OggDude

Another Character Generator

1st : this is an AMAZING tool.  Thank you so much for doing it and for keeping it updated!  (I just sent you a small donation).

I did notice one thing as I was diligently imputing data...There is a listing for Base Foci of "Weapons Depot" and "Research Center" listed to be out of the Desperate Allies book...however, I don't see it in the book...Just thought I'd let you know.

Yeah, they were a little light (and a bit obscure) when it came to foci, so I gleaned those two from the Core Focus description.  Just a bit more variety, and they are mentioned, even if briefly.

Question on Cumbersome. With a 2 Str, 3 ranks in Burly, and a weapon harness, a HOB HRB would have a cumbersome of 1 and a encumbrance of 7. Why is the cumbersome penalty warning being displayed on the print out? Would think that with a 2 Str there would be no cumbersome penalty. 

Also, I saw in the data editor that one can edit/fill in all of the space ship actions & maneuvers. How can one print them out? Is it part of the GM tools?  Finally is there a way to include (or print out) all of the different ways one can spend [AD] & [TR] on? The easy was would be to just photo copy the pages, but I thought I would ask. 

As always, thank you for fielding all of these questions. 

There was actually a bit of a calculation error there.  When I add up item qualities, I need to pass them through a routine to see if talents either change an existing quality, or add a new quality.  The problem was that I was doing this more than once on the same pass, so Burly was being applied twice.  It's been fixed for the next release.

Yeah, you can fill in descriptions for vehicle actions.  A list of them also shows up when you're choosing roster positions for encounters.  But currently, I don't actually have a printable list for them.  I did play around with something like that for vehicle sheets, but I didn't like the way they looked, so I didn't include them.

If I wanted to add a custom soucebook...say...The Spark of Rebellion, into the generator with the intent to export it and share it around, how will I go about doing that?

If you want to add SoR items, just go into the data editor and create a new data set.  You can call the data set "Spark of Rebellion" if you like.  With that data set selected, just start adding items from the PDF.  Make sure for each item, you give it a source of "Spark of Rebellion".  Occasionally hit "Save" to make sure your work is saved.

When you've added everything you want (species, weapons, armor, whatever) and saved it, you can then export the data set.  This will create a ZIP archive containing just the stuff you added while the "Spark of Rebellion" data set was selected.  Giving this file to someone else will allow them to do an import, adding the items in the data set to their own custom data.

Question on Cumbersome. With a 2 Str, 3 ranks in Burly, and a weapon harness, a HOB HRB would have a cumbersome of 1 and a encumbrance of 7. Why is the cumbersome penalty warning being displayed on the print out? Would think that with a 2 Str there would be no cumbersome penalty. 

Also, I saw in the data editor that one can edit/fill in all of the space ship actions & maneuvers. How can one print them out? Is it part of the GM tools?  Finally is there a way to include (or print out) all of the different ways one can spend [AD] & [TR] on? The easy was would be to just photo copy the pages, but I thought I would ask. 

As always, thank you for fielding all of these questions. 

There was actually a bit of a calculation error there.  When I add up item qualities, I need to pass them through a routine to see if talents either change an existing quality, or add a new quality.  The problem was that I was doing this more than once on the same pass, so Burly was being applied twice.  It's been fixed for the next release.

Yeah, you can fill in descriptions for vehicle actions.  A list of them also shows up when you're choosing roster positions for encounters.  But currently, I don't actually have a printable list for them.  I did play around with something like that for vehicle sheets, but I didn't like the way they looked, so I didn't include them.

Anyway one can convince you to pursue said option? Would be pretty cool to have. 

If I wanted to add a custom soucebook...say...The Spark of Rebellion, into the generator with the intent to export it and share it around, how will I go about doing that?

Are there any other fan source books besides this?

Second we should have at least latest generator on Age of Rebellion and Force and Destiny since I know some have a favorite and only keep up with one of the thread pages

And great generator....I know I said this before but thanks

Edited by Kilcannon

Well, there's the Unofficial Species Menagerie, which has been included in the program.

There's also Ways of the Force that I did, but that's not been updated since 08/11/14, just before the Force and Destiny Beta was released, so a lot of that material is horrendously outdated at this point, and probably not worth including in any sort of supported capacity by OggDude.

From what I recall when discussion came up regarding a thread of fan-designed starships, OggDude's stance on fan material as generally been "you'll have to add it on your own," with the USM being a major exception due to how useful everyone found it to be.

Another data editor question! Is there a way to make a vehicle weapon unique to that vehicle...basically I'm trying to add a new weapon for one particular vehicle into my data editor...but I don't want it to be selectable by any PCs for their own vehicle. How would I go about accomplishing this? Maybe a future addition to the data editor to blacklist the weapon from weapon upgrade options?

