OggDude

Another Character Generator

So, I just downloaded the new version from the Copy.com link (manual install). Extracted the zip over the old install I had, everything worked fine. Opened it up, played around a bit, closed it. All my characters were there and I could load, modify, create, and do whatever else. Closed the program, then I overwrote the Talents.xml file with the one posted in this thread, way back. I opened it up again, but now, all of my characters were gone. Is there any way to get them back? I see no reason why overwriting Talents.xml would cause this, but it is really the only change so it is the only culprit. I'd appreciate any help!

First off, don't touch anything in the install directory.  The apps need everything found there exactly the way it is.  If you want to add descriptions, you do so using custom data.  The best way of handling external custom data is to create a data set with what you want to add, export the data set, then import it where you want it.  Try to avoid copying XML files around, or you could mess things up, as you just found out :)

So I'm guessing there is no way to restore the lost chars...? Aside from a restore point or something like that.

EDIT: nevermind. Restoring the XML file that came with the install zip did it

Edited by dfn

A few minor items of note:

• I upgraded my DropBox account, which means I can generate 10x the traffic I used to without DropBox sending me nasty emails :)  So, I'm hoping the DropBox links will stay up now.  Unless, of course, the character generator becomes 10x more popular than it is now :)  
  • If you're currently using the Copy.com web install, please continue to do so, as they don't have bandwidth limitations that I'm aware of, and I'd rather stay in DropBox's good graces.  Likewise, if you're new to the generator, please also use Copy.com.
  • To drive home the above point, I moved the Copy.com links in my signature before the DropBox links.  Again, please use them to take pressure off of my DropBox account.
  • I changed the URL for the Copy.com web install so you won't get Bitly's "STOP!!!  If you download this, everyone dies!!!" warning page anymore.  I'm sure that caused more than one person to take pause :)  The only reason it showed up was because the link pointed to an executable (the chargen's setup app) and Bitly was trying to protect you.  I'm now using another level of indirection, so Bitly is now none the wiser.
  • And in case anyone's wondering, I use Bitly only for the download and activity statistics, which are very nice.  If DropBox and Copy.com had download statistics, I wouldn't bother.

Feature Request:

This is another edge case (pun only partially intended), but when using the "Data Path" option in the launcher to change the data storage location, any chance you could make the pop-out window/dialog be one where you can either browse for a folder (as per the current setup) and allow an address to be typed in to an entry box?  The current design makes it very difficult to select a LAN share as you can't type the address directly.

Thanks.

Edit: Sorry, just realised I can simply type what I need in the box instead of using the "choose" dialog.  D'oh.  Sorry.

Edited by NGnear

Hi Oggdude

I'm hoping you can help.

When I choose to create a new character, then I select 'Bothan', and then click the 'Skills' tab, the Skullduggery and Deception skills show 3 green diamonds and a small black box with a red 'X' in it.

Anything I am doing wrong, or is it supposed to be that way?

Other than that, top work matey!

Steve

Hi Oggdude

I'm hoping you can help.

When I choose to create a new character, then I select 'Bothan', and then click the 'Skills' tab, the Skullduggery and Deception skills show 3 green diamonds and a small black box with a red 'X' in it.

Anything I am doing wrong, or is it supposed to be that way?

Other than that, top work matey!

Steve

It's supposed to be that way.  

The black boxes are noting removal of Setback dice due to the Racial Free rank of the Convincing Demeanor Talent.

And if the box has a red X in it, then you have a very old version of the program.  It should have a red minus sign in it.  The X was confusing people into thinking that a picture didn't load or something.

Whenever I run the copy.com web setup now I get an error.  I've been using the copy.com web setup for the last few versions, pretty much since you started using copy.com.

An error occurred trying to download 'http://copy.com/tArOKJad4XukGYYv/Deploy/SWCharGen/SWCharGenLauncher.application'.

