OggDude

Another Character Generator

A question about the character tool. One of my players recently specced into Outlaw Tech, and wanted to use a rank in Tinkerer to add a hard point to his ship. I know there is some confusion on these forums as to whether that is acceptable within the rules. Do you have any plans to add vehicles in to the list of items that can be upgraded by the Tinkerer talent?

No plans, but I'll check to see how difficult it will be.

I know we just received a new update for your awesome character builder....thank you for your time and effort to put this together...but I was wondering when we might see the new book, Stay On Target, added to the mix?

Hi

Got a question in regards to the 1.3.5.0 version of the chargen.

I've used it without problem to generate  a few chars. Then I printed one which worked. When I tried to print a second char I got a syntax error and since then despite "reinstalling" the program again on the same machine always got the same error even with the original cahr where the printing worked.

When I open the 1.3.3.0 version instead I can print those chars without problems.

Any clue there or any known problems?

you need to uninstall 1.3.3.0 and 1.3.5.0 then install 1.3.5.0. I recommend doing the webinstall as that version will update itself when a new version comes out and avoid this problem. :)

tnx for the fast answer got a question nthere though. Originally I had the manual isntallation "just" unpacked it and run the .exe.  That means this way is the not so recommended way and can lead to these problems?

Hi

Got a question in regards to the 1.3.5.0 version of the chargen.

I've used it without problem to generate  a few chars. Then I printed one which worked. When I tried to print a second char I got a syntax error and since then despite "reinstalling" the program again on the same machine always got the same error even with the original cahr where the printing worked.

When I open the 1.3.3.0 version instead I can print those chars without problems.

Any clue there or any known problems?

you need to uninstall 1.3.3.0 and 1.3.5.0 then install 1.3.5.0. I recommend doing the webinstall as that version will update itself when a new version comes out and avoid this problem. :)

tnx for the fast answer got a question nthere though. Originally I had the manual isntallation "just" unpacked it and run the .exe.  That means this way is the not so recommended way and can lead to these problems?

that was the old way and caused these issues. Oggdude went to the web install to avoid these problems. 

As soon as I get it :)  I haven't been to my FLGS in awhile; maybe after the new year (next week).

I've got most of the new data (sans NPCs such as droids and beasts) for Stay on Target keyed in, so I can send that along to help speed up the process.  You're probably going to have to do some tweaks to the programming to account for the new Rigger talents that directly impact a vehicle/starship's stat block though.

Edited by Donovan Morningfire

Hey Ogg,

Did you ever manage to sort out some way of resolving the issue of adding new specs to a character that include new career skills, potentially refunding XP?

This has been around since the start.  Basically, the character kind of works like a spreadsheet in that every time something is changed, it gets recalculated entirely with the new changes.  This works great, except in cases where the XP cost of certain skills have to be "fixed" previous to particular skill levels, as would be the case where a skill starts out as non-career, then becomes career later on.

Honestly, I haven't come up with a solution for this yet.  However, I've also put it on the back burner because my brain labeled it as a "Major Nuisance" early on and still doesn't want to think about it :)  It's probably not as big of a nuisance as I think it is, but I just need to sit down and give it some thought.  I'll let you know :)

As soon as I get it :)  I haven't been to my FLGS in awhile; maybe after the new year (next week).

I've got most of the new data (sans NPCs such as droids and beasts) for Stay on Target keyed in, so I can send that along to help speed up the process.  You're probably going to have to do some tweaks to the programming to account for the new Rigger talents that directly impact a vehicle/starship's stat block though.

Interesting...  I'll need to take a look at the talent, but off hand, it seems like the same sort of situation with Jury Rigged, which I handled by making a special "attachment" you can add to items.  I'm assuming the talent contains a laundry list of changes that you can make to a vehicle?

