OggDude

Another Character Generator

So a bit of a weird issue, regarding the Web Install version.

A few days ago, tried to get the update prior to the 3/10 one, and got an error that pretty much corrupted the launcher. Took everything out, and then ran the setup.exe file to re-install.

Everything works, except now I have none of the pre-loaded adversaries or encounters. Where in the AppData folder would I drop this info (also have the manual install files) so that I can access it without having to manually import all the files?

So a bit of a weird issue, regarding the Web Install version.

A few days ago, tried to get the update prior to the 3/10 one, and got an error that pretty much corrupted the launcher. Took everything out, and then ran the setup.exe file to re-install.

Everything works, except now I have none of the pre-loaded adversaries or encounters. Where in the AppData folder would I drop this info (also have the manual install files) so that I can access it without having to manually import all the files?

You mean when you run the GM Tools, you see no adversaries or encounters?  The first thing I would try to do is look to see if they're really there.  Click the "Data Folder" to bring up an explorer window for your data directory.  Adversaries should be under "Adversaries", while encounters should be under "Encounters".  If the number of XML files in each one looks about right, but you're still not seeing them, clear the cache and try again.  If the Data Folder button brings up a weird directory, then click "Data Path" to change it back to where your data is.

The default data path will be something like "C:\Users\[your user name]\AppData\Roaming\SWCharGen\".  There's nothing in the code, other than under the "Remove" button, that will delete any of your files, so they should still be there somewhere.  If I'm misunderstanding the problem, please explain it again :)

Adversaries folder under the pathway "C:\User\Name\AppData\Roaming\SWCharGen" is completely empty.  None of the Adversary files from the books where installed when using the setup.exe file.

I tried to manually add the files from the Manual Install zip file into the Adversaries section, but they're still not showing up.  The only "adversaries" seen in the listing are the PC files and an NPC I keyed in this morning.

Clicked the App Folder button on the program launcher, checked the Imports folder there, and all the folder files for the Adversaries are listed, but again they're not showing as present in the GM Tools.

The default data path will be something like "C:\Users\[your user name]\AppData\Roaming\SWCharGen\".  There's nothing in the code, other than under the "Remove" button, that will delete any of your files, so they should still be there somewhere.  If I'm misunderstanding the problem, please explain it again :)

I would recommend typing in the following to find your directory.

%APPDATA%

You should see the SWCharGen directory in the list of folders.

Or to jump directly there, you could use this instead.

%APPDATA%\SWCharGen
Edited by Lifer4700

Adversaries folder under the pathway "C:\User\Name\AppData\Roaming\SWCharGen" is completely empty.  None of the Adversary files from the books where installed when using the setup.exe file.

I tried to manually add the files from the Manual Install zip file into the Adversaries section, but they're still not showing up.  The only "adversaries" seen in the listing are the PC files and an NPC I keyed in this morning.

Clicked the App Folder button on the program launcher, checked the Imports folder there, and all the folder files for the Adversaries are listed, but again they're not showing as present in the GM Tools.

Setup doesn't install adversaries or encounters.  It doesn't touch anything in your data directory.  It only includes the stock adversaries, encounters, stock vehicles, etc., for the various adventures and books in the [App]\Imports directory.  If you've imported them before, they should still be in your [Data]\Adversaries folder.  Again, the data directory isn't touched by the install.

The "roaming" folder you listed is the default data directory, but it can be changed.  Did you change the default data directory to somewhere else, like maybe pointing it to a DropBox location?  Clicking "Data Folder" will bring up the currently-configured data directory.  If it's not right, it can be changed by clicking "Data Path".  The data directory contains all of your own data, including characters, custom data, imported or created adversaries, encounters, and everything else.  Do your characters still show up in the generator?

One more thing:  did you use the same Windows login account access your data?  The data path is stored in the user section of the registry, so you can actually have different sets of data based on which user is logged in.  If you run the generator under a different Windows login, it'll default to the standard data path under the user's AppData.

I have a question regarding how you're handling minion groups. For a Stormtrooper group of 3, your sheet says to mark off one minion every 5 wounds (and the check boxes indicate this as well). But a minion in a group isn't defeated until the wounds exceed the minion's wounds, not equal them. Should your sheet (and the handy square/circle check boxes you included) reflect this? Am I looking at it wrong? 

I'm trying my best to fit an image so it takes up the whole area of the portrait section where you can put a personal image in. Any ideas the size of that portrait? It seems to bounce the image around every which way except the way I want ;/

Hey Oggy, I have a sorta short question and just need a sorta short answer.

