OggDude

Another Character Generator

My current wish-list for the generator includes a way to sort the items/ships/whatever by rarity (and maybe silhouette for ships too). For the items, I normally only use alphabetical or price (Though I see how the other options for the items are useful).

For ships I end up wanting to search by Alphabetical > Rarity > Price > Silhouette and I don't get 2 of those, and the category/type are filters that eliminate the usefulness (for me) as sorting methods.

This is just something I would find useful and it in no way is required/demanded just a "this would be cool" kind of thing.

No I mean before you goto the Print dialogue.  I know that you can specifically print pg x y z... I mean before you get to that part and turn it into a PDF

As rowdy said, you can remove those in the Options dialog.  I put them there so you didn't have to go through another dialog, like you do when you print encounters.  Encounters are a little different, since some of the saved settings are encounter-specific (like the count of PCs for creating an initiative tracker that has enough slots, or removing adversaries if all you're printing is a vehicle encounter, etc).  Generally, when printing a character, you'll want the same settings for all of your characters (such as always wanting talent trees to be included).

Ran into a bug with the GM Tools (and sorry if this has already been reported; the thread's freaking huge)

The program is not recognizing the Form Technique talents to allow the NPC to use a Characteristic other than Brawn for the Lightsaber skill.  I tried this with all five of them, and in each case the stat block based the dice pool on the NPC's Brawn.

There's a button that appears at the top of the talents list that allows you to choose the characteristic to use.  You need to select one of the technique talents, and you need to check the Lightsaber skill in order for the button to appear.

I've seen it, I've used it.

Though I should have clarified that it's the weapon listing that's defaulting to Brawn in each instance, while the skill section does use the correct Characteristic.

Hey Oggdude,

Just to let you know, the Data set import/export bug I mentioned a couple of pages back has been fixed with v1.3.3.0.

I did spot another funny with this one:

- Go to GM Tools

- Create a Minion adversary

- Go to Skills and select a couple (testing this I chose Brawl, Coercion, Perception, Ranged (Light) but I suspect any of them will work)

- Go back to the Description page and switch the type to Rival or Nemesis

- Go back to the Skills page - the skills are still selected, but they are now set to rank 0

Not a big deal in the grand scheme of things, but a few extra clicks required to clean things up again (i.e. set the skills to at least 1 - otherwise you wouldn't have selected them in the first place).  I know, the easiest solution to the problem is to not screw up and select the wrong type in the first place... :-)

Ran into a bug with the GM Tools (and sorry if this has already been reported; the thread's freaking huge)

The program is not recognizing the Form Technique talents to allow the NPC to use a Characteristic other than Brawn for the Lightsaber skill.  I tried this with all five of them, and in each case the stat block based the dice pool on the NPC's Brawn.

There's a button that appears at the top of the talents list that allows you to choose the characteristic to use.  You need to select one of the technique talents, and you need to check the Lightsaber skill in order for the button to appear.

I've seen it, I've used it.

Though I should have clarified that it's the weapon listing that's defaulting to Brawn in each instance, while the skill section does use the correct Characteristic.

Ah, that's different :)  Yeah, I wasn't using the replaced characteristic for weapons.  That's been fixed.

Hey Oggdude,

Just to let you know, the Data set import/export bug I mentioned a couple of pages back has been fixed with v1.3.3.0.

I did spot another funny with this one:

- Go to GM Tools

- Create a Minion adversary

- Go to Skills and select a couple (testing this I chose Brawl, Coercion, Perception, Ranged (Light) but I suspect any of them will work)

- Go back to the Description page and switch the type to Rival or Nemesis

- Go back to the Skills page - the skills are still selected, but they are now set to rank 0

Not a big deal in the grand scheme of things, but a few extra clicks required to clean things up again (i.e. set the skills to at least 1 - otherwise you wouldn't have selected them in the first place).  I know, the easiest solution to the problem is to not screw up and select the wrong type in the first place... :-)

Yeah, it's done that right along.  Basically, when you pick skills for a minion, it sets the skill ranks to 0.  When you make them rivals, the skills stay selected, but remain 0.  It's actually helpful so you see the 0 and don't forget to update the skill ranks.

My GMtools isn't working.  It says there is an "unhandled exception" or something. I tried reloading it but same thing happened

What's the exact error, along with four or five levels of the call stack?

My current wish-list for the generator includes a way to sort the items/ships/whatever by rarity (and maybe silhouette for ships too). For the items, I normally only use alphabetical or price (Though I see how the other options for the items are useful).