Edit:  Yeah, nevermind.  I just read the Rigger tree on Doc's spec sheets and it's going to be... tricky to do this.  Off-hand, I'll probably have a "Signature Vehicle" button in the spec pane, similar to the "Char Skill" button, where you can choose your vehicle.  From there, it'll be a matter of making certain attachments available to the vehicle.  If the signature vehicle changes, all "signature" attachments on the old vehicle will be removed.  Something like that, anyway.

I'm guessing you can only have one signature vehicle at a time?  

Edited by OggDude

Hey Ogg,

Did you ever manage to sort out some way of resolving the issue of adding new specs to a character that include new career skills, potentially refunding XP?

Just out of curiosity...Would you get a refund?  I mean if you already paid for a skill and then later on add a spec. that makes that skill a career skill, you wouldnt get a refund because you already bought it.

IE, my PC is going to become a Gunslinger when the smuggler book comes out.  I have 4 ranks in Ranged Lt.  If I bought the 5th rank now, it would be 30xp since it is not in my career skill (Pilot).  I am saving my xp now so that when GS comes out, I can save that 5 xp because I figure that Ranged Lt would be a career skill then.   But I wouldnt get the 15xp that I overspent on the skill originally.

Unless someone can tell me different.

The nature of the character generator is that it just represents the costs of your skills and talents as based on the state of your character at this exact moment.

So if you bought a rank of a non-career skill for 10xp, and then it became a career skill later, it would be as if you had spent 5xp on the skill rank instead of 10xp. You'd go from having 0 unspent xp to having 5 unspent xp.

The only real alternatives would be to code in something that records how much a skill rank cost at the time you bought it, such as recording an expenditure of 10xp to buy one rank in a non-career skill. This would cause problems if you wanted to edit your character later.

Another possible solution would be to have a way to 'freeze' your character's expenditures, so that instead of being evaluated dynamically at any given moment, the exact state of your character's purchases and unspent xp would be frozen in place. Then any changes you make wouldn't affect purchases retroactively. This also would be problematic.

I think the best solution is just to edit your character's unspent XP after you buy the new specialization or talent that makes something a career skill where it wasn't before. Just edit the total amount of XP so that you have 0 unspent.

Yeah, I can work on it manually as it isn't a big issue in the wider scheme of things. Although I will have to explain to any players that feel they have mysteriously lost XP.

As you say it might be an idea to either freeze XP spent when adding a new spec, which means making it clear that you won't be able to rebuild the character after this point, or calculating XP based on how much each skill point costs.

Based on all of the things that Og has been able to include it seems like quite a small thing to include but I have no idea how he would do it and he knows most about how much of a problem it would be. If only I had his skills and patience and devotion to this community.

Interesting...  I'll need to take a look at the talent, but off hand, it seems like the same sort of situation with Jury Rigged, which I handled by making a special "attachment" you can add to items.  I'm assuming the talent contains a laundry list of changes that you can make to a vehicle?

Edit:  Yeah, nevermind.  I just read the Rigger tree on Doc's spec sheets and it's going to be... tricky to do this.  Off-hand, I'll probably have a "Signature Vehicle" button in the spec pane, similar to the "Char Skill" button, where you can choose your vehicle.  From there, it'll be a matter of making certain attachments available to the vehicle.  If the signature vehicle changes, all "signature" attachments on the old vehicle will be removed.  Something like that, anyway.

I'm guessing you can only have one signature vehicle at a time?  

That is correct, only one Signature Vehicle at a given time.  The PC can change it if the selected vehicle is lost or destroyed, but that's not much of a concern where the CharGen program's concerned.

Once I get the rest of the NPCs built, I'll shoot you a PM with the link to the files if you'd like.  Be one less thing you'd have to worry about in terms of accounting for the new material.

Tried the webinstall (both versions dropbox and google) ....... dropbox doesnt even start downloading and google I get an error:

Folgende Fehler wurden bei diesem Vorgang entdeckt.

