OggDude

Another Character Generator

Wonderful program, OggDude.  I do have a couple dumb questions.

1. I'm curious why the "purchase' screen includes options for varying prices.  Is one supposed to negotiate prices at character creation?  Or is this for in-game use of the character sheet?

2. The rules say one rolls a d100 after character creation to give the character pocket money.  I assume I'd just do this roll manually and then use the "award" button to add the money to my character?  

3. Probably not your department, but I'm curious whether there's a way to use the .xml files in programs like Fantasy Grounds, roll20, or Play-by-Forum sites like myth-weavers or rpol.net.

Many thanks!

Ogg,

The amount of work you put into this program is evident.  You've developed an amazing tool that I will undoubtedly use as long as I am playing the game.  Thank you, man.  

Sincerely,

Sean

Glad you like it!  And I'll keep trying to improve it as long as I can.

Wonderful program, OggDude.  I do have a couple dumb questions.

1. I'm curious why the "purchase' screen includes options for varying prices.  Is one supposed to negotiate prices at character creation?  Or is this for in-game use of the character sheet?

2. The rules say one rolls a d100 after character creation to give the character pocket money.  I assume I'd just do this roll manually and then use the "award" button to add the money to my character?  

3. Probably not your department, but I'm curious whether there's a way to use the .xml files in programs like Fantasy Grounds, roll20, or Play-by-Forum sites like myth-weavers or rpol.net.

Many thanks!

For purchases, I just wanted to give as many options as possible for how to spend your credits.  It's just for ease-of-use.  Plus, somewhere along the line, you will be negotiating for items in-game and applying it to your character later.  This feature was asked for by multiple people, and since I haven't heard back from them, I guess they like it :)

As for starting credits, I honestly haven't even looked at that part since I first started the generator, so I can't remember what the rules actually say.  But you have full control over how many credits you have, so the value is easy to change.

Character XML do not have full descriptions of everything in them.  They refer back to Data files for details (generally, that's what the "Key" values are for).  Someone could write an app that includes all data entries as well, I suppose, if you want a stand-alone, complete character.

You can print them in a simplified format, with relatively little color or graphics.  Choose the 'simple style' option from the drop-down menu at the top of the print screen.  You can also print to PDF.

OggDude, thanks for your replies to my three questions.  What a wonderful tool you've made!  Thanks.

Next version is now up.  I didn't make it a bug fix version, since I added some new functionality.  I am working on businesses and homesteads, but they're surprisingly complex, so it'll take some time.

Also, I'm discontinuing Google Drive, since it's so flaky.  I'm now using Copy.com as my secondary deployment service, so give it a shot.

Release 1.3.7.0

New/Changed Data:

• The A/KT Shockrider crash suit was added for Stay on Target, but an incorrect version of it was already included from Enter the Unknown.  The newer entry was removed, and the older entry was corrected.
  • Concealing robes was missing a mod.  It is now included.
  • The helmet comlink attachment from FnD used 1 HP, when it should be 0.  This has been corrected.
  • The Outer Rim/Piloting Space holocron had a typo for its price.  The price has been fixed.
  • Added seven new "generic" items to the gear list.  They represent any items you want with an encumbrance value from 0 (Incidental Item) to 6 (Very Large Item).  All seven items can be easily found by filtering on the "Generic" type.  The items can be renamed to whatever you want them to be, and notes can be added to describe the items, or mention any special features the items have.

New Features/Enhancements:

• Equipment grid (and the source grid in the transfer dialog) now supports splitting and combining stacks of items.  When you purchase an item, you can decide whether or not it will stack with like items, or be its own item.  If you select an item with more than 1 count, you can split that stack, either by number of stacks, or number of items to go into another stack.  Finally, you can select an item and combine all like items into a single stack.
  • Renamed items are now seen as a different item from its base item.  Items of the same type (identical keys) that have been renamed the same thing will be seen as identical.
  • The equipment grid now supports drag-and-drop as a means of reordering items.  Select an item, hold down the moust button, and move or scroll to another item.  The dragged item will be inserted right before the selected item.
  • There is now a way to turn off sorting in the equipment grid, specifically to facilitate dragging and dropping.  Just do a control-click in the header and the grid will revert back to the original, unsorted order.
  • Now supports ordering pizza!  The trick is figuring out how to do it... ;-)

Bug Fixes:

• Defense values for weapon qualities (such as Defensive and Deflection) were being incorrectly subjected to the armor-stacking code, which interfered with the final values.  This has been fixed, so defense values from Defensive and Deflection will properly be added to the character's defense attributes.
  • Damage calculations for lightsabers were still showing incorrectly in the weapon list on the character sheet, though it was correct everywhere else.  The weapon lists will now show the proper damage for lightsabers.
  • There was a bug in the transfer dialog, where if you transferred items, and then cancelled the transfer, all original item counts were set to 0.  This has been fixed.
  • Changed the first initiative ability in the Foresee Force power to cost 10 XP instead of 15.  Also switched the XP cost of the control and range abilities in the third position of rows 3 and 4.

Tested out the copy.com install.  Seemed very slow but I'm on a public wifi at the moment, so that may have been mostly download time.

As a note, the Dropbox and Google drive web installs never worked for me, doubtless because of all the script-blockers and such that I run.  copy.com was quite clean.

Since this was my first web install, it put everything in the default directory.  It would be cool to have a way to specify an install path.  I haven't checked the manual to see if there's a way to do that, I suspect with your level of thoroughness there is, but it wasn't obvious from the web install.

