OggDude

Another Character Generator

Just to keep everyone up to date, I'm getting close to getting out the next SoT-ready release.  The hardest part was adding Signature Vehicles.  How it'll work is that you'll be able to choose either one of your vehicles, or a vehicle belonging to a group the character is in, when you choose the Signature Vehicle talent (it'll have a "Play" button in the bottom corner so you can change your SV in the future).  The vehicle will then have a special attachment that will contain all of the other mods you get from other talent selections.  The vehicle sheets will list of the attachment as "Fred's Signature Vehicle", as well as mentioning it in the "About this Ship" title.

As I mentioned before, the Dressellian's "Primitive" condition will properly subtract 10 XP if you don't want it :) and it'll now show up in the description (as "XP Cost: 10").  The Species editor will also support this feature for Option Choices.

I think all vehicles except one will have portraits and their own silhouettes (that was hours and hours of work).  I've currently got all new information from the book typed in and ready except for droids and mounts, which I'll be adding next.  Once that's ready, I'll test it for awhile and release it.

Stay on Target was more work than I thought it would be.  Oh, and if I have some spare time :)may (possibly) look into adding homesteads and businesses from Far Horizons for this release as well.  It'll eventually be added, I just need the time.

Awesome work, dude.

As to the trees, they're not showing up in anything (even as non-career).  Which makes me think it's some kind of XML parsing issue, but the files are too large for me to be able to figure it out without looking through a debugger.  I suppose I could forward you the files and you could look at them, but I'd rather not waste your time if I can do it myself.

I'd rather not wait for the next release, too, since I have a character I need to create in the next week.

I Did Change Them In The Editor. I Just Felt A Little Dirty Doing It Without Your Permission, Until I Found Out That They We're From The Managerie.

That Said, This Generator Is One Of The Reasons My Group Plays This Game. I Thank You So Much. We All Thank You For Your Time And Effort That Has Brought Us Many Hours Of Enjoyment.

So, I finally broke down and installed the program in a Windows VM that I already had on my MacBook Pro/Retina. I noticed one thing that seemed to be specific to running this way, which is that all the typefaces seem to be quite blocky and lower contrast (brown on yellow), and the program seemed to act like the screen was quite small — lots of scrolling required, etc…. My screen is actually good size, and high resolution (2880 x 1800). Has anyone else run into this issue, and if so how did you solve it?

On the second page (for the character background), I noticed that if I provided my own high-resolution picture of a Clawdite, the output seemed like the whole page had somehow been badly scaled up or down, and much less readable than the other pages. When I selected the standard image of a Clawdite as provided by the program, this problem went away. Is there a way to get the image to scale up or down separately from the text and other items on this page?

I also noted that the output on the last page for weapons, armor, and gear seems to have plenty of room to list cost as purchased, but it’s not actually shown. I know that this is being tracked internal to the program, because I can see the amount of Credits go down as I buy things. Is there a way to get this column to show up on the print out? Also, I can sort the display of things on screen by clicking on a column heading, but is there a way to get this to carry over to the print out?

Should the Thermal Cloak show up as armor, even though it doesn’t have any Soak or Defense? It might be nice to have all the clothing print together, even if there’s not any armor value to be had from it.

When choosing between races, would it be possible to show the base characteristics for each race, in a sortable display so that if I wanted to find all the races that had high Presence, I could easily do that?

Overall, this is a great tool for creating characters quickly, and I’m definitely going to be using the “Donate” button, even if there aren’t any improvements beyond the program as it exists today.

Thank you so much, OggDude!

Just a quick question OggDude

Ithorian bellow appears on the character species page in the generator.  But not on the character sheets (at least i could not find it)

