OggDude

Another Character Generator

I have a question for those using the (excellent) character generator - how do you manage old versions of characters?  Do you simply overwrite the previous one by importing, or do you have a system of dating the filenames or otherwise telling that this is character X at generation, after 5 sessions, after 10 sessionsm etc...?

I'm trying to figure out if I'm the only GM who would like to track the progression of characters in the campaign or if Versioning is something that we could ask OggDude to discuss the feasibility of...

Oggdude! Two more things I've noticed.

1) One of my players has two Rykk blades equipped (each defensive 1) and it stacks on the front page of the character sheet for Melee Defense 2. I was under the impression that sort of thing didn't stack, you picked the highest from all available sources. Did I miss something?

2) I could have sworn the beta adventure lightsaber crystal used to be an option, but I can't find it when modding a lightsaber! I took a generic hilt and modded it, and can see all the normal options but not the beta crystal.

3) Just a reminder that Defensive Training still doesn't seem to change anything.

As always, thank you so much for this program - it is the greatest thing since WiFi at my table.

Edit:

4) If you have a lightsaber with a training emitter and then add extended hilt, everything displays properly. However, if you later on remove the training emitter and add an actual crystal, it displays the damage as the base value of the crystal without taking into account the extended hilt's +1; the program displays the damage value correctly only if the extended hilt is added after the crystal.

5) It would be very helpful if under the attachment window, when selecting mods, if there were a way to denote which mods you've failed to install somewhere on the character sheet. I'm thinking specifically for lightsabers with massive amounts of mods that can be attempted over a long period of time being able to keep track would be nice rather than just assuming everything as attempted at once or adding another sheet of paper to your character sheet.

Edited by What

I have a question for those using the (excellent) character generator - how do you manage old versions of characters?  Do you simply overwrite the previous one by importing, or do you have a system of dating the filenames or otherwise telling that this is character X at generation, after 5 sessions, after 10 sessionsm etc...?

I'm trying to figure out if I'm the only GM who would like to track the progression of characters in the campaign or if Versioning is something that we could ask OggDude to discuss the feasibility of...

I simply overwrite the files with the updated info.  I also try to keep a log of how much XP that character has earned as well as a separate PDF copy (not saved in the chargen) of the character's stats when that particular campaign started.

I simply overwrite the files with the updated info.  I also try to keep a log of how much XP that character has earned as well as a separate PDF copy (not saved in the chargen) of the character's stats when that particular campaign started.

My “log” is just keeping older copies of the character sheet. And when I print mine, I almost always print out a copy for my GM, so that he can see what I’ve got.

So that would be an “off-site backup”. ;)

You could always save the character with 1.0 2.0 or something appended to the name I just overwrite mine, I pretty much give the same exp to all players and any important NPCs so it's easy for me to see how much they have gained.

Is anyone else having problems with installing from latest web links?

When I go to the bitly URL for the image on copy.com, I get this warning message:

Screen%20Shot%202015-05-23%20at%206.16.1

But when I proceed and click the link anyway, I then wind up with this error message:

Screen%20Shot%202015-05-23%20at%206.20.4

Am I the only one seeing these problems?

EDIT: I looked at the “details” offered, and the error summary it gave me was:

ERROR SUMMARY

Below is a summary of the errors, details of these errors are listed later in the log.

* Activation of http://copy.com/tArOKJad4XukGYYv/Deploy/SWCharGen/SWCharGenLauncher.application resulted in exception. Following failure messages were detected:

+ You cannot start application Star Wars Character Generator and GM Tools from this location because it is already installed from a different location.

+ You cannot start application Star Wars Character Generator and GM Tools from location https://copy.com/tArOKJad4XukGYYv/Deploy/SWCharGen/SWCharGenLauncher.application it is already installed from location http://copy.com/tArOKJad4XukGYYv/Deploy/SWCharGen/SWCharGenLauncher.application. You can start it from location http://copy.com/tArOKJad4XukGYYv/Deploy/SWCharGen/SWCharGenLauncher.application or you can uninstall it and reinstall it from location https://copy.com/tArOKJad4XukGYYv/Deploy/SWCharGen/SWCharGenLauncher.application. If you reinstall the application, be aware that you might lose any customizations that you made to the application.

And yes, I did try the DropBox version as well, and that gave me the same error message about the application already being installed from a different location.

The first screen is because DropBox thinks anything named "Setup.exe" is a virus.  The second problem is because, somehow, my project had one of it's settings get lost, and I had to make a change, so it thinks the certificate changed.  Just do an uninstall, then re-install it from Copy.com and it should be OK.

Oggdude

Thanks for the great character generator, I really appreciate it I sent you some love via Paypal.

Couple questions.

1) I took Ataru Technique which allows me to use agility with my LS instead of Brawn, but it doesn't seem like it changes to using agility on the character sheet, am I missing something?

