OggDude

Another Character Generator

I have a couple feature requests related to recent comments and questions in this thread.

Can we get a setting to change the default font?  I don't mind the lettering but the numbers being at different levels kind of drives me nuts.

Any chance of getting the ability to change some of the listings on the Description tab?  Where Height applies to anyone, Hair isn't particularly useful for most species.  Either having a dropdown of options, setting the options automatically based on species, or allowing the user to type in things like "Skin Color", "Scales", or "Fur" would be quite nice.

I don't know if you would count this as a bug or not, or maybe I'm just not doing it right.  If you advance a non-career skill then take a specialization that causes that skill to become a career skill you get refunded the spent XP.

I have a couple feature requests related to recent comments and questions in this thread.

Can we get a setting to change the default font?  I don't mind the lettering but the numbers being at different levels kind of drives me nuts.

Any chance of getting the ability to change some of the listings on the Description tab?  Where Height applies to anyone, Hair isn't particularly useful for most species.  Either having a dropdown of options, setting the options automatically based on species, or allowing the user to type in things like "Skin Color", "Scales", or "Fur" would be quite nice.

I don't know if you would count this as a bug or not, or maybe I'm just not doing it right.  If you advance a non-career skill then take a specialization that causes that skill to become a career skill you get refunded the spent XP.

That last part definitely sounds like a bug. I can't imagine how you could be doing it wrong.

Thank you for this great tool.  I have been GM'ing, but another member of our group and I are going to start switching off.  So, I am working on a character and decided on a Commando.  While selecting Specializations, it will not allow me to take Armor Master [improved].  I started the tree from Point Blank, then straight to Dedication.  I then wanted to move from Heroic Fortitude to Toughened and finally Armor Master [improved].

Is there something I missed or is it a bug?  I couldn't find any info on the thread when searching.

Thanks in advance.

Thank you for this great tool.  I have been GM'ing, but another member of our group and I are going to start switching off.  So, I am working on a character and decided on a Commando.  While selecting Specializations, it will not allow me to take Armor Master [improved].  I started the tree from Point Blank, then straight to Dedication.  I then wanted to move from Heroic Fortitude to Toughened and finally Armor Master [improved].

Is there something I missed or is it a bug?  I couldn't find any info on the thread when searching.

Thanks in advance.

I just made a new character to test the tree. I went Point Blank to Strong Arm to Physical Training to Durable to Armor Master to Heroic Fortitude to Dedication. I then selected Toughened and was able to select Armor Master [improved].

Thanks in advance.

I just made a new character to test the tree. I went Point Blank to Strong Arm to Physical Training to Durable to Armor Master to Heroic Fortitude to Dedication. I then selected Toughened and was able to select Armor Master [improved].

I found the problem.  I had an older version:)  Thanks!!!

Problem. Hopefully someone will tell me I'm just doing something wrong and this isn't a new bug.

Add/Modify Attachment screen. I'm wanting to use, "Special Dice for Skills", when making a new Item Attachment. I can't get anything to display. Ex: Select Boost, click a skill, nothing shows in the Preview window at all. If I go ahead and click Add, it simply Adds whatever was in the Select Standard Mod menu. If that menu is blank, the Add button is grayed out (since there is nothing to add - special dice for skills not showing).

I've looked over the PDF instructions and can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.

Hey Ogg,

I just noticed that that the Syliure-25 Hyperdrive Sled (Pg. 255 of the CRB) isn't included in your amazing, life-altering character generator. This makes sense, considering that I first noticed that there was a small entry for the Syliure-25 Hyperdrive Sled on page 255 only seconds before.

Anyway, would this be something you'd be able to add? I suppose it would count as a vehicle upgrade...

Is there a spot on the printed character sheet which shows clearly what the character's Force Rating is?

If so I must be overlooking it.

In the talents under the force rating talent. Your force rating will be that number +1

One really cool enhancement to the generator I would like to recommend is an interactive character sheet. This would allow the windows tablet PC users of the world to be able to

1) pull up a sheet that they can view the entire character sheet through full screen.