It points me to a log which shows this:

The following properties have been set:
Property: [AdminUser] = true {boolean}
Property: [installMode] = HomeSite {string}
Property: [NTProductType] = 1 {int}
Property: [ProcessorArchitecture] = Intel {string}
Property: [VersionNT] = 6.0.2 {version}
Running checks for package 'Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Client Profile (x86 and x64)', phase BuildList
Reading value 'Version' of registry key 'HKLM\Software\Microsoft\NET Framework Setup\NDP\v4\Client'
Read string value '4.5.51209'
Setting value '4.5.51209 {string}' for property 'DotNet40Client_TargetVersion'
The following properties have been set for package 'Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Client Profile (x86 and x64)':
Property: [DotNet40Client_TargetVersion] = 4.5.51209 {string}
Running checks for command 'DotNetFX40Client\dotNetFx40_Client_x86_x64.exe'
Result of running operator 'ValueEqualTo' on property 'InstallMode' and value 'HomeSite': true
Result of checks for command 'DotNetFX40Client\dotNetFx40_Client_x86_x64.exe' is 'Bypass'
Running checks for command 'DotNetFX40Client\dotNetFx40_Client_setup.exe'
Result of running operator 'ValueNotEqualTo' on property 'InstallMode' and value 'HomeSite': false
Result of running operator 'VersionGreaterThanOrEqualTo' on property 'DotNet40Client_TargetVersion' and value '4.0.30129': true
Result of checks for command 'DotNetFX40Client\dotNetFx40_Client_setup.exe' is 'Bypass'
'Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Client Profile (x86 and x64)' RunCheck result: No Install Needed
Launching Application.
URLDownloadToCacheFile failed with HRESULT '-2146697208'
Error: An error occurred trying to download 'http://copy.com/tArOKJad4XukGYYv/Deploy/SWCharGen/SWCharGenLauncher.application'.

Well, I just noticed that, once again, Bitly is throwing up its warning page for the new URL.  So, I changed it to a direct download URL for the file.  Bitly is bound and determined not to give me statistics for downloads, it seems.

Anyway, I'm not sure what the issue is, but give it a shot now.  Also, if you've installed it once using the web install, all you should have to do is run the desktop shortcut that it installs with the app and it'll automatically upgrade to the next version.  You shouldn't have to use the links in my signature again unless you need to reinstall it on another machine or something.

Also, if you've installed it once using the web install, all you should have to do is run the desktop shortcut that it installs with the app and it'll automatically upgrade to the next version.  You shouldn't have to use the links in my signature again unless you need to reinstall it on another machine or something.

Ahh, I didn’t know about clicking on the shortcut! Thanks!

And if the box has a red X in it, then you have a very old version of the program.  It should have a red minus sign in it.  The X was confusing people into thinking that a picture didn't load or something.

Thanks dude.  I will download the latest version.

Steve

Weapon Damage sorting appears to be done as an alphabetic string, so 4 is greater than 15:

Screen%20Shot%202015-07-02%20at%2012.03.

Unfortunately, damage isn't always a number.  Melee weapons use "+x", while explosives use something like "x+y".  I'll see about maybe finagling the values so that it makes more sense, though. 

Edit: I added a custom sort routine to the grids.  Now I can display a formatted price (with commas) and still have it sort correctly.  For weapon damage, it'll first sort melee damage (+x) at the top, then sort other damage (x or x+y) below that, based on the proper values.  This will be in the next release.

Edited by OggDude

The image for the VX Sidewinder appears to be the same as the one used for the Z50 Grenade Launcher:

Good catch!  They were both from DC, and I probably had about 50 GIMP windows open when I added the images :)  Must have just saved the wrong one.  It's been fixed for the next release.  Thanks!

Well, I just noticed that, once again, Bitly is throwing up its warning page for the new URL.  So, I changed it to a direct download URL for the file.  Bitly is bound and determined not to give me statistics for downloads, it seems.