Furthermore, can I assign images to things like custom species, vehicles, gear etc?

Edited by Ebak

Another data editor question! Is there a way to make a vehicle weapon unique to that vehicle...basically I'm trying to add a new weapon for one particular vehicle into my data editor...but I don't want it to be selectable by any PCs for their own vehicle. How would I go about accomplishing this? Maybe a future addition to the data editor to blacklist the weapon from weapon upgrade options?

Furthermore, can I assign images to things like custom species, vehicles, gear etc?

I don't have a way of limiting what weapons go where.  Just tell your PCs that the weapon isn't available, or make it outrageously expensive so they can't afford it :)

There's a section in the documentation that tells you how to add images to your custom data.

Well, there's the Unofficial Species Menagerie, which has been included in the program.

There's also Ways of the Force that I did, but that's not been updated since 08/11/14, just before the Force and Destiny Beta was released, so a lot of that material is horrendously outdated at this point, and probably not worth including in any sort of supported capacity by OggDude.

From what I recall when discussion came up regarding a thread of fan-designed starships, OggDude's stance on fan material as generally been "you'll have to add it on your own," with the USM being a major exception due to how useful everyone found it to be.

Yeah, pretty much.  The USM was just so outrageously cool and useful, it just had to be added (go ahead and give Donovan your praise and adulation for the USM; he deserves it) :)  As for Spark of Rebellion, it seems to be getting a lot of acceptance, so if enough people want it, I'll see about adding it as a new source.  I did get an acknowledgement in it, after all ;)

Thanks for the great program, here are some things I noticed while using it.

Release 1.4.6.0

• Vehicles can now come with built-in attachments.  Only attachments with no optional mods may be included with a vehicle.
  • Updated the attachment and vehicle editors to support the above new features.
I like being able to put built in attachments on vehicles.

I used it to display the mechanics of the "ANQ 3.6 Tracking Computer that" is part of the "A-36 Pathfinder-class Force Recon Vessel" (Enter the Unknown pg.60).

I don't like that I can find no way to make built-in attachments display first in the list of attachments on a ship sheet printed from the character editor.

They seem to always be the last item in the attachments list which is strange since they are the very first "attachment" the ship ever has.

Some of the weapons stats for the "A-36 Pathfinder-class Force Recon Vessel" don't match what is in Enter the Unknown.

The "Dorsal turret-mounted light ion cannon" has "Damage 8" instead of the standard "Damage 5" for a light ion cannon.

I suspect this is a typo in the book (Standard Heavy Ion Cannon is "Damage 7") but I thought I would mention it.

The "Forward-mounted concussion missle launcher" on this ship is a single tube without the "Slow Firing" property though it is "Slow Firing 1" in your Data files.

While looking into how to print out a corrected sheet for my game I found that the "Quality Overrides" section of the Stock Weapon editor in the Vehicle Editor in the Data Editor does not have a way to remove a Quality or set its value to "0".

I had to make a custom copy of the "concussion missle laucher" weapon without the "Slow Firing" property and assign it to the Vehicle in place of the standard "concussion missile laucher" to print it this way.

Edited by arclance

Hi, 

First of all , I want to congratulated you for the work done.
I am a French player and I would need a French version . You were talking a few months ago , a refflexion on the internationalization of the game, what about it ?

It is true:
We can translate the XML file that you provided ( and this is what we did ), but this causes problems whenever you modify the files.
We can also use the editor , but this causes problems; exchange figures showing the keys generated randomly

Yeah, pretty much.  The USM was just so outrageously cool and useful, it just had to be added (go ahead and give Donovan your praise and adulation for the USM; he deserves it) :)  As for Spark of Rebellion, it seems to be getting a lot of acceptance, so if enough people want it, I'll see about adding it as a new source.  I did get an acknowledgement in it, after all ;)

I generally disallow homebrew stuff from my games, but just in principle I would like to see Spark of Rebellion supported by your program! The more bits and bobs you can turn on and off to support non-Rules-as-Written games, the better, in my opinion (as long as, at the end of the day, RAW play is still supported)

Thanks for the great program, here are some things I noticed while using it.

Release 1.4.6.0

• Vehicles can now come with built-in attachments.  Only attachments with no optional mods may be included with a vehicle.
  • Updated the attachment and vehicle editors to support the above new features.
I like being able to put built in attachments on vehicles.

I used it to display the mechanics of the "ANQ 3.6 Tracking Computer that" is part of the "A-36 Pathfinder-class Force Recon Vessel" (Enter the Unknown pg.60).

