster Rifle)”.

If you look at the other graphic to the right of that one, the label says “E-11 Blaster Rifle”, and nothing else.

However, since FFG seems to be fine with re-using old graphics but changing the terminology somewhat, I still submit that the E-3 (or EE-3, if you use FFG’s terminology from AoR) makes a better choice for the “Blaster Carbine”, while the E-11 makes a better choice for the “Blaster Rifle”.