OggDude

Another Character Generator

I assume we wait at least a full 24 hours before requesting the Lord of Nal Hutta stuff? =)

I am pretty sure I waited more than 24 hours. =)

*poke*

Still working on it :)  Got most everything in, except for adversaries and modular encounters.  I also need to add equipment pictures.  Here's what I've done so far for the next release:

Release 1.4.3.0 (Upcoming)

New/Changed Data:

• Added species, equipment, and vehicles from Lords of Nal Hutta.
NOTE: The Nikto species is no longer part of the Unofficial Species Menagerie, and is now an official species.  If you have a character that was created with the old Nikto species, please revisit the Species pane and select the new options for your sub-species.

New Features/Enhancements:

• In the species editor, you may now enter an adjustment (plus or minus) to the number of cybernetics that a species may use.  Currently, only the Ganks use this new feature.
  • If a weapon modifier exists that applies to all Brawl attacks, the basic "Unarmed" innate weapon will show up in the weapon equipment list already modified.  Before, the basic unarmed attack would show, but would be updated under shown weapons on the character sheet.
  • Gear, armor, and attachments may now contain built-in, or innate, weapon definitions, just like species.  This can be used to cause a piece of equipment or an attachment to create an ad-hoc weapon profile on the character.  Repulsor Fist and Under-Barrel Flame Projector use this new ability.  This is also supported in the data editors for these items.
  • The term "Held" has been changed to "Carry".  This helps to more accurately define the concept.  "Carried" items are items that the character has on his person, but isn't using, such as items in a backpack, slung on his back, etc.  "Equipped" items are items that are actually being utilized.
  • Gear may now be equipped, as well as carried, just like weapons and armor.  A carried piece of gear will contribute encumbrance, but will not add any benefits to the character.  Equipped gear will also add benefits.  This will allow you to, for instance, carry a piece of cybernetics, or a backpack (say, stuffed in an equipped backpack), without actually using it (gaining benefits from it).  
NOTE:  Because of this change, you may need to go through your inventory and equip any pieces of gear that gives character benefits, such as backpacks, in order to continue receiving the benefits.
  • The "Carry" (formerly "Held") and "Equip" columns will no longer show for any equipment stored in bases, groups, or vehicles.  Such items are "Carried" by definition.
  • The Equipment pane and Vehicle pane both now allow filtering on source.  In this way, if you know what book a particular piece of equipment or vehicle is from, you can filter on just that book.

Bug Fixes:

• Weapon modifiers in subspecies weren't being properly applied to shown weapons on the front page of the character sheet.  They will now be applied properly.

Oh, by the way, if you know of any piece of equipment or attachment that gives you a new weapon profile, please let me know.  The new Repulsor Fist does, as well as the old Under-Barrel Flame Projector, but there might be more of them that I don't remember.  If you remind me, I'll add the new ad-hoc weapon definition to it.

Little bugs I think I found:

The layout of the Heal/Harm power doesn't seem right. I've looked up the errata and original F&D book and the Row 3, Col 3 Strength upgrade should have links on both its left and right (not top), in addition to the link going down.

Also: the Optical Camouflage System doesn't upgrade Stealth checks twice (on the sheet at least), like it says it does. Unless it's on purpose?

Thanks for your great work!

Yeah, Heal/Harm was pretty mangled :)  It's been fixed.

I don't currently have a way of "upgrading" displayed skill pools.  If equipment adds boosts or advantages, or something like that, those can be added.  One way of doing it (and they probably should have done it this way in the book) would be for it to add 2 ranks to your Stealth skill, which would be supported by the generator.  Not sure why they worded it the way they did.  Maybe it was to allow the attachment to work around the skill rank limit or something, not sure.

The layout of the Heal/Harm power doesn't seem right. I've looked up the errata and original F&D book and the Row 3, Col 3 Strength upgrade should have links on both its left and right (not top), in addition to the link going down.

Also: the Optical Camouflage System doesn't upgrade Stealth checks twice (on the sheet at least), like it says it does. Unless it's on purpose?

I don't currently have a way of "upgrading" displayed skill pools.  If equipment adds boosts or advantages, or something like that, those can be added.  One way of doing it (and they probably should have done it this way in the book) would be for it to add 2 ranks to your Stealth skill, which would be supported by the generator.  Not sure why they worded it the way they did.  Maybe it was to allow the attachment to work around the skill rank limit or something, not sure.

Say the character has an agility of 2 and a stealth of 3. Normal dice pool of 2Y1G. Adding 2 to your stealth skill would add 2 green dice, whereas upgrading the check twice would make it 3Y1G. Upgrading twice is basically boosting the lower of the two between your skill and characteristic, rather than picking one or the other.

Thanks Ogg, forgive me for asking but did you see what my players have requested? I would be interested to hear your feedback since it is your program.