Anyway, I'm not sure what the issue is, but give it a shot now.  Also, if you've installed it once using the web install, all you should have to do is run the desktop shortcut that it installs with the app and it'll automatically upgrade to the next version.  You shouldn't have to use the links in my signature again unless you need to reinstall it on another machine or something.

I hadn't tried running it to auto-update, so tried that.  However...

PLATFORM VERSION INFO

Windows             : 6.0.6002.131072 (Win32NT)

Common Language Runtime     : 4.0.30319.34209

System.Deployment.dll         : 4.0.30319.34244 built by: FX452RTMGDR

clr.dll             : 4.0.30319.34209 built by: FX452RTMGDR

dfdll.dll             : 4.0.30319.34244 built by: FX452RTMGDR

dfshim.dll             : 4.0.41209.0 (Main.041209-0000)

SOURCES

Deployment url            : file:///C:/Users/Fallen/Desktop/Star%20Wars%20Character%20Generator%20and%20GM%20Tools.appref-ms%7C

Server        : nginx

ERROR SUMMARY

Below is a summary of the errors, details of these errors are listed later in the log.

* Activation of C:\Users\Fallen\Desktop\Star Wars Character Generator and GM Tools.appref-ms| resulted in exception. Following failure messages were detected:

+ You cannot start application Star Wars Character Generator and GM Tools from this location because it is already installed from a different location.

+ You cannot start application Star Wars Character Generator and GM Tools from location https://copy.com/tArOKJad4XukGYYv/Deploy/SWCharGen/SWCharGenLauncher.applicationit is already installed from location http://copy.com/tArOKJad4XukGYYv/Deploy/SWCharGen/SWCharGenLauncher.application. You can start it from location http://copy.com/tArOKJad4XukGYYv/Deploy/SWCharGen/SWCharGenLauncher.application or you can uninstall it and reinstall it from location https://copy.com/tArOKJad4XukGYYv/Deploy/SWCharGen/SWCharGenLauncher.application. If you reinstall the application, be aware that you might lose any customizations that you made to the application.

COMPONENT STORE TRANSACTION FAILURE SUMMARY

No transaction error was detected.

WARNINGS

* The manifest for this application does not have a signature. Signature validation will be ignored.

OPERATION PROGRESS STATUS

* [7/2/2015 12:52:50 PM] : Activation of C:\Users\Fallen\Desktop\Star Wars Character Generator and GM Tools.appref-ms| has started.

* [7/2/2015 12:52:52 PM] : Performing necessary update check as specified by the deployment.

ERROR DETAILS

Following errors were detected during this operation.

* [7/2/2015 12:52:55 PM] System.Deployment.Application.DeploymentException (DeploymentUriDifferent)

- You cannot start application Star Wars Character Generator and GM Tools from this location because it is already installed from a different location.

- Source: System.Deployment

- Stack trace:

at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.CheckDeploymentProviderValidity(ActivationDescription actDesc, SubscriptionState subState)

at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.PerformDeploymentUpdate(SubscriptionState& subState, String& errorPageUrl)

at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.ProcessOrFollowShortcut(String shortcutFile, String& errorPageUrl, TempFile& deployFile)

at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.PerformDeploymentActivation(Uri activationUri, Boolean isShortcut, String textualSubId, String deploymentProviderUrlFromExtension, BrowserSettings browserSettings, String& errorPageUrl)

at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.ActivateDeploymentWorker(Object state)

--- Inner Exception ---

System.Deployment.Application.DeploymentException (DeploymentUriDifferent)

- You cannot start application Star Wars Character Generator and GM Tools from location https://copy.com/tArOKJad4XukGYYv/Deploy/SWCharGen/SWCharGenLauncher.applicationit is already installed from location http://copy.com/tArOKJad4XukGYYv/Deploy/SWCharGen/SWCharGenLauncher.application. You can start it from location http://copy.com/tArOKJad4XukGYYv/Deploy/SWCharGen/SWCharGenLauncher.application or you can uninstall it and reinstall it from location https://copy.com/tArOKJad4XukGYYv/Deploy/SWCharGen/SWCharGenLauncher.application. If you reinstall the application, be aware that you might lose any customizations that you made to the application.

