OggDude

Another Character Generator

I just Updated to the new version, and my Windows 8.1 complaiend about  "Potential harmful app" and refused to start it.

I didnt take a screenshot, but it basically looked like this:

http://cdn.ghacks.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/windows-protected-your-pc.jpg

more info named it was the launcher, and let it start me anyway.

Now that i started it anyway, the message doesn't come again

That's pretty normal, depending on the level of protection you have configured.  If downloading the web install, apps called "setup.exe" are usually flagged as being potentially harmful, not to mention the fact that it doesn't have a digital ID on it.  Likewise, installed apps that try writing to your hard drive, or doing other things, can get flagged as well.  It's just Microsoft trying to be helpful :)

Ok. I just wonderd, because it didn't happen on the first install or any previous updates, just today. (I always use webinstall for convinient Updates)

Another thing:

I am meddling around with the ship interface (I'm not our group's pilot so I didn't before) and I would find it helpful to also see the Qualities of the Weapons, not just damage and Crit.

Also i find it odd, that Weapons, taht are linked by default (like the quad laser) cost Baseprice + Link/2*Baseprice, making the Quadlaser cost 20k credits, although the listprize is 8k creds

I added descriptive text for the selected weapon when you're adding or upgrading vehicle weapons.  Also, I fixed the pricing so vehicle weapons that have an innate Linked quality will show the proper cost.

Any other issues before I do a bug-fix release for base obligation?

I dont know if this is a bug or not, but when you transfer weapons that are Modified on your persons (with all the right #s) when you sent it to your vehicle, it gives only the stock #s in the description.  If this is intentional then never mind.  If not then there it is.

What do you mean by modified?  Attachments should transfer fine, but modifications due to talents will only show when the character has the weapon.

A thing we discussed in our group recently:

If you dual wield, accurate and other bonusses from the offhand weapon shoudl carry Over to the dicepool, as far as we understand it (because you are using the weapon, and teh rules sate, tahte the bonus is while, well, using the weapon)

The same goes for setback dice from the balster acutation module and similar mods.

This is our understanong nly though, from the wording of the qualities, like accurate and defensive, might be wrong.

A thing we discussed in our group recently:

If you dual wield, accurate and other bonusses from the offhand weapon shoudl carry Over to the dicepool, as far as we understand it (because you are using the weapon, and teh rules sate, tahte the bonus is while, well, using the weapon)

The same goes for setback dice from the balster acutation module and similar mods.

This is our understanong nly though, from the wording of the qualities, like accurate and defensive, might be wrong.

I had the same confusion about qualities and penalties/bonuses when using two weapon combat.  So I sent in a developer question.  Here it is, and the answer:

I have a question about two-weapon combat. In many cases, certain skills or certain weapons will have various modifiers applied to them, such as boost dice, setback dice, or the ability to remove setback dice. How are these applied when you use two-weapon combat?

Example 1: You're shooting two blasters. One of them has the actuating module, while the other one doesn't. For the first weapon, you add a setback die to all attacks, but not for the second weapon. How would this apply if 1) the first blaster is your primary weapon, or 2) the second blaster is your primary weapon? Or does it matter?

Example 2: You're attacking with both a vibroknife and your fists (unarmed). The first uses Melee, the second uses Brawl. For whatever reason (talent, weapon mod, etc), your vibroknife attack removes a setback, and your unarmed adds a boost. How would these features be applied, again, with 1) the vibroknife as your primary, or 2) unarmed as your primary?

The same question could go for multiple modifier dice. If one attack adds 2 boosts, and the other adds 1, which applies? If one adds 2 setback, and the other 1 setback, which applies? Or maybe there's a combination of boosts, setbacks, and the ability to remove setbacks, divided out in different numbers between the attacks. How are these situations resolved?