Update: I found the answer for #1, don't know why I didn't see it sooner.

2) Malwayrebytes is blocking dfsvc,exe everytime I load the portal apparently preventing the updater from checking for new updates on copy.com  should I just add it to my exclusions?

It's part of the .NET framework (just do a search on the file name to see what it does).  If it's being blocked, just unblock it.

What I do is make a copy of the original character, then work on the copy.  When I get it the way I want it, I delete the original and rename the new one.  If I mess up, I just delete the new one and start again.  They're sorted by character name, and making a copy will rename the new character "Copy of xxx".

Oggdude! Two more things I've noticed.

1) One of my players has two Rykk blades equipped (each defensive 1) and it stacks on the front page of the character sheet for Melee Defense 2. I was under the impression that sort of thing didn't stack, you picked the highest from all available sources. Did I miss something?

2) I could have sworn the beta adventure lightsaber crystal used to be an option, but I can't find it when modding a lightsaber! I took a generic hilt and modded it, and can see all the normal options but not the beta crystal.

3) Just a reminder that Defensive Training still doesn't seem to change anything.

As always, thank you so much for this program - it is the greatest thing since WiFi at my table.

Edit:

4) If you have a lightsaber with a training emitter and then add extended hilt, everything displays properly. However, if you later on remove the training emitter and add an actual crystal, it displays the damage as the base value of the crystal without taking into account the extended hilt's +1; the program displays the damage value correctly only if the extended hilt is added after the crystal.

5) It would be very helpful if under the attachment window, when selecting mods, if there were a way to denote which mods you've failed to install somewhere on the character sheet. I'm thinking specifically for lightsabers with massive amounts of mods that can be attempted over a long period of time being able to keep track would be nice rather than just assuming everything as attempted at once or adding another sheet of paper to your character sheet.

1.  The description for Defensive says "A character wielding a weapon with the Defensive quality increases his melee defense by the weapon's Defensive rating."  So it's Melee Defense +1, not Melee Defense 1.  However, if you're using two-weapon combat, the second one only really comes into play if the second weapon is activated.

2.  Not sure what you mean by the beta crystal :)  The FaD beta has a bunch of different crystals.  All of them should be in the character generator.

3.  I think I need to work on Defensive Training.

4.  I'll check that one out as well.

5.  Yeah, I don't have a checkbox or anything for failed mod attempts.  I'll think about the best way of adding something like that.

Heya! Is there any documented reference or complete example of a character's import/export XML somewhere? Several people have suggested that as a feature for SWSheets.com. I'd generate one myself but I don't have access to a Windows machine.

Thanks!

SP

Regarding Defensive Training, it may not be intended to always come into play.

The talent requires a weapon of some kind in order to get the bonus to Melee Defense, and could well be that "bare fists" don't qualify in that respect.

Plus there's the fact that it doesn't stack with the Defensive quality at all, which I guess would require additional programming on OggDude's part so that the program knows to only apply the higher of the two.

2.  Not sure what you mean by the beta crystal :)  The FaD beta has a bunch of different crystals.  All of them should be in the character generator.

Thanks for the prompt reply!

I meant the crystal as part of the adventure reward, the Athiss Cave Crystal on page 251 of the F&D Beta.

Regarding Defensive Training, it may not be intended to always come into play.

The talent requires a weapon of some kind in order to get the bonus to Melee Defense, and could well be that "bare fists" don't qualify in that respect.

Plus there's the fact that it doesn't stack with the Defensive quality at all, which I guess would require additional programming on OggDude's part so that the program knows to only apply the higher of the two.

If the Defensive Quality is +1 and not just 1, allowing it to stack with itself, it should stack with Defensive training too! (I just checked my GM screen... it DOES say "increase defense" rather than provide a flat value. Whoops!)

You're right though in that it wouldn't appear to stack with armor.

Defensive Training, Page 99 F&D Beta: "When wielding a lightsaber, melee weapon, or brawl weapon, that weapon gains the defensive quality equal to ranks in Defensive Training" (Paraphrase.)

It should stack with everything!

OggDude, I was thinking you could treat the talent like you do for JuryRig - taking the talent opens up the option to add a 0 hard point mod to your weapon, "Defensive +1"

The full text of Defensive Training on page 99 specifically states that it replaces any ranks in Defensive the weapon already has.  So no, Defensive Training and the Defensive quality don't stack.  Which is what I was referring to, not the defense bonus granted by armor.

The second problem is because, somehow, my project had one of it's settings get lost, and I had to make a change, so it thinks the certificate changed.  Just do an uninstall, then re-install it from Copy.com and it should be OK.

Okay, I’ll give that a shot.

Thanks!

The second problem is because, somehow, my project had one of it's settings get lost, and I had to make a change, so it thinks the certificate changed.  Just do an uninstall, then re-install it from Copy.com and it should be OK.

