OggDude

Another Character Generator

9,227 posts in this topic

One minor thing I've noticed, only as a GM can one select or set up talents ? Unless Im missing something shouldnt Talents be in the left hand pane under Skills but above Equipment ?

@Ni Fang They are in the specializations tab, when you go into the Character gen tab. That is when they are selected for the character.

However if you want to edit or create talents that is in the Data editer.

Cheers

I did confirm it does work I just need to recopy my lightsaber traits I took and and just make a new one so the weapon will look right. Thanks for doing the hotfix.

19 hours ago, OggDude said:

I fixed Imbue and Ebb/Flow.  It'll be in the next bug fix release.

The mentor changes will take some design work, however.  Currently, the "stock" mentor rule is applied separately for each basic power, since a character may not have had a mentor when he learned a particular power (including purchasing a power during character creation).  With the new mentor rules, this still applies, but only to particular powers and/or upgrades, and not always just the basic power.  Additionally, once a particular type of mentor is selected for a character, the character will automatically incur a drawback that costs XP to remove.

So... there's going to have to be a change to how Force powers are discounted.  More than likely, I'll need to have some sort of "mentor" check per ability, rather than just once at the top.  For instance, Dagoyan Masters can discount Control upgrades for a few powers.  But, not every Control upgrade might be discounted, depending up upon whether or not the character had this master when he bought that upgrade.

In other words, FFG really complicated the whole mentor thing :)  And as of now, I don't know how I'll end up implementing it.

Possible mockup. (Topside could have a checkbox next to mentor discount that gets them all to show up, otherwise defaults to 0 and remains hidden)

If you add a discount tag to each CharForceAbility, possibly with a checkbox at the top to enable them per force power, you could track individual discounts per grid location per character per power, and let people update manually for now.

Another annoyance from a UI aspect is temporary career skills. Pick up Medicine rank 1 as non-career, have temp access to the hologoggles and get rank 2 medicine as career, then later pickup rank 3 medicine as non-career. With just the dropdown, it doesn't quite add up. Not sure of a good way to solve that beyond being able to flag which rank is career and which isn't. 

54 minutes ago, FelixTG said:

Possible mockup. (Topside could have a checkbox next to mentor discount that gets them all to show up, otherwise defaults to 0 and remains hidden)

If you add a discount tag to each CharForceAbility, possibly with a checkbox at the top to enable them per force power, you could track individual discounts per grid location per character per power, and let people update manually for now.

Another annoyance from a UI aspect is temporary career skills. Pick up Medicine rank 1 as non-career, have temp access to the hologoggles and get rank 2 medicine as career, then later pickup rank 3 medicine as non-career. With just the dropdown, it doesn't quite add up. Not sure of a good way to solve that beyond being able to flag which rank is career and which isn't. 

I was thinking along the same lines as your mock-up, but it would probably be an icon that would bring up a dialog of some sort.

Career and non-career skills do work the way they are.  If you buy a rank non-career, the non-career column is raised by one.  Since each non-career rank increases XP by a fixed value (5), you can buy them in any order you want.  If something goes wrong, you can adjust your non-career ranks yourself.

18 hours ago, Darzil said:

Anyone else having issues with new web install?

Download is getting to 80.8 MB of 170 MB for me during setup, and then stopping and erroring out. Have tried 4 or 5 times and has stopped at same point each time.

Edit: (Same file each time - anything I need to clear out somewhere?)

Downloading https://filedn.com/lztHAyW36l7XJX76OLMTm4R/SWCharGen/Deploy/Application Files/SWCharGenLauncher_2_2_1_0/Imports/Jewel of Yavin/Adversaries/Lutrillian Merchant - Rival.xml did not succeed.
        + The operation has timed out

Same error (on same file) on another computer.

Edit - Also fails if I go to https://filedn.com/lztHAyW36l7XJX76OLMTm4R/SWCharGen/Deploy/Application Files/SWCharGenLauncher_2_2_1_0/Imports/Jewel of Yavin/Adversaries/ in browser and click on it (others around it work).

