OggDude

Another Character Generator

I'm having trouble figuring out how to get my edited data (that I entered into the editor) to show up in the character generation program. I'm afraid of making a mistake and erasing all the entered data - any tutorials on this? ThankS!

Hi, I found an action that causes an error message, ''Index was outside the bounds of the array''. I edited the sub-species under droid in order for the sub-species to match the adversaries stats, but some of them get 5 ranks in certain skills from the start. Up to that point everything is fine, but when i go the Character Generator, under career, if i check a skill that already has 5 ranks it generates the error. I can manually work around that by not checking those skills, so it's still perfectly usable i just thought you would like to know about it. If you need it have a copy of the error's details.

Thanks OGGdude, that software is awesome.

player characters cannot start with more than 2 ranks in a skill. so trying to make a subspecies that does that is likely the cause of the error.

No, after testing it only happens with those that have 5 ranks, cause you can manage your level up with the software. The same sub-specy doesn't cause that error on skills that have more than 2 as long as there isn't 5 ranks. 

I have to ask why are you trying to put adversary stuff in the character generator? Adversaries do not follow the same rules as PCs. If you are doing this for NPCs

I would suggest you use the Adversary tool under the GM tools...which by the way has all the droids in it already...

I know they're there, i just felt that playing droids in the game was kind of boring, something was amiss. I mean a droid as a base program, but he could be set free to have his own will, but he had a model before. The players who wish to play droids can start as, an IG-Assassin or B-1 Battle droid, for example. I let them have the base stats in exchange for minimal starting XP (50), they can then use those XP to modifies their characters. It, of course give stronger PC, but leveling the game is not that hard. Secondly i allow my player to have droid followers, if they succeed on some mechanics, computer checks (difficulty varying on the droid) i allow them to temper with the programming of those droid, that tempering results in XP they can give to the droids, if really successful, and i mean really successful and the players give a good role-play all along the game (Character and follower) i sometimes allow that they managed to program a learning algorithm in the droid that allows the droid to gain half the PC's XP in a session, given that the droid did something worthwhile (took part in a battle and was actually useful in it, save the PC's lives, broke into something etc.) I just don't apply critical injuries on those Droids (they die). So in short that's why i edit the sub-species in droid. It's a custom game mechanic, me and my friends find it balanced and actually like things better this way. I also use the GM's tool, and i must say that this software is one of the most complete software made to support a RPG I've seen.

Edit: i allow that tempering to take place once per session, they can't spend a whole session tempering the droids over and over again, and failure as a cost, either the droid is destroyed in the process or it turns on the players, CPU errors causing the robot to go nut and somehow more dangerous than the basic one, we actually lost group members because of that,

Edited by benjo1122

Hi, I found an action that causes an error message, ''Index was outside the bounds of the array''. I edited the sub-species under droid in order for the sub-species to match the adversaries stats, but some of them get 5 ranks in certain skills from the start. Up to that point everything is fine, but when i go the Character Generator, under career, if i check a skill that already has 5 ranks it generates the error. I can manually work around that by not checking those skills, so it's still perfectly usable i just thought you would like to know about it. If you need it have a copy of the error's details.

player characters cannot start with more than 2 ranks in a skill. so trying to make a subspecies that does that is likely the cause of the error.

No, after testing it only happens with those that have 5 ranks, cause you can manage your level up with the software. The same sub-specy doesn't cause that error on skills that have more than 2 as long as there isn't 5 ranks. 

I have to ask why are you trying to put adversary stuff in the character generator? Adversaries do not follow the same rules as PCs. If you are doing this for NPCs

I would suggest you use the Adversary tool under the GM tools...which by the way has all the droids in it already...

I know they're there, i just felt that playing droids in the game was kind of boring, something was amiss. I mean a droid as a base program, but he could be set free to have his own will, but he had a model before. The players who wish to play droids can start as, an IG-Assassin or B-1 Battle droid, for example. I let them have the base stats in exchange for minimal starting XP (50), they can then use those XP to modifies their characters. It, of course give stronger PC, but leveling the game is not that hard. Secondly i allow my player to have droid followers, if they succeed on some mechanics, computer checks (difficulty varying on the droid) i allow them to temper with the programming of those droid, that tempering results in XP they can give to the droids, if really successful, and i mean really successful and the players give a good role-play all along the game (Character and follower) i sometimes allow that they managed to program a learning algorithm in the droid that allows the droid to gain half the PC's XP in a session, given that the droid did something worthwhile (took part in a battle and was actually useful in it, save the PC's lives, broke into something etc.) I just don't apply critical injuries on those Droids (they die). So in short that's why i edit the sub-species in droid. It's a custom game mechanic, me and my friends find it balanced and actually like things better this way. I also use the GM's tool, and i must say that this software is one of the most complete software made to support a RPG I've seen.

