OggDude

Another Character Generator

Hey Ogg...

I mean the Attachments and the values of the damage from said attachments...When you transfer them to your vehicle, it gives just stock #s for the weapons.

OK, I see what you're saying.  Attachment damage just wasn't being applied.  It'll look right now.

Do mods transfer to encounters? When I have set p encounters it seems like the mods like targeting computers etc. don't get factored in to the die roll for a character. At least from what I have seen when setting up encounters to get all the die rolls set up for my character in a star fighter...

They should.  In the case of targeting computers, the boost die is situational (long or extreme range), so isn't automatically factored in.

should still be noted along with sniper shot and any other mods you may have. Even if it is not on all shots. It would be helpful to have them noted. As using an encounter sheets goal is to reduce page flipping not increase it :)

Maybe I'm not understanding, but if you add an attachment to a weapon or armor that belongs to an adversary, it does show up in the text when you print the encounter.  If there's something that affects all skill rolls, it'll show up in the dice pool.

Go take a look at starships. As I am not talking about NPCs but setting up encounters to put my character in a starship...

Hey Ogg...

I mean the Attachments and the values of the damage from said attachments...When you transfer them to your vehicle, it gives just stock #s for the weapons.

OK, I see what you're saying.  Attachment damage just wasn't being applied.  It'll look right now.

Do mods transfer to encounters? When I have set p encounters it seems like the mods like targeting computers etc. don't get factored in to the die roll for a character. At least from what I have seen when setting up encounters to get all the die rolls set up for my character in a star fighter...

They should.  In the case of targeting computers, the boost die is situational (long or extreme range), so isn't automatically factored in.

should still be noted along with sniper shot and any other mods you may have. Even if it is not on all shots. It would be helpful to have them noted. As using an encounter sheets goal is to reduce page flipping not increase it :)

Maybe I'm not understanding, but if you add an attachment to a weapon or armor that belongs to an adversary, it does show up in the text when you print the encounter.  If there's something that affects all skill rolls, it'll show up in the dice pool.

Go take a look at starships. As I am not talking about NPCs but setting up encounters to put my character in a starship...

I think I know what you're talking about now.  When translating characters into adversaries, the copy routine would only add base items to the adversary, which didn't include renames or attachments.  I changed it so that it uses the character's version of the item, complete with everything.

For some reason, I am missing half the buttons on the GM Tools adversary page, the right hand of the button (where it rounds off) is completely missing almost as if they've all be sliced off. Only on the adversary panes buttons though.

Are you using it on a tablet, like a Surface, or do you have your DPI settings turned up(possibly something like "Larger Fonts")?

Go into Control Panel/Programs, find it in the list, and uninstall it.

Uh, right. Have I mentioned that I don’t really do Windows?

Have I also mentioned that this is Windows 8.1, and the Control Panel as you might know it doesn’t really exist anymore, or at least Microsoft has gotten really good at hiding it?

Is this the first time this has happened?

This particular error, yes.

The first time I ever tried to uninstall a program “the right way”, as opposed to just formatting the disk and starting over? Also yes.

Go into Control Panel/Programs, find it in the list, and uninstall it.

Have I also mentioned that this is Windows 8.1, and the Control Panel as you might know it doesn’t really exist anymore, or at least Microsoft has gotten really good at hiding it?

Is this the first time this has happened?

This particular error, yes.

The first time I ever tried to uninstall a program “the right way”, as opposed to just formatting the disk and starting over? Also yes.

Press the and hold Windows key (looks like the Microsoft logo near the left control and alt of your keyboard) and press the r key. That will bring up a run box. Type "Control Panel". I just tried it on Windows 8.1 works great.

Edited by fatedtodie

It's windows 8. So yes, they have gotten really good at hiding things.

Press the and hold Windows key (looks like the Microsoft logo near the left control and alt of your keyboard) and press the r key. That will bring up a run box. Type "Control Panel". I just tried it on Windows 8.1 works great.

Hmm. And I guess you missed the part earlier where I said this was running under VMware Fusion on my MacBook Pro Retina, right? I am pretty sure that I don’t have a “Windows” key on this keyboard. ;)

Did I also mention that Ogg Dude’s program was the first thing I had ever encountered that caused me to VOLUNTARILY use Windows? I mean, VMware Fusion is installed on this machine for a reason — sometimes there are things in my career that force me to use Windows, no matter how much I might hate it.

But now that I have some idea of how I could potentially run the Control Panel, I think I might be able to get this back to working again.