I don't like that I can find no way to make built-in attachments display first in the list of attachments on a ship sheet printed from the character editor.

They seem to always be the last item in the attachments list which is strange since they are the very first "attachment" the ship ever has.

Some of the weapons stats for the "A-36 Pathfinder-class Force Recon Vessel" don't match what is in Enter the Unknown.

The "Dorsal turret-mounted light ion cannon" has "Damage 8" instead of the standard "Damage 5" for a light ion cannon.

I suspect this is a typo in the book (Standard Heavy Ion Cannon is "Damage 7") but I thought I would mention it.

The "Forward-mounted concussion missle launcher" on this ship is a single tube without the "Slow Firing" property though it is "Slow Firing 1" in your Data files.

While looking into how to print out a corrected sheet for my game I found that the "Quality Overrides" section of the Stock Weapon editor in the Vehicle Editor in the Data Editor does not have a way to remove a Quality or set its value to "0".

I had to make a custom copy of the "concussion missle laucher" weapon without the "Slow Firing" property and assign it to the Vehicle in place of the standard "concussion missile laucher" to print it this way.

The weapon damages were correct on my side.  Are you sure you haven't customized those weapons?

I made some changes to the vehicle weapon editor.  You can now specify a 0 for count, which will remove the quality from the weapon.  Unranked qualities will accept 0 or 1 for a value, with 0 removing it, and 1 adding it.  I have a feeling that leaving off Slow Firing on the concussion missile launcher was a typo, but since it's in the book, the A-36's version will not have Slow Firing anymore.

I sometimes miss specialized attachments when they're included in sidebars.  I added the tracking computer and engineering access attachments from EtU and they now come stock on their two vessels.

As for ordering... after you add an attachment, it's saved with the vehicle.  Built-in attachments are added to the attachment list afterwards, which is why they're showing up last.

Hi, 

First of all , I want to congratulated you for the work done.

I am a French player and I would need a French version . You were talking a few months ago , a refflexion on the internationalization of the game, what about it ?

It is true:

We can translate the XML file that you provided ( and this is what we did ), but this causes problems whenever you modify the files.

We can also use the editor , but this causes problems; exchange figures showing the keys generated randomly

The big problem is that I didn't start writing the software with internationalization in mind, so now it's going to be difficult to do.  I will probably bite the bullet one of these days and put something together for it, but it might be awhile.

The weapon damages were correct on my side.  Are you sure you haven't customized those weapons?

This is the Light Ion Cannon entry copied straight from "A-36 Pathfinder-class Force Recon Vessel.xml" found in the 6/27/2015 (v1.4.6.0) release manual install zip file (not my install directory).

<VehicleWeapon>
      <FiringArcs>
        <Fore>true</Fore>
        <Aft>true</Aft>
        <Port>true</Port>
        <Starboard>true</Starboard>
        <Dorsal>true</Dorsal>
        <Ventral>false</Ventral>
      </FiringArcs>
      <Turret>true</Turret>
      <Location>Dorsal</Location>
      <Retractable>false</Retractable>
      <Qualities />
      <Key>IONLT</Key>
      <Count>1</Count>
    </VehicleWeapon>
Note the lack of a override on the weapon damage to set it to "8" as written in the book instead of the default "5" for a light ion cannon.

A printout of the Pathfinder made using this file results in a Damage of 5 for the light ion cannon.

I think the "8" is a typo and "5" is the correct value, this (which was hard to find) seems to confirm that.

I have made no changes to the original "A-36 Pathfinder-class Force Recon Vessel.xml" file in my install directory.

I made all my changes to a copy made in the data editor, originaly so I could change the "<crew>" string and passenger capacity to reflect the fact that we added a "Ventral Turret Mounted Retractable Heavy Laser Cannon" to the ship.

There does not seem to be a way to edit those values in the Character Creator so I did it that way.

I can't seem to find a way to set the ships current encumbrance (we had a bacta tank installed) either.

I made some changes to the vehicle weapon editor.  You can now specify a 0 for count, which will remove the quality from the weapon.  Unranked qualities will accept 0 or 1 for a value, with 0 removing it, and 1 adding it.

Excellent, I will be able to retire the custom weapon when the next version is released then.

I have a feeling that leaving off Slow Firing on the concussion missile launcher was a typo, but since it's in the book, the A-36's version will not have Slow Firing anymore.

It might not be since the ship only has One Missile Tube (without "Slow Firing") instead of the standard Two with "Linked 1, Slow Firing 1".

You end up being able to fire the same number of missiles every (multiple of two) rounds, the pathfinder just fires one every round instead of two every other round like most ships do.

