OggDude

Another Character Generator

Hopefully the third time's a charm...

OggDude, love the program!

I'm trying to find out if there is a way to create a new grouping of skills on the print-out.  I wondered if the grouping was smart enough to detect changes in skill categories, or if everything was hard-coded.

I changed the raw XML file to group the social skills together by changing them from general to social.

<Type>General</Type>

became

<Type>Social</Type>

Lo and behold, the basic program was not bothered in the least, it handled the change in stride, displaying and sorting properly.  The print-out character sheet also recognized that the social skill were no longer General skills and did not include them.  Kudos to good programing!

But this leaves me trying to figure out where the stylesheets are so I can add my new "Social" group to the transformation.

Or is that hard-coded?

Hopefully the third time's a charm...

OggDude, love the program!

I'm trying to find out if there is a way to create a new grouping of skills on the print-out.  I wondered if the grouping was smart enough to detect changes in skill categories, or if everything was hard-coded.

I changed the raw XML file to group the social skills together by changing them from general to social.

<Type>General</Type>

became

<Type>Social</Type>

Lo and behold, the basic program was not bothered in the least, it handled the change in stride, displaying and sorting properly.  The print-out character sheet also recognized that the social skill were no longer General skills and did not include them.  Kudos to good programing!

But this leaves me trying to figure out where the stylesheets are so I can add my new "Social" group to the transformation.

Or is that hard-coded?

Unfortunately, the printed sheets only support General, Combat, and Knowledge as categories.  I hadn't really thought about people wanting to make their own categories.

First off, I love the generator.  It's been incredibly handy.

However, I'm having an issue with Holocrons.  Equipping a Holocron will correctly show the Career check mark on the Skills page, but the costs when upgrading the skills are as though it were Non-Career, and the new Non-Career column doesn't allow me to change how many ranks are/aren't Career in this case.

Any ideas on what I might be doing wrong?

Thanks.

Nice catch!  Yeah, that's a bug.  Basically, it made some final checks on skills before items were applied, so it was still seeing the skill as being non-career.  So if you got a career skill from any other source, it would work correctly, but if you got it from an item or an attachment, it would jump the gun and make it function like a non-career skill.

I modified the code to do that check AFTER items and attachments are applied, so it works now.  Next release :)

Awesome!  Thanks for checking into it.  Quick question though, if the Holocron is later lost/taken away will it be able to remember how many were Career and how many were Non-Career?

Thanks again.

First off, I love the generator.  It's been incredibly handy.

However, I'm having an issue with Holocrons.  Equipping a Holocron will correctly show the Career check mark on the Skills page, but the costs when upgrading the skills are as though it were Non-Career, and the new Non-Career column doesn't allow me to change how many ranks are/aren't Career in this case.

Any ideas on what I might be doing wrong?

Thanks.

Nice catch!  Yeah, that's a bug.  Basically, it made some final checks on skills before items were applied, so it was still seeing the skill as being non-career.  So if you got a career skill from any other source, it would work correctly, but if you got it from an item or an attachment, it would jump the gun and make it function like a non-career skill.

I modified the code to do that check AFTER items and attachments are applied, so it works now.  Next release :)

Awesome!  Thanks for checking into it.  Quick question though, if the Holocron is later lost/taken away will it be able to remember how many were Career and how many were Non-Career?

Thanks again.

With the fix, it'll remember how many ranks were bought as non-career, so you can unequip it, buy a new non-career rank, and re-equip it, and it'll remember that the last rank was non-career.

Edited by OggDude

Thanks again.

With the fix, it'll remember how many ranks were bought as non-career, so you can unequip it, buy a new non-career rank, and re-equip it, and it'll remember that the last rank was non-career.

Sweet.  Thanks!

Help. I was adding a profile pic form a URL and my AVG virus scanner went off. When I clicked to let AVG handle the risk, it did something to the program. Now I cant open the Character Generator. 

First. Thanks for this amazing program!

After update, when I try add starship to my character I get this error:

************** Exception Text **************
System.ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Index was out of range. Must be non-negative and less than the size of the collection.
Parameter name: index
   at System.ThrowHelper.ThrowArgumentOutOfRangeException()
   at System.Collections.Generic.List`1.set_Item(Int32 index, T value)
   at SWCharGen.CharRigger.NewCharVehicle(CharVehicle cveh)
   at SWCharGen.Form1.vehEdit_VehiclesUpdated(Object sender, CharVehicle veh)
   at SWCharGen.EditVehicle.btnVehNew_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)
   at SWCharGen.ImageButton.OnClick(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

I looked at the FAQ and didn't see an answer to my question.  Will the program run on a tablet or does it have to be a PC/laptop.  The only question i saw was pertaining to character sheets.  Love the program and thanks for all the hard work.

I looked at the FAQ and didn't see an answer to my question.  Will the program run on a tablet or does it have to be a PC/laptop.  The only question i saw was pertaining to character sheets.  Love the program and thanks for all the hard work.

