OggDude

Another Character Generator

Also, the specialization Larger Project does not show up or seem to affect the selected Signature Vehicle. For the Xwing it stays at Silhouette 3 and it does not mention that its Silhouette can be upgrade by 2 in the vehicle's stat block. Nor can you upgrade weapons/attachments using a Silhouette 5 as your base line. Am I missing something on how Larger Project works? I have the book but it is silent on how the ability should be applied. Meaning does the ship actually grow in size or can one just mount larger weapons/attachments to the ship? I am thinking it is later as an Xwing the size of a frigate/corvette is bit... freak'n weird. 

Signature Vehicle by default lets you select up to a Sil 3 vessel to call your own. Large Project lets you select Sil 4 or later 5 to be your signature vessel.

By default, you can pimp that X-Wing.

With Large Project 1, you can pimp a Falcon

With Large Project 2, you can make a Wayfarer super super shiny.

Oohhh. I totally did not read it that way.

I thought you could increase the current silhouette by +1/+2, not that the you could choose a bigger ship. 

I get it now. 

Question : would Chewbacca pick the Millemium Falcon as his Signature Vehicle, does that means he has to achieve 3 ranks in Larger Project before this to be effective ? I assume Larger Project 1 allows you to improve a silhouette 2 vehcle... (the Larger Project definition says "... 1 higher than normal per rank...")

It is Han's signature vehicle not Chewie's.

I have a question about program speed.  It runs a bit slow on my laptop.  Sometimes to the point of annoyance, but usually just a bit laggy requiring a bit of patience (well worth the wait of course).

What type of upgrade would speed the program the most?

• Upgrade from Vista to Windows 7 or 8.1
  • More RAM (Currently have 2GB)
  • Faster hard drive (upgrade to a SSD)

I'm considering one or two of the above to keep the system going until the Surface Pro 4 comes out and/or I save up for a Surface 3.

Edit:  I don't usually run a lot at once.  Typically just the character generator with a single character open, or the GM Tools with the group or encounter editor.  Rarely any combination of those.

Edited by Admiral Terghon

If you are running a 32 bit version you can only make use of 3gb, also unless you have a high-end laptop you motherboard is sharing memory with the on board graphics card. Also depending on the model of your laptop you'll have to see how much it can take, I like to have at least 1Gb per logical core. I have a 4 core AMD processor and I have 8Gb in my laptop. my on-board graphics card uses 1Gb of that. 

So if you have a 64 bit O/S upgrade your memory to at least  1Gb per logical core if you can afford it. If your laptop is using DDR2 era laptop memory, it is very pricing right now, I looked at getting a single 2Gb dimm for my Gf's laptop to bump it up to 3 Gb and well it was gonna  cost well over 125$. you can get 8 GB DD3 laptop memory for that price. 

If you only have a 32 bit O/S get it to a 64 bit version first. One of my players has a Surface Pro, though I'm not sure about the version it might be a 3. I'll see him Thursday and have him run it on his Surface Pro and get back to you here.

KSW

If you are running a 32 bit version you can only make use of 3gb, also unless you have a high-end laptop you motherboard is sharing memory with the on board graphics card. Also depending on the model of your laptop you'll have to see how much it can take, I like to have at least 1Gb per logical core. I have a 4 core AMD processor and I have 8Gb in my laptop. my on-board graphics card uses 1Gb of that. 

So if you have a 64 bit O/S upgrade your memory to at least  1Gb per logical core if you can afford it. If your laptop is using DDR2 era laptop memory, it is very pricing right now, I looked at getting a single 2Gb dimm for my Gf's laptop to bump it up to 3 Gb and well it was gonna  cost well over 125$. you can get 8 GB DD3 laptop memory for that price. 

If you only have a 32 bit O/S get it to a 64 bit version first. One of my players has a Surface Pro, though I'm not sure about the version it might be a 3. I'll see him Thursday and have him run it on his Surface Pro and get back to you here.

KSW

I run it on a Surface Pro 1 and one of the others in my group has a Surface Pro 3.  It runs beautifully on both of ours.

