OggDude

Another Character Generator

Somebody asked for the inclusion of the Athiss Cave Crystal a few pages back (p. 251, FaD beta). I added mine by hand, and all I had to do was edit "ItemAttachments.xml" in the Data folder with the following:

<ItemAttachment>
    <Key>ACCLS</Key>
    <Name>Athiss Cave Crystal</Name>
    <Description>[H3]Athiss Cave Crystal[h3]
Please see page 251 of the Force and Destiny Beta Rulebook for details.
</Description>
    <Source>Force and Destiny Beta Rulebook</Source>
    <Type>Weapon</Type>
    <ItemLimit />
    <SkillLimit />
    <TypeLimit />
    <CategoryLimit>
      <Category>Lightsaber</Category>
    </CategoryLimit>
    <Price>7000</Price>
    <Rarity>8</Rarity>
    <Restricted>true</Restricted>
    <ModPrice>0</ModPrice>
    <HP>2</HP>
    <JuryRigged>false</JuryRigged>
    <BaseMods>
      <Mod>
        <Key>DAMSET</Key>
        <Count>6</Count>
      </Mod>
      <Mod>
        <Key>CRITSET</Key>
        <Count>3</Count>
      </Mod>
      <Mod>
        <Key>BREACH</Key>
        <Count>1</Count>
        <QualReplace>true</QualReplace>
      </Mod>
      <Mod>
        <Key>SUNDER</Key>
      </Mod>
    </BaseMods>
    <AddedMods>
      <Mod>
        <Key>DAMADD</Key>
        <Count>2</Count>
      </Mod>
      <Mod>
        <Key>CRITSUB</Key>
        <Count>1</Count>
      </Mod>
      <Mod>
        <Key>VICIOUS</Key>
        <Count>1</Count>
      </Mod>	  
    </AddedMods>
  </ItemAttachment>

I added it just above the entry for the Barab Ingot. It seems to work, not sure if I did it correctly, but there you go (not sure about the Base and Option values for it or where they come from). Also, I used ACCLS as the key, not sure about that either, but tried to follow a pattern (assuming LS stands for Lightsaber...or liquid sugar? :))

As an aside, it would be nice if hitting the Print button did not check/require spoolsv to be running. I frequently use the preview, but don't print. I think spoolsv check/requirement should only be there once you actually want to print from the print preview. Maybe it is just me, but I always get an error trying to get to the Print Preview screen if I hit the Print button but don't have spoolsv running.

Edited by dfn

Cool!  The XML isn't really that difficult to figure out, once you get the gist of what you're doing.

A couple of things:  

• By changing ItemAttachments.xml in the Data directory, your crystal will not survive a new release.  If you're going to create something by hand, use the copy in the DataCustom directory (click "Data Folder" from the launcher, you'll see it listed).
  • Instead of doing it by hand, you can use the Data Editor to create your own items.  You'll get a nice editor window with all the options, and it'll automatically be put into your DataCustom directory.  You can even create sets of items called "data sets" that you can share with your friends.
  • I'm assuming this is the crystal from the FaD adventure in the back of the book?  If so, it'll be "officially" added in the next release :)

OggDude: Correct assumption! I knew a new release would nuke it so I always make backups of files I change.

And thank you, good to know! I never really explored anything other than the Character Generator, haha

OggDude: Correct assumption! I knew a new release would nuke it so I always make backups of files I change.

And thank you, good to know! I never really explored anything other than the Character Generator, haha

I actually checked the app.  The Athiss Cave Crystal is part of the "Lost Knowledge" import.  Just run the data editor and import the data set that comes with the adventure import and it'll be part of your custom data.  The adventure import also contains all the adversaries from the adventure, as well as four encounters.  Those can be imported from GM Tools.  Just read the READ ME FIRST.txt file in the "Imports/Lost Knowledge" folder that comes with the apps.

Incidentally, the apps come with imports for pretty much all published adventures and supplements, including adversaries from all three CRBs.  It's mostly useful with the GM Tools for including adversaries and encounters, but they also contain items, attachments, and vehicles as well.

OK, I have read, and apparently dont understand the Obligation entry in the FAQ.

It does not let me take +10xp when I select stating obligation is set to 5.

Regardless of what I set the Obligation value to for the character.

So I am probably being incredibly dim, or not understanding the Obligation rules in the book.. which is very possible, as ive only done it once.

Help me OggDude! You're my only hope!

OK, I have read, and apparently dont understand the Obligation entry in the FAQ.

