OggDude

Another Character Generator

I forgot that data transfer button was there.

I think his problem was he uses the program on multiple computers personally, but characters are not sharing. He will still need to be mindful of accidentally overwriting characters due to the filenames. I know because I have a similar set up and did overwrite one of my characters by not using export/import.

If you're using cloud storage, just set up a sharable directory and give your players access to it, if you want them to be able to edit their characters.  Since you already have characters and other info stored on your computer, what you'll need to do is transfer your existing data to your cloud storage.  First, launch the launcher and click "Data Folder".  That'll bring up your current data directory in an Explorer window.  Then, check "More Options" and click "Transfer".  When it asks for your old data location, find the path to your data directory, displayed at the top of the Explorer window.  When it asks for your new location, select the sharable folder from the local cache of your cloud storage.  It'll then ZIP up your current directory for safe keeping, then copy everything from the old location to the new cloud storage location, then set your data location to the new folder.  After that, your data folder will be located on your cloud storage and contain everything you've already added.

For everyone else, what they'll need to do is click "Data Path", then set the path for the data folder to their own copy of the shared cloud folder in their own cache directory.  Once they do that, they'll be able to access the same characters and everything else from their own computer.

Thanks everyone for your responses, and thanks OggDude for your detailed response.  Will let you know later if I am successful.  I don't need the other player's to add their characters.  But I am designing my campaign on my home computer but then using my Surface Pro when I am actually at the location where we game.  I just need to be able to access the info for adversaries that I created on the Surface even when I created it elsewhere.  These instructions sound like exactly what I needed.  :D

If you're using cloud storage, just set up a sharable directory and give your players access to it, if you want them to be able to edit their characters.  Since you already have characters and other info stored on your computer, what you'll need to do is transfer your existing data to your cloud storage.  First, launch the launcher and click "Data Folder".  That'll bring up your current data directory in an Explorer window.  Then, check "More Options" and click "Transfer".  When it asks for your old data location, find the path to your data directory, displayed at the top of the Explorer window.  When it asks for your new location, select the sharable folder from the local cache of your cloud storage.  It'll then ZIP up your current directory for safe keeping, then copy everything from the old location to the new cloud storage location, then set your data location to the new folder.  After that, your data folder will be located on your cloud storage and contain everything you've already added.

For everyone else, what they'll need to do is click "Data Path", then set the path for the data folder to their own copy of the shared cloud folder in their own cache directory.  Once they do that, they'll be able to access the same characters and everything else from their own computer.

Would it be possible to set it up to save files in multiple locations? I am in multiple games and it would be nice be able to save in different locations for different games. 

Sorry I am trying to set this up in VMWare on my Mac, but I only have Windows XP there (unlike Win7 on my old lappy), does this not work with XP?

Is there a way to get it to work with XP?

Any help would be great on this :)

Sorry I am trying to set this up in VMWare on my Mac, but I only have Windows XP there (unlike Win7 on my old lappy), does this not work with XP?

Is there a way to get it to work with XP?

Any help would be great on this :)

I've been using it on XP with an ancient laptop on its last legs. When I get home I'll tell you the service pack and everything I have to see if that helps.

SP 3 on VMware XP 32bit did not work.

Le sigh... Oh well, I'll keep using the old lappy for now.

No chance this can be ported to OSX eh?

None. Uses microsoft libraries. Edited by Daeglan

Le sigh... Oh well, I'll keep using the old lappy for now.

It is written in what was a Windows exclusive language/format (I'm no programmer). Recently, Microsoft announced they would be porting that format to other operating systems (OS, Linux, Android). However I don't think that has happened yet, nor do I know what oggdude would have to do to get this over to Apple systems once it does. Edited by rowdyoctopus

Le sigh...  Oh well, I'll keep using the old lappy for now.

This seems like it should have worked.  Keep in mind that this app is pretty hungry for RAM so you might need to tweak your VM if you have the resources to spare.  I'll get some more definite numbers once I have a newer, more powerful machine.  

I too pine for an OSX (or gasp, online) version but Oggdude is but one man.  Thus far nobody has stepped up to help - what we need is some sort of farmer with a lot of web skills that wants to get off that rock before the next harvest.

Problem. Hopefully someone will tell me I'm just doing something wrong and this isn't a new bug.

Add/Modify Attachment screen. I'm wanting to use, "Special Dice for Skills", when making a new Item Attachment. I can't get anything to display. Ex: Select Boost, click a skill, nothing shows in the Preview window at all. If I go ahead and click Add, it simply Adds whatever was in the Select Standard Mod menu. If that menu is blank, the Add button is grayed out (since there is nothing to add - special dice for skills not showing).

I've looked over the PDF instructions and can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.

I finally got around to messing with attachments, so hopefully I'm now qualified to answer your question.

Let's say you want to make an attachment that makes your gun look really scary to help you Negotiate better.  When you get to the "Add or Modify Attachment Mod" screen select "Add Boost" under "Special Dice For Skills".  Then check the box for Negotiation.  Then in the "Enter Ad Hoc..." text box write a suitable description for this Mod.  I suggest "Scary good at haggling".  Now when you Add the Mod it will add the bonuses you chose and description you wrote rather than one of the many selectable defaults such as "Accurate Quality".

It definitely took a bit to figure out and could be a little more intuitive.  If you still need help, or if my slightly silly answer is confusing, just let me know.