- Source:

- Stack trace:

COMPONENT STORE TRANSACTION DETAILS

No transaction information is available.

---------------------------------------------

I think I'm going to have to wipe it and reinstall.  So long as I save the data directory it should be good yes?

I just tried the copy.com web installed last night and it worked fine.  The first issue was because there was a problem with the project properties I fixed a version or two back, so the new install wasn't working with previous ones.  But uninstalling and re-installing should fix that.  What's the exact error you guys are getting?

First of all, this is a really handy and awesome program. Nice work.

However, out of curiosity, is there a way to edit and 'overlay' the datafiles for this? Basically, I understand why the packaged datafiles only include references to the book and page for much of the more detailed data. But I'd really like to fill in force powers and other details in my own copies of the data files for the books I have. It just makes my life that little bit easier while at the table if it's all there. But, I don't want those datafiles to be replaced whenever I update.

If there was an option to have a second folder I could copy the existing datafiles into and edit them as needed and the program would load the file from the override location first if it exists and then from the normal folder as a fallback that would work well for this. It means I have to manually maintain any updates and changes to entire datafiles but I'm cool with that.

Yup, didn't see it in the list.  It's been added now.  If you want to add it as a custom Duty, use the key OPPLAN so it'll be compatible with the next release.

Awesome. I wasn't sure if that would persist through updates or was meant mostly for custom items and not overrides. Thanks, I'll give it a try.

Read through the documentation on the Data Editor.  There's basically four states of data:

• Base - What comes with the program.
  • DescOnly - An existing (Base) item that only has its description updated.  The stats come from the Base version, but the description comes from the custom version.
  • CustomItem - An existing (Base) item that has been modified in some way.  This can be name, description, stats, or whatever.  Only the key needs to stay the same.
  • AddedItem - A completely new item added to the Base items.  These items do not exist in the Base data that comes with the applications.  They require a unique key.

Base items all come with the application.  That is, they all exist in the <install>\Data directory in the appropriate folder and XML file.  All other items (DescOnly, CustomItem, or AddedItem) can be found in the <data>\DataCustom directory, or a data set directory within DataCustom.  The <data> directory defaults to a directory off of your Windows login's AppData folder, but it can be changed to anything you want.  It is NOT part of the install, and also contains your characters, encounters, adversaries, and stock vehicles.  When you get a new version of the application, your custom data is NOT touched; the install knows nothing about where your custom data is even located.  Everything will be the way it was after an install, with the exception  of any new data or features that come with the release.

Hi OggDude, First of all, congratulations for the great work, the your program is great.

I been using the program these days to organize my campaign, and help me in my sessions and i have some suggetions.

-I tried to create the sheet of the "Vader" adversary (with too many things i guess..) and when i try to print it as an encounter, the program runs out of memory, if i use de "stat block" the saved result is almost a upward line image (something like 743x6466) , so i guess if you could create new layouts for the stats block (or maybe some editor for layouts), and an option to print only the adversary and nothing else with some layout options.

-Another thing that i notice is that may help users is the option to increase the little boxes with the statistics under the grids because even when you maximize the program they stay the same size, maybe adding some area divisors to let the user decide the size of objects will be a great option.

-Maybe an option to open statistics on another screen (not jamming the main application), that may come in handy when in the middle of a session.

-Some lists does not have search boxes, like the inventory, that will be really usefull.

-The group editor can be easily be transformed in to a powerfull session tool if we are able to see caracter sheets and other informations in it, and with it not locking the main application, so we can see character, adversaries and things like that.

I am a programmer my self (.Net included) so if you needing any help i be glad to give a hand.

Thanks keep up the great work