OggDude

Another Character Generator

Check out Game Kastle in Fremont, just down the road from you. They should have a copy of Fly Casual on the shelves there.

You da man!  Yeah, they have one available.  I already reserved it and will be heading out there tomorrow.  I'll take the wife along and have some dinner, just to make a night of it :)  Unfortunately, they don't have anything fun on their calendar for tomorrow.

I am still amazed at how much time, effort, and love you put into this software suite.

Thank you.

Thanks for all the work on keeping this up-to-date and patching as needed.

Any idea as to when we might expect to see material from Fly Casual?

No problem, guys :)  I'm glad you like it.  As I said in my last post, I should be getting my FC copy tomorrow.  So, depending on whether or not they introduced any new features that require coding on my end, I should have a FC release by the end of the week.

Check out Game Kastle in Fremont, just down the road from you. They should have a copy of Fly Casual on the shelves there.

You da man! Yeah, they have one available. I already reserved it and will be heading out there tomorrow. I'll take the wife along and have some dinner, just to make a night of it :) Unfortunately, they don't have anything fun on their calendar for tomorrow.
It's the least I can do for someone who's made a great contribution for the SWRPG community....well, that and I'm planning to take the Gunslinger spec on my character and would like to see it available on your Character Generator ASAP. :) Edited by zathras23

Ogg: :) I know Braendig has contributed some data for FC, but I was wondering if there were still any areas he hasn't provided yet? I just got the book in the mail today. :)

Yeah, thank you :)  Any of the items in this post not done by Braendig still need doing.  Just let me know what you can do!

I wish I could help you typing down Fly Casual, but I don't have it (yet).

Amazing work, once again. Ever since I've forced encouraged my players to adopt the Editor, they've been playing around with it like little giggling schoolboys. Our group's Dropbox folder now resonates with the late night character sheet updates and quite a few new characters they're fiddling with.

Kudos!

Edit: Oh, and yeah, I've found a slight bug with the Heal/Harm power once again. The Control: Medecine upgrade (1st column, 4th row) doesn't get added to the character's Used XP total. I've looked into the Data Editor, and the talent seems appropriately priced in the Heal/Harm power data (20xp, etc.), but it doesn't add up (literally). I've tried adding another upgrade right below it, by the same name with the same XP count, and it didn't add either. Strange. For the meantime, I'll just purchase another 20xp thing and count as.

Edit 2: And thanks for fixing all the previous bugs. Sorry for all the nagging. :D

Edited by BarbeChenue

I am still amazed at how much time, effort, and love you put into this software suite.

Thank you.

Thanks for all the work on keeping this up-to-date and patching as needed.

Any idea as to when we might expect to see material from Fly Casual?

No problem, guys :)  I'm glad you like it.  As I said in my last post, I should be getting my FC copy tomorrow.  So, depending on whether or not they introduced any new features that require coding on my end, I should have a FC release by the end of the week.

Well the paired attachment applies to 2 weapons and lowers the number of advantage needed to trigger the second attack in 2 weapon fighting..so  that might needs some coding otherwise I didn't see anything that stuck out. 

A couple of things.  First off, my FLGS didn't have Fly Casual, so I won't be getting it into the next release.  I'm looking into finding a place that accepts PayPal online to buy it.  If anyone has a favorite online SW book source, let me know.

I use MiniatureMarket.com. I’ve also got at least one spare copy of the book coming in, and it should be here within the next day or two. If you send me your shipping address information via PM, then I’ll turn around and send it back out to you ASAP.

Oh, and if anyone's found any other problem, now's the time to tell me...

Nah. Don’t you know that QA doesn’t start until the next release is already out? ;)

I mean, isn’t that what customers are for — providing free QA?   :D  :lol:

So I have "Age of Rebellion Core Rulebook" and "Age of Rebellion Rule Book" in my list of Sources; is this normal, or do I have something gumming up the works somewhere?

Does one of them say Beta? I'm not looking at the program, but my guess is the second one you mention is the AoR Beta.

Edited by rowdyoctopus

I wish I could help you typing down Fly Casual, but I don't have it (yet).

Amazing work, once again. Ever since I've forced encouraged my players to adopt the Editor, they've been playing around with it like little giggling schoolboys. Our group's Dropbox folder now resonates with the late night character sheet updates and quite a few new characters they're fiddling with.

Kudos!

Edit: Oh, and yeah, I've found a slight bug with the Heal/Harm power once again. The Control: Medecine upgrade (1st column, 4th row) doesn't get added to the character's Used XP total. I've looked into the Data Editor, and the talent seems appropriately priced in the Heal/Harm power data (20xp, etc.), but it doesn't add up (literally). I've tried adding another upgrade right below it, by the same name with the same XP count, and it didn't add either. Strange. For the meantime, I'll just purchase another 20xp thing and count as.

Edit 2: And thanks for fixing all the previous bugs. Sorry for all the nagging. :D

Works for me.  And there's no other upgrade directly below Control: Medicine.  Are you sure you don't have a custom version of the heal/harm tree?

