OggDude

Another Character Generator

I am really liking this character generator, I noticed something or lack of something, the ability to add custom items. I don't mean like permanent custom items just something temporary with out having to look through the list of current items too see the one that is the most similar in cost and encumbrance then add it and rename the item. It would be a great feature, because I often give my characters specific items (for example a code cylinder, a specific key card, and an artifact) that are not found in the books and I don't really want to add them to permanent items to clutter up the list of items already there. Just wondering if you might add something like this?

This can be done with the generic items.  You can buy them for however much you're spending (just pick the box that lets you type in a number).  Pick the one that has the encumbrance you want (I think there are ones for 0-5 encumbrance) and then rename it once it's in your inventory.

It sounds more complicated than it is....

I am really liking this character generator, I noticed something or lack of something, the ability to add custom items. I don't mean like permanent custom items just something temporary with out having to look through the list of current items too see the one that is the most similar in cost and encumbrance then add it and rename the item. It would be a great feature, because I often give my characters specific items (for example a code cylinder, a specific key card, and an artifact) that are not found in the books and I don't really want to add them to permanent items to clutter up the list of items already there. Just wondering if you might add something like this?

This can be done with the generic items.  You can buy them for however much you're spending (just pick the box that lets you type in a number).  Pick the one that has the encumbrance you want (I think there are ones for 0-5 encumbrance) and then rename it once it's in your inventory.

It sounds more complicated than it is....

What he said :)  And it's very cool that people are taking advantage of some of the lesser-known features of the generator!

If you want to see a list of generic items, just choose "Gear", then find "Generic" in the "Type" drop-down.

Hey Oggdude, I just want to thank you for the time you put in to this generator, my party and I greatly appreciate the ease of character creation, stat tracking, and detail tracking you've provided.

That said, I was wondering if there was a way to add hard points via Intuitive Improvements in the Artisan Specialization skill tree? I've looked over the attachments setup and haven't seen anything, and wanted to know in the event that my party's artisan happens to make it that far down the tree.

Hey Oggdude, I just want to thank you for the time you put in to this generator, my party and I greatly appreciate the ease of character creation, stat tracking, and detail tracking you've provided.

That said, I was wondering if there was a way to add hard points via Intuitive Improvements in the Artisan Specialization skill tree? I've looked over the attachments setup and haven't seen anything, and wanted to know in the event that my party's artisan happens to make it that far down the tree.

That one slipped by me.  I'll take a look at it.

See you did it again. blew right past a suggestion with out addressing it....

You mean the suggestion thread?  I suppose I could start another thread.  The big problem, really, is that I have a job now :) so I can't spend the same amount of time on the generator that I used to.  I have a few fixes done, but I've been waiting for an improvement to do a new release.  If you could PM me your suggestions that I've missed (not on purpose), I'll go over them.  Maybe there'll be enough there to get the next release out :)

Love your character generator! So useful:D

Could you please add custom as a sub-species for droids?

Yeah, that sounds like a good idea.  Next release :)

I just checked and there already is a "Other Model" subspecies for droids.

See you did it again. blew right past a suggestion with out addressing it....

You mean the suggestion thread?  I suppose I could start another thread.  The big problem, really, is that I have a job now :) so I can't spend the same amount of time on the generator that I used to.  I have a few fixes done, but I've been waiting for an improvement to do a new release.  If you could PM me your suggestions that I've missed (not on purpose), I'll go over them.  Maybe there'll be enough there to get the next release out :)

I understand. but it would be good to put them in a place that you can find them so when you tinker you can find them. As it is now I suspect it would be rather daunting to find the suggestions.

Love your character generator! So useful:D

Could you please add custom as a sub-species for droids?

Yeah, that sounds like a good idea.  Next release :)

I just checked and there already is a "Other Model" subspecies for droids.

Ah! Of course, there it is :D Haha. Thank you! Me and my players are so grateful for your character generator. It`s awesome!

Hey OggDude, I have a feature request. Would it be possible to add a Weapon/Armor category to the GM tools similar to what you have now for ships? I like to have a bunch modified weapons/armor put together for my players but there's no way to create them outside of doing it in the inventory of a NPC or adding it through the database tools. It works but it's a little clunky and it's difficult to see the details of modified weapons currently.

A friend of mine ran into a possible glitch with his character.

Seems like the CharGen doesn't calculate Encumbrance correctly if the character has multiple Burly talents and a really heavy gun.

How to recreate the situation:

First create a character with Brawn of 4 and add 3 Burly talents from Hired Gun / Heavy Talent Tree. Then add a Heavy Repeating Blaster and equip it.