I know this has been mentioned before, but it easily could have been lost in the deluge of requests you get.  Is there any chance you can make the group sheet put the obligations in order from largest to smallest?  Currently it seems to go from smallest to largest.  i assume duty is similarly backwards, but I'm too lazy to check.   :P

Hmm. And I guess you missed the part earlier where I said this was running under VMware Fusion on my MacBook Pro Retina, right? I am pretty sure that I don’t have a “Windows” key on this keyboard. ;)

Did I also mention that Ogg Dude’s program was the first thing I had ever encountered that caused me to VOLUNTARILY use Windows? I mean, VMware Fusion is installed on this machine for a reason — sometimes there are things in my career that force me to use Windows, no matter how much I might hate it.

But now that I have some idea of how I could potentially run the Control Panel, I think I might be able to get this back to working again.

I am not sure if you are trying to be rude or not, but it seems like you are.

So how about this..

Use VMFusion to press Control Alt Delete or right click on the task bar (the bar at the bottom of the screen that shows the currently open programs) and open Task manager.

Go to the file menu on Task manager go to Run new task...

Type Control Panel.

Snark not needed as a response.

Edit: Removed the 4 or 5 other ways to do this exact same thing that are not hidden but actually are in plain sight.

Edited by fatedtodie

Not intentionally, no.

Type Control Panel.

With your assistance, I was able to get Control Panel running, and use it to delete the previous version of the program.

Now we will see if I can get this thing reinstalled and running again, and hopefully the characters I created will still be present.

Thanks again!

I know this has been mentioned before, but it easily could have been lost in the deluge of requests you get.  Is there any chance you can make the group sheet put the obligations in order from largest to smallest?  Currently it seems to go from smallest to largest.  i assume duty is similarly backwards, but I'm too lazy to check.   :P

Actually, you're the first person to notice that :)  I could have sworn it was smallest to largest, but the examples show differently.  Oh, dopey me.  It'll now be presented properly.

Not intentionally, no.

Type Control Panel.

With your assistance, I was able to get Control Panel running, and use it to delete the previous version of the program.

Now we will see if I can get this thing reinstalled and running again, and hopefully the characters I created will still be present.

Thanks again!

Thanks, Fate.  The only time I've played with Windows 8 was on my mother-in-law's laptop.  I think I just moved the mouse to the right side of the screen and side-menu thing popped up with the control panel.  Or something like that :)  Not a fan of Windows 8.

Using it on a home computer, DPI is set to 125% to make it easier for me to read. Never had the issue before though which is surprising.

Plus it is only on that one part of the generator (GM Tools > Adversary Pane), the rest of it is good.

I just tried it with other skins and it has the exact same result. No idea why it was working and now its not.

Edited by Ebak

Using it on a home computer, DPI is set to 125% to make it easier for me to read. Never had the issue before though which is surprising.

Plus it is only on that one part of the generator (GM Tools > Adversary Pane), the rest of it is good.

I just tried it with other skins and it has the exact same result. No idea why it was working and now its not.

Is it on the main GM Tools screen, or the Modify Adversary window?

So, there’s good news and bad news.

The good news is that the re-install has gotten me back to a point where everything seems just as functional as before, the characters I had stored were not lost, and I can print them off.

The bad news is that the character portrait scaling enhancement has not improved the problem that I reported earlier.  I’ll try modifying the image I have to be exactly 263 x 320 pixels (as previously mentioned), and try again.

Thanks!

Main GM tools screen, let me see if I can get a picture on my dropbox.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/55gvpe0n6vlball/Screenshot%202015-02-03%2001.20.03.png?dl=0

Perfect, that was exactly what I needed to see.

As I suspected, it has to do with your DPI settings.  I had forgotten make certain parts of the forms docked and scrollable.  This wasn't just in GM Tools, but in other forms as well.  I went through and made the changes to everything, so you won't get that issue anymore.

I’ll try modifying the image I have to be exactly 263 x 320 pixels (as previously mentioned), and try again.

That didn’t work, either.   <_<  :huh:  :(

What about when you print the character out?  What's the portrait look like then?

When dealing with images of different sizes, there's only so many things you can do with it.  You can center the image and crop it down to size (Center), you can stretch it out to fill a given area (Stretch), or you can fit it into the smallest dimension and possibly have margins on the top or bottom, like on an HDTV (Zoom).  Since you lose information with the first one, and get a distorted image with the second, I went with the third.  To help ameliorate the affects of any margin, I fill any margin with the commonest color found in the image.  The only other way of doing it is to have a variable size image and make sure that it fits into a particular space.  

Of course, there's also a good chance that I'm not understanding what your issue really is.  So... if you can take a screenshot of what you don't like and show it to me, pointing out the issue, I can see what I can do.

What about when you print the character out?  What's the portrait look like then?

The problem I see is only visible when printing the character out.

Of course, there's also a good chance that I'm not understanding what your issue really is.  So... if you can take a screenshot of what you don't like and show it to me, pointing out the issue, I can see what I can do.

It’s not something that I can take a screenshot of.

