OggDude

Another Character Generator

Im running into a issue where if I enter in a talent description with special characters such as boost dice and force points. they end up not saving as intended most the time and i get odd characters.

A similar issue was fixed in the last release.  What version are you using?

Big fan of this tool, but I really wish the GM tools wouldn't crash so much while I was inputting special ability descriptions. Is this a known bug? Are there any fixes or workaround for it?

Also, as far as the GM tools go, the ability to search for/filter out talents by specialization or something like you can in the PC builder would be great.

I haven't had a crash in the GM Tools.  Are you doing something specific when this happens?

While i'm entering text in the field for the special ability descriptions, a lot of the time the program will suddenly hang, refuse to accept any input aside from the text box, and be unclosable except by killing the process. The statblock preview at the bottom will also mess up slightly, mostly with the dice images.

It seems to happen most often when deleting text, especially near the beginning of the box.

I am seeing something in version 1.4.5.0... not sure whether it's a bug or a misunderstanding on my part how something works. No matter how much obligation I add to a character, the +10 options are not becoming enabled.

You can't have more than double your starting Obligation. So if you're in a large party and have a base Obligation of 5, you can't go all the way to 15 and get the +10 options. That might be the problem you're having.

I've running my first EotE campaign with some friends, and your character generator has been a fantastic resource. I've barely scratched the surface of what it can do, and I frequently think "It would be really handy to have [Feature X]," only to discover that your software already does it! Kudos and thanks.

I did want to report two bugs. I couldn't find a bug listing anywhere, so my apologies if these are old news.

Version 1.4.5.3.

1. The Encounter Tracker is listing the wrong wound threshold for minion groups - specifically, one extra wound is listed. For instance, a group of 3 minions, each with 4 wound threshold, should have a total of 12 wounds. Every 4th wound should be a circle (to indicate a minion death) and the rest should be circles. But the Encounter Tracker currently lists a total of 13 wounds, with the 5th, 9th, and 13th wounds being a circle. TL;DR: There is one extra (circle) wound listed on the first minion in the group.

2. The documentation says The initiative tracker will include slots for each encounter group, plus whatever you select under “PC Slots”. However, the initiative tracker is only including a number of slots equal to the number I select for PC slots. For instance, if I set PC Slots: to 4, and include 3 adversaries in the Encounter, I'd expect to see a total of 7 slots, but only 4 are generated.

When upgrading weapons on a ship (e.g. Gonzati) one can have additional proton torpedo launchers (e.g. Going 1 to 2 and linking them) with no additional cost to Hard Points. Is that intended?

When upgrading weapons on a ship (e.g. Gonzati) one can have additional proton torpedo launchers (e.g. Going 1 to 2 and linking them) with no additional cost to Hard Points. Is that intended?

Per RAW what I read allows that to happen...

I thought adding/linking multiple weapons costs a hard point? For when I add additional H. Laser Cannons (going from 2-3) within the tool, it costs a hard point. 

Full disclosure, the whole hard point for additional weapon systems and weapons has always seemed to me liked vudo science. Whenever I read it, I feel there is an added layer of complexity just to confuse simple minded people like me. 

Edited by Arrakus

I thought adding/linking multiple weapons costs a hard point? For when I add additional H. Laser Cannons (going from 2-3) within the tool, it costs a hard point. 

Full disclosure, the whole hard point for additional weapon systems and weapons has always seemed to me liked vudo science. Whenever I read it, I feel there is an added layer of complexity just to confuse simple minded people like me. 

Yes but upgrading near as I can tell does not...

I am seeing something in version 1.4.5.0... not sure whether it's a bug or a misunderstanding on my part how something works. No matter how much obligation I add to a character, the +10 options are not becoming enabled.

You can't have more than double your starting Obligation. So if you're in a large party and have a base Obligation of 5, you can't go all the way to 15 and get the +10 options. That might be the problem you're having.

A lot of the time when people are having trouble with obligation in the generator, they think starting obligation is how much their character specifically starts with, and not the amount from the table in the book based on party size. Edited by rowdyoctopus

Hey OggDude. Great generator! Really takes the stress out of managing characters.