It does not let me take +10xp when I select stating obligation is set to 5.

Regardless of what I set the Obligation value to for the character.

So I am probably being incredibly dim, or not understanding the Obligation rules in the book.. which is very possible, as ive only done it once.

Help me OggDude! You're my only hope!

If you set the starting obligation size to 5, you'll only ever be able to get the +5 XP and +1000 credit options.  That's because the amount of extra obligation you can take advantage of is limited by the starting size.  So, if you have a starting size of 5, you're supposed to take 5 obligation.  If, instead, you take 10 obligation, that's 5 above your starting size, so you get the two lower options available.  If you take 15 obligation, which is 10 over starting size, you'll still only get the lower two because you can only take advantage of 5 of that 10.

If you set starting obligation to 10, and you take 15 obligation, again, you'll get the lower two options.  If you take 20 obligation, you'll get all four options available because you're 10 over your starting size, and your starting size is 10, which means you take take advantage of all 10 extra.  If starting size is 20, you can take advantage of up to 20 extra obligation above the starting size, assuming you take a total of 40 obligation.

In other words, if your starting obligation is x, you can take advantage of x obligation assuming you take 2x in total obligation.

Hey Oggdude,

Nice work on the Character builder. I've been trying to add a pistol grip to the KS-23 Hammer from Enter the Unknown, to create a sawn off for my smuggler, but I don't seem to be able to. I can't do it with the other slughthrowers from EtU either. Am I missing something or is it a mistake?

Hey Oggdude,

Nice work on the Character builder. I've been trying to add a pistol grip to the KS-23 Hammer from Enter the Unknown, to create a sawn off for my smuggler, but I don't seem to be able to. I can't do it with the other slughthrowers from EtU either. Am I missing something or is it a mistake?

It's currently limited to non-heavy rifles, and the Hammer is defined as a carbine.  That's why it's not working.  I'll have to change it a bit.

Hey Guys. Printing is an issue. It keeps adjusting the margins, and then disregarding them. Any thoughts on controlling the margins better?

It should save the last printer settings, although it does default to 1/2 inch margins, if I'm not mistaken.

First off, great work OggDude.

One problem I have, Wrist Mount attachment frees up your hand, but the generator will not let me equip another item in that hand with the Wrist mount equipped.

It doesn't currently keep track of items that free up hands.  I'll have to look into that.

Hi, so I have been noticing a problem with the app.  When I start it up I can't open the character generator, it keeps crashing.  The message I am getting is:

----------------------

Create characters for use with the SW Roleplaying Game System by Fantasy Flight Games.  Any questions ro comments may be sent t has stopped working

A problem caused the program to stop working correctly.  Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available.

----------------------

I have tried to start up the GM tools and data editor but neither will start up either.

Hi, so I have been noticing a problem with the app.  When I start it up I can't open the character generator, it keeps crashing.  The message I am getting is:

----------------------

Create characters for use with the SW Roleplaying Game System by Fantasy Flight Games.  Any questions ro comments may be sent t has stopped working

A problem caused the program to stop working correctly.  Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available.

----------------------

I have tried to start up the GM tools and data editor but neither will start up either.

Have you installed the .NET 4.0 framework?

Hey OggDude,

I have bin using your character generator for some time now and today I wanted to try out the data editor and I have come across a problem.

I wanted to add an attachment that would add 2 to the limited ammo quality of a weapon but all I am able to do is replace the current limited ammo quality with limited ammo 1. Is there a way to do this?

Kind regards,

PS: keep up the good work!

I had to reinstall the program but I noticed it no longer had The Force and Destiny data leaving a few characters with missing equipment. Was that removed recently or are my files just messed up?

I had to reinstall the program but I noticed it no longer had The Force and Destiny data leaving a few characters with missing equipment. Was that removed recently or are my files just messed up?

Sounds like something's messed up.  It should have all currently published data, including the FaD beta.

Yes the launcher is working.  I have been using the Copy.com web install as well for a reinstall to see if that would solve the problem but the problem persists with the reinstall.

Yes the launcher is working.  I have been using the Copy.com web install as well for a reinstall to see if that would solve the problem but the problem persists with the reinstall.

Then your issue is with the SQL Server CE installation.  There's a conflict somewhere.  Check to see if you have it installed, and uninstall it if you do.  Alternatively, you can try removing the System.Data.SqlServerCe.dll file from the application directory and see if it works.

FYI, when I tried to download the character generator on my new machine this morning, I got the following error:

Error (429)

This account's public links are generating too much traffic and have been temporarily disabled!