I have the 1.4.4.1 version and noticed that morality isn't there yet but the rest of F&D is, Are you working on that and when will that update estimated due out? I looked and 193 pages on here is alot to look through and a search brought up 47 pretty long posts so I apologize if i missed the answer if answered before.

I still say that FFG should try for electronic rights and hire you.

Hey Oggy, I have a sorta short question and just need a sorta short answer.

I have the 1.4.4.1 version and noticed that morality isn't there yet but the rest of F&D is, Are you working on that and when will that update estimated due out? I looked and 193 pages on here is alot to look through and a search brought up 47 pretty long posts so I apologize if i missed the answer if answered before.

I still say that FFG should try for electronic rights and hire you.

Is the character you're building a Force user?

If not, then the option for Morality won't appear.  If the character is a Force user, it'll be listed in the column of options on the left-hand side of the program window.

There's a GM Option that I believe will set Morality to always be an option, Force user or not, but it's set to the default of "Morality is for Force users only."

OggDude,

As I mentioned in my initial post, I had to delete everything due to an issue with an attempted update corrupting not only the launcher but also the program itself (kept getting an error messages that they could not be opened).  I then did a clean re-install of the entire program and files using the latest web install setup.exe, at which time the case of the stock adversaries not appearing in the GM Tools showed up.  The only adversaries that are present in the GM Tools are the PC builds that I've saved.

I did not change the default directory, and trying the various tricks posted in this thread to have the GM Tools recognize that there is data in the Import folder to be imported has failed, as the stock adversaries are not importing.  And yes, it's the same Windows login that I've been using, as nobody else uses my PC.

Luckily, I have an older back-up file that I've been able to port the stock adversaries over from, and that seems to have worked.  Looks like my prior attempts to force the import failed due to the files not being Advr#.xml in name.  Not sure how that's going to impact future updates when new adversaries are added; if it comes down to it, I'll just manually import those as well.

Hrm... It appears (and I've updated - 1.4.5.0) that all of my PCs have received 5 extra XP... Did the math change enough that it would provide that extra 5 or am I smoking something?

There's a side effect to the fix I made to allow items to work correctly when they make skills career skills.  In order for it to remember which skills were bought as career skills and which weren't, I'm relying on the non-career count to tell me how to add the proper XP.

The issue is that for older characters, their non-career skills don't have the non-career count, and so are coming out as career skills.  I can't just assume anymore that non-career skills have a non-career count equal to their purchased ranks, since some of the ranks could have been purchased when one of these items were equipped.

The fix is simple, though.  Go through your characters' skills and find any non-career skill that you bought at least one rank in.  Set the "Buy" rank to 0, then set it back to what it was.  Then save the character.  The extra XP should then go away and everything will work fine from that point forward.

OggDude,

As I mentioned in my initial post, I had to delete everything due to an issue with an attempted update corrupting not only the launcher but also the program itself (kept getting an error messages that they could not be opened).  I then did a clean re-install of the entire program and files using the latest web install setup.exe, at which time the case of the stock adversaries not appearing in the GM Tools showed up.  The only adversaries that are present in the GM Tools are the PC builds that I've saved.

I did not change the default directory, and trying the various tricks posted in this thread to have the GM Tools recognize that there is data in the Import folder to be imported has failed, as the stock adversaries are not importing.  And yes, it's the same Windows login that I've been using, as nobody else uses my PC.

Luckily, I have an older back-up file that I've been able to port the stock adversaries over from, and that seems to have worked.  Looks like my prior attempts to force the import failed due to the files not being Advr#.xml in name.  Not sure how that's going to impact future updates when new adversaries are added; if it comes down to it, I'll just manually import those as well.

Hmmm... the thing is, there's no such thing as "stock" adversaries anymore :)  There hasn't been since 1.1 or something like that.  No adversaries come stock with the program anymore.  They're all in the [App]\Imports directory, but are not part of your data unless you actually import them.  When you import adversaries, they go into your [Data]\Adversaries directory, where they're separate and safe from the application files.  This is the same directory where your characters go, where encounters are stored, and where your custom data is stored.

The only way the imported adversaries for GM Tools won't show up is if there's a database issue (clearing the cache will fix that), some sort of compatibility error (which I would have seen on my end), or if the "Advxxx.xml" files in your [Data]\Adversaries directory were somehow removed.  Since the data folder is completely separate from the application install files, I'm not sure how that could happen.

The only thing I can think of is if you set your data directory to be the same as your install directory, which is an extremely bad idea.  That's why, by default, it's tucked away in your user application data folder where it's safe.  Mine, personally, is in my DropBox cache directory.  I can install the program anywhere I want, and remove whatever I want, and that directory will never be touched.