Now the character sheet says the Weapon has Encumbrance 6 and Cumbersome 2. These are correct.

(3 ranks of Burly reduces the weapon's Encumbrance from 9 to 6 and Cumbersome from 5 to 2.)

The character sheet says Encumbrance Value is 6, Encumbrance Threshold is 9 and 'You are unencumbered.'

These are correct, too.

But why is the Total Carried Encumbrance 9?

Also, on the front page of the character sheet, just under the skills there’s a note that says ‘Cumbersome Penalty: Due to Cumbersome items, all skill checks will have their difficulty increased by 1.’

There should be no problems because the weapon has Cumbersome 2 and the character has Brawn 4.

So, is this a glitch or am I seriously missing something?

A friend of mine ran into a possible glitch with his character.

Seems like the CharGen doesn't calculate Encumbrance correctly if the character has multiple Burly talents and a really heavy gun.

How to recreate the situation:

First create a character with Brawn of 4 and add 3 Burly talents from Hired Gun / Heavy Talent Tree. Then add a Heavy Repeating Blaster and equip it.

Now the character sheet says the Weapon has Encumbrance 6 and Cumbersome 2. These are correct.

(3 ranks of Burly reduces the weapon's Encumbrance from 9 to 6 and Cumbersome from 5 to 2.)

The character sheet says Encumbrance Value is 6, Encumbrance Threshold is 9 and 'You are unencumbered.'

These are correct, too.

But why is the Total Carried Encumbrance 9?

Also, on the front page of the character sheet, just under the skills there’s a note that says ‘Cumbersome Penalty: Due to Cumbersome items, all skill checks will have their difficulty increased by 1.’

There should be no problems because the weapon has Cumbersome 2 and the character has Brawn 4.

So, is this a glitch or am I seriously missing something?

No, it's a bug.  It'll be fixed in the next release:

• Talents that change encumbrance on items were not being taken into account on the encumbrance summary line of equipment lists in the equipment page of the character sheet.  This has been fixed.
  • On the first page of the character sheet, when checking for cumbersome or unwieldy values, character talents were not being taken into consideration when calculating the values.  They will now be used.

Thanks for the quick response! And I’m sorry if the problem has been reported earlier, I tried to search the forums for this bug report but going through over 200 pages were too much.

And I have a feature request: Would it be possible to print a list of different kinds of gear and items?

For an example, you could print a list of starships, armor, weapons etc. The list could be in a basic table format like on the Edge of the Empire Core Rulebook's Ranged Weapons table on page 160. Oh, and the source book and page need to be listed, too.

I'm also running into a couple issues.

Firstly, I tried to transcribe one of my players characters into the program as a test, but under his mechanics skill, its showing a Black box with a red line in the middle int he dice pool graphic... I dont know if this is meant to represent a Setback die. It shouldnt, as I can see no reason why he would suffer one?

And secondly, trying to create a new character, no matter what I do, it wont let me select the extra obligation +10XP option, regardless of what values I put in the boxes, it (and +2500 credit) options remain unselectable.

I dont know what im doing wrong?

Firstly, I tried to transcribe one of my players characters into the program as a test, but under his mechanics skill, its showing a Black box with a red line in the middle int he dice pool graphic... I dont know if this is meant to represent a Setback die. It shouldnt, as I can see no reason why he would suffer one?

This is a representation that he would remove a setback dice, hence the minus sign.

And secondly, trying to create a new character, no matter what I do, it wont let me select the extra obligation +10XP option, regardless of what values I put in the boxes, it (and +2500 credit) options remain unselectable.

You need to set the XP Limit for the group first, whether that be 5 or 10. This is normally based on the size of the group. A character's Obligation can, at the start, never be more than double the starting Obligation.

Go to the Obligation/Duty tab. There will be a little drop down in the Obligation Options box which says Starting Size. Drop that down to 5, 10, 15 or 20, depending on the size of your group. If you had a starting Obligation of 10, the Extra XP for +10 will not highlight until you have 20 or more Obligations selected.

OK, it only allows me to select the +10xp box if i set it to have 2 obligations of 10, wtih a group Obligation of 10 so far... or im being stupid

Or I dont understand the wording in the book about additional obligation.

Edited by RebelDave

OK, it only allows me to select the +10xp box if i set it to have 2 obligations of 10, wtih a group Obligation of 10 so far... or im being stupid

Or I dont understand the wording in the book about additional obligation.

you can only double the starting obligation. So if your starting obligation is 10 you can only increase it to +10 obligation. 

I have a long explanation of how obligation and duty work in the FAQ. A lot of people get confused with how it works. As the generator does follow the CRB, it makes me think that most people probably don't do it correctly when they make a character by hand. :)