OggDude

Another Character Generator

My GM gave us a ship with a negative attribute that increases the number of available hard points on my ship. I was trying to build an addon in the data editor but it doesn't seem to have an option for hardpoints less than zero. Would my best option be to just make a custom version of the ship?

The next release is ready!  Homesteads and businesses have arrived!  This release has a lot of new stuff, mainly dealing with bases, so let me know if something doesn't work right for you.

Release 1.4.0.0

New/Changed Data:

• Lambda-class shuttle had incorrect weapon counts for its front-facing weapons.  These have been corrected.
  • The MSP100 hover pod had an incorrect price.  This has been fixed.
  • Modified the names of the tracker utility vest and mountaineer armor to include the "A/KT" prefix.
  • Changed a typo in the HT-2200 freighter, and removed the reference to FnD Beta, since the ship has been officially released in Far Horizons.

New Features/Enhancements:

• Added support for group bases, as described in Far Horizons.  Bases are added and edited using the Group dialog.  A group can have any number of bases, each with their own upgrades, NPCs, and equipment.  You can print individual base sheets for each base, or include base sheets when printing the group.  This version will not contain data editors for bases and upgrades, but you will still be able to change descriptions from the default page numbers.  Editors will be added in a future release.
  • Added bases as a transfer source for groups and characters.
  • Portraits are now treated more intelligently.  All portraits are zoomed, which means their largest dimension will fit exactly into the same dimension in the picture frame.  Additionally, any borders remaining will will be filled with the most common color in the portrait, or white if the portrait has a transparent pixel in the upper left.

Bug Fixes:

• A few versions back, a bug was introduced into the data editor which caused it to remove stock items completely, rather than just removing descriptions or customizations.  The itens were not actually removed, and would return the next time the data editor was run, but they'd disappear for the session.  This problem has been fixed.
  • When the data editor saved changes, it would save all custom data.  It will now only save tables that have been changed, which will improve the performance.
  • On all printed sheets, ensures that the name, base, category, etc., printed at the top will fit into the space provided, reducing font size if necessary.  This will allow long text to be displayed without being cut off.  This check is also performed with certain long text that must fit into a particular panel size.
  • A bug fix for the transfer dialog from the last release had an unintended side effect of causing all characters and groups used as the source to be saved when the transfer was completed.  This could cause unwarranted delays, as well as unneeded saves.  This will no longer happen, and only entities involved in a transfer will be saved.
  • When changing a group portrait, the new portrait would not be shown in the summary at the bottom until another change was made to the group.  It will now update immediately.

My GM gave us a ship with a negative attribute that increases the number of available hard points on my ship. I was trying to build an addon in the data editor but it doesn't seem to have an option for hardpoints less than zero. Would my best option be to just make a custom version of the ship?

Yeah, I'd just make a copy of the ship and give it more hard points.

One of my player's just found this tonight:  In the Artisan tree, Imbue Item should not be connected to Force Rating.

When I was double checking that just now, I also noticed that all the talents at the top of the tree are connected to each other.  This doesn't appear to be how it is in any other tree.

One of my player's just found this tonight:  In the Artisan tree, Imbue Item should not be connected to Force Rating.

When I was double checking that just now, I also noticed that all the talents at the top of the tree are connected to each other.  This doesn't appear to be how it is in any other tree.

They were supposed to notice that this morning....bad player :P

One bug in the Base of Operations section.

The cost is the credits OR the Obligation, not both. Even in the Upgrade cost box it says "or". I even asked Keith Kappel after the book came out about it and they are not set in stone, but suggestions for both.

Other than that. I totally love the way it was implemented.

Edit: Updated the info about the upgrade cost.

Edited by fatedtodie

They were supposed to notice that this morning....bad player :P

Yeah, next time, tell me before I do a new release.  Get with the program, man!  ;)

One bug in the Base of Operations section.

The cost is the credits OR the Obligation, not both. Even in the Upgrade cost box it says "or". I even asked Keith Kappel after the book came out about it and they are not set in stone, but suggestions for both.

Other than that. I totally love the way it was implemented.

Edit: Updated the info about the upgrade cost.