Answered by Sam Stewart:

The weapon used sets the pool. The second weapon is only used if you gain two Advantage to trigger the second hit. So only the first weapon sets the pool. So if the second weapon has penalties or bonuses that would affect the pool, such as adding Boost or Setback dice, these would not apply. However, if the second weapon has penalties or bonuses that are applied after the pool has been rolled, then those penalties or bonuses do apply if you trigger the second weapon to hit. So If your second weapon is Accurate, you won't get Boost dice. But if your second weapon has a laser sight that gives you an Advantage on a successful attack, then if you're successful and you trigger the second hit, then you gain the additional Advantage as well.

Thank you very much for sharing the answer. I assume the same goes for Superior, as for the Banthas Eye?

Also keep up the good work, I am everytime surprised how fast you react on Feedback :)

Thank you very much for sharing the answer. I assume the same goes for Superior, as for the Banthas Eye?

Also keep up the good work, I am everytime surprised how fast you react on Feedback :)

Yeah, the advantage from the Bantha Eye and Superior are added to the secondary weapon only if it is activated, as well as the extra damage from Superior.  So, if you roll for the primary weapon and generate two advantages, you could use the advantages to activate the secondary weapon, which in turn would give you yet another advantage from Superior or the Bantha Eye.  If you only rolled one advantage, you couldn't take the extra advantage from the secondary weapon to activate it, since it needs to be activated BEFORE you get the benefit of the advantage.

Ogg,

I absolutely love your generator and it has helped me run several fantastic EotE campaigns. Thank you for all that you do.

I, however, have recently run into a small problem that is beyond me. I am running a different setting using EotE rules and I made up careers, specializations, talents, skills, etc for it in its very own dataset, works like a charm. So I made a whole new folder and installed a second Gen there to add the dataset to, with the intention of removing all the Star Wars stuff. Well I remove everything I dont intend to convert to my purposes. Then that night I boot up my other Gen for my Starwars game I run, and behold..all the stuff I did in the secondary Gen has transfered over to the Primary Gen, at no urging of my own.

How can I have two gens, setup in two different ways without them interfering with one another?

Ogg,

I absolutely love your generator and it has helped me run several fantastic EotE campaigns. Thank you for all that you do.

I, however, have recently run into a small problem that is beyond me. I am running a different setting using EotE rules and I made up careers, specializations, talents, skills, etc for it in its very own dataset, works like a charm. So I made a whole new folder and installed a second Gen there to add the dataset to, with the intention of removing all the Star Wars stuff. Well I remove everything I dont intend to convert to my purposes. Then that night I boot up my other Gen for my Starwars game I run, and behold..all the stuff I did in the secondary Gen has transfered over to the Primary Gen, at no urging of my own.

How can I have two gens, setup in two different ways without them interfering with one another?

One way you can do it is to run the app from a different Windows user login.  The data folder location is saved per user, so a different user could have a different data folder location.  

Just a reminder to beat up the apps as much as you can and let me know what falls apart so I can get as many fixes as possible into the next release.  I'll probably be releasing 1.4.1.0 tomorrow (not a bug fix, since it has a new feature as well), so any issues, bugs, feature requests, etc., that you have, please post them! :)

Here's what I have so far:

Release 1.4.1.0 (Upcoming)

New/Changed Data:

• The Artisan tree had a few wrong connections.  These have been fixed.

New Features/Enhancements:

• In the vehicle weapon list dialog used for adding or upgrading a weapon, text is now added that describes the selected weapon.

Bug Fixes:

• The obligation mechanic was incorrectly implemented in the new base feature.  Instead of having a special form of group obligation that cannot be removed (and doesn't show up in the group obligation list), each base will be associated with a "Debt" obligation whenever obligation is incurred by the base, such as when it is created or when an upgrade is purchased.  This obligation can be bought down, or even removed, and the default notes for the obligation can be edited.  If the obligation is removed and more obligation is incurred, a new "Debt" obligation is re-created automatically.   When you remove a base, you may now also optionally remove the obligation associated with the base, if it exists.
  • Base upgrades now cost either credits OR obligation, not both, as per the rules.
  • When upgrading weapons on a vehicle with an innate Linked quality, the price of the upgrade was incorrect.  It should now be correct.
Edited by OggDude

So I have a suggestion, but I'm not sure if its something you would want to add.  So I created a new modification for starships.  Basically you can trade storage space (encumbrance) to get a hard point.  I set the trade rate at -25% ENC for 1 HP.  Up to 75% of the ships ENC can be traded in this way.