Okay, I tried that. I uninstalled the application, but then I got the error message “Cannot Start Application” when I tried to re-install:

Screen%20Shot%202015-05-26%20at%2011.58.

Pulling up the details of the error, I get:

ERROR SUMMARY

Below is a summary of the errors, details of these errors are listed later in the log.

* Activation of http://copy.com/tArOKJad4XukGYYv/Deploy/SWCharGen/SWCharGenLauncher.application resulted in exception. Following failure messages were detected:

+ A device attached to the system is not functioning. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x8007001F

Any ideas?

Okay, I tried that. I uninstalled the application, but then I got the error message “Cannot Start Application” when I tried to re-install:

Screen%20Shot%202015-05-26%20at%2011.58.

Pulling up the details of the error, I get:

ERROR SUMMARY

+ A device attached to the system is not functioning. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x8007001F

Any ideas?

This is one of those weird errors that has nothing to do with what it says :)  It can be any number of things, but probably has something to do with files that remain after the uninstall.  What you can try is to go to the C:\Users\yourlogin\AppData\Local\Apps directory.  If you search through the various levels, you'll see something for the chargen (most likely, a directory starting with "swch").  These can be deleted, since more than likely, all they're holding after an uninstall is an old user configuration file.  

Alternatively, you can try removing the "read only" flag on all child folders within "Apps" and see if that has any effect.  Just right-click on Apps, select "Properties", uncheck the "Read Only" box, and click "Apply".

This is one of those weird errors that has nothing to do with what it says :)  It can be any number of things, but probably has something to do with files that remain after the uninstall.  What you can try is to go to the C:\Users\yourlogin\AppData\Local\Apps directory.  If you search through the various levels, you'll see something for the chargen (most likely, a directory starting with "swch").  These can be deleted, since more than likely, all they're holding after an uninstall is an old user configuration file.

Okay, I’ll try deleting those and trying again.

BTW, have you thought about using something like BitTorrent as one option to host the binaries? Even though this is just a 117MB file, it seems to take bloody forever to download the **** thing, only to have it fail and I have to do some cleanup, and then I try again — and re-download that 117MB file all over again.

You might not be able to prevent the multiple re-downloads in cases of weird errors like this, but hosting via BitTorrent sure would be a lot faster….

Just an idea.

I tried all the different methods I can think of to wipe out the old installs, to no avail.

Is there anything else I can do short of throwing the machine away and doing a wipe and re-install of the whole ******* thing?

Keep in mind that this is Windows 8, and so a lot of **** is hidden, and what isn’t hidden probably doesn’t work the same way it would under Windows 7 and earlier.

Please, God. There’s got to be an easier way.

I tried all the different methods I can think of to wipe out the old installs, to no avail.

Is there anything else I can do short of throwing the machine away and doing a wipe and re-install of the whole ******* thing?

Keep in mind that this is Windows 8, and so a lot of **** is hidden, and what isn’t hidden probably doesn’t work the same way it would under Windows 7 and earlier.

Please, God. There’s got to be an easier way.

Did you try turning off the read-only flag?  Make sure it does it to all child directories and files.  If all else fails, just delete the "2.0" directory inside "Apps" and everything in it.

The only other thing I can think of is to log in as another user to do the re-install.

Did you try turning off the read-only flag?  Make sure it does it to all child directories and files.

Yup. Didn’t fix the problem.

If all else fails, just delete the "2.0" directory inside "Apps" and everything in it.

Did that, too. Nada.

The only other thing I can think of is to log in as another user to do the re-install.

At this point, I think I’m going to burn the whole VM and decide whether I want to start over from scratch, or just spend time trying to help Sparker get his website working better.

I’ve got the printed out character sheets and I can re-enter that data into form-fillable sheets.

Did you try turning off the read-only flag?  Make sure it does it to all child directories and files.

Yup. Didn’t fix the problem.

If all else fails, just delete the "2.0" directory inside "Apps" and everything in it.

Did that, too. Nada.

At this point, I think I’m going to burn the whole VM and decide whether I want to start over from scratch, or just spend time trying to help Sparker get his website working better.

I’ve got the printed out character sheets and I can re-enter that data into form-fillable sheets.

Just ZIP up your data directory, redo the VM, re-install the apps, and unZIP the data directory back.  Everything will work the same :)

You know... i have posted several suggestions for improvements in the last couple months.. They have not been addressed. I think because there is too much clutter in this thread now. Perhaps a suggestion thread and a bug report thread...

I am really liking this character generator, I noticed something or lack of something, the ability to add custom items. I don't mean like permanent custom items just something temporary with out having to look through the list of current items too see the one that is the most similar in cost and encumbrance then add it and rename the item. It would be a great feature, because I often give my characters specific items (for example a code cylinder, a specific key card, and an artifact) that are not found in the books and I don't really want to add them to permanent items to clutter up the list of items already there. Just wondering if you might add something like this?