Yeah.  One issue I see with that is if you add current wound or strain to the character sheet, then there's no blank space to keep track of your new "current" values :)  I believe a lot of people put their character sheets in sheet protectors and write on them with wet erase pens.  If the value is already printed on the sheet, it could be confusing, and annoying.

If you print up sheets before every session, and assuming you're using sheet protectors, if you put the new sheet in the old sheet's protector, the written value will still be in the same spot.  If they lose their character sheet, well... :)  I suppose you could jot down everyone's current values at the end of the session so you'll know where they left off.  If that's an option, and if enough people think it's worth it, I could create a couple of boxes on the group sheet, next to the group members, where you could write the ending values from your last session.

Say the character has an agility of 2 and a stealth of 3. Normal dice pool of 2Y1G. Adding 2 to your stealth skill would add 2 green dice, whereas upgrading the check twice would make it 3Y1G. Upgrading twice is basically boosting the lower of the two between your skill and characteristic, rather than picking one or the other.

True, didn't think of that.  Well... I could see about maybe adding an upgrade ability to the existing Die Modifier feature.

Hi. I just discovered this and I downloaded the file but I can't get it to open. I have the Net4.0 framework and it has an icon on my desktop but clicking on it, hitting open, run as admin, etc, don't work. Can anybody tell me what I'm missing? Thanks. :)

Are you sure you installed the complete framework and not the "Client" framework?

I'm not sure. I googled Net 4.0 and installed it and It said I already had it on my laptop. I have a laptop only about 5 months old.

Hi. I just discovered this and I downloaded the file but I can't get it to open. I have the Net4.0 framework and it has an icon on my desktop but clicking on it, hitting open, run as admin, etc, don't work. Can anybody tell me what I'm missing? Thanks. :)

Are you sure you installed the complete framework and not the "Client" framework?

I'm not sure. I googled Net 4.0 and installed it and It said I already had it on my laptop. I have a laptop only about 5 months old.

I have a link in the documentation for the complete framework.  Try that one.

*bugs Ogg about Fly Casual*

I'm not even sure Black Diamond Games even has it yet.  They didn't bring any of their SW stuff to the con, so I had to buy LoNH from some other vendor.  Oh well.

Maybe I'll go this weekend and see if they have it.

This continues to get better and better.  Well done.

Is there a way to export this as a form-fillable PDF, or as a screen were you can +1/-1 to WT and Strain, etc?  It would mean that I can use this at the table to track wounds, et al, rather than having to print a sheet and then redo it all after the session, etc.  Award could work with credits and XP.  I'm using the program on my Asus tablet, Win8.1, and it's working great. Just would be nice to have the character equivalent of a statblock to work from.

Yeah, we don't have sheet protectors or dry erasers, so I guess I will be jotting down player values. Here's hoping as a GM I can remember (I tend to forget a lot of things).

I made a change to group sheets.  If you choose to show member detail, the Wound and Strain panels are now divided in two, like Defense.  The threshold is in the first half, and the second half is blank.  You can use that to record wound and strain at the end of the session, or whenever you want to keep track of it.  Then it'll be there for your next session.  Hope that meets your needs.

Is there a way to export this as a form-fillable PDF, or as a screen were you can +1/-1 to WT and Strain, etc?  It would mean that I can use this at the table to track wounds, et al, rather than having to print a sheet and then redo it all after the session, etc.  Award could work with credits and XP.  I'm using the program on my Asus tablet, Win8.1, and it's working great. Just would be nice to have the character equivalent of a statblock to work from.

That really goes beyond the scope of the generator.  I never intended this to be a play aid that you'd use to actually play the game, but more of a preparation, maintenance, and storage tool to help organize your games.  That's not to say that I will never make such a play aid :) but the generator just isn't it.  If I do end up doing something like that, assuming that FFG and/or The Mouse don't have a conniption about it, it would probably be an Android/iOS app that could hook into your data directory on the cloud and let you play the game paperlessly.  That's my thinking, anyway.

But don't get too excited, I have no plans on doing this currently.  Maybe in the future, again, assuming nobody wants to sue me for doing it ;)

Thank you so much!

If people want to help you add data for various stuff that comes out in newer books, in what format should they send it? Would XML files suffice? Is there an efficient way to help share the burden?

Thanks for asking!  If people want to volunteer to enter data, it would definitely help.  What I could do is assign parts to different people.  You can then enter whatever they are using the Data Editor and put them all into a data set that you can then export as a ZIP file.  I could then grab the XML out of the data set and add them to the base data.

I'm pretty much done with LoNH (been screwing around with the code today, so I still haven't done adversaries), but we could try this for Fly Casual.

That really goes beyond the scope of the generator.  I never intended this to be a play aid that you'd use to actually play the game, but more of a preparation, maintenance, and storage tool to help organize your games.  That's not to say that I will never make such a play aid :) but the generator just isn't it.  If I do end up doing something like that, assuming that FFG and/or The Mouse don't have a conniption about it, it would probably be an Android/iOS app that could hook into your data directory on the cloud and let you play the game paperlessly.  That's my thinking, anyway.