Just wanted to add that I found the Underslung Scattergun is an avaliable attachment for my Wookiee's vibro-ax. Confirmed it in page 51 of Fly Casual that this upgrade only applies to pistols and rifle-sized weapons - unless some people reckon 'rifle-sized' is vague enough to be applied to melee weapons? Not sure, but figured it's worth mentioning. The vibro-ax is modded with Serrated Edge and I'm running 1.4.5.0.

Thank you again for a swell utility!

Hey OggDude. Great generator! Really takes the stress out of managing characters.

Just wanted to add that I found the Underslung Scattergun is an avaliable attachment for my Wookiee's vibro-ax. Confirmed it in page 51 of Fly Casual that this upgrade only applies to pistols and rifle-sized weapons - unless some people reckon 'rifle-sized' is vague enough to be applied to melee weapons? Not sure, but figured it's worth mentioning. The vibro-ax is modded with Serrated Edge and I'm running 1.4.5.0.

I hit Like because: 1) I agree with the sentiment wholeheartedly, and 2) you used the word "swell."

I've running my first EotE campaign with some friends, and your character generator has been a fantastic resource. I've barely scratched the surface of what it can do, and I frequently think "It would be really handy to have [Feature X]," only to discover that your software already does it! Kudos and thanks.

I did want to report two bugs. I couldn't find a bug listing anywhere, so my apologies if these are old news.

Version 1.4.5.3.

1. The Encounter Tracker is listing the wrong wound threshold for minion groups - specifically, one extra wound is listed. For instance, a group of 3 minions, each with 4 wound threshold, should have a total of 12 wounds. Every 4th wound should be a circle (to indicate a minion death) and the rest should be circles. But the Encounter Tracker currently lists a total of 13 wounds, with the 5th, 9th, and 13th wounds being a circle. TL;DR: There is one extra (circle) wound listed on the first minion in the group.

2. The documentation says The initiative tracker will include slots for each encounter group, plus whatever you select under “PC Slots”. However, the initiative tracker is only including a number of slots equal to the number I select for PC slots. For instance, if I set PC Slots: to 4, and include 3 adversaries in the Encounter, I'd expect to see a total of 7 slots, but only 4 are generated.

The "extra" wound is there because minions are removed every time damage exceeds their wound threshold, not equals it.  So, if a minion has 4 wounds, the first one is removed at 5 damage, the second one at 9, etc.

The initiative tracker will make sure it has enough slots for all PCs, plus all adversary groups.  All adversaries in a particular group act on the same slot.  If you want to give them separate slots, add them as individual groups of one adversary each.

Edit:  Two thumbs-up for reading the documentation :)  I don't think most people even realize it exists.  I'll check the wording for the tracker and fix it if it's unclear.

Edited by OggDude

I checked and I didn't put limitations on the scattergun.  What I'll probably do is limit to the Pistol and Rifle categories.  Good catch!

Hello

I am missing the force abilities from the FaD beta, is that in a separate download, or will they be added when FaD is Full Release?

All FaD beta information is included with the latest release, including errata.  Click Options at the top of the character generator and make sure the beta source is selected.

Version 1.4.5.3.

The "extra" wound is there because minions are removed every time damage exceeds their wound threshold, not equals it.  So, if a minion has 4 wounds, the first one is removed at 5 damage, the second one at 9, etc.

The initiative tracker will make sure it has enough slots for all PCs, plus all adversary groups.  All adversaries in a particular group act on the same slot.  If you want to give them separate slots, add them as individual groups of one adversary each.

Edit:  Two thumbs-up for reading the documentation :)  I don't think most people even realize it exists.  I'll check the wording for the tracker and fix it if it's unclear.

Thanks for your thoughtful response. I realized my mistake on point #2 immediately after posting, but apparently, since it was my first post, I had to wait for it to be approved by the mods, so I couldn't get at it to edit it. I've been waiting for the post to show up, and then you beat me to it :( My confusion actually didn't stem from adversary groups - I just didn't see that there was a second column of initiative slots! All is well.