For ships I end up wanting to search by Alphabetical > Rarity > Price > Silhouette and I don't get 2 of those, and the category/type are filters that eliminate the usefulness (for me) as sorting methods.

This is just something I would find useful and it in no way is required/demanded just a "this would be cool" kind of thing.

I may not have enough room in the grids to add columns for rarity and silhouette.  I'm going to look into adding the typed-in name filter to more grids, though.

This may be a nit picky thing but I will say it anyway...(BTW YOU ARE KICKIN' @$$ IN THIS CHARACTER SHEET OGGY BEN DOGGY KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK)

Ok so on the 1st page of the char. sheet...in weapons...Aesthetically could you put the 2 weapons in a separate space??

Right now it has the weapons list......

Weapon 1

2 weapons icon..."Weapon A/Weapon B"

Weapon 2

Weapon 3

and so on.

Could it be instead...

Weapon 1

Weapon 2

Weapon 3...

<SPACE>

2 Weapon Group 1 "Weapon 1 / Weapon 2" --Notice that there is a space between the weapons that are listed in the quotes

2 Weapon Group 2 (If Any)...

Or put the 2 Weapon Group before the list of other singular weapons. (Of course with all the dice pools and other stuff)

Also the "Stun Setting" could that be the very last thing that is on the Weapon description?  If people modify their weapons I don't think that the first thing they want to see is whether or not the gun has a stun setting and then all of the mods on the weapon.

Just a suggestion take it w/ a grain of salt.  I know that I and many people use this program and IT IS AWESOME!!  So I think I speak for all of us when I say that this is great what you are doing Oggy Ben Doggy!

Oh BTW is there a way to lesson how many pages are printed in the print preview??  Instead of 5 pages that have the list of talents and such, you can select which pages you want to print before going into the Print preview dialogue?

So... you want two-weapon sets to be in a separate grid from single weapons?  Hmmm... real estate at the bottom of the first page is kind of limited.  I don't think I want to waste what little there is.

I think the weapon qualities are shown alphabetically, so "Stun Setting" should be close to the end (but before Vicious, at any rate).

Oh, and nobody's noticed yet that droids are able to take FaD careers :)  That's going to be fixed in the next release, too.

But a droid can take a F & D career, they just can't use any talents with a force rating prerequisite.

Which models things like magna droids and Grievous rather well.
By RAW, if you can't become Force sensitive, you can't take specializations (and, by extension, careers) that give you a Force rating.  EotE CRB, pg 275: "Because these species [e.g., droids] cannot become Force sensitive, they cannot select the Force Sensitive Exile specialization."

And Grievous was a cyborg, not a droid :)

I think it's actually the other way around, a droid can't take a career that gives you a a force rating, but can take an individual spec as these don't give a force rating (except the exile or emergent, which are specifically taken to give peeps access to the force). So you can't start in an F & D career but can buy in to a F & D spec, this was clarified by Sam Stewart in a recent order 66 podcast.

Exactly.  Droids can't take specializations or careers that give you a FR.  So they can't take either of the FS specs, or any career in FaD.  They can, however, take any specialization in FaD, since none of them give a FR.  They just can't use any purchased Force talents.

Well, I found and enabled the new GM Grant thing (thanks again so much for that!) but it doesn't seem to be actually giving my character a Force Rating point. I still only have the one from starting with a F&D spec and another from beelining down said spec to the Force Rating talent.

It wasn't meant to be a boost, but a grant of a 1 FR, just like if you bought into one of the Force trees or specializations.  If you already have a FR, there's no point in giving one out for free.

Okay, so there's no way of using your program (short of creating a duplicate Human species with an inherent 1FR) to represent my character for the game I'm in?

Right now that character has 3FR. 1 handed out by the GM at game start, 1 from Mystic - Advisor, and 1 from the bottom of that tree. 

I'll see if I can make the FR grant more flexible.

Well, I found and enabled the new GM Grant thing (thanks again so much for that!) but it doesn't seem to be actually giving my character a Force Rating point. I still only have the one from starting with a F&D spec and another from beelining down said spec to the Force Rating talent.

It wasn't meant to be a boost, but a grant of a 1 FR, just like if you bought into one of the Force trees or specializations.  If you already have a FR, there's no point in giving one out for free.

Okay, so there's no way of using your program (short of creating a duplicate Human species with an inherent 1FR) to represent my character for the game I'm in?

Right now that character has 3FR. 1 handed out by the GM at game start, 1 from Mystic - Advisor, and 1 from the bottom of that tree. 

I'll see if I can make the FR grant more flexible.

Awesome. I'll freely admit that this is an edge-case house-ruled scenario...and the custom species thing is working just fine for now...but the more weird crap I can use your program for, the happier little nerd I'll be!