Uh... yeah.  I think I had a fixed idea about how it worked and my brain just refused to let me see the "or" for the upgrades.  For now, you need to take both, or just do an "Add" and have it cost obligation.  I'm going to have to change the way I do obligation, since with it being "or", it can apparently be bought down.  My thinking was that the "obligation" for the homestead was just dealing with the property, NPCs, or whatever, and couldn't be bought down without just selling the place.  So... bad OggDude!  :)

I dunno, I'm probably old enough to be his mom! But hey, if he looks like his avatar, I'll give it a go! :)

(... and I'm not just being a creepy fangirl, it was actually a quote from a  famous UK comedy, 'Blackadder'... the titular character Edmund says it to Dr Samuel Johnson...)

Srsly though, great work Ogg.  This is a fantastic resource and we appreciate the effort you put into updating it.

Edited by Maelora

I dunno, I'm probably old enough to be his mom! But hey, if he looks like his avatar, I'll give it a go! :)

(... and I'm not just being a creepy fangirl, it was actually a quote from a  famous UK comedy, 'Blackadder'... the titular character Edmund says it to Dr Samuel Johnson...)

Srsly though, great work Ogg.  This is a fantastic resource and we appreciate the effort you put into updating it.

Let's put it this way... my mom is 89 years old :)  Granted, I am the baby of the family, but...

Anyway, I just read through the rules again (probably should have done a better job of that), and what I'll do is just create a normal "Debt" obligation for the base, and have an option for upgrades to cost either more obligation or credits.  Currently, bases provide a special kind of obligation that doesn't appear in the group obligation list.  Doing it this way, it's just normal obligation that can be bought down if you want.  It's going to take some tinkering, but I'll try to have a bug-fix release sometime in the upcoming week.

Oh... Black Adder rocks!!  It takes a very close second only to Monty Python's Flying Circus for my favorite British comedy of all time!

I just Updated to the new version, and my Windows 8.1 complaiend about  "Potential harmful app" and refused to start it.

I didnt take a screenshot, but it basically looked like this:

http://cdn.ghacks.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/windows-protected-your-pc.jpg

more info named it was the launcher, and let it start me anyway.

Now that i started it anyway, the message doesn't come again

Edited by Urd

I just Updated to the new version, and my Windows 8.1 complaiend about  "Potential harmful app" and refused to start it.

That's pretty normal, depending on the level of protection you have configured.  If downloading the web install, apps called "setup.exe" are usually flagged as being potentially harmful, not to mention the fact that it doesn't have a digital ID on it.  Likewise, installed apps that try writing to your hard drive, or doing other things, can get flagged as well.  It's just Microsoft trying to be helpful :)

I fixed the base obligation mechanic.  It's actually simpler and more standard now.  Basically, each time you create a base, it'll create and associate with the base a "Debt" obligation, which will show up in your group obligation list.  Purchasing upgrades now gives you the option of either costing credits OR obligation, not both.  The base's obligation can be bought down, and even removed, just like regular obligation (which it is now).  If you remove base obligation and you purchase an upgrade that costs obligation, a new obligation is automatically re-created with the new amount.  If you remove a base and there's an obligation associated with it, it'll prompt you to optionally remove the obligation as well, if you'd like.

I'll test this some more and maybe release tomorrow or Monday.  In the meantime, if you find anything else that needs fixing, please let me know before the next release :)

That's pretty normal, depending on the level of protection you have configured.  If downloading the web install, apps called "setup.exe" are usually flagged as being potentially harmful, not to mention the fact that it doesn't have a digital ID on it.  Likewise, installed apps that try writing to your hard drive, or doing other things, can get flagged as well.  It's just Microsoft trying to be helpful :)

Ok. I just wonderd, because it didn't happen on the first install or any previous updates, just today. (I always use webinstall for convinient Updates)

Another thing:

I am meddling around with the ship interface (I'm not our group's pilot so I didn't before) and I would find it helpful to also see the Qualities of the Weapons, not just damage and Crit.

Also i find it odd, that Weapons, taht are linked by default (like the quad laser) cost Baseprice + Link/2*Baseprice, making the Quadlaser cost 20k credits, although the listprize is 8k creds

Edited by Urd

I dont know if this is a bug or not, but when you transfer weapons that are Modified on your persons (with all the right #s) when you sent it to your vehicle, it gives only the stock #s in the description.  If this is intentional then never mind.  If not then there it is.