OggDude

Another Character Generator

Is it only that one picture of Zam that is causing the problem?  If you haven't had the problem with any other pictures I'd start to suspect the image is slightly corrupt somehow.  Maybe open it in some editor or other and save it as another format or edit a single pixel or something to get it make a fresh file.

I’ve tried other pictures and other files, but so far they have all been of Zam. I was really surprised when the Jenna picture worked fine, but Zam didn’t.

Oh, and I did take that image and make modifications to it to shrink it down to the official 263x320 size that OggDude had mentioned, and manually added some pixels along the left and right-hand sides to make it fit the slightly changed picture ratio.

And yet, I still had exactly the same problem.

So, we know that generating a new JPEG from the old one doesn’t help. And I don’t think that there are any “dangerous” artifacts that should be able to survive that kind of an external image resize operation.

Also, is your VM set at a weird DPI value?  Try setting it to normal DPI (which is 96, if I'm not mistaken) and see if you get better results.

And then we get back to a previous discussion, where I mention that this is Windows 8, and it gives me no obvious way to determine what the DPI settings are. I am using a Macbook Pro Retina, and I have adjusted the Display settings to “Change the size of all items” by one step up from normal, but that’s as much information as I have available to me.

If someone can tell me how to get detailed information on exactly what my DPI settings are and how to change them from one specific value to another, I’ll be happy to do that.

OTOH, changing the Display settings has not had any impact on the issue of printing — I was having this exact same problem before I made that adjustment.

Give this webpage a shot.

Give this webpage a shot.

That’s exactly what I wound up doing, but that doesn’t give me a specific DPI setting — it’s just “larger” or “smaller”, or whatever. It tells me nothing about what the standard DPI setting is, or what my current DPI setting is.

From what the page said, I would use "Smaller".

From what the page said, I would use "Smaller".

For comparison purposes, here’s a screen shot. On my laptop, the window on this screen measures slightly less than six inches wide, and the majority of the text is barely readable — right at the lower limit of what I can see:

Screen%20Shot%202015-02-04%20at%2012.38.

Reducing the DPI settings to the lowest level, this window becomes less than five inches wide, and only the largest text is barely readable — the rest is just too small to see:

Screen%20Shot%202015-02-04%20at%2012.41.

Next, let’s look at what happens with the app.

Next, let’s look at what happens with the app.

So, here’s the launcher, with a window that is under 2.5 inches wide, and where the only characters that I can actually read say “Star Wars”. I’m pretty sure I know what the rest say, but I can’t really quite read them.

Screen%20Shot%202015-02-04%20at%2012.48.

And the character generator itself, with a window that is less than five inches wide. I can almost read what is written on the various buttons, but the only text that I can really read on this screen is the numbers for the attributes:

Screen%20Shot%202015-02-04%20at%2012.50.

Next, let’s look and see if this DPI change makes any different when printing the character to a local PDF file on the Windows VM itself, using the CutePDF printer driver.

Next, let’s look and see if this DPI change makes any different when printing the character to a local PDF file on the Windows VM itself, using the CutePDF printer driver.

The print dialog:

Screen%20Shot%202015-02-04%20at%2012.55.

Selecting the CutePDF printer driver:

Saving the output file:

Looking at this output file, it appears identical to me to the one I had done earlier, with the same portrait of Zam. In other words, messed up. Just for chuckles and grins, you can compare the one I just created at https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/79813707/SW-EotE/OggDude/document.pdf versus the previous one at https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/79813707/SW-EotE/OggDude/CutePDF-Zam.pdf.

So, changing the DPI settings doesn’t help. Nor does “printing” the file to a local PDF versus having Windows print directly to a real printer.

So, changing the DPI settings doesn’t help. Nor does “printing” the file to a local PDF versus having Windows print directly to a real printer.

I also tried changing the top left pixel to white and re-saving that as a JPEG, but that didn’t improve anything. Neither did taking that modified JPEG and converting it to a PNG, where the top left pixel was both white and transparent.

I also tried changing the top left pixel to white and re-saving that as a JPEG, but that didn’t improve anything. Neither did taking that modified JPEG and converting it to a PNG, where the top left pixel was both white and transparent.

