OggDude

Another Character Generator

If I have *no* Duty Options selected in a fresh new character, the Obligations Options are still grayed-out in 1.3.4.0.

It's a big 'ol bug.

No, its not. I have never created a character with Duty, but I assume this works the same way.

Where it says "Starting Obligation" put in the amount you would <i>normally</i> start with in your game if you did not take any extra obligation. This is a game term. Starting Obligation is how much every character in your game must start with, at minimum.

Then add your obligation(s). Increase the magnitude to the desired value. Once you are 5 obligation over the Starting Obligation, the options for +5 XP or +500 starting credits will be available for you to select. Once you are 10 obligation over the Starting Obligation, the options for +10 XP and +1000 credits will be available. This is assuming you didn't already click one of the previous options. To be fair, I have not tried this with multiple Obligations.

If the options were not greyed out from the start, uninformed players would end up with extra XP or credits without taking the required obligation. Once you increase your obligation to the correct level, the options are there to select.

Edited by rowdyoctopus

As far as I can tell all Duty and Obligation options are working correctly. The only problem I can see is that it will let you both decrease your Duty and increase your Obligation on the same character which doesn't quite follow the rules for using both on page 342 of AoR.

I also just messed around with it. Obligation is working fine. Duty, since you start high and reduce it to get XP or credits, has the options not greyed out by default. Once you add a duty, as long as it is not 5+ less than the starting duty, the options will immediately grey out.

If anything should/could be fixed it would be greying out the duty options by default and then preventing you from taking both duty and obligation bonuses, as mentioned. I don't think these are necessary fixes though, and they definitely are not bugs.

After much tinkering, I've managed to un-gray the 1st and 3rd Obligation Options in versions 1.3.4.0. ...and was able to quickly whip up a character with a +5 starting XP grant from a 5pt obligation and a +15 more from fifteen points worth of duties (for 130 total starting in a human).*

The gray-out bug is still there, however, as it wouldn't let do the same thing backwards with 5pts duty and 15pts obligation (I cannot for the life of me get the +10 and +2,500 credits options to un-gray for Obligfations.)

After much tinkering, I've managed to un-gray the 1st and 3rd Obligation Options in versions 1.3.4.0. ...and was able to quickly whip up a character with a +5 starting XP grant from a 5pt obligation and a +15 more from fifteen points worth of duties (for 130 total starting in a human).*

The gray-out bug is still there, however, as it wouldn't let do the same thing backwards with 5pts duty and 15pts obligation (I cannot for the life of me get the +10 and +2,500 credits options to un-gray for Obligfations.)

What is your campaign's starting obligation? You do know there is a max amount of obligation you can start with, correct?

If the starting Obligation for your character is 20, set that number, then add Obligations that add up to at least 30.  You should now have all the checkboxes available.

(I suppose I should ask: am I talking to a Dev, or just another mortal bloke like me?)

Be aware that there are many helpful people on this thread, but unless you hear otherwise, I would assume that OggDude is the only developer you're likely to be talking to regarding his program.

:)

If the starting Obligation for your character is 20, set that number, then add Obligations that add up to at least 30.  You should now have all the checkboxes available.

...which is buggy in a way exactly opposite of the Duty page (which lets you snags free XP merely by tinkering startng size, with actually selecting any duties.

Properly jerry-rigged, I can finally check boxes in Obligations -- but notice that the checkmarks remain if the chosen obligations are subsequently deleted.

Your Obligation level can change after character creation, but you will still have the extra XP or credits you got.  Duty is supposed to work backwards.  You set the starting level to 20 (or whatever) then subtract some by setting the checkboxes.  It is possible to not have any Duty when you are done with character creation and then gain some later.

...which is buggy in a way exactly opposite of the Duty page (which lets you snags free XP merely by tinkering startng size, with actually selecting any duties.

Properly jerry-rigged, I can finally check boxes in Obligations -- but notice that the checkmarks remain if the chosen obligations are subsequently deleted.

None of this is bugged. It is all working as intended and according to the rules.

Problem. Hopefully someone will tell me I'm just doing something wrong and this isn't a new bug.

Add/Modify Attachment screen. I'm wanting to use, "Special Dice for Skills", when making a new Item Attachment. I can't get anything to display. Ex: Select Boost, click a skill, nothing shows in the Preview window at all. If I go ahead and click Add, it simply Adds whatever was in the Select Standard Mod menu. If that menu is blank, the Add button is grayed out (since there is nothing to add - special dice for skills not showing).

I've looked over the PDF instructions and can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.

Bumpity bump.

Wow, lots of activity!  Sorry I've been away from the forums for awhile.  Lots of family stuff going on around the holidays.  Looks like I have about 5 pages of requests/bugs to look at :)  I'll see if I can get some time to go over them and get an update out, but I can't estimate when that will be.

Obligation and Duty work as designed, as far as I know.  The rules are a bit complicated, so I actually go over how they all work in the FAQ.  You can select options for both Obligation and Duty if you want.  I'm not sure if the rules actually say anywhere that you can only select one or the other but not both.  If so, just select one of them :)  If I enforced this, someone would probably request that I not do that :)  I do try to make the generator as flexible as possible, but you still need the books and a GM that sets guidelines as to how he wants characters created for his game.