But don't get too excited, I have no plans on doing this currently.  Maybe in the future, again, assuming nobody wants to sue me for doing it ;)

Whoa oggdude.... That would be amazing... As an app too! I use the generator at the table now for my nods. Not to pressure you into the immense amount of work and blood, sweat, and tears what would take but wow... If you make it like your current version, I think you will be okay legally, where input is required on our part to get the info. They haven't said stop yet!

By the way thanks for the generator! I barely gave it a go and it's amazing. Reminds me of one I had for the original d20 Star Wars system. I think it was called okinarde or something like that. They got a cease and desist letter sadly. Yours is the superior of the two by far!

Thank you so much!

If people want to help you add data for various stuff that comes out in newer books, in what format should they send it? Would XML files suffice? Is there an efficient way to help share the burden?

Thanks for asking!  If people want to volunteer to enter data, it would definitely help.  What I could do is assign parts to different people.  You can then enter whatever they are using the Data Editor and put them all into a data set that you can then export as a ZIP file.  I could then grab the XML out of the data set and add them to the base data.

I'm pretty much done with LoNH (been screwing around with the code today, so I still haven't done adversaries), but we could try this for Fly Casual.

I'd be down for helping with this; got my Fly Casual yesterday. Care to assign me a section?

Well, OK then :)

Here's what I'm assuming is going to be in there, but I may be missing something:

• Backgrounds - Braendig
  • Obligation (new ones) - Braendig
  • Species (3)
  • Talents - Braendig
  • Specializations (after talents) - Braendig
  • Motivations (new ones) - Braendig
  • Signature Ability Nodes - Braendig
  • Signature Abilities (2) - Braendig
  • Weapons
  • Armor
  • Weapon Attachments
  • Armor Attachments
  • Gear
  • Vehicle Attachments
  • Vehicles
  • Adversaries, if any.

Talents/Specs and Sig Abilities/Nodes should go together, since they're related.  And they can be the most difficult to enter and get right, along with species.  Vehicles can also be a big task, since some of the larger ones have a lot of weapons, and you have to closely read the description to figure out how to best design the weapons :)

Anyway, pick something, and I'll assign it to that person, editing this message so everyone will know who's doing what.  I'll try and keep a close eye on this topic today to assign people as soon as they volunteer.  As to how to go about doing this:

1. Enter the information using the Data Editor.
  2. Create a data set called "Fly Casual" and put all additions into that data set.
  3. Set the "Source" of all new items to "Fly Casual".  After it's been entered once, typing "fly" and hitting the down arrow key should find it in the list.
  4. Make the "Key" something that logically makes sense (e.g., a Gee-Wow X-99 Mondo Blaster Pistol could be "X99MONBLASTPIST", or something similar. Try keeping it fairly short).  If you don't want to mess with it, just keep the default user key and I'll change it later.
  5. For item and vehicle categories, don't add any new ones, since they're basically there only for availability of certain attachments, but check the list and add all that apply.  
  6. For vehicle type, check the list before adding your own type (most of the common ones, like Light Freighter or Starfighter, should already be there).
  7. If a particular mod adds dice to particular skills, use the Die Modifier dropdown and list to add the dice, but ONLY if it is non-conditional.  If it conditionally adds dice (like "add [bOOST] to all combat checks in a hot or arid environment"), just describe it in the mod under "Enter Ad-Hoc Mod Description Here".
  8. Don't worry about pictures for anything.  I'll take care of them later.
  9. If you come across an ability or mod that you don't know how to enter, or that is a new mechanic that I'll need to code for, just skip it and send me a note describing what it's supposed to do.  I'll deal with it later.
  10. Descriptions should default to the name of the newly-added item, with some other stubbed-out sections for species.  After this name, add the following:  "Please see page XX of the Fly Casual Sourcebook for details.", where XX is the page number where the description of the item (not necessarily the item in a list) is located.  You can remove the extra stuff for species.
  11. Don't forget to occasionally hit the "Save" button under the item list to save your work! :)  You'll be reminded to do this when you exit the data editor.
  12. When finished, do an Export of the "Fly Casual" data set.  All of your work should be confined to just that one data set, and it should all be added to a ZIP file.
  13. Email the ZIP file to me at oggdude42@gmail.com

Thanks to everyone who wants to help!  I'll still need to verify and proofread everything once I buy the book, and I'll need to do images and silhouettes and all that good stuff, but this will greatly reduce the time it'll take for me to get the Fly Casual release out.  At least 75% of the time for this upcoming release was spent entering Lords of Nal Hutta data, and I'm still not finished :)

Edited by OggDude

I'll take a crack at:

• Backgrounds
  • Obligation (new ones)
  • Talents
  • Specializations (after talents)
  • Motivations (new ones)
  • Signature Ability Nodes
  • Signature Abilities (2)

I'll see what I can get done in the next few hours.