I sometimes miss specialized attachments when they're included in sidebars.  I added the tracking computer and engineering access attachments from EtU and they now come stock on their two vessels.

Thats good.

We actually finally agreed on the A-36 Pathfinder because the tracking computer gave players whose characters could not fly the ship, repair it, or fire the weapons accurately something to do in combat.

As for ordering... after you add an attachment, it's saved with the vehicle.  Built-in attachments are added to the attachment list afterwards, which is why they're showing up last.

You could reorder the list at least when printing them anyway, it looks weird (but usable) as it is now.

Since you know it is a built in attachment when adding it to the list you could just make the list longer at that point then move the player added attachments down the list however many built-in attachments the ship has, then add the built in attachments to the now empty spot open to it at the start of the list.

Edited by arclance

Hey Oggdude,

Do you think you can help me figure out how to stop your character generator from crashing? I posted on this thread awhile back about the crashes, but I never seemed to get a response. :(

Basically I don't know why it keeps crashing, but it does. When it crashes, I get the following information:

<ProblemSignatures><EventType>CLR20r3</EventType><Parameter0>SWCharGenDataEditor.exe</Parameter0><Parameter1>1.4.6.0</Parameter1><Parameter2>558ed462</Parameter2><Parameter3>System.Drawing</Parameter3><Parameter4>4.0.30319.34209</Parameter4><Parameter5>53489a75</Parameter5><Parameter6>67f</Parameter6><Parameter7>6c</Parameter7><Parameter8>System.ArgumentException</Parameter8></ProblemSignatures>
<DynamicSignatures><Parameter1>6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3</Parameter1><Parameter2>2057</Parameter2><Parameter22>0a9e</Parameter22><Parameter23>0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789</Parameter23><Parameter24>0a9e</Parameter24><Parameter25>0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789</Parameter25></DynamicSignatures>

I love your generator, and I'd love to keep using it, but I don't know what's going on. Please help :(

i just wanted to commend your work on this, OggDude. In the week since I found and downloaded your app, it's immediately become far-and-away the best resource I have for planning and organizing my game. I'm naturally inclined towards a ridiculous amount of world-building, but with the first two sessions of my game, the practicalities of having to sort through PDF documents meant I was focusing exclusively on information directly relevant to the next round of encounters. I've only been toying with your toolkit for a few days, but I've already built a library of detailed NPC's to completely fill out the backstories of my players and have story fuel (both planned and improvised) for months to come. I haven't had a chance to play with it yet, but the character tracking seems like an incredibly resource to keep tabs on the progress of my players. As a GM completely fresh to the process, I just want to thank you from the bottom of my heart. I'll be making a donation as soon as I'm financially able.

That said, if you're taking advice for future features, I have a few ideas. I don't have a background in programming, so I don't know how difficult they'd be to implement (and the app is incredibly solid as is); but I thought I'd provide some input from the side of someone who's using it for their own campaign.

There's an option to classify characters into groups. I've been using general terms like "bounty hunter", "pirate", "trader", but it would be incredibly useful if you could sort these characters under multiple tags. For instance, I have a character who's a captain in the Correlian security forces. He has history with one of my player's Correlian pilot, and he's also an Obligation contact for a gand bounty hunter in my team. Being able to tag him as a Correlian NPC or as an obligation contact would be a superb option. Granted, it's not a big problem now but could be incredibly convenient once characters get into the triple digits. Thinking about it, I suppose I could mitigate part of this problem by essentially creating PC "groups" and dumping the characters into those.

I also note that each PC (and the PC group) can have ships directly linked to their profiles. It would be nice to be able to link ships to NPCs (although, building groups could potentially provide a workaround to this problem as well).

Also, a section for noting the species of NPCs would be a nice (though incredibly minor in the long-run) feature.

Finally, if there was a database devoted to setting (planets/cities/districts), this app would have basically everything I need to keep my game running. It could be something as simple as a database with a text block, but the ability to cross-reference these setting with characters or track information like sector, Imperial presence, and item availability would just be icing on the cake.

Regardless, great work! And thank you so much. This software alone has made the game so much more accessible to a fledgling GM.