It's very iffy for me - sometimes it runs great sometimes it takes forever to register commands. I'm running it on a PC with a good processor and plenty of memory, so I am less inclined to believe it's an issue with the hardware. That said, it's never been so bad that I went: "Oh **** this free super helpful program I'll never use it again." ;)

I made some changes in the last couple of versions that greatly reduces the apps' memory footprint.  They will shoot up to 250MB or more when you go to print, of course, but when you're done, it'll drop back down again to well under 100MB.  On a fast processor, the generator might take 5-10 seconds to load.  GM Tools actually shows you what it's loading, and it caches everything using binary serialization into a SQL Server CE database to speed things up.  GM Tools speed in loading depends on how many adversaries, encounters, and groups you have.  The initial load from a cleared cache can be quite lengthy, but after the cache is created, it's pretty snappy.  I have everything in mine (all imports, plus my own encounters and adversaries), and it can take 10-20 seconds to load from cache.  If I close it, and run it again, it'll be quicker because of the way memory is allocated.

Hey OggDude, I absolutely love your program -- especially the GM Tools.

I have a suggestion though: When printing the encounter sheets, can we choose to toggle on/off the icon key at the bottom of the page as well? 

Thanks!

Hey Ogg,  Would you be able to add a vehicles system strain to an encounters vehicle roster, even if piloted by minions.

Edited by lupex

Can we please get the (Z2) Stun Baton from Far Horizons, page 43, to correctly display as +2 damage, rather than just 2? 

That's a heckuva damage difference for high-brawn marauder types who want to use it in pursuing live bounties.

*EDIT*

Actually nvm, I just edited the dataset.  Thank you!

Edited by CrunchyDemon

OggDude,

I was wondering, I note in the equipment section I can purchase multiple copies of gear, but for weapons I can not do this, For items such as grenades and bolos that would be a handy feature under weapons. 

Also if there a basic sword in one of the books? not the ancient sword from Force and Destiny. One of my players was sure he saw one in one of the expansion books. I did not see it within the weapons section. 

This creation you have made is so very uber helpful.

KSW 

OggDude,

I was wondering, I note in the equipment section I can purchase multiple copies of gear, but for weapons I can not do this, For items such as grenades and bolos that would be a handy feature under weapons. 

Also if there a basic sword in one of the books? not the ancient sword from Force and Destiny. One of my players was sure he saw one in one of the expansion books. I did not see it within the weapons section. 

KSW 

there is a correllian rapier or saber in SoF

Yo oggy, in regards to you answer to my last question, it appears that I may have an out-of-date PDF for the force and destinies beta. Do you know where I might be able to find myself the up-to-date version?

Yo oggy, in regards to you answer to my last question, it appears that I may have an out-of-date PDF for the force and destinies beta. Do you know where I might be able to find myself the up-to-date version?

You can get beta update 10. it includes the changes. But you need the beta book to work with it.

hi,

first of all, that's an AMAZING piece of work. I mean it.

but today I had a problem :

Create characters for use with the SW Roleplaying Game system by Fantasy Flight Games. Any questions or comments may be sent t a cessé de te fonctionner

which means that the generator stopped working. Actually it isn't even launched.

Signature du problème :
  Nom d’événement de problème:    CLR20r3
  Signature du problème 01:    swchargen.exe
  Signature du problème 02:    1.4.5.0
  Signature du problème 03:    5511b033
  Signature du problème 04:    SWCharGenLib
  Signature du problème 05:    1.4.5.2
  Signature du problème 06:    5511b02d
  Signature du problème 07:    214
  Signature du problème 08:    d3
  Signature du problème 09:    System.NullReferenceException
  Version du système:    6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48
  Identificateur de paramètres régionaux:    1036
  Information supplémentaire n° 1:    0a9e
  Information supplémentaire n° 2:    0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
  Information supplémentaire n° 3:    0a9e
  Information supplémentaire n° 4:    0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

Lire notre déclaration de confidentialité en ligne :
  http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=104288&clcid=0x040c

Si la déclaration de confidentialité en ligne n’est pas disponible, lisez la version hors connexion :
  C:\Windows\system32\fr-FR\erofflps.txt

I tried to "reinstall" the generator but that doesn't work better. I also tried to clear the cache. The launcher, the GM tools and the Data editor seem to work well.

the only thing I can remember doing in the CharGen before last closing was to remove the Age of Rebellion and Force and Destiny Core books from the source data

please help! we had planned to begin the game on next thursday!!

thanks

OggDude,

KSW 

If a weapon has hard points, then it can only be in stacks of 1.  If not, you should be able to stack them together.

hi,

first of all, that's an AMAZING piece of work. I mean it.

but today I had a problem :

Create characters for use with the SW Roleplaying Game system by Fantasy Flight Games. Any questions or comments may be sent t a cessé de te fonctionner

which means that the generator stopped working. Actually it isn't even launched.