Regarding point #1, wound thresholds for minion groups, I agree that the character generator's results to seem to agree with the wording of the text, that "Individual members of the group are defeated one at a time, each time the total wounds sufffered exceeds that group member's share of the wound threshold." I had assumed that this was a typo or careless wording. Does it make sense that three five-wound adversaries acting individually have a total threshold of 15 wounds, but if they act together, that group has a threshold of 16 wounds? Maybe you're wanting to the software to adhere to the letter of the law, without second-guessing FFG's intentions, and I can respect that. And I suppose it can be explained narratively, by imagining that those minions draw a tiny bit of extra strength from seeing their companions fighting around them :P

Hey OggDude,

First off, I want to thank you for all of the effort you've put into this character generator. It's been a lifesaver for me!

I've been having a problem with a crash I was hoping you could help me sort out? The problem is that the launcher works perfectly fine, but whenever I try opening the character generator, gm tools, or data editor it crashes. I should mention the launcher itself is fine, but the programs that are opened simply crash.

I've checked and .NET is fully updated, and there isn't a cache so i don't think it could be a data problem. I've tried running it as system administrator, and i've re-installed it a couple times with no success.

Do you think you could help?

Version 1.4.5.3.

Thanks for your thoughtful response. I realized my mistake on point #2 immediately after posting, but apparently, since it was my first post, I had to wait for it to be approved by the mods, so I couldn't get at it to edit it. I've been waiting for the post to show up, and then you beat me to it :( My confusion actually didn't stem from adversary groups - I just didn't see that there was a second column of initiative slots! All is well.

Regarding point #1, wound thresholds for minion groups, I agree that the character generator's results to seem to agree with the wording of the text, that "Individual members of the group are defeated one at a time, each time the total wounds sufffered exceeds that group member's share of the wound threshold." I had assumed that this was a typo or careless wording. Does it make sense that three five-wound adversaries acting individually have a total threshold of 15 wounds, but if they act together, that group has a threshold of 16 wounds? Maybe you're wanting to the software to adhere to the letter of the law, without second-guessing FFG's intentions, and I can respect that. And I suppose it can be explained narratively, by imagining that those minions draw a tiny bit of extra strength from seeing their companions fighting around them :P

It's the same for PC's as well.  You aren't taken out until your wounds exceeds your wound threshold.  So, if you have a wound threshold of 15, you're still alive and kicking until you take at least 16 wounds.  Since a minion group is, for all intents and purposes, run as a single combatant, a group of three minions, each with a wound threshold of 5, will have a total threshold of 15.   This means they'll all be taken out when they receive 16 wounds or more, while each individual minion will be removed at 6, 11, and 16 wounds, respectively.

I actually had it the way you think it should be for over a year :)  But the way it is now is correct.

Hey OggDude,

First off, I want to thank you for all of the effort you've put into this character generator. It's been a lifesaver for me!

I've been having a problem with a crash I was hoping you could help me sort out? The problem is that the launcher works perfectly fine, but whenever I try opening the character generator, gm tools, or data editor it crashes. I should mention the launcher itself is fine, but the programs that are opened simply crash.

I've checked and .NET is fully updated, and there isn't a cache so i don't think it could be a data problem. I've tried running it as system administrator, and i've re-installed it a couple times with no success.

Have you by any chance installed SQL Server CE from Microsoft?  The apps come with the 3.5 version.  If you've installed, say, 4.0, there may be a conflict and .NET might be trying to use 4.0 instead of 3.5.

It's the same for PC's as well.  You aren't taken out until your wounds exceeds your wound threshold.  So, if you have a wound threshold of 15, you're still alive and kicking until you take at least 16 wounds.  Since a minion group is, for all intents and purposes, run as a single combatant, a group of three minions, each with a wound threshold of 5, will have a total threshold of 15.   This means they'll all be taken out when they receive 16 wounds or more, while each individual minion will be removed at 6, 11, and 16 wounds, respectively.

