OggDude

Another Character Generator

Hi Guys, 

I've been using this awesome tool for a while, but this is the first time I've run into an issue I couldn't work around.

I'm trying to import two PCs that a player is sending me and I'm getting the "Not a valid character" window popping up.

He's on 1.3.6.0 and I just upgraded to 1.3.7.0.

Any ideas?

Hi Guys, 

I've been using this awesome tool for a while, but this is the first time I've run into an issue I couldn't work around.

I'm trying to import two PCs that a player is sending me and I'm getting the "Not a valid character" window popping up.

He's on 1.3.6.0 and I just upgraded to 1.3.7.0.

Any ideas?

Did he perform a character Export?  And are you using a character Import to get it back?  Is the file an actual character?  I know it sounds silly, but the file may not contain a character; I've seen stranger things.

He Exported.  I tried importing on two separate PCs.

I've looked at the xml file and it looks legit.

Here it is, if you want to take a peek.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2315982/Hunter%20-%20Selkath%20Colonist.xml

and **** you are fast. ;)

There's an error in the XML.  One of the tags got messed up somehow.  Have him do another export and try again.

I’m curious — I’m taking an older character of mine and bringing him into the generator, so that I can keep everything straight. But I was looking for the A/KT Utility Vest, and I can’t seem to find it.

What am I missing?

I also just noticed that the equipment sort order as displayed on screen doesn’t seem to be translating to the printed page. I’ve done things in a kind of whacky order, but now I can’t seem to clean that up without manually clicking and dragging.

Edited by bradknowles

Not sure if anyone else has had this problem:

With an Ace/Rigger, when I select the Signature Vehicle Talent, it gives me a No Vehicle Message "There are no vehicles available to choose as your Signature Vehicle. Either add a vehicle to your character or join a group that has a vehicle." I receive this message even if I have multiple vehicles of appropriate silhouette added.

He Exported.  I tried importing on two separate PCs.

I've looked at the xml file and it looks legit.

Here it is, if you want to take a peek.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2315982/Hunter%20-%20Selkath%20Colonist.xml

and **** you are fast. ;)

There's an error in the XML.  One of the tags got messed up somehow.  Have him do another export and try again.

I think sending it by e-mail might have messed it up.  I shared a Dropbox folder with him and got them that way and it worked fine.

Thanks for the help!

With an Ace/Rigger, when I select the Signature Vehicle Talent, it gives me a No Vehicle Message "There are no vehicles available to choose as your Signature Vehicle. Either add a vehicle to your character or join a group that has a vehicle." I receive this message even if I have multiple vehicles of appropriate silhouette added.

I've tried it every which-way from Sunday and it works for me.  Do you have a vehicle before selecting Signature Vehicle?  Is it silhouette 3 or less?  You need one Larger Project for it to be silhouette 4, and two of them for silhouette 5.

If you add the vehicle after taking Signature Vehicle, then go back to the spec pane and click the little "Play" button in the corner of the Signature Vehicle talent, and the vehicle will show up, assuming it's an appropriate silhouette.

If you still can't get it working, export the character and email it to me (oggdude42@gmail.com).

I’m curious — I’m taking an older character of mine and bringing him into the generator, so that I can keep everything straight. But I was looking for the A/KT Utility Vest, and I can’t seem to find it.

What am I missing?

I also just noticed that the equipment sort order as displayed on screen doesn’t seem to be translating to the printed page. I’ve done things in a kind of whacky order, but now I can’t seem to clean that up without manually clicking and dragging.

It's under "Tracker Utility Vest".  I added them from the chart, and the chart doesn't have the "A/KT".  I modified names to look like the book.

The sorting is only for ease of finding your equipment; it doesn't save the sort order.  Instead, turn off sorting (ctl-click the header), and use drag/drop to re-order your gear the way you want it.  That order will be saved.

I have now tried it on two separate machines - just sent you an email, but am having the same issue.

Vehicles have been purchased before the talent, and after, and in both cases (even going back) I am getting the same vehicle error.

Thanks for checking this out!

I've tried it every which-way from Sunday and it works for me.  Do you have a vehicle before selecting Signature Vehicle?  Is it silhouette 3 or less?  You need one Larger Project for it to be silhouette 4, and two of them for silhouette 5.

If you add the vehicle after taking Signature Vehicle, then go back to the spec pane and click the little "Play" button in the corner of the Signature Vehicle talent, and the vehicle will show up, assuming it's an appropriate silhouette.

If you still can't get it working, export the character and email it to me (oggdude42@gmail.com).

I have now tried it on two separate machines - just sent you an email, but am having the same issue.

Vehicles have been purchased before the talent, and after, and in both cases (even going back) I am getting the same vehicle error.

I imported him, and loaded him, and it immediately allowed me to choose one of his three vehicles for a signature vehicle.  I have no idea what the issue is.  Just to be sure, I used my install, which should be the same as yours.  You didn't try customizing any of the talents, did you?  The editors don't support Rigger functions.

It's under "Tracker Utility Vest".  I added them from the chart, and the chart doesn't have the "A/KT".  I modified names to look like the book.

Oh. It’s under Armor, not Gear. That’s why it wasn’t showing up when I was looking in the Gear category, even when I was displaying all types of gear and not just Carrying/Storage gear.

The sorting is only for ease of finding your equipment; it doesn't save the sort order.  Instead, turn off sorting (ctl-click the header), and use drag/drop to re-order your gear the way you want it.  That order will be saved.