Edit: i allow that tempering to take place once per session, they can't spend a whole session tempering the droids over and over again, and failure as a cost, either the droid is destroyed in the process or it turns on the players, CPU errors causing the robot to go nut and somehow more dangerous than the basic one, we actually lost group members because of that,

why not just build them using base rules? just use the adversary to give direction to the build process.. no need to do what you are doing. Doing what you are doing is going to be unfair to the non droid characters.

Edited by Daeglan

So...how do you create a custom species that has options that work the same as Gand where they get 10xp for one of the options? It works if I copy Gand and use that, but it doesn't appear that I can just modify an existing species to add an option that gives XP.

If it's not obvious, I'm attempting to change Dressellians to match the Stay on Target stats. It works fine if I copy Gand and just rename stuff, but that creates two Dressellian entries in the character generator. I can't figure out how to do it by just modifying the existing Dressellians.

So...how do you create a custom species that has options that work the same as Gand where they get 10xp for one of the options? It works if I copy Gand and use that, but it doesn't appear that I can just modify an existing species to add an option that gives XP.

If it's not obvious, I'm attempting to change Dressellians to match the Stay on Target stats. It works fine if I copy Gand and just rename stuff, but that creates two Dressellian entries in the character generator. I can't figure out how to do it by just modifying the existing Dressellians.

I'm actually modifying the species editor to do this for Dressellians.  Right now, you can do it by hand by modifing an Option and adding something like this:

<StartingAttributes>
            <Experience>-10</Experience>
          </StartingAttributes>

This tells the chargen to remove 10 XP if that option is selected.  The next version will allow this in the editor, and will even modify the descriptive text to let you know there's an XP cost/bonus associated with the option.  For now, it's probably easier to just keep using the USM version of the Dressellian until the next version :)

And I'm still pondering how I'm going to do signature vehicles.  I don't want to hard code anything, and I think it would be cool to allow custom talents that can also apply changes to signature vehicles. Special attachments would be nice, but the modifications can sometimes change depending on how many ranks of a talent you have (ie, two ranks of Tuned Maneuvering Thrusters would give +2 handling, whereas one rank would give +1).  A way around that would be allowing multiple instances of Rigger attachments, which currently isn't allowed.  

Overstocked Ammo is also a nuisance.  I'm thinking it would need to perform a weapon upgrade on a particular vehicle weapon (which you can do in the vehicle pane interface).  The weapon would stay the same, it would just replace the current Limited Ammo quality with one higher.  Of course, there's no way to specify that a talent can upgrade a weapon, or to have "stock" weapon upgrades defined.  Ack.

Even selecting a signature vehicle can be tricky.  You'd need to choose a vehicle that the character has access to, which is a vehicle he owns (is part of his character), is owned by a group he belongs to, and maybe even vehicles owned by characters that belong to one of his groups.  And if things change, the vehicle needs to be verified each time anything is run to make sure it's still there and only one of them is a signature vehicle.  Major pain.

So... for now, the pondering continues :)

So in other words, you start a species with a rank of 5 in a skill, then choose a career that has that skill and select a rank to be added to it?

As Daeglan said, having a starting rank of 5 is rather odd.  The adversaries can have that because... well, they're adversaries :)  They're pre-defined "characters" already at a particular power level that don't better themselves with experience.  It's pretty universal that starting skill ranks for PCs are limited to 2 at character creation.

However... it should still verify that a skill rank can't go past 5 (or 6 with cybernetics), no matter how many ranks you get from various sources.  So even though that's a weird scenario, it should still work.  I'll play with it and see what the issue is.

So in other words, you start a species with a rank of 5 in a skill, then choose a career that has that skill and select a rank to be added to it?

As Daeglan said, having a starting rank of 5 is rather odd.  The adversaries can have that because... well, they're adversaries :)  They're pre-defined "characters" already at a particular power level that don't better themselves with experience.  It's pretty universal that starting skill ranks for PCs are limited to 2 at character creation.

However... it should still verify that a skill rank can't go past 5 (or 6 with cybernetics), no matter how many ranks you get from various sources.  So even though that's a weird scenario, it should still work.  I'll play with it and see what the issue is.

I know, it's an odd scenario and after discussing with Deaglan i'm considering to remove it, you know you try a mechanic and it turns out good/bad so you keep or you don't.

why not just build them using base rules? just use the adversary to give direction to the build process.. no need to do what you are doing. Doing what you are doing is going to be unfair to the non droid characters.

I see your point, it was something me and my friends tried, we started playing with that homemade mechanic 2 sessions ago and we're still modifying it, but we'll probably end up doing what you said. Sometimes we try stuff and it works out good sometimes it doesn't, we're giving it 2-3 more sessions to see if we manage to balance it.