Edited by kinnison

So, I finally broke down and installed the program in a Windows VM that I already had on my MacBook Pro/Retina. I noticed one thing that seemed to be specific to running this way, which is that all the typefaces seem to be quite blocky and lower contrast (brown on yellow), and the program seemed to act like the screen was quite small — lots of scrolling required, etc…. My screen is actually good size, and high resolution (2880 x 1800). Has anyone else run into this issue, and if so how did you solve it?On the second page (for the character background), I noticed that if I provided my own high-resolution picture of a Clawdite, the output seemed like the whole page had somehow been badly scaled up or down, and much less readable than the other pages. When I selected the standard image of a Clawdite as provided by the program, this problem went away. Is there a way to get the image to scale up or down separately from the text and other items on this page?I also noted that the output on the last page for weapons, armor, and gear seems to have plenty of room to list cost as purchased, but it’s not actually shown. I know that this is being tracked internal to the program, because I can see the amount of Credits go down as I buy things. Is there a way to get this column to show up on the print out? Also, I can sort the display of things on screen by clicking on a column heading, but is there a way to get this to carry over to the print out?Should the Thermal Cloak show up as armor, even though it doesn’t have any Soak or Defense? It might be nice to have all the clothing print together, even if there’s not any armor value to be had from it.When choosing between races, would it be possible to show the base characteristics for each race, in a sortable display so that if I wanted to find all the races that had high Presence, I could easily do that?Overall, this is a great tool for creating characters quickly, and I’m definitely going to be using the “Donate” button, even if there aren’t any improvements beyond the program as it exists today.Thank you so much, OggDude!

For the resolution, it is intentionally made low like that.

So, I finally broke down and installed the program in a Windows VM that I already had on my MacBook Pro/Retina. I noticed one thing that seemed to be specific to running this way, which is that all the typefaces seem to be quite blocky and lower contrast (brown on yellow), and the program seemed to act like the screen was quite small — lots of scrolling required, etc…. My screen is actually good size, and high resolution (2880 x 1800). Has anyone else run into this issue, and if so how did you solve it?

On the second page (for the character background), I noticed that if I provided my own high-resolution picture of a Clawdite, the output seemed like the whole page had somehow been badly scaled up or down, and much less readable than the other pages. When I selected the standard image of a Clawdite as provided by the program, this problem went away. Is there a way to get the image to scale up or down separately from the text and other items on this page?

I also noted that the output on the last page for weapons, armor, and gear seems to have plenty of room to list cost as purchased, but it’s not actually shown. I know that this is being tracked internal to the program, because I can see the amount of Credits go down as I buy things. Is there a way to get this column to show up on the print out? Also, I can sort the display of things on screen by clicking on a column heading, but is there a way to get this to carry over to the print out?

Should the Thermal Cloak show up as armor, even though it doesn’t have any Soak or Defense? It might be nice to have all the clothing print together, even if there’s not any armor value to be had from it.

When choosing between races, would it be possible to show the base characteristics for each race, in a sortable display so that if I wanted to find all the races that had high Presence, I could easily do that?

Overall, this is a great tool for creating characters quickly, and I’m definitely going to be using the “Donate” button, even if there aren’t any improvements beyond the program as it exists today.

Thank you so much, OggDude!

whst resolution is your VM set too? It will likely be different than your normal OS unless you set it.

whst resolution is your VM set too? It will likely be different than your normal OS unless you set it.

Inside the VM, the display is set at full resolution. Unfortunately, most Windows programs don’t do well at extremely high resolutions like this, and even some native Mac applications don’t deal well with extremely high resolutions.

So, it’s almost certainly going to be some sort of compromise, and the question is what is the best compromise I can get, and how can I get it?

Inside the VM, the display is set at full resolution. Unfortunately, most Windows programs don’t do well at extremely high resolutions like this, and even some native Mac applications don’t deal well with extremely high resolutions.

So, it’s almost certainly going to be some sort of compromise, and the question is what is the best compromise I can get, and how can I get it?

tinker with the resolution windows is using. I use 1920x1080 on my screen :) the program works fine that way..

Check the DPI setting.  If it's higher than 96 dpi, set it to 96 and see if that helps.

About the Ithorian bellow, you need to check "Show" in weapons in order for it to show up on the first page of the character sheet.

Check the DPI setting.  If it's higher than 96 dpi, set it to 96 and see if that helps.

I’m not sure how to do that on Windows 8.1. I’ll keep doing research, but for now I have found that if I set the screen resolution to 2048x1536 and change the setting for “Change the size of all items” to be one step down from the maximum, then that gives me something I can live with.