Ahh. Okay, I had somehow missed that part. Thanks for the clarification!

I imported him, and loaded him, and it immediately allowed me to choose one of his three vehicles for a signature vehicle.  I have no idea what the issue is.  Just to be sure, I used my install, which should be the same as yours.  You didn't try customizing any of the talents, did you?  The editors don't support Rigger functions.

That is really odd - I have not edited any of the talents (other than to add descriptions, and not even that for the Rigger yet). I may just have to uninstall and reinstall, see if that helps. Thanks for checking.

Cheers,

Joshua

That is really odd - I have not edited any of the talents (other than to add descriptions, and not even that for the Rigger yet). I may just have to uninstall and reinstall, see if that helps. Thanks for checking.

Cheers,

Joshua

Uninstalled, reinstalled from copy.com, and loaded it up. First thing that pops up when I select the test character is to "Select Signature Vehicles" - so that works, will have to do the same on my home computer. 

Cheers,

Joshua

Feature request: I love how you have a speed track as well as a current and original tracker for the vehicles shields and such. I was wondering if this can be edited into the encounter sheet when vehicles are involved? This way we can minimise the number of sheets we need for encounters.

Also, may I also suggest further streamlining it by adding a specific ordering for vehicles. By that I mean...well...

right now encounter sheets have all standard NPCs as well as their hit points and other important encounter info, then it has ships and their respective hull trauma and such. A clearer way of putting it is:

[NPC]

[NPC]

[NPC]

[NPC]

[VEHICLE]

[VEHICLE]

Is there a way to make it so that the vehicle is listed then whoever is inside that vehicle. So we group them by vehicle (if any)?

So it would appear:

[NPC]

[VEHICLE]

-[NPC]

-[NPC]

[NPC]

I've Been Having Trouble Getting The Signature Abilities To Work. I See Them In The Data Editor, But IM Not Able To Get Them. At Least I Think I Saw Them...

To get the Signature Abilities to appear, you first need to have a career that has signature abilities (so far, Explorer, Colonist, Hired Gun, or Ace).  Then, you need to have bought down a career specialization tree to the bottom row and purchased the talents in the proper columns, as defined by the signature ability.  When you do that, the Signature Abilities button will show up and you'll be allowed to purchase a signature ability.  

Note that not all of them may be available, depending on which bottom row talents you've purchased.  The specialization to attach the signature ability MUST come from your career, and you cannot purchase signature abilities from another career, even if you have a non-career specialization for it.

I still haven't been able to get it. I have the entire bottom row of Marshall bought.

edit: nevermind. got it figured out. colonist isn't my career, it's smuggler. *sigh* so i need to wait until the smuggler book comes out, and invest more into that tree

Edited by miishelle

Wow, that's a fantastic generator.

I know its updated with at least part of the errata for force and beta.

Does it use the latest one?

Also, anyone knows where i can find a complete database to insert into the program? I read the first post about it, but having bought the manuals, i really wouldnt want to have to copy everything

Edited by Madeiner

Also, anyone knows where i can find a complete database to insert into the program? I read the first post about it, but having bought the manuals, i really wouldnt want to have to copy everything

If (and only if) you own the books, there's a group on Big Tent where other users share various data that works with the program.  I will personally never give our data that contains verbatim descriptions from the books, however.  All my data just has page references.

First off... homesteads/businesses (bases) are 90% complete.  As I said, they were a lot more complex than you might think, and I had to add quite a bit to support them.  Most of the features have been included, and it'll even check characters to see if they belong to groups that contain bases that give out a career skill.

The one thing I haven't done yet is the base sheet.  And my question is... what do you guys want the base sheets to look like?  Any formatting requests?  Particular styles?  I'll probably use the same graphical elements I use for everything else, but you guys can give me suggestions for their arrangement on the page, and what information to include.

Let me know how you want it to look.  It might help reading through the base rules in Far Horizons so you'll know all the ins and outs of homesteads and businesses.

First off... homesteads/businesses (bases) are 90% complete.  As I said, they were a lot more complex than you might think, and I had to add quite a bit to support them.  Most of the features have been included, and it'll even check characters to see if they belong to groups that contain bases that give out a career skill.

The one thing I haven't done yet is the base sheet.  And my question is... what do you guys want the base sheets to look like?  Any formatting requests?  Particular styles?  I'll probably use the same graphical elements I use for everything else, but you guys can give me suggestions for their arrangement on the page, and what information to include.

Let me know how you want it to look.  It might help reading through the base rules in Far Horizons so you'll know all the ins and outs of homesteads and businesses.

How bout a Little House on the Prairie backdrop w/ flowers pedals and roses on the edges, with the theme music playing when you open it  :D  :wub:  :ph34r:  

How bout a Little House on the Prairie backdrop w/ flowers pedals and roses on the edges, with the theme music playing when you open it  :D  :wub:  :ph34r:  

Well, you can create Laura Ingalls as an NPC if you want :D

If (and only if) you own the books, there's a group on Big Tent where other users share various data that works with the program.  I will personally never give our data that contains verbatim descriptions from the books, however.  All my data just has page references.

Thanks :D Any comments on which beta errata update that is present in the generator? (last one? previous?)

Edited by Madeiner

I am sure this has been addressed before, but, going through 172 pages is exhausting. I entered almost all the data (skills/weapons/talents) on an older computer. I then exported the files and tried to import them to my new computer. Although it says it is successful, all I see is all the unentered entries. What is going on?