Signature du problème :

Nom d’événement de problème:    CLR20r3

Signature du problème 01:    swchargen.exe

Signature du problème 02:    1.4.5.0

Signature du problème 03:    5511b033

Signature du problème 04:    SWCharGenLib

Signature du problème 05:    1.4.5.2

Signature du problème 06:    5511b02d

Signature du problème 07:    214

Signature du problème 08:    d3

Signature du problème 09:    System.NullReferenceException

Version du système:    6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48

Identificateur de paramètres régionaux:    1036

Information supplémentaire n° 1:    0a9e

Information supplémentaire n° 2:    0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

Information supplémentaire n° 3:    0a9e

Information supplémentaire n° 4:    0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

Lire notre déclaration de confidentialité en ligne :

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=104288&clcid=0x040c

Si la déclaration de confidentialité en ligne n’est pas disponible, lisez la version hors connexion :

C:\Windows\system32\fr-FR\erofflps.txt

I tried to "reinstall" the generator but that doesn't work better. I also tried to clear the cache. The launcher, the GM tools and the Data editor seem to work well.

the only thing I can remember doing in the CharGen before last closing was to remove the Age of Rebellion and Force and Destiny Core books from the source data

please help! we had planned to begin the game on next thursday!!

thanks

Do you have the complete 4.0 .NET framework installed?  Are you using the manual install or the web install?  I tried removing the same core sources using the Options button and I had no issues.  Generally, this type of issue points to a bad installation of some sort.  If you're using the manual install, try installing it into a new directory and see if that helps.  If using the web install, uninstall the software using the control panel, then perform a new install.

Do you have the complete 4.0 .NET framework installed?  Are you using the manual install or the web install?  I tried removing the same core sources using the Options button and I had no issues.  Generally, this type of issue points to a bad installation of some sort.  If you're using the manual install, try installing it into a new directory and see if that helps.  If using the web install, uninstall the software using the control panel, then perform a new install.

4.0 .NET framework was ok. I used the manual install. Now I installed again in another directory and it works again. Thanks god! (and you, mostly) And it seems I don't have to retype the whole stuff. I spent hours on it those last days...

:)

aaaaaaaaand no. I deleted the old directory. and again, the CharGen stopped working from the new directory... If I restore the old directory, the CharGen still doesn't work.

so I tried the webinstall. It seems it's working well at the moment.

I was playing around with the Data Editor, is there a way to make the Powerful Blast talent increase the Blast rating on equipped weapons?  That's basically what the talent does.

Increase Blast damage dealt by explosives, explosive weapons, and grenades by +1 per rank of Powerful Blast.

If not, I guess I could just make it an item attachment instead.

*EDIT*

I don't see a way to increase Blast Rating in the Data Editor for attachments, only add it.

Edited by CrunchyDemon

OggDude,

KSW

If a weapon has hard points, then it can only be in stacks of 1.  If not, you should be able to stack them together.

Is there any way to change this to be able to stack, and unstack any weapons/armour/gear, as my characters have a habit of ransacking imperial bases and stealing weapons and it gets a bit tedious having 50 separate blaster rifles listed. Perhaps have it so that you can stack any items except those with attachments?

OggDude,

First, I hope you got my donation.

Ok. got that the items with hard points can't be purchased in multiple copies. Thats was what I was trying to figure out, I hadn't had a chance to skim the instructions for that info. One of my players had gotten some bolos, 3 of them. So I'll let him know that for future changes to his PC.  

FangGrip, I'll look at the book, the sword he had found was a +2 with a crit of 4 and defensive 1. I only have so many of the books, I'll have to see if I can locate it.

Thanks for the pointer.

KSW

There is the Corellian Cutlass in Sons of Fortune, the VibroRapier in Fly Casual, and VibroGreat Sword in Dangerous Covenants

OggDude,

KSW 

There is a sell back button just under the two-weapons sets button.