2) be able to tab through the various pages

3) track current wound / strain

4) assign conditions or critical hits and have them affect the character sheet stats as you are affected

This could also work for GM tools

1) initiative tracker

2) interactive encounter NPC sheets

Going paperless would save my printer, it's ink, and trees around the world.

Thoughts?

Finally got it working! Love this program, took me a while to set it up, the whole flipping through pages to input the descriptions from the book, I understand why its like that, but I at least finished outlaw tech and mercenary trees, i'll fill in the rest as needed :D

Is there a spot on the printed character sheet which shows clearly what the character's Force Rating is?

In the talents under the force rating talent. Your force rating will be that number +1

Heh, that's a bit oblique, to be honest.

OggDude, I'd like to suggest adding a big spot that shows the character's actual Force Rating (rather than having to find a number in small print and add one to it :) ), the way there are spots for Wound/Strain Threshold and Characteristics.

Heh, that's a bit oblique, to be honest.

OggDude, I'd like to suggest adding a big spot that shows the character's actual Force Rating (rather than having to find a number in small print and add one to it :) ), the way there are spots for Wound/Strain Threshold and Characteristics.

I kind of agree. But I also want the parry soak and reflect soak numbers listed with the soak. So you know how much you can soak in toto.

(...concerning version 1.3.4.0....)

Bug: Duty > Duty Options > "Starting Size" ....it's possible to select a starting size and check a box BEFORE selecting the New button -- this results in problems if you do so, then go ahead and select New.

Bug: Obligations > Obligation Options > "Starting Size" ...all four checkboxes "remain grayed-out" mo matter what value is selected.

Bug: It does not appear possible to select +10 starting XP more than once even with multiple Duties and/or Obligations, even though 20 points worth is the default for two-PC parties (or, as always, or even more, with GM's discretion).

Concern: Options > Select Resources ...both Beta and Core rulebooks are checked by default; this should probably be fixed to Core default by now, with the Betas available, but turned off.

Annoyance: In both Duties and Obligations, the word "size" appears in two different areas (and is manually adjustable in sub-5pt imcrements in the table if a named item is selected after New is clicked), which is immensely confusing all around due to lack of explanation (i.e., no "click it and explanatory text appears"). I hope you can address this in future versions.

Missing: the (really important!) Recruit universal specialization does not appear on the list.

Edited by Mike18xx

(...concerning version 1.3.4.0....)

Bug: Obligations > Obligation Options > "Starting Size" ...all four checkboxes "remain grayed-out" mo matter what value is selected.

Bug: It does not appear possible to select +10 starting XP more than once even with multiple Duties and/or Obligations, even though 20 points worth is the default for two-PC parties (or, as always, or even more, with GM's discretion).

Concern: Options > Select Resources ...both Beta and Core rulebooks are checked by default; this should probably be fixed to Core default by now, with the Betas available, but turned off.

With the obligation, select your starting size. Then put in your obligation and the size it is. If you want to take more obligation for credits or XP, increase the size now. Once you are 5 over the starting size, the check boxes for 5 obligation are no longer greyed out. Once you are 10 over the starting size, the other two will no longer be greyed out.

As for selecting each one multiple times, I am fairly certain the rules say you can only select each option once.

Finally, I agree the AoR Beta probably shouldn't be on by default, but the FaD CRB is not out yet, only the beta.

With the obligation, select your starting size....

The problem is that the generator will let you do it wrong -- and wrong is the most intuitive way to do it.  For example, there's no reason to assume that Size on top has to be messed with at all if things happen when you goof around with Size at the bottom.

Factor in many newb players having little knoweldge of the rules OTHER than this character generator (which their GM directed them to, as he's the only with books, and the last two players to round-out his group he press-ganged 36hrs before game-time, and they've never heard of Fantasy Flight before), ....and you can see where I'm going with this.