I'm trying my best to fit an image so it takes up the whole area of the portrait section where you can put a personal image in. Any ideas the size of that portrait? It seems to bounce the image around every which way except the way I want ;/

Portrait sizes are rather amorphous.  They have a maximum display height and width, but the image itself is scaled up and down to fit within that area, keeping the aspect ratio, of course.  Any size will fit into the space and look normal.  Images with a large ratio difference between height and width might come out a bit tall or wide, but will still fit into the allotted space.

Does the picture look a bit weird on your character sheet or something?

I have a question regarding how you're handling minion groups. For a Stormtrooper group of 3, your sheet says to mark off one minion every 5 wounds (and the check boxes indicate this as well). But a minion in a group isn't defeated until the wounds exceed the minion's wounds, not equal them. Should your sheet (and the handy square/circle check boxes you included) reflect this? Am I looking at it wrong? 

You noticed that, have you? :)  It's been that way from the start and I've been wondering when someone would bring it up.  Yes, it's technically wrong, though it works well.  I'll revisit that one of these days and give it an overhaul.

Hello OggDude. As always, many thanks for putting these excellent tools together. If FFG ever gets the license to publish digital tools they should definitely look to you for guidance on the team. By filling in a few areas you've kept blank for copyright purposes this software could be lucrative package for sale.

No the image always has white spaces boarding the sides and I can't seem to get a good ratio to fix so it takes up the whole area :/ so basically what is the ratio of that box so I can maximize the space

No the image always has white spaces boarding the sides and I can't seem to get a good ratio to fix so it takes up the whole area :/ so basically what is the ratio of that box so I can maximize the space

Can you take a screen shot of what you're seeing and show it to me?  There should be no white borders on any of the portraits (unless they're part of the image), since they scale up and down and are not filled into the edges.

First off, sorry about all of these bug fix releases.  I had a feeling there'd be a couple of them because of the changes I made.  This will hopefully be the last one until 1.4.6.  With that said, 1.4.5.2 has been uploaded and should be ready in about 20 minutes.

Release 1.4.5.x Bug Fix

• There was an XP calculation error in skills.  This has been fixed.
  • If you had two copies of GM Tools running on the same or different computers, accessing the same data, and you modified and saved an encounter on one copy, then on the other copy, the first copy would crash.  This has been fixed.
  • The non-career XP fix, along with the fix to allow items to make skills career skills (where the item can be equipped or unequipped at will), caused a problem with existing characters. If an older character had purchased ranks in a non-career skill, they would be charged career XP since the non-career ranks were 0 for characters created before 1.4.5.  This would cause extra XP to appear unspent.  There is a check now to detect such older characters and fix their non-career skill ranks.

NOTE:  You can actually do this by hand if, for some reason, the character isn't detected and the fix isn't automatically applied.   Just find any non-career skills with purchased ranks.  From the "Buy" dropdown, set ranks to 0, then set them back to the original value.  Do this for all non-career skills with purchased ranks.  Then save the character.  The proper XP will then be displayed and the fix will be permanent.

• Changed the way minion wound is displayed on encounter sheets.  As per RAW, a minion is killed when wounds EXCEED the individual wound threshold.  The counters on the sheets had a minion marked off when wounds EQUALLED wound threshold.  This has been fixed to work by the rules. That is, the first minion is killed when the group takes wounds of threshold+1, then each minion after that is killed in increments of their wound threshold.

The problems were solved in the last bug fix. Thanks a lot!

Just a small suggestion: Could the ¨Notes¨ section be an optional feature when printing an encounter? I rarely use it and so it´s just a waste of paper space.

Thanks again for your effort.

The problems were solved in the last bug fix. Thanks a lot!

Just a small suggestion: Could the ¨Notes¨ section be an optional feature when printing an encounter? I rarely use it and so it´s just a waste of paper space.

Thanks again for your effort.

You mean Encounter Information?  It is optional.  If it's empty, it won't show up on the printout

Umm.. I mean the big square for Notes at the bottom of any Encounter printout. I am right now watching a .pdf o a encounter I created and though it is empty it still appears. Maybe I am not making myself clear.

Umm.. I mean the big square for Notes at the bottom of any Encounter printout. I am right now watching a .pdf o a encounter I created and though it is empty it still appears. Maybe I am not making myself clear.

The notes section is automatically added to fill up extra space at the bottom of sheets.  If it wasn't there, there'd be a big blank spot :) so it doesn't use any more paper than if it wasn't there.  It's printer-friendly in all print styles, but if you're really worried about ink, just use the "simplified" style.