This grants the players more options to customize their ship and applies a bit of common sense in what players will often want to do to their ships.  Like if you have an ENC score of 200 for that freighter of yours it stands to reason that you could reallocate some of that space for new systems.

Now I know that with your character generator you could just as easily create a new starship with this concept in mind, but I figure that if a mod could be created that did this instead, it would save a few minutes of time.

But great job on this program!  I even blogged about it to get more people to look your way.

Just a reminder to beat up the apps as much as you can and let me know what falls apart so I can get as many fixes as possible into the next release.  I'll probably be releasing 1.4.1.0 tomorrow (not a bug fix, since it has a new feature as well), so any issues, bugs, feature requests, etc., that you have, please post them! :)

I just tried it, and I got an error:

PLATFORM VERSION INFO

Windows : 6.2.9200.0 (Win32NT)

Common Language Runtime : 4.0.30319.34014

System.Deployment.dll : 4.0.30319.34243 built by: FX452RTMGDR

clr.dll : 4.0.30319.34014 built by: FX45W81RTMGDR

dfdll.dll : 4.0.30319.34243 built by: FX452RTMGDR

dfshim.dll : 6.3.9600.16384 (winblue_rtm.130821-1623)

SOURCES

Deployment url : https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/26990628/deploy/SWCharGen/SWCharGenLauncher.application

Server : nginx

Application url : https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/26990628/deploy/SWCharGen/Application%20Files/SWCharGenLauncher_1_4_0_0/SWCharGenLauncher.exe.manifest

IDENTITIES

Deployment Identity : SWCharGenLauncher.application, Version=1.4.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=de51780b26683057, processorArchitecture=x86

Application Identity : SWCharGenLauncher.exe, Version=1.4.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=de51780b26683057, processorArchitecture=x86, type=win32

APPLICATION SUMMARY

* Installable application.

ERROR SUMMARY

Below is a summary of the errors, details of these errors are listed later in the log.

* Activation of https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/26990628/deploy/SWCharGen/SWCharGenLauncher.application resulted in exception. Following failure messages were detected:

+ A device attached to the system is not functioning. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x8007001F)

COMPONENT STORE TRANSACTION FAILURE SUMMARY

No transaction error was detected.

WARNINGS

There were no warnings during this operation.

OPERATION PROGRESS STATUS

* [2/1/2015 4:37:29 PM] : Activation of https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/26990628/deploy/SWCharGen/SWCharGenLauncher.application has started.

* [2/1/2015 4:37:30 PM] : Processing of deployment manifest has successfully completed.

* [2/1/2015 4:37:30 PM] : Installation of the application has started.

* [2/1/2015 4:37:32 PM] : Processing of application manifest has successfully completed.

* [2/1/2015 4:37:34 PM] : Found compatible runtime version 4.0.30319.

* [2/1/2015 4:37:34 PM] : Request of trust and detection of platform is complete.

* [2/1/2015 4:38:13 PM] : Downloading of subscription dependencies is complete.

* [2/1/2015 4:38:13 PM] : Commit of the downloaded application has started.

ERROR DETAILS

Following errors were detected during this operation.