Problem. Hopefully someone will tell me I'm just doing something wrong and this isn't a new bug.

Add/Modify Attachment screen. I'm wanting to use, "Special Dice for Skills", when making a new Item Attachment. I can't get anything to display. Ex: Select Boost, click a skill, nothing shows in the Preview window at all. If I go ahead and click Add, it simply Adds whatever was in the Select Standard Mod menu. If that menu is blank, the Add button is grayed out (since there is nothing to add - special dice for skills not showing).

I've looked over the PDF instructions and can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.

I finally got around to messing with attachments, so hopefully I'm now qualified to answer your question.

Let's say you want to make an attachment that makes your gun look really scary to help you Negotiate better.  When you get to the "Add or Modify Attachment Mod" screen select "Add Boost" under "Special Dice For Skills".  Then check the box for Negotiation.  Then in the "Enter Ad Hoc..." text box write a suitable description for this Mod.  I suggest "Scary good at haggling".  Now when you Add the Mod it will add the bonuses you chose and description you wrote rather than one of the many selectable defaults such as "Accurate Quality".

It definitely took a bit to figure out and could be a little more intuitive.  If you still need help, or if my slightly silly answer is confusing, just let me know.

Thank you very much. Yes it needs a note like, "make sure to add a description". I had assumed clicking the boxes was going to add a description automatically,

I'm getting a CTD when attempting to launch the generator or GM tools, whether through the launcher or not. I've tried it with .net 4.0 and 4.5.1 with the same result, and have also tried installing SSCE 4.0 directly, since the error references one of its assemblies (I know, they're packaged with the generator).

Here's the full error text:

Application: SWCharGen.exe
Framework Version: v4.0.30319
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: System.Data.SqlServerCe.SqlCeException
Stack:
   at System.Data.SqlServerCe.NativeMethods.LoadNativeBinaries()
   at System.Data.SqlServerCe.SqlCeEngine..ctor()
   at SWCharGen.CacheList`2[[system.__Canon, mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089],[system.__Canon, mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089]]..ctor(System.String, SWCharGen.CharData)
   at SWCharGen.CharListLoader..ctor(SWCharGen.CharData)
   at SWCharGen.Form1.CreateCharacterPanel(SWCharGen.CharacterDisplay)
   at SWCharGen.Form1.MyChar_CharacterChanged(System.Object, SWCharGen.CharEventArgs)
   at SWCharGen.Character.ChangeCharacter(ChangeEnum)
   at SWCharGen.Character.Recalc(ChangeEnum)
   at SWCharGen.Character.NewCharacter()
   at SWCharGen.Form1..ctor()
   at SWCharGen.Program.Main()

This is on Windows 7 x64.

Here's a list of things I've fixed for the next version.  If I'm missing something, please let me know:

• Lightsaber hilts that have a 0 base damage were being treated like melee/brawl weapons and having the base characteristic added to damage.  This no longer happens.
  • Clicking on a Cyber cell in the skill grid would cause an error.  This has been fixed.
  • Certain cells in the skill grid were incorrectly enabled for editing.  You can no longer change the values of these cells.
  • Comm Jammer's rarity was incorrect.  It is now rarity 3.
  • Talent editor can now set a talent as a Force talent (requiring a FR of 1+ to use).
  • The Fusion Cutter had an older page reference to the AoR beta.  It has been updated to the AoR Core Rulebook.
  • If Reflect or Parry talents are selected, their values will be displayed under "Soak" on the first page of the character sheet.

FaD Update #9:

• Changed Control and Ranged in Heal/Harm.
  • Changed Strength upgrades and costs in Protect/Unleash.

FaD Update #10:

• Updated Delta-12 Skysprite, Civilian Pathfinder, HT-2200, and IR-3F vehicles.

FaD Update #11:

• Modified Electrostaff, Ancient Sword, Cortosis Shield, and Cortosis Sword.
  • Changed prices of ancient talismans.

If I'm missing something, please let me know

If you select the option to ignore the Force rating requirement for Morality, selecting credits for your bonus works fine but XP does not. XP seems to work fine for characters with Force rating.

Thanks for the update(s)!

Edited by Alatar1313

Here's a list of things I've fixed for the next version.  If I'm missing something, please let me know:

• Lightsaber hilts that have a 0 base damage were being treated like melee/brawl weapons and having the base characteristic added to damage.  This no longer happens.
  • Clicking on a Cyber cell in the skill grid would cause an error.  This has been fixed.
  • Certain cells in the skill grid were incorrectly enabled for editing.  You can no longer change the values of these cells.
  • Comm Jammer's rarity was incorrect.  It is now rarity 3.
  • Talent editor can now set a talent as a Force talent (requiring a FR of 1+ to use).
  • The Fusion Cutter had an older page reference to the AoR beta.  It has been updated to the AoR Core Rulebook.
  • If Reflect or Parry talents are selected, their values will be displayed under "Soak" on the first page of the character sheet.

FaD Update #9:

• Changed Control and Ranged in Heal/Harm.
  • Changed Strength upgrades and costs in Protect/Unleash.

FaD Update #10:

• Updated Delta-12 Skysprite, Civilian Pathfinder, HT-2200, and IR-3F vehicles.

FaD Update #11:

• Modified Electrostaff, Ancient Sword, Cortosis Shield, and Cortosis Sword.
  • Changed prices of ancient talismans.

Can we get perception and vigilance on the group sheet