Edited by dxanders

Hey Oggdude,

Do you think you can help me figure out how to stop your character generator from crashing? I posted on this thread awhile back about the crashes, but I never seemed to get a response. :(

Basically I don't know why it keeps crashing, but it does. When it crashes, I get the following information:

<ProblemSignatures><EventType>CLR20r3</EventType><Parameter0>SWCharGenDataEditor.exe</Parameter0><Parameter1>1.4.6.0</Parameter1><Parameter2>558ed462</Parameter2><Parameter3>System.Drawing</Parameter3><Parameter4>4.0.30319.34209</Parameter4><Parameter5>53489a75</Parameter5><Parameter6>67f</Parameter6><Parameter7>6c</Parameter7><Parameter8>System.ArgumentException</Parameter8></ProblemSignatures>
<DynamicSignatures><Parameter1>6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3</Parameter1><Parameter2>2057</Parameter2><Parameter22>0a9e</Parameter22><Parameter23>0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789</Parameter23><Parameter24>0a9e</Parameter24><Parameter25>0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789</Parameter25></DynamicSignatures>

I love your generator, and I'd love to keep using it, but I don't know what's going on. Please help :(

Tell me about the crashes.  Does it only happen with the data editor?  Does it work OK, then crash, or does it crash on launch?  What are you doing when it crashes?  What OS are you using and how much memory do you have?

Hey Oggdude,

Tell me about the crashes.  Does it only happen with the data editor?  Does it work OK, then crash, or does it crash on launch?  What are you doing when it crashes?  What OS are you using and how much memory do you have?

The crashes are with everything except for the launcher. Once I open either the character generator, the gm tools, or the data editor the progam crashes on launch (not the launcher itself, but the programs). I just open the launcher and click one of the three buttons and after a slight pause the program crashes. The only reason why I used the Data Editor was because that and the GM tools are the only ones that provided the above details.

I'm using a Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit operating system, and I have 4.0 GB of RAM. I have plenty of space on my hard drive (over 700 GB).

i just wanted to commend your work on this, OggDude. In the week since I found and downloaded your app, it's immediately become far-and-away the best resource I have for planning and organizing my game. I'm naturally inclined towards a ridiculous amount of world-building, but with the first two sessions of my game, the practicalities of having to sort through PDF documents meant I was focusing exclusively on information directly relevant to the next round of encounters. I've only been toying with your toolkit for a few days, but I've already built a library of detailed NPC's to completely fill out the backstories of my players and have story fuel (both planned and improvised) for months to come. I haven't had a chance to play with it yet, but the character tracking seems like an incredibly resource to keep tabs on the progress of my players. As a GM completely fresh to the process, I just want to thank you from the bottom of my heart. I'll be making a donation as soon as I'm financially able.

That said, if you're taking advice for future features, I have a few ideas. I don't have a background in programming, so I don't know how difficult they'd be to implement (and the app is incredibly solid as is); but I thought I'd provide some input from the side of someone who's using it for their own campaign.

There's an option to classify characters into groups. I've been using general terms like "bounty hunter", "pirate", "trader", but it would be incredibly useful if you could sort these characters under multiple tags. For instance, I have a character who's a captain in the Correlian security forces. He has history with one of my player's Correlian pilot, and he's also an Obligation contact for a gand bounty hunter in my team. Being able to tag him as a Correlian NPC or as an obligation contact would be a superb option. Granted, it's not a big problem now but could be incredibly convenient once characters get into the triple digits. Thinking about it, I suppose I could mitigate part of this problem by essentially creating PC "groups" and dumping the characters into those.

I also note that each PC (and the PC group) can have ships directly linked to their profiles. It would be nice to be able to link ships to NPCs (although, building groups could potentially provide a workaround to this problem as well).

Also, a section for noting the species of NPCs would be a nice (though incredibly minor in the long-run) feature.

Finally, if there was a database devoted to setting (planets/cities/districts), this app would have basically everything I need to keep my game running. It could be something as simple as a database with a text block, but the ability to cross-reference these setting with characters or track information like sector, Imperial presence, and item availability would just be icing on the cake.

Regardless, great work! And thank you so much. This software alone has made the game so much more accessible to a fledgling GM.

By "characters into groups" do you mean "adversaries into categories"?  If so, then yes, each adversary can have one category.  You can, however, type in a filter for the name.  Also, although it's not exactly meant for this, you could create a base of operations (it doesn't have to be a real base or anything) in your PC group and use it to add NPCs relevant to the group.

For linking NPCs to vehicles, the best way to do that is to create an encounter.  You could, for instance, create an encounter called "Peg Leg the Hutt's Pirate Crew", add Peg Leg and his crew, add a starship, then create a roster for the ship positions.  Whenever your group runs across the pirates, you probably already want an encounter for it, anyway.

The way the official stat blocks tend to work is that a particular adversary's species, if it's relevant, is included in the name, such as "Aqualish Thug".

I've thought about including something like a gazeteer, since I usually create my own planets and the like in Word or Publisher if they don't exist anywhere else.  I'll have to think on that one some more :)