I actually had it the way you think it should be for over a year :)  But the way it is now is correct.

Oh, weird. I hadn't read the basic rules for wound threshold carefully enough.

So, I thought this system gave minion groups +1 durability. But what it actually does is remove (N-1) durability, compared to N individual minions. You have to inflict 18 or more total wounds to kill three five-wound minions, but only 16 to kill a group of them.

Wow. That's so strange. Well, you're totally right - that's what the rules say! Now you've done me the double service of creating a convenient character generator, and teaching me the rules in the process. Double thanks.

Oh, weird. I hadn't read the basic rules for wound threshold carefully enough.

So, I thought this system gave minion groups +1 durability. But what it actually does is remove (N-1) durability, compared to N individual minions. You have to inflict 18 or more total wounds to kill three five-wound minions, but only 16 to kill a group of them.

Wow. That's so strange. Well, you're totally right - that's what the rules say! Now you've done me the double service of creating a convenient character generator, and teaching me the rules in the process. Double thanks.

We aims to please :)

There's pluses and minuses for running groups of minions, as opposed to running them as groups of rivals (which you can do if you want).  For the GM, the plus is that it's easier to handle a minion group since they act as a single combatant.  Also, minion skills are based upon the number of minions in the group, so a group of minions is more powerful than a single minion (which only makes sense).  The down side is that you can only perform a single action and a single maneuver (normally) with a group of minions, you can kill multiple minions in a single shot, since damage goes against their total wound threshold, and, as your math showed, it's easier to kill individual minions in a group than it is to kill them singly if played as rivals, due to the fact that each single minion-as-rival would need its individual wound threshold exceeded, rather just exceeding the group's total wound threshold.

Hey OggDude,

Have you by any chance installed SQL Server CE from Microsoft?  The apps come with the 3.5 version.  If you've installed, say, 4.0, there may be a conflict and .NET might be trying to use 4.0 instead of 3.5.

I did have SQL Server CE, but even though I've uninstalled it, it still seems to crash.

Is anyone else having problems with installing from latest web links?

When I go to the bitly URL for the image on copy.com, I get this warning message:

Screen%20Shot%202015-05-23%20at%206.16.1

But when I proceed and click the link anyway, I then wind up with this error message:

Screen%20Shot%202015-05-23%20at%206.20.4

Am I the only one seeing these problems?

EDIT: I looked at the “details” offered, and the error summary it gave me was:

ERROR SUMMARY

Below is a summary of the errors, details of these errors are listed later in the log.

* Activation of http://copy.com/tArOKJad4XukGYYv/Deploy/SWCharGen/SWCharGenLauncher.application resulted in exception. Following failure messages were detected:

+ You cannot start application Star Wars Character Generator and GM Tools from this location because it is already installed from a different location.

+ You cannot start application Star Wars Character Generator and GM Tools from location https://copy.com/tArOKJad4XukGYYv/Deploy/SWCharGen/SWCharGenLauncher.application it is already installed from location http://copy.com/tArOKJad4XukGYYv/Deploy/SWCharGen/SWCharGenLauncher.application. You can start it from location http://copy.com/tArOKJad4XukGYYv/Deploy/SWCharGen/SWCharGenLauncher.application or you can uninstall it and reinstall it from location https://copy.com/tArOKJad4XukGYYv/Deploy/SWCharGen/SWCharGenLauncher.application. If you reinstall the application, be aware that you might lose any customizations that you made to the application.

And yes, I did try the DropBox version as well, and that gave me the same error message about the application already being installed from a different location.

Edited by bradknowles

Oggdude

Thanks for the great character generator, I really appreciate it I sent you some love via Paypal.

Couple questions.

1) I took Ataru Technique which allows me to use agility with my LS instead of Brawn, but it doesn't seem like it changes to using agility on the character sheet, am I missing something?

Update: I found the answer for #1, don't know why I didn't see it sooner.

2) Malwayrebytes is blocking dfsvc,exe everytime I load the portal apparently preventing the updater from checking for new updates on copy.com  should I just add it to my exclusions?

Edited by Praetor1