Not so much a separate grid, but just lined up before the single weapons or after the single weapon list. with 1 space between them.

Weapon 1

Weapon 2

Weapon 3 and so on

<SPACE BREAK>

2 Weapon Group

or

2 Weapon Group

Weapon 1

Weapon 2

Weapon 3

Weapon 4 and so on

or

2 Weapon Group

<SPACE BREAK>

Weapon 1

Weapon 2

and so on

This may be a nit picky thing but I will say it anyway...(BTW YOU ARE KICKIN' @$$ IN THIS CHARACTER SHEET OGGY BEN DOGGY KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK)

Ok so on the 1st page of the char. sheet...in weapons...Aesthetically could you put the 2 weapons in a separate space??

Right now it has the weapons list......

Weapon 1

2 weapons icon..."Weapon A/Weapon B"

Weapon 2

Weapon 3

and so on.

Could it be instead...

Weapon 1

Weapon 2

Weapon 3...

<SPACE>

2 Weapon Group 1 "Weapon 1 / Weapon 2" --Notice that there is a space between the weapons that are listed in the quotes

2 Weapon Group 2 (If Any)...

Or put the 2 Weapon Group before the list of other singular weapons. (Of course with all the dice pools and other stuff)

Also the "Stun Setting" could that be the very last thing that is on the Weapon description?  If people modify their weapons I don't think that the first thing they want to see is whether or not the gun has a stun setting and then all of the mods on the weapon.

Just a suggestion take it w/ a grain of salt.  I know that I and many people use this program and IT IS AWESOME!!  So I think I speak for all of us when I say that this is great what you are doing Oggy Ben Doggy!

Oh BTW is there a way to lesson how many pages are printed in the print preview??  Instead of 5 pages that have the list of talents and such, you can select which pages you want to print before going into the Print preview dialogue?

So... you want two-weapon sets to be in a separate grid from single weapons?  Hmmm... real estate at the bottom of the first page is kind of limited.  I don't think I want to waste what little there is.

I think the weapon qualities are shown alphabetically, so "Stun Setting" should be close to the end (but before Vicious, at any rate).

Maybe just force 2 weapons too the bottom.

this is what the error is when I try to open a character in the GMtools...