Back to Duty and Obligation, there is one rule that I have an option for NOT enforcing, and that's the rule that states that you're limited in options based on the starting Obligation.  That is, if you select a starting size of 10, you can only select 10 points worth of options, even if your character has, say, 30 obligation that would normally allow 20 (30 - 10 = 20 extra points for options).  You can turn this off using the Options button if you want access to the full 20 (or whatever).

For clarification...YES, in the AoR book, it has in Duty rules, that you can either use Obligation or Duty or Both when starting a new AoR campaign w/ a PC from EotE.  So it IS stated in the rules :D  :ph34r: NONJA!

Edited by Lancer999

Hey there -

Great software! I just finished weeks of painstaking entry of all the data into the editor, and now I find that I can't figure out how to make the app see the edited data. Any suggestions? I've been looking over the pdf and can't puzzle it out.

Regards,

Joel 

Hey there -

Great software! I just finished weeks of painstaking entry of all the data into the editor, and now I find that I can't figure out how to make the app see the edited data. Any suggestions? I've been looking over the pdf and can't puzzle it out.

Regards,

Joel 

After you put something in the data editor, it should just show up in the character generator. I didn't need to do anything else. I assume you

a. are using the latest version 1.3.4.0, and

b. tried exiting out of everything and opening it up again?

If that doesn't solve your problem, try copying/moving all the data into the "default" dataset in your data editor if it's not already there maybe?

Edited by Alatar1313

Hey there -

Regards,

Joel

Are the files saved in the proper folder?

In OggDude's character generator, sometimes I get black squares (with a red line?) in them at the end of a skill, what do they mean exactly?

I am confused?

Also I saw one that gave me a Blue Box (which I assume is a Boost Die), can someone please explain what's going on here?

Thanks

The blue squares are boost die given by certain talents.

The black dice with the red lines means "remove a setback". Review your purchased talents and things should become clearer to you.

The blue and black squares are coming from a talent or a piece of gear you have. And as previously mentioned, if the black square has a red line that means you can remove a setback die from checks of that skill. Each black square with a red line represents a single removal, if that wasn't obvious. If you can remove two setback you will have two black boxes with red lines.

OK, there are 157 pages on this topic, which is too much to try to read through.  So if my question is already asked/answered somewhere in here, I apologize. 

I am using this character generator- it is absolutely amazing btw.  I use OneDrive as the default storage of all my documents and related stuff, including the character generator.  While the generator and its folder full of info shows up on my various computers connected to my OneDrive, the characters I have created do not.  They are only on the computer on which I created them.  Is the information stored elsewhere (a different folder that also needs placed in OneDrive), or is there some other issue?  Anyone else experienced this?  Thoughts?

OK, there are 157 pages on this topic, which is too much to try to read through.  So if my question is already asked/answered somewhere in here, I apologize. 

I am using this character generator- it is absolutely amazing btw.  I use OneDrive as the default storage of all my documents and related stuff, including the character generator.  While the generator and its folder full of info shows up on my various computers connected to my OneDrive, the characters I have created do not.  They are only on the computer on which I created them.  Is the information stored elsewhere (a different folder that also needs placed in OneDrive), or is there some other issue?  Anyone else experienced this?  Thoughts?

Now I do not know the answer to this question, I can say, that the program to open & edit your PC needs to be on the same computer.  But to look at said PC all you have to do is save it as a PDF and then you can open it anywhere that has adobe.

OK, there are 157 pages on this topic, which is too much to try to read through. So if my question is already asked/answered somewhere in here, I apologize.

I am using this character generator- it is absolutely amazing btw. I use OneDrive as the default storage of all my documents and related stuff, including the character generator. While the generator and its folder full of info shows up on my various computers connected to my OneDrive, the characters I have created do not. They are only on the computer on which I created them. Is the information stored elsewhere (a different folder that also needs placed in OneDrive), or is there some other issue? Anyone else experienced this? Thoughts?

On the launcher there is a button for each of the two main folders the program draws files from. It sounds like you don't have the character folder set up right. Be careful though, as characters created get the filename "char01" and so on, in order. So copying one character from one program to another can overwrite your other characters.

Your best bet is to export all your characters and then import them into the shared folder once you get that working using the import and export buttons in the program.

Edited by rowdyoctopus

If you're using cloud storage, just set up a sharable directory and give your players access to it, if you want them to be able to edit their characters.  Since you already have characters and other info stored on your computer, what you'll need to do is transfer your existing data to your cloud storage.  First, launch the launcher and click "Data Folder".  That'll bring up your current data directory in an Explorer window.  Then, check "More Options" and click "Transfer".  When it asks for your old data location, find the path to your data directory, displayed at the top of the Explorer window.  When it asks for your new location, select the sharable folder from the local cache of your cloud storage.  It'll then ZIP up your current directory for safe keeping, then copy everything from the old location to the new cloud storage location, then set your data location to the new folder.  After that, your data folder will be located on your cloud storage and contain everything you've already added.

For everyone else, what they'll need to do is click "Data Path", then set the path for the data folder to their own copy of the shared cloud folder in their own cache directory.  Once they do that, they'll be able to access the same characters and everything else from their own computer.