Tried the webinstall (both versions dropbox and google) ....... dropbox doesnt even start downloading and google I get an error:

Folgende Fehler wurden bei diesem Vorgang entdeckt.

* [31.12.2014 21:04:05] System.Deployment.Application.DeploymentDownloadException (unbekannter Untertyp)
- 'https://8661583e0f10a01a6d8117832bcb76f3493c6e93.googledrive.com/host/0By-yXsdOqLIxYmdSdWMxQUtKUzg/SWCharGen/Application Files/SWCharGenLauncher_1_3_5_0/Documents/SWCharGen Documentation.pdf' konnte nicht heruntergeladen werden.
- Quelle: System.Deployment
- Stapelüberwachung:
bei System.Deployment.Application.SystemNetDownloader.DownloadSingleFile(DownloadQueueItem next)
bei System.Deployment.Application.SystemNetDownloader.DownloadAllFiles()
bei System.Deployment.Application.FileDownloader.Download(SubscriptionState subState)
bei System.Deployment.Application.DownloadManager.DownloadDependencies(SubscriptionState subState, AssemblyManifest deployManifest, AssemblyManifest appManifest, Uri sourceUriBase, String targetDirectory, String group, IDownloadNotification notification, DownloadOptions options)
bei System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.DownloadApplication(SubscriptionState subState, ActivationDescription actDesc, Int64 transactionId, TempDirectory& downloadTemp)
bei System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.InstallApplication(SubscriptionState& subState, ActivationDescription actDesc)
bei System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.PerformDeploymentActivation(Uri activationUri, Boolean isShortcut, String textualSubId, String deploymentProviderUrlFromExtension, BrowserSettings browserSettings, String& errorPageUrl)
bei System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.ActivateDeploymentWorker(Object state)
--- Interne Ausnahme ---
System.Net.WebException
- Der Remoteserver hat einen Fehler zurückgegeben: (404) Nicht gefunden.
- Quelle: System
- Stapelüberwachung:
bei System.Net.HttpWebRequest.GetResponse()
bei System.Deployment.Application.SystemNetDownloader.DownloadSingleFile(DownloadQueueItem next)

I've got a win7 OS 

Any clue there?

Is there a way to alter the XP costs for things (currently skill ranks in particular)? Or is that baked into the code?

Just curious b/c I am testing some changes for a rules hack using Edge and would like to be able to still use your awesome character generator.

I don't know if it's been asked for before, but I have another feature request to add to the pile.

I'd like to see the ability to give Signature Abilities to Adversaries.  Even if you create a full on character and then load them into an encounter they lose their Signature Abilities.

Tried the webinstall (both versions dropbox and google) ....... dropbox doesnt even start downloading and google I get an error:

Folgende Fehler wurden bei diesem Vorgang entdeckt.

* [31.12.2014 21:04:05] System.Deployment.Application.DeploymentDownloadException (unbekannter Untertyp)
- 'https://8661583e0f10a01a6d8117832bcb76f3493c6e93.googledrive.com/host/0By-yXsdOqLIxYmdSdWMxQUtKUzg/SWCharGen/Application Files/SWCharGenLauncher_1_3_5_0/Documents/SWCharGen Documentation.pdf' konnte nicht heruntergeladen werden.
- Quelle: System.Deployment
- Stapelüberwachung:
bei System.Deployment.Application.SystemNetDownloader.DownloadAllFiles()
bei System.Deployment.Application.FileDownloader.Download(SubscriptionState subState)
bei System.Deployment.Application.DownloadManager.DownloadDependencies(SubscriptionState subState, AssemblyManifest deployManifest, AssemblyManifest appManifest, Uri sourceUriBase, String targetDirectory, String group, IDownloadNotification notification, DownloadOptions options)
bei System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.DownloadApplication(SubscriptionState subState, ActivationDescription actDesc, Int64 transactionId, TempDirectory& downloadTemp)
bei System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.InstallApplication(SubscriptionState& subState, ActivationDescription actDesc)
bei System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.PerformDeploymentActivation(Uri activationUri, Boolean isShortcut, String textualSubId, String deploymentProviderUrlFromExtension, BrowserSettings browserSettings, String& errorPageUrl)
bei System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.ActivateDeploymentWorker(Object state)
--- Interne Ausnahme ---
System.Net.WebException
- Der Remoteserver hat einen Fehler zurückgegeben: (404) Nicht gefunden.
- Quelle: System
- Stapelüberwachung:
bei System.Net.HttpWebRequest.GetResponse()

I've got a win7 OS 

Any clue there?

The documentation file did exist in DropBox, but not in Google Drive for some strange reason.  I added it to Google Drive.  Not sure what else could be a problem.  I don't think anyone else has had a problem with 1.3.5 and DropBox.