Of course, it does now leave me wanting something useful to do with all that extra screen real estate that SWCHARGEN has to play with. ;)

On a different topic, it seems that the checkbox for “Held” needs to turn into a “Quantity Held” counter, so that if I have five glow rods and three canteens, I don’t have to take all of them with me at all times. I should be able to hold some in reserve, and take only one of each with me — or however many I want, up to the number I have.

It would also be useful to be able to designate which items are usually in which container — so less bulky items go into the Surveyor’s Bag, while larger and bulkier items go into the Military Backpack that I don’t necessarily always take with me.

Thanks again!

I’m not sure how to do that on Windows 8.1. I’ll keep doing research, but for now I have found that if I set the screen resolution to 2048x1536 and change the setting for “Change the size of all items” to be one step down from the maximum, then that gives me something I can live with.

Of course, it does now leave me wanting something useful to do with all that extra screen real estate that SWCHARGEN has to play with. ;)

On a different topic, it seems that the checkbox for “Held” needs to turn into a “Quantity Held” counter, so that if I have five glow rods and three canteens, I don’t have to take all of them with me at all times. I should be able to hold some in reserve, and take only one of each with me — or however many I want, up to the number I have.

It would also be useful to be able to designate which items are usually in which container — so less bulky items go into the Surveyor’s Bag, while larger and bulkier items go into the Military Backpack that I don’t necessarily always take with me.

Thanks again!

transfer some of them to the party ship.

We don’t have a ship yet because this campaign has not yet actually started.

Even once the campaign does start, I would not be at all surprised to find that we don’t have a regular ship, we just pick up transport on whatever happens to be going the right direction.

Finally, my character is the only thing defined in my copy of OggDude’s program. The GM doesn’t use this program, and one other player does but he has his own copy that he uses separately.

We don’t have a ship yet because this campaign has not yet actually started.

Even once the campaign does start, I would not be at all surprised to find that we don’t have a regular ship, we just pick up transport on whatever happens to be going the right direction.

Finally, my character is the only thing defined in my copy of OggDude’s program. The GM doesn’t use this program, and one other player does but he has his own copy that he uses separately.

evangelize the program to your GM :P

From “Force and Destiny Beta”, page 131:

Thermal Cloak

Thermal cloaks are versatile pieces of equipment that can be worn or used as a blanket and provide protection from extreme heat or extreme cold.

Thermal blankets and thermal cloaks remove up to [sB][sB] from any checks made to handle the effects of extreme heat or cold.

So, is there a way that we can make updates to our definitions using the Data Editor and then share those files with others?

I’d be happy to share any updates I might make, although OggDude might not feel like he could accept all of my changes.

So, is there a way that we can make updates to our definitions using the Data Editor and then share those files with others?I’d be happy to share any updates I might make, although OggDude might not feel like he could accept all of my changes.

Are you talking about entering all the book descriptions and replacing instances of "see page X of book Y?". Making that publicly available would probably lead to problems as that circumvents the need for the book, which leads to copyright infringement claims.

Are you talking about entering all the book descriptions and replacing instances of "see page X of book Y?". Making that publicly available would probably lead to problems as that circumvents the need for the book, which leads to copyright infringement claims.

People could do that, but I’m not interested in going quite that far. I’d just like to share with everyone the modification that I made to Thermal Cloak, based on the description I posted above. And if there are others that have updates/corrections based on official material, I’d love to see that.

And if there are others out there that have well-known unofficial material, like Bob’s thread on movie races that have not yet been covered, then I’d like to see that, too.

People could do that, but I’m not interested in going quite that far. I’d just like to share with everyone the modification that I made to Thermal Cloak, based on the description I posted above. And if there are others that have updates/corrections based on official material, I’d love to see that.And if there are others out there that have well-known unofficial material, like Bob’s thread on movie races that have not yet been covered, then I’d like to see that, too.
Oh, you mean fixing mistakes and such?

In the past, I fix it myself using the data editor, but I also post about it here. Oggdude is usually able to fix it in his next update.

Edited by rowdyoctopus

I haven't played with 8.1, but it sounds like "Size of All Items" is a user-friendly way of changing the DPI settings.  The program works best with a DPI of 96, but it'll work with other DPI settings as well.  Some windows might just gain scroll bars if the contents can't be displayed with the existing resolution.

It should scale.  Can you send me a snapshot of the screen that shows the problem?