See the end of this message for details on invoking
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
   at SWCharGen.EditEquipment.GetCellTWBitmap(CharWeapon cwep, Color backColor, Boolean white)
   at SWCharGen.EditEquipment.FillOwnedGrid(Boolean keepSelected, CharModdableItem newItem)
   at SWCharGen.EditEquipment.ShowEquipment()
   at SWCharGen.EditEquipment.CreateWeaponPanel()
   at SWCharGen.EditEquipment.Initialize(CharData data, List`1 equipment)
   at SWCharGen.frmAddAdversary.MyAdv_AdversaryChanged(Object sender, CharEventArgs e)
   at SWCharGen.Adversary.AdversaryChangedEventHandler.Invoke(Object sender, CharEventArgs e)
   at SWCharGen.Adversary.ChangeAdversary(ChangeEnum what)
   at SWCharGen.Adversary.Recalc(ChangeEnum what)
   at SWCharGen.Adversary.set_Type(AdversaryType value)
   at SWCharGen.frmAddAdversary.cmbType_SelectedIndexChanged(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ComboBox.OnSelectedIndexChanged(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ComboBox.set_SelectedIndex(Int32 value)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ComboBox.set_Text(String value)
   at SWCharGen.frmAddAdversary.UpdateDescription()
   at SWCharGen.frmAddAdversary.MyAdv_AdversaryChanged(Object sender, CharEventArgs e)
   at SWCharGen.Adversary.AdversaryChangedEventHandler.Invoke(Object sender, CharEventArgs e)
   at SWCharGen.frmAddAdversary.txtDescription_TextChanged(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnTextChanged(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.TextBoxBase.OnTextChanged(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.set_Text(String value)
   at System.Windows.Forms.TextBoxBase.set_Text(String value)
   at System.Windows.Forms.TextBox.set_Text(String value)
   at SWCharGen.frmAddAdversary.txtName_TextChanged(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnTextChanged(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.TextBoxBase.OnTextChanged(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.set_Text(String value)
   at System.Windows.Forms.TextBoxBase.set_Text(String value)
   at System.Windows.Forms.TextBox.set_Text(String value)
   at SWCharGen.frmAddAdversary.GetAdversary(CharData myData, AdvListLoader advLoad, IWin32Window parent, Adversary existingAdversary)
   at SWCharGen.Form1.CharacterButtonClick(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)
   at SWCharGen.ImageButton.OnClick(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
    Assembly Version: 4.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.18444 built by: FX451RTMGDR
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v4.0.30319/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------
SWCharGenGMTools
    Assembly Version: 1.3.3.0
    Win32 Version: 1.3.3.0
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Users/Lancer/Documents/RPG%20Star%20Wars/SW%20EotE/SWCharGenGMTools.exe
System.Windows.Forms
    Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.18408 built by: FX451RTMGREL
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System.Drawing
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
System
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
SWCharGenCtlLib
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Users/Lancer/Documents/RPG%20Star%20Wars/SW%20EotE/SWCharGenCtlLib.DLL
SWCharGenLib
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Users/Lancer/Documents/RPG%20Star%20Wars/SW%20EotE/SWCharGenLib.DLL
System.Core
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Core/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Core.dll
Microsoft.mshtml
    Assembly Version: 7.0.3300.0
    Win32 Version: 7.0.3300.0
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC/Microsoft.mshtml/7.0.3300.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Microsoft.mshtml.dll
System.Xml
    Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.34234 built by: FX452RTMGDR
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll
System.Configuration
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Configuration/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Configuration.dll
Microsoft.GeneratedCode
    Assembly Version: 1.0.0.0
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll
Microsoft.GeneratedCode
Microsoft.GeneratedCode
Microsoft.GeneratedCode
Microsoft.GeneratedCode
Microsoft.GeneratedCode
Microsoft.GeneratedCode
Microsoft.GeneratedCode
Microsoft.GeneratedCode
Microsoft.GeneratedCode
Microsoft.GeneratedCode
Microsoft.GeneratedCode
Microsoft.GeneratedCode
Microsoft.GeneratedCode
Microsoft.GeneratedCode
Microsoft.GeneratedCode
Microsoft.GeneratedCode
Microsoft.GeneratedCode
Microsoft.GeneratedCode
Microsoft.GeneratedCode
Microsoft.GeneratedCode
Microsoft.GeneratedCode
Microsoft.GeneratedCode
Microsoft.GeneratedCode
Microsoft.GeneratedCode
System.Data.SqlServerCe
    Assembly Version: 3.5.1.0
    Win32 Version: 3.5.5692.0
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Users/Lancer/Documents/RPG%20Star%20Wars/SW%20EotE/System.Data.SqlServerCe.DLL
System.Data
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_32/System.Data/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Data.dll
System.Transactions
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_32/System.Transactions/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Transactions.dll
System.EnterpriseServices
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_32/System.EnterpriseServices/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.EnterpriseServices.dll
Microsoft.GeneratedCode
Microsoft.GeneratedCode
Microsoft.GeneratedCode
Microsoft.GeneratedCode

************** JIT Debugging **************
To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
application or computer (machine.config) must have the
jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
The application must also be compiled with debugging
enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
    <system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
rather than be handled by this dialog box.

this is what the error is when I try to open a character in the GMtools...

See the end of this message for details on invoking

just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

I have a feeling the two weapon collection was null, which was causing this.  I check for that now, so it'll be fixed in the next release.

I know this is a bit of a stretch to ask, but any way you could include LibrarianNPCs ships in your generator the same way you did the Unofficial Species pdf?

also a more reasonable request, any way in the PC generator we could sort skills by career/non career. i can do it by every other factor but that one.

thanks, i appreciate all the work

Oh, and nobody's noticed yet that droids are able to take FaD careers :)  That's going to be fixed in the next release, too.

But a droid can take a F & D career, they just can't use any talents with a force rating prerequisite.

Unless they’re an Iron Knight, and they do actually have a Force Rating.   :D

So I was thinking it would be helpful to have in the soak box a P-(Parry soak amount)
                                                                                                   R-(Reflect Soak amount)

That way when you need to soak you have the info in one place. 

Hey Oggy, just FYI, the Weapons Descrip. Mods....They're not alphabetical...

Because I have Pierce on 2 wpns, and Stun comes first then Pierce.

"Stun Setting, Pierce 1"

They're sort of alphabetical :)  They show up in the same order that they appear in the weapon description, which is generally alphabetical.  But not always :)  So much for consistency...

By the way, I looked through the weapons, and Stun Setting is listed at the end in all but two or three places.  Of course, if you add a mod, any extra mod qualities will come after it.

Edited by OggDude

Yeah, just so that the 2 weapons have its own distinction so it is easy to identify is all :)

Two weapon sets are displayed directly below the primary weapon's row, assuming that it's "Shown" setting is checked.    So there is an order to it :)