I just noticed that if you add too many weapons (6 or 7 or more, depending on which ones) to a character and have them all set to show on the front page it causes some problems.  Some of them are simply not shown, rather than being pushed to another page or something.  The last one shown seems to have it's background color over the top of the datapad frame border of the character sheet and some of the data is lost behind the "Page 1 of X" label.  I don't really know if this is a big deal, as most people don't carry around this many weapons, but I think you could at least squeeze a tiny bit more room in for weapons if you moved the last skill from the first column (Streetwise) to the top of the second column.  This would also have the added benefit of making the columns more even.

I just noticed that if you add too many weapons (6 or 7 or more, depending on which ones) to a character and have them all set to show on the front page it causes some problems.  Some of them are simply not shown, rather than being pushed to another page or something.  The last one shown seems to have it's background color over the top of the datapad frame border of the character sheet and some of the data is lost behind the "Page 1 of X" label.  I don't really know if this is a big deal, as most people don't carry around this many weapons, but I think you could at least squeeze a tiny bit more room in for weapons if you moved the last skill from the first column (Streetwise) to the top of the second column.  This would also have the added benefit of making the columns more even.

The same thing happens if your back story is too long. It just runs right off the bottom of the page.

There's a similar issue if the skill tree text is replaced with the full text from the books.  Would it be possible to add a short and a long description to talents?  Such that the short description is displayed in the tree, but the long description is displayed in the Talents section of the printouts.

I.Have An Issue With The Zeltrons In This Generator They Can Make Non_Humanoids Marvel At Their Beauty. Drall Have An Intellect 4 Because They Like To Gossip. I Think Zeltrons Should Have A Presence 4, Brawn Due To Their Hedonistic Ways, And Drop Starting XP To 85 To Compensate

I.Have An Issue With The Zeltrons In This Generator They Can Make Non_Humanoids Marvel At Their Beauty. Drall Have An Intellect 4 Because They Like To Gossip. I Think Zeltrons Should Have A Presence 4, Brawn Due To Their Hedonistic Ways, And Drop Starting XP To 85 To Compensate

Hell The, Zeltrons Have Stopped 2 Imperial Invasions By Doing The equliviant OfAsking Nicely.Got AnotherInvading Army To Become Their Royal Chefs, And Convince Another That Was Trying To Invade Them To Turn Around And Fight Off A Third On Their Behalf. That Isn't One Advantage To Charm And Negotiate. While I Think They Should Keep Those From TheirPheromones And Empathy, That Screams Presence 4.

I replaced all of the talent entries with the full text from the books (sometimes several paragraphs) in order to avoid any potential confusion during play (it's really nice to have all the rules detailed there on the character sheet).  However, for several of the talent trees, this pushes them beyond the bottom of the page (which is likely why FFG included shorter descriptions in their tree sheets).  If we had the opportunity to enter a shorter description as well as a longer, we could display the shortened description in the tree sheets which would allow quick comparisons and in the talent section see the full text from the books.  Thus allowing the character sheets to look nice and provide excellent functionality during the game.

This should probably go in its own thread. The Zeltron in the generator was lifted from the Unofficial Species Menagerie and not related to OggDude's character generator.

I Had Put It Here Hoping To Hear His Thoughts On It, Though With 163 Pages Of Responses I Had Little Expectation Of It. That Said,I dDidn't Know They Came From A Different Source, If I Had I Wouldn't Have Posted. Thank You For That Knowledge :)

I just put all the talents, careers, etc. from Stay on Target into the data editor and I'm only able to access one of the 3 trees.  Is there some way to turn on debugging so I can see what errors (if any) are being encountered that are causing the other 2 specializations to fail to load?

As kaosoe said, Zeltrons are from Dono's Species Menagerie.  If you don't like them, go into the data editor and change them to whatever you want.

As for the trees not showing up after creating them in the data editor, you'll need to edit the Ace career and check them as being career specializations.  If you don't do that, they won't show up (although they should still be listed if you check the Non-Career Specializations radio button when purchasing a new specialization).  Also, keep in mind that they'll be included (sans descriptions) in the next release.

I replaced all of the talent entries with the full text from the books (sometimes several paragraphs) in order to avoid any potential confusion during play (it's really nice to have all the rules detailed there on the character sheet).  However, for several of the talent trees, this pushes them beyond the bottom of the page (which is likely why FFG included shorter descriptions in their tree sheets).  If we had the opportunity to enter a shorter description as well as a longer, we could display the shortened description in the tree sheets which would allow quick comparisons and in the talent section see the full text from the books.  Thus allowing the character sheets to look nice and provide excellent functionality during the game.

Yeah, but they'll just take up a lot of space on your character sheet :)  Plus, when you're playing, the shorter descriptions are quicker to read.  I know what you're saying, and one other person requested something similar last year, I think, but it's mainly redundant information and, honestly, it wasn't worth the hassle :)