Anything that is permitted to be wrong WILL be done wrong.

-- I strongly recommend having the entire XYZ Options field (with its four choices) grayed-out UNTIL AFTER the user has clicked New and selected something. Otherwise it's drop-dead simple to, on a new character, immediately toggle Starting Size to 15 and select +5 and +10 starting XP without any named duty or obligation appearing on the printed-out character sheet.

(I suppose I should ask: am I talking to a Dev, or just another mortal bloke like me?)

obligation are no longer greyed out. Once you are 10 over the starting size, the other two will no longer be greyed out.

I am unable able to get the Obligation Options checkboxes to "ungray" in 1.3.4.0 no what dinking around I do, even with a blank new character, either before or after clicking New and adjusting Size (in the top field) to any number from zero to 30, or Starting Size to any available choice.

As for selecting each one multiple times, I am fairly certain the rules say you can only select each option once.

Well, you're supposed to have one total score, but AFAIK the rules do not preclude splinting it up as much as you want. For instance, the Glitterstim-addicted pilot with a bounty on his head because he spends all his money on dope rather than paying off the loansharks, oh, and the Empire is after him too because his girlfriend's a Rebel...

Almost every player I know cognizant of obligations and duties takes as many "five-pointers" as he can. Because three five-pointers are hella more fun than one fifteen-pointer. GMs like 'em too, for the RP variety. I.e., it's not always the same old hutts-are-after-Jim again when he hits the Obligations table.

I've played games where four players started with 20 points-worth apiece, and we winged it even with us getting "hit" almost session...it was a blast.

Edited by Mike18xx

With the obligation, select your starting size....

The problem is that the generator will let you do it wrong -- and wrong is the most intuitive way to do it.  For example, there's no reason to assume that Size on top has to be messed with at all if things happen when you goof around with Size at the bottom.

Factor in many newb players having little knoweldge of the rules OTHER than this character generator (which their GM directed them to, as he's the only with books, and the last two players to round-out his group he press-ganged 36hrs before game-time, and they've never heard of Fantasy Flight before), ....and you can see where I'm going with this.

Anything that is permitted to be wrong WILL be done wrong.

-- I strongly recommend having the entire XYZ Options field (with its four choices) grayed-out UNTIL AFTER the user has clicked New and selected something. Otherwise it's drop-dead simple to, on a new character, immediately toggle Starting Size to 15 and select +5 and +10 starting XP without any named duty or obligation appearing on the printed-out character sheet.

(I suppose I should ask: am I talking to a Dev, or just another mortal bloke like me?)

obligation are no longer greyed out. Once you are 10 over the starting size, the other two will no longer be greyed out.

I am unable able to get the Obligation Options checkboxes to "ungray" in 1.3.4.0 no what dinking around I do, even with a blank new character, either before or after clicking New and adjusting Size (in the top field) to any number from zero to 30, or Starting Size to any available choice.

Well, you're supposed to have one total score, but AFAIK the rules do not preclude splinting it up as much as you want. For instance, the Glitterstim-addicted pilot with a bounty on his head because he spends all his money on dope rather than paying off the loansharks, oh, and the Empire is after him too because his girlfriend's a Rebel...

Almost every player I know cognizant of obligations and duties takes as many "five-pointers" as he can. Because three five-pointers are hella more fun than one fifteen-pointer. GMs like 'em too, for the RP variety. I.e., it's not always the same old hutts-are-after-Jim again when he hits the Obligations table.

I've played games where four players started with 20 points-worth apiece, and we winged it even with us getting "hit" almost session...it was a blast.

I'm just another dude trying to help because I use the program a lot. I'm not involved in development at all.

To be honest, I'm not getting your second point. The system let's you take multie obligations (as you describe in your second post). The system will not let you take multiples of the additional XP or credits options (as you seemed to describe in your first post). You can only take each one once.

I was posting my info from memory. When I get home from work, if no one else has tried to help, I will mess around with the options and try to replicate your problem.