* [2/1/2015 4:38:19 PM] System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException

- A device attached to the system is not functioning. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x8007001F)

- Source: System.Deployment

- Stack trace:

at System.Deployment.Internal.Isolation.IStore.Transact(IntPtr cOperation, StoreTransactionOperation[] rgOperations, UInt32[] rgDispositions, Int32[] rgResults)

at System.Deployment.Application.ComponentStore.SubmitStoreTransaction(StoreTransactionContext storeTxn, SubscriptionState subState)

at System.Deployment.Application.ComponentStore.CommitApplication(SubscriptionState subState, CommitApplicationParams commitParams)

at System.Deployment.Application.SubscriptionStore.CommitApplication(SubscriptionState& subState, CommitApplicationParams commitParams)

at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.InstallApplication(SubscriptionState& subState, ActivationDescription actDesc)

at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.PerformDeploymentActivation(Uri activationUri, Boolean isShortcut, String textualSubId, String deploymentProviderUrlFromExtension, BrowserSettings browserSettings, String& errorPageUrl)

at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.ActivateDeploymentWorker(Object state)

I just tried it, and I got an error:

PLATFORM VERSION INFO

Windows : 6.2.9200.0 (Win32NT)

Common Language Runtime : 4.0.30319.34014

System.Deployment.dll : 4.0.30319.34243 built by: FX452RTMGDR

clr.dll : 4.0.30319.34014 built by: FX45W81RTMGDR

dfdll.dll : 4.0.30319.34243 built by: FX452RTMGDR

dfshim.dll : 6.3.9600.16384 (winblue_rtm.130821-1623)

SOURCES

Deployment url : https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/26990628/deploy/SWCharGen/SWCharGenLauncher.application

Application url : https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/26990628/deploy/SWCharGen/Application%20Files/SWCharGenLauncher_1_4_0_0/SWCharGenLauncher.exe.manifest

IDENTITIES

Deployment Identity : SWCharGenLauncher.application, Version=1.4.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=de51780b26683057, processorArchitecture=x86

Application Identity : SWCharGenLauncher.exe, Version=1.4.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=de51780b26683057, processorArchitecture=x86, type=win32

APPLICATION SUMMARY

* Installable application.

ERROR SUMMARY

Below is a summary of the errors, details of these errors are listed later in the log.

* Activation of https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/26990628/deploy/SWCharGen/SWCharGenLauncher.application resulted in exception. Following failure messages were detected:

+ A device attached to the system is not functioning. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x8007001F)

COMPONENT STORE TRANSACTION FAILURE SUMMARY

No transaction error was detected.

WARNINGS

There were no warnings during this operation.

OPERATION PROGRESS STATUS

* [2/1/2015 4:37:29 PM] : Activation of https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/26990628/deploy/SWCharGen/SWCharGenLauncher.application has started.

* [2/1/2015 4:37:30 PM] : Processing of deployment manifest has successfully completed.

* [2/1/2015 4:37:30 PM] : Installation of the application has started.

* [2/1/2015 4:37:32 PM] : Processing of application manifest has successfully completed.

* [2/1/2015 4:37:34 PM] : Found compatible runtime version 4.0.30319.

* [2/1/2015 4:37:34 PM] : Request of trust and detection of platform is complete.

* [2/1/2015 4:38:13 PM] : Downloading of subscription dependencies is complete.

* [2/1/2015 4:38:13 PM] : Commit of the downloaded application has started.

ERROR DETAILS

Following errors were detected during this operation.

* [2/1/2015 4:38:19 PM] System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException

- A device attached to the system is not functioning. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x8007001F)

- Source: System.Deployment

- Stack trace:

at System.Deployment.Internal.Isolation.IStore.Transact(IntPtr cOperation, StoreTransactionOperation[] rgOperations, UInt32[] rgDispositions, Int32[] rgResults)

at System.Deployment.Application.ComponentStore.SubmitStoreTransaction(StoreTransactionContext storeTxn, SubscriptionState subState)

at System.Deployment.Application.ComponentStore.CommitApplication(SubscriptionState subState, CommitApplicationParams commitParams)

at System.Deployment.Application.SubscriptionStore.CommitApplication(SubscriptionState& subState, CommitApplicationParams commitParams)

at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.InstallApplication(SubscriptionState& subState, ActivationDescription actDesc)

at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.PerformDeploymentActivation(Uri activationUri, Boolean isShortcut, String textualSubId, String deploymentProviderUrlFromExtension, BrowserSettings browserSettings, String& errorPageUrl)

at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.ActivateDeploymentWorker(Object state)

This is a ClickOnce error that happens once in a blue moon.  Try installing it again, and if you get the same error, try uninstalling, then reinstalling.