Anyone else having an issue with the latest version where after trying to update the fourth or fifth character (specifically, updating so that gear is marked as equipped) the chargen part of the program crashes?

Yeah, me :)  It appears that the more characters you load, the bigger the memory footprint is.  I checked for memory leaks and discovered that there appears to be a problem with the BinaryFormatter where it just doesn't release its memory.  Normally, this isn't much a problem, but when I added signature vehicle support, it has to scan all characters looking for possible signature vehicles.  Whenever a new character is loaded, it does this again.  Doing this over and over was sucking down memory until it crashed.  This wasn't an issue before signature vehicles because it never had to iterate through this list over and over again.  And you probably didn't see it in the previous version because you didn't have to load 20 characters to change the "Equip" status on their gear :)

This can't be fixed because it's apparently a bug in the .NET framework.  At least, that's what I read.  However, I did manage to mitigate it past where it's not a problem anymore by keeping a static cache of characters and groups.  So, it only accesses them once no matter how many different characters you load.  I started out with 380MB, loaded about 5 or 6 characters, and was still running about the same memory usage.  With the problem, it shot way past 1500 and started getting memory issues as it ran into the 2GB limit.

Anyway, after you check your gear, you shouldn't run into this problem anymore.  And my bandaid should basically fix it in the next release.

I just re-verified and the Medicine Upgrade doesn't add, and it's not "UserCustom". (What I meant by "adding an upgrade below it" was that for testing purposes I went in the Data Editor and manually added a copy of the Medicine Upgrade to see if I couldn't get it to add, to no avail.) :)

I just re-verified and the Medicine Upgrade doesn't add, and it's not "UserCustom". (What I meant by "adding an upgrade below it" was that for testing purposes I went in the Data Editor and manually added a copy of the Medicine Upgrade to see if I couldn't get it to add, to no avail.) :)

Email me the character you're having this issue with.  All I did was start the generator, chose a Force career, then starting buying Heal/Harm upgrades.  All the ones I picked, includng the Medicine control upgrade, added XP just fine.  Maybe it's something specific to your character.

One of the things I'm having issues with is the size of character back-stories. Basically - there is not enough space! My players tend to go for long back-stories which is great <insert more rope and hanging analogy>, but I'd like it to be able to be available on their character sheet - all of it :)

Edited by GM Hooly

Here you go: http://www.filedropper.com/char11

I tried creating a new character like you did, and you are right it doesn't seem to happen to recently made characters. It happens on this character or the backup copies (dating back a few weeks) that I have, but it also surprisingly does it on two other characters that my group has that were created back in december and updated since then. Both those other characters were also generated on a different computer and are now on our collective dropbox, and they both don't add the XP cost of the Col1Row4 Control upgrade.

Minor Detail: Personal Stealth Field does not have any text associated with it in the character print off like other items that tell you. It should say that anyone wanting to detect the user must make a Formidable Perception check.

Here you go: http://www.filedropper.com/char11

I tried creating a new character like you did, and you are right it doesn't seem to happen to recently made characters. It happens on this character or the backup copies (dating back a few weeks) that I have, but it also surprisingly does it on two other characters that my group has that were created back in december and updated since then. Both those other characters were also generated on a different computer and are now on our collective dropbox, and they both don't add the XP cost of the Col1Row4 Control upgrade.

I figured it out.  Your character must have been last saved during the FnD beta cycle, and the Heal/Harm power got shifted around a bit in between edits.  When a character is loaded, the link routine verifies that the present Force powers matches the master list of Force powers.  However, what it doesn't do is verify that all the nodes in the master Force power are present.  That was the problem.  Heal/harm existed on the character, but it was missing the Control: Medicine node, probably because it didn't exist in the original version of the power.  You could select it on the tree, but it wasn't found in the upgrade list, so it didn't dock you XP.  If you switched to another power, then switched back to Heal/Harm, it would no longer be selected.

Anyway, I fixed it.  Besides verifying that Force powers exist, it will now also verify that all of the Force abilities within the power exist and add anything that doesn't.  It'll also update upgrade XP costs, just in case that might have changed as well.

Hey Oggdude, I tried the newest version, but I still get this error:

Application: SWCharGen.exe
Framework Version: v4.0.30319
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: System.Data.SqlServerCe.SqlCeException
Stack:
   at System.Data.SqlServerCe.NativeMethods.LoadNativeBinaries()
   at System.Data.SqlServerCe.SqlCeEngine..ctor()
   at SWCharGen.CacheList`2[[system.__Canon, mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089],[system.__Canon, mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089]]..ctor(System.String, SWCharGen.CharData)
   at SWCharGen.GroupListLoader..ctor(SWCharGen.CharData)
   at SWCharGen.Form1.CreateCharacterList()
   at SWCharGen.Form1..ctor()
   at SWCharGen.Program.Main()

Any ideas on how I could fix this? :(

-Kereo