Additional side note:  I'm still finding new cool features every time I open up either the CharGen or GMTools.  :)

EDIT:  I can't find the new web install anywhere on my hard drive.  The old 1.36 install is still there and running that shows 1.36 not 1.37.  I'll try again and pay more attention to what is going on when I'm back home on a faster connection.

Edited by Admiral Terghon

Tested out the copy.com install.  Seemed very slow but I'm on a public wifi at the moment, so that may have been mostly download time.

As a note, the Dropbox and Google drive web installs never worked for me, doubtless because of all the script-blockers and such that I run.  copy.com was quite clean.

Since this was my first web install, it put everything in the default directory.  It would be cool to have a way to specify an install path.  I haven't checked the manual to see if there's a way to do that, I suspect with your level of thoroughness there is, but it wasn't obvious from the web install.

Additional side note:  I'm still finding new cool features every time I open up either the CharGen or GMTools.  :)

EDIT:  I can't find the new web install anywhere on my hard drive.  The old 1.36 install is still there and running that shows 1.36 not 1.37.  I'll try again and pay more attention to what is going on when I'm back home on a faster connection.

Web deployments use ClickOnce installs, so there's no way to change the default location (ClickOnce works the way ClickOnce works).  It does, however, add a shortcut to your desktop, and can be removed using the Programs and Features control panel, just like a normal install.  The actual install location is buried deep within your user's application data directories, and it actually keeps track of previous installs using its own internal logic.  If you want to know where exactly it is located, just click the "App Folder" button from the launcher.

Edit:  The install can also be found in your start menu under "Microsoft".  Yeah, I know, not very intuitive.  However, I looked up how to change this, so it should be something that makes more sense in future releases.

Edited by OggDude

This just got brought to my attention from another thread over on the AoR forum.  In the character generator, the Lamda Shuttle only has half as many forward weapons as it should.

This just got brought to my attention from another thread over on the AoR forum.  In the character generator, the Lamda Shuttle only has half as many forward weapons as it should.

It was one of the first ships I entered, and when I saw "(2)", I thought it referred to the Linked quality :)  I just gave both of them a count of 2, so they'll be available in the next release.

I should have specified that i want all the detail just no numbers. i want all the sections to be blank.

I guess the question is... why? :)  If you're going to spend all that time writing in your character by hand, and looking up gear and talents and everything else, wouldn't it just be simpler to use the character generator?

Well myself and my friend prefer to use our laptops but we have friends who want to use paper and pencil. They really like the layout you have and would like some blank ones. Personally i think you should take this layout and make an iphone/android APP that people can edit on the go

Web deployments use ClickOnce installs, so there's no way to change the default location (ClickOnce works the way ClickOnce works).  It does, however, add a shortcut to your desktop, and can be removed using the Programs and Features control panel, just like a normal install.  The actual install location is buried deep within your user's application data directories, and it actually keeps track of previous installs using its own internal logic.  If you want to know where exactly it is located, just click the "App Folder" button from the launcher.

Edit:  The install can also be found in your start menu under "Microsoft".  Yeah, I know, not very intuitive.  However, I looked up how to change this, so it should be something that makes more sense in future releases.

Found the new install.  Great Ghu is that one fugly install path.  If it's automatic it should work fine, so long as I don't need to do a manual install over a web install.  Of course, with the feature to change the data paths, I can easily reinstall any way or where I feel like and still link to my custom data.  That's a life-saving feature there.

Well myself and my friend prefer to use our laptops but we have friends who want to use paper and pencil. They really like the layout you have and would like some blank ones. Personally i think you should take this layout and make an iphone/android APP that people can edit on the go

What I do is have a centralized location on cloud storage that all my players can use to access their characters.  For the players that don't use the app, they can just get on someone's laptop and enter their character, or have someone do it for them.  They all go into the same repository, and can be printed out anywhere.  Generally, one of my players brings his laptop and has the chargen running on it.  If someone else hasn't spent XP yet, they'll just get on really quick and update their character.  I can then go upstairs and print it out for them.  They'll still have a hard copy and can write notes and the like, just as if they used a pen-and-paper character sheet.  But it can be reprinted if they make major changes.

Found the new install.  Great Ghu is that one fugly install path.  If it's automatic it should work fine, so long as I don't need to do a manual install over a web install.  Of course, with the feature to change the data paths, I can easily reinstall any way or where I feel like and still link to my custom data.  That's a life-saving feature there.

Yup, no matter where you put it, it'll find your custom data and characters :)

• Equipment grid (and the source grid in the transfer dialog) now supports splitting and combining stacks of items.  When you purchase an item, you can decide whether or not it will stack with like items, or be its own item.  If you select an item with more than 1 count, you can split that stack, either by number of stacks, or number of items to go into another stack.  Finally, you can select an item and combine all like items into a single stack.
I love splits! That and sorting were both very high on my list of minor annoyances that were … annoying. ;)

Thank you so much! :D

Edited by bradknowles

• The Outer Rim/Piloting Space holocron had a typo for its price.  The price has been fixed.

Hmm. What about the MSP100 Pteropter Hover Pod? Did you mean for that to be 30003Cr?

That’s the only price typo I’ve found so far.

Edited by bradknowles

Hmm. What about the MSP100 Pteropter Hover Pod? Did you mean for that to be 30003Cr?

That’s the only price typo I’ve found so far.

That was exactly what I meant to do.  30,000 didn't quite cut it for me.  I figured it was worth at least 3 credits more :D

I just fixed it :)