This is a ClickOnce error that happens once in a blue moon.  Try installing it again, and if you get the same error, try uninstalling, then reinstalling.

It did happen again.

So, what is the proper procedure for uninstalling, which hopefully won’t wipe out the characters I’ve created?

Just found out that the HALF-500 in the generator uses the incorrect ship image for its main image and silhouette. What is displayed is the LAF-250. There is a picture of the HALF-500 out there that can be used if modified slightly.

Sorry to be geeky and all that.

It did happen again.

So, what is the proper procedure for uninstalling, which hopefully won’t wipe out the characters I’ve created?

Go into Control Panel/Programs, find it in the list, and uninstall it.  Is this the first time this has happened?

Hey Ogg...

I mean the Attachments and the values of the damage from said attachments...When you transfer them to your vehicle, it gives just stock #s for the weapons.

OK, I see what you're saying.  Attachment damage just wasn't being applied.  It'll look right now.

Hey Ogg...

I mean the Attachments and the values of the damage from said attachments...When you transfer them to your vehicle, it gives just stock #s for the weapons.

OK, I see what you're saying.  Attachment damage just wasn't being applied.  It'll look right now.

Do mods transfer to encounters? When I have set p encounters it seems like the mods like targeting computers etc. don't get factored in to the die roll for a character. At least from what I have seen when setting up encounters to get all the die rolls set up for my character in a star fighter...

Edited by Daeglan

Just found out that the HALF-500 in the generator uses the incorrect ship image for its main image and silhouette. What is displayed is the LAF-250. There is a picture of the HALF-500 out there that can be used if modified slightly.

Sorry to be geeky and all that.

Being geeks is why we play this game :)  How's this:

HLAF500.png

HLAF500Sil.png

You know Ogg, I have a friend who is a recruiter.  Not sure if he has contacts in Oz, but if you're not already in a cushy tech coding job you certainly deserve to be.  Your CharGen is easily commercial quality.  Heck, it's commercial-after-a-few-patches-and-we-think-we-got-it-right-now quality.  I mean seriously, I've paid for crappier software often over the last dozen or so years.

Hey Ogg...

Do mods transfer to encounters? When I have set p encounters it seems like the mods like targeting computers etc. don't get factored in to the die roll for a character. At least from what I have seen when setting up encounters to get all the die rolls set up for my character in a star fighter...

They should.  In the case of targeting computers, the boost die is situational (long or extreme range), so isn't automatically factored in.

Hey Ogg...

They should.  In the case of targeting computers, the boost die is situational (long or extreme range), so isn't automatically factored in.

should still be noted along with sniper shot and any other mods you may have. Even if it is not on all shots. It would be helpful to have them noted. As using an encounter sheets goal is to reduce page flipping not increase it :)

Hey Ogg...

should still be noted along with sniper shot and any other mods you may have. Even if it is not on all shots. It would be helpful to have them noted. As using an encounter sheets goal is to reduce page flipping not increase it :)

Maybe I'm not understanding, but if you add an attachment to a weapon or armor that belongs to an adversary, it does show up in the text when you print the encounter.  If there's something that affects all skill rolls, it'll show up in the dice pool.

For some reason, I am missing half the buttons on the GM Tools adversary page, the right hand of the button (where it rounds off) is completely missing almost as if they've all be sliced off. Only on the adversary panes buttons though.