Try using the picture here, and let me know if it works :)

Okay, I don’t know what you did, but that seemed to fix the problem!

I’ll have to wait until tonight to try actually printing that off on my laser printer, but at least looking at the PDF file generated by CutePDF, I’m not seeing the problems that I had before.

Out of curiosity, what did you change?

Whatever it was, it wasn’t just the DPI settings. Now that I look at it, the original file is 96dpi. I noticed that your file is 72dpi.

So, I tried converting the file I had to 72dpi (no re-sampling), and saved that out. However, that still exhibited the same problem when printed through CutePDF.

Okay, I don’t know what you did, but that seemed to fix the problem!

I’ll have to wait until tonight to try actually printing that off on my laser printer, but at least looking at the PDF file generated by CutePDF, I’m not seeing the problems that I had before.

Short answer:  the picture was funky :)

Long answer:  When I used the picture and went to print, everything lined up perfectly on my end.  However, I noticed some odd white pixels scattered around the image.  Thinking it was some weird transparency issue, I added a black layer behind it, did a full-layer copy, and tried again.  Same funky white pixels.  So, I zoomed the image, did a screenshot of the window, then clipped out the image by hand and used that one.  Same funky pixels.  Saving the image as a JPG had the same weird result.

Curious, I then compared your PDF to my print preview.  As I said, on my end, all the lines were straight and the text clear; the image just had the funky white pixels.  I looked at yours, and sure enough, where the lines were squiggly, the funky white pixels were on the same scanlines in my image :)  So, what must have been happening is that, on your end, the funky pixels were removed when the page was rendered, which caused everything to go squiggly.  On my end, the funky white pixels remained, but everything lined up just fine.

I tried a few things to try and remove the funky pixel information.  I did an inverse of the image and I didn't see the pixels.  I then applied a couple of filters to it, and the pixels, again, disappeared.  Not wanting to modify the picture too much, I just changed the brightness and sharpness, and sure enough, no more funky pixels.

So... the picture I gave you is the original picture with the brightness and sharpness changed just a bit to remove the bad pixels from the image.

So... the picture I gave you is the original picture with the brightness and sharpness changed just a bit to remove the bad pixels from the image.

You, I saw those funky white pixels myself, but only on the output. I never saw them in the graphic editor.

Wow. Okay, so that is really wacky!

Thanks again!

You, I saw those funky white pixels myself, but only on the output. I never saw them in the graphic editor.

Wow. Okay, so that is really wacky!

Thanks again!

Yeah, I have no clue what exactly the problem was.  My guess was messed-up pixel information in the image, but clipping it out of a screen shot should have fixed it if it was.  And why did it display perfectly in GIMP, but funky in the print preview (which is just a bitmap made from a large, hidden form)?  And why is this the only image we've come across with this problem?  Very weird.

@ogg

I meant Price, to buy it for, not Prize, to win (In german both words are written the same way (Preis, wich is btw almost pronounced the same way as the english words), so I get it confused sometimes)

Does this have Agr of Rebellion traits? If not do you have plans to create/add? I am about to play and there are a couple of people that want to use AoR talents instead of EotE.

Does this have Agr of Rebellion traits? If not do you have plans to create/add? I am about to play and there are a couple of people that want to use AoR talents instead of EotE.

Yup, it’s got full EotE, AoR, and FaD/beta careers, specializations, talents, etc….

@ogg

I meant Price, to buy it for, not Prize, to win (In german both words are written the same way (Preis, wich is btw almost pronounced the same way as the english words), so I get it confused sometimes)

Ah, OK.  If I'm not mistaken, I think it was just on a ship, so it didn't have a price.  Unless, of course, you know what the price is :)

Okay, not seeing it in the FAQ, is there a way to export user created data?

In the data editor.  You can either export/import a particular data set, or you can backup/restore all your custom data.  In either case, it creates a ZIP file with your changes.

@ogg

Ah, OK.  If I'm not mistaken, I think it was just on a ship, so it didn't have a price.  Unless, of course, you know what the price is :)

No I don't, I just saw it. I don't have all the books, my GM has. ^^

But i would say. as long as a weapons doesnt have a price/size for ships it fots on, it shpudn't be avaible for upgrading.

This things soudns terribly large for a YT-1300 for example.