The very first post in this thread says,

"I've written this in .NET using C#, so it'll be for the Windows platform and will require the .NET 4.0 framework."

I would really love to see it on my tablet (Galaxy Note Pro 12.2), but for now it stays on my desktop.  I can certainly understand the reasons to pick a platform and use it.  I work for a software company and providing for multiple platforms including mobile is a serious pain in the rear-end.

Edited by Lifer4700

Got a bug report; turning on "Show Purchasable Items Only" breaks the scroll bar when looking at Armor. Seems to work fine in Weapons and Gear.

EDIT: Also, sorting by price sorts by first digit only. (i.e. things go 10, 100, 150, 185, 20, 250, 30) etc. This seems to affect all three types of equipment.

Edited by jivjov

Help. I was adding a profile pic form a URL and my AVG virus scanner went off. When I clicked to let AVG handle the risk, it did something to the program. Now I cant open the Character Generator. 

Your virus program could have quarantined the apps, or done any number of other things.  Try disabling your virus program, then seeing if the generator works again.  if it does, you know where the issue lies.

Look for the upgrade weapons button.  That will swap the weapon.

You can upgrade existing weapons with new weapons, and you can add new weapons.  Both are accessible using the "Upgrade Weapons" button.  You can only remove weapons that have been added, or "downgrade" an upgraded weapon back to its stock weapon.

From various posts, etc., here's my latest batch of fixes:

• If a piece of equipment made a skill a career skill (such as a holocron), the skill calculator would incorrectly set non-career ranks to current ranks, which caused non-career XP to be spent.  This was because it made this check before items were applied to skills and the skill was still seen as non-career.  If a skill was set to a career skill in any other way, it would work.  It will now properly wait until after items are checked before making this change, so XP cost will be correct, and you will be able to change the Non-Career column as needed.
  • The generator could get an error when adding a vehicle.  This will no longer happen.
  • The Jury Rigged "attachment" for weapons now supports an option to require one less advantage to activate an active quality.
  • When clicking the Show Purchasable Items box in an Equipment pane when showing something other than weapons, you could get a fragment of a scrollbar showing if the displayed grid lost its scrollbar.  This was only a display issue caused by the weapon grid being slightly larger than the other two.  This should no longer happen.
  • Sorting on the price column for weapons, armor, and gear in the Equipment pane would incorrectly sort alphabetically when formatting was applied to the values.  This happened a couple of releases ago.  The price columns will now correctly sort numerically once again, and retain their new formatting as well.

If anyone catches anything else, please let me know.

I have found something I believe it´s a bug. In the GMTools when I import an encounter and use the print option I only get  a white sheet on the print preview. I have tried with several of the encounters from the different adventures and the problem remains. I am using the latest version of the program.

Thanks.

I have found something I believe it´s a bug. In the GMTools when I import an encounter and use the print option I only get  a white sheet on the print preview. I have tried with several of the encounters from the different adventures and the problem remains. I am using the latest version of the program.

Thanks.

Did you import the adversaries that went with the encounters first?

Yes, I did. There must be something with my computer because I have downloaded the last version on the laptop and there it worls perfectly.

I will tell you more once I do an image restore.

I'm still getting the crash when adding a new vehicle to a saved character. I thought this might of been from my old imported characters, but even when I make a new character, save it, and come back to it later, adding a new vehicle causes a crash.

See the end of this message for details on invoking
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