* [31.12.2014 21:04:05] System.Deployment.Application.DeploymentDownloadException (unbekannter Untertyp)
- 'https://8661583e0f10a01a6d8117832bcb76f3493c6e93.googledrive.com/host/0By-yXsdOqLIxYmdSdWMxQUtKUzg/SWCharGen/Application Files/SWCharGenLauncher_1_3_5_0/Documents/SWCharGen Documentation.pdf' konnte nicht heruntergeladen werden.
- Quelle: System.Deployment
- Stapelüberwachung:
bei System.Deployment.Application.SystemNetDownloader.DownloadSingleFile(DownloadQueueItem next)
bei System.Deployment.Application.SystemNetDownloader.DownloadAllFiles()
bei System.Deployment.Application.FileDownloader.Download(SubscriptionState subState)
bei System.Deployment.Application.DownloadManager.DownloadDependencies(SubscriptionState subState, AssemblyManifest deployManifest, AssemblyManifest appManifest, Uri sourceUriBase, String targetDirectory, String group, IDownloadNotification notification, DownloadOptions options)
bei System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.DownloadApplication(SubscriptionState subState, ActivationDescription actDesc, Int64 transactionId, TempDirectory& downloadTemp)
bei System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.InstallApplication(SubscriptionState& subState, ActivationDescription actDesc)
bei System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.PerformDeploymentActivation(Uri activationUri, Boolean isShortcut, String textualSubId, String deploymentProviderUrlFromExtension, BrowserSettings browserSettings, String& errorPageUrl)
bei System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.ActivateDeploymentWorker(Object state)
--- Interne Ausnahme ---
System.Net.WebException
- Der Remoteserver hat einen Fehler zurückgegeben: (404) Nicht gefunden.
- Quelle: System
- Stapelüberwachung:
bei System.Net.HttpWebRequest.GetResponse()
bei System.Deployment.Application.SystemNetDownloader.DownloadSingleFile(DownloadQueueItem next)

I've got a win7 OS 

Hi, I found an action that causes an error message, ''Index was outside the bounds of the array''. I edited the sub-species under droid in order for the sub-species to match the adversaries stats, but some of them get 5 ranks in certain skills from the start. Up to that point everything is fine, but when i go the Character Generator, under career, if i check a skill that already has 5 ranks it generates the error. I can manually work around that by not checking those skills, so it's still perfectly usable i just thought you would like to know about it. If you need it have a copy of the error's details.

Thanks OGGdude, that software is awesome.

Hi, I found an action that causes an error message, ''Index was outside the bounds of the array''. I edited the sub-species under droid in order for the sub-species to match the adversaries stats, but some of them get 5 ranks in certain skills from the start. Up to that point everything is fine, but when i go the Character Generator, under career, if i check a skill that already has 5 ranks it generates the error. I can manually work around that by not checking those skills, so it's still perfectly usable i just thought you would like to know about it. If you need it have a copy of the error's details.

player characters cannot start with more than 2 ranks in a skill. so trying to make a subspecies that does that is likely the cause of the error.

Thanks Oggdude this is awesome.

Does anyone know if this works on A Samsung Galaxy tab?

galaxy tabs are android so this will be a no go. you would need a windows 8 pro tablet. this program is a windows only program.

player characters cannot start with more than 2 ranks in a skill. so trying to make a subspecies that does that is likely the cause of the error.

No, after testing it only happens with those that have 5 ranks, cause you can manage your level up with the software. The same sub-specy doesn't cause that error on skills that have more than 2 as long as there isn't 5 ranks. 

No, after testing it only happens with those that have 5 ranks, cause you can manage your level up with the software. The same sub-specy doesn't cause that error on skills that have more than 2 as long as there isn't 5 ranks. 

I have to ask why are you trying to put adversary stuff in the character generator? Adversaries do not follow the same rules as PCs. If you are doing this for NPCs

I would suggest you use the Adversary tool under the GM tools...which by the way has all the droids in it already...