The best I could do would be to print it out and then scan it back in, and then post the scan somewhere so that you can look at it. I’m not sure how well the problem would show up in a scan, but I’ll try that and post the resulting links in this thread.

I’ll try modifying the image I have to be exactly 263 x 320 pixels (as previously mentioned), and try again.

That didn’t work, either.   <_<  :huh:  :(

When dealing with images of different sizes, there's only so many things you can do with it.  You can center the image and crop it down to size (Center), you can stretch it out to fill a given area (Stretch), or you can fit it into the smallest dimension and possibly have margins on the top or bottom, like on an HDTV (Zoom).  Since you lose information with the first one, and get a distorted image with the second, I went with the third.  To help ameliorate the affects of any margin, I fill any margin with the commonest color found in the image.  The only other way of doing it is to have a variable size image and make sure that it fits into a particular space.  

This post got the hamsters running the wheel last night and I started thinking about a better way of doing portraits.  What I ended up doing was creating a portrait control.  It still uses the Zoom method, as above, but instead of outlining the control itself and adding bars to the sides or top/bottom, it puts the frame around the adjusted picture.  The rest of the control is transparent, so the end result is a portrait of whatever, with a nice border exactly around the portrait, centered within the boundaries of the control.  The size is still never greater than the control, but it can vary in size.

I added this control everywhere I do portraits and it looks great.  No more funky bars and exact dimension requirements.  Any picture you use for anything will still work and still look OK, even on printed sheets :)

The next release is ready.  Lots of tweaks, and the base purchase/obligation works correctly.  Give it about 20 minutes or so to finish syncing before you download.

Release 1.4.1.0

New/Changed Data:

• The Artisan tree had a few wrong connections.  These have been fixed.
  • The HLAF-500 starfighter had an incorrect image and silhouette.  It should now be correct.

New Features/Enhancements:

• In the vehicle weapon list dialog used for adding or upgrading a weapon, text is now added that describes the selected weapon.
  • On group sheets with the duty option selected, if you have no duty scores, but a positive contribution rank, the contribution rank will now be added without the duty table so the group's contribution rank will always be shown.
  • For PC Adversaries in GM Tools, translating a PC into an adversary would copy base items to the adversary.  It will now copy the PC's version of the item, including renames and item attachments.
  • Another change was made to portraits.  All displayed portraits will display without fill bars on the sides or top/bottom if their dimensions do not fit the portrait space.  The size of the portrait could vary, depending on the aspect ratio, but will always fit within the alloted area of the portrait.  This is true for portraits in the editing windows, as well as printed portraits.
  • On group sheets, morality is now sorted by the d10 roll required, rather than the size.

Bug Fixes:

• The obligation mechanic was incorrectly implemented in the new base feature.  Instead of having a special form of group obligation that cannot be removed (and doesn't show up in the group obligation list), each base will be associated with a "Debt" obligation whenever obligation is incurred by the base, such as when it is created or when an upgrade is purchased.  This obligation can be bought down, or even removed, and the default notes for the obligation can be edited.  If the obligation is removed and more obligation is incurred, a new "Debt" obligation is re-created automatically.  When you remove a base, you may now also optionally remove the obligation associated with the base, if it exists.
  • Base upgrades now cost either credits OR obligation, not both, as per the rules.  
  • When upgrading weapons on a vehicle with an innate Linked quality, the price of the upgrade was incorrect.  It should now be correct.
  • Fixed a couple of potential access violation errors when advancing contribution rank in the group dialog.
  • When printing vehicles, groups, or bases, stored weapons were being displayed with stock damage values, even if the weapon had an attachment that increased damage.  The damage will now be correct.
  • The obligation and duty charts were presented lowest size to highest size.  They should have been highest to lowest.  This has been fixed.
  • Loading an adversary could generate an error if it contained a piece of gear with an attachment, such as the modular backpack.  The adversary link routine will now properly link attachments belonging to gear, just as it does for weapons and armor.
  • In GM Tools, the adversary pane was being cut off if your screen was set to a higher DPI setting.  This should no longer happen.

Again Oggy, just awesome! Thanks.

A few questions. It's possible to add some option to give extra talents as GM option or other way like "(extra)Force Rating, Dodge,etc..."?

Also, any other way to ignore talent in a tree and purchase the next ones?

It's possible to donate via SMS?

Thanks again!

Again Oggy, just awesome! Thanks.

A few questions. It's possible to add some option to give extra talents as GM option or other way like "(extra)Force Rating, Dodge,etc..."?

Also, any other way to ignore talent in a tree and purchase the next ones?

It's possible to donate via SMS?

Thanks again!

There's something called GM Grants that I set up.  Currently, the only option is to give a character a Force Rating of 1.  I can add more grant types in the future if there's enough demand for it.  And no, you can't skip a talent in a tree :)

I have PayPal set up for donations via the Donate button.  Not sure what SMS is, though...