System.ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Index was out of range. Must be non-negative and less than the size of the collection.
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
    Assembly Version: 4.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.34209 built by: FX452RTMGDR
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v4.0.30319/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------
SWCharGen
    Assembly Version: 1.4.4.0
    Win32 Version: 1.4.4.0
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Users/owner/AppData/Local/Apps/2.0/M1H94QK4.JRW/QQBV4DKV.72M/swch..tion_de51780b26683057_0001.0004_51ea4c35e6852892/SWCharGen.exe
System.Windows.Forms
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System.Drawing
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
System
    Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.34238 built by: FX452RTMGDR
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
SWCharGenCtlLib
    Assembly Version: 1.4.4.1
    Win32 Version: 1.4.4.1
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Users/owner/AppData/Local/Apps/2.0/M1H94QK4.JRW/QQBV4DKV.72M/swch..tion_de51780b26683057_0001.0004_51ea4c35e6852892/SWCharGenCtlLib.DLL
SWCharGenLib
    Assembly Version: 1.4.4.1
    Win32 Version: 1.4.4.1
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Users/owner/AppData/Local/Apps/2.0/M1H94QK4.JRW/QQBV4DKV.72M/swch..tion_de51780b26683057_0001.0004_51ea4c35e6852892/SWCharGenLib.DLL
System.Core
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Core/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Core.dll
System.Configuration
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Configuration/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Configuration.dll
System.Xml
    Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.34234 built by: FX452RTMGDR
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll
Microsoft.mshtml
    Assembly Version: 7.0.3300.0
    Win32 Version: 7.0.3300.0
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC/Microsoft.mshtml/7.0.3300.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Microsoft.mshtml.dll
Microsoft.GeneratedCode
    Assembly Version: 1.0.0.0
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll
Microsoft.GeneratedCode
Microsoft.GeneratedCode
Microsoft.GeneratedCode
Microsoft.GeneratedCode
Microsoft.GeneratedCode
Microsoft.GeneratedCode
Microsoft.GeneratedCode
Microsoft.GeneratedCode
Microsoft.GeneratedCode
Microsoft.GeneratedCode
Microsoft.GeneratedCode
Microsoft.GeneratedCode
Microsoft.GeneratedCode
Microsoft.GeneratedCode
Microsoft.GeneratedCode
Microsoft.GeneratedCode
Microsoft.GeneratedCode
Microsoft.GeneratedCode
Microsoft.GeneratedCode
Microsoft.GeneratedCode
Microsoft.GeneratedCode
Microsoft.GeneratedCode
Microsoft.GeneratedCode
Microsoft.GeneratedCode
Microsoft.GeneratedCode
Microsoft.GeneratedCode
Microsoft.GeneratedCode
Microsoft.GeneratedCode
Microsoft.GeneratedCode
Microsoft.GeneratedCode
Microsoft.GeneratedCode
System.Data.SqlServerCe
    Assembly Version: 3.5.1.0
    Win32 Version: 3.5.5692.0
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Users/owner/AppData/Local/Apps/2.0/M1H94QK4.JRW/QQBV4DKV.72M/swch..tion_de51780b26683057_0001.0004_51ea4c35e6852892/System.Data.SqlServerCe.DLL
System.Data
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_32/System.Data/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Data.dll
System.Transactions
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_32/System.Transactions/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Transactions.dll
System.EnterpriseServices
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_32/System.EnterpriseServices/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.EnterpriseServices.dll
Microsoft.GeneratedCode
Microsoft.GeneratedCode
Microsoft.GeneratedCode
Microsoft.GeneratedCode
Microsoft.GeneratedCode
Microsoft.GeneratedCode
Microsoft.GeneratedCode

************** JIT Debugging **************
To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
application or computer (machine.config) must have the
jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
The application must also be compiled with debugging
enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
    <system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
rather than be handled by this dialog box.

First, kudos again for an awesome program.  Used it last night during Session Zero and it worked great (though I had to twice resort to the manual to figure out how to do what I wanted).  Ran into one issue which could be a feature request:

When looking at Weapons for equipment, is there (could there be) a way to sort by required skill?  Had to guess for one of my characters when he wanted something for his Ranged Heavy.

I'm still getting the crash when adding a new vehicle to a saved character. I thought this might of been from my old imported characters, but even when I make a new character, save it, and come back to it later, adding a new vehicle causes a crash.

I checked the code and the NewCharVehicle method has no code in it now :)  It wasn't needed with a change I made to the last version.  So I have no idea how you could be getting an error in it, when all it does is return.  Is anyone else having this issue with 1.4.4.1?

First, kudos again for an awesome program.  Used it last night during Session Zero and it worked great (though I had to twice resort to the manual to figure out how to do what I wanted).  Ran into one issue which could be a feature request:

When looking at Weapons for equipment, is there (could there be) a way to sort by required skill?  Had to guess for one of my characters when he wanted something for his Ranged Heavy.

If it's something enough people want, I could do it.  You can just do a category search on Rifles and Carbines, however.

Our group is having quite a few new crashes recently, but we'll wait and see how it goes next update. Some crashes are harder to diagnose than others, especially when they happen in unpredictable fashions.

The one "regular" crash we have is when more than one person uses the CharGen or saves a file that's used by the CharGen (like a DataEditor entry being modified), since we are all on the same DropBox, the person saving tends to crash the other users of the Editor. It's a very minor inconvenience, since we only use the editor at the same time during games, and our workaround consists in printing pdfs instead of constantly using the CharGen.

Edited by BarbeChenue

Our group is having quite a few new crashes recently, but we'll wait and see how it goes next update. Some crashes are harder to diagnose than others, especially when they happen in unpredictable fashions.

The one "regular" crash we have is when more than one person uses the CharGen or saves a file that's used by the CharGen (like a DataEditor entry being modified), since we are all on the same DropBox, the person saving tends to crash the other users of the Editor. It's a very minor inconvenience, since we only use the editor at the same time during games, and our workaround consists in printing pdfs instead of constantly using the CharGen.

I eliminated a majority of those, but if it's still happening, let me know which app is doing the crashing, what that app was doing, and what you did on the other app to cause the crash.  I can hopefully replicate it.

I checked the code and the NewCharVehicle method has no code in it now :)  It wasn't needed with a change I made to the last version.  So I have no idea how you could be getting an error in it, when all it does is return.  Is anyone else having this issue with 1.4.4.1?

I have been getting the same error on 2 different machines.