Edited by Darzil

8 hours ago, kiranar said:

this is weird anyone else have a scattergun added to your weapon sheet and cant remove it

Oops... the Mk. IV backpack pouch attachment apparently gives you a free scattergun!!  Must have cut and pasted it and forgot to remove the scattergun.  I'll fix it in the next release.

23 hours ago, OggDude said:

I was thinking along the same lines as your mock-up, but it would probably be an icon that would bring up a dialog of some sort.

Career and non-career skills do work the way they are.  If you buy a rank non-career, the non-career column is raised by one.  Since each non-career rank increases XP by a fixed value (5), you can buy them in any order you want.  If something goes wrong, you can adjust your non-career ranks yourself.

Ahh, thanks for the sanity check, when I was looking at #s I kept thinking it was 10,20,30 for some reason, not 10,15,20.

If you go with the popup, would that open up functionality for GM grants of certain chunks of force powers, or just up the discount to make them free and call it good?

//--

Tangent, somebody was asking about this the other day, couldn't find a way to make it pop up. Is there a way to get automatic success show up for a dice pool like you can with the Advantages, like for Personalized Design craft improvement. Namely so that it shows up as part of the pool on the front sheet for quick reference.

Edited by FelixTG

On 27/09/2017 at 10:13 AM, Darzil said:

Same error (on same file) on another computer.

Edit - Also fails if I go to https://filedn.com/lztHAyW36l7XJX76OLMTm4R/SWCharGen/Deploy/Application Files/SWCharGenLauncher_2_2_1_0/Imports/Jewel of Yavin/Adversaries/ in browser and click on it (others around it work).

Tested that URL file in browser today and it worked fine, so reinstalled and all fine. I guess something crazy like provider's cache corrupt on that file and I just had to wait for it to time out as no one else affected.

4 hours ago, FelixTG said:

Tangent, somebody was asking about this the other day, couldn't find a way to make it pop up. Is there a way to get automatic success show up for a dice pool like you can with the Advantages, like for Personalized Design craft improvement. Namely so that it shows up as part of the pool on the front sheet for quick reference.

Personalized Design is an odd one. It doesn't unconditionally add an automatic success, which is why it doesn't appear there. It only adds one on a success.

Anyone hear any word why the technician book with ship building was the only book not on pre order like all the other books for the RPG.

Taking Well-Traveled as a GM Grant checks it off in the Recruit tree without deducting any XP, and allows selecting the Toughened talent below it in the tree normally. However, when the character is reloaded, it shows -10 Unused XP. If Well-Traveled is unchecked, it refunds the XP and automatically checks it off again from the GM Grant, but after a save and reload unused XP will be back to -10 XP again.

6 hours ago, Darzil said:

Personalized Design is an odd one. It doesn't unconditionally add an automatic success, which is why it doesn't appear there. It only adds one on a success.

I get that, but they kept forgetting about it and not adding it. I set up a 0 HP attachment for another one so they could see the automatic advantage in the roll pool for a different, but I couldn't find any mod that would do the same for a success. Since they always hold onto their weapon, seemed like a safe enough thing to add for them. 

You can't add it onto the statline for a weapon from personalised design because it doesn't add a success to the roll. It adds a success to the roll if you already have at least one more successes than failures. If you don't, it adds nothing. (If it wasn't for the use of these skills for non combat rolls they could have just said +1 damage and it'd have been much simpler)

Or is the issue you want to add a success from some other method, rather than a conditional success? This is certainly possible, a Devaronian character I have adds one to Resilence pool.

I haven't mucked around much to work out how.

I wouldn't mind a conditional version of the icon, wrap it in [] or something to denote it isn't automatic, or character based. The same could be done for Curved Hilt and other similar effects.

I'm basically trying to think of ways to make it easier on the people doing the rolls so they don't have to go dig through a big stat block in the back pages to see all of the conditionals, which gets messy as you add more attachments and such.

But yes, the original intent was to get a mod that allows you to just add a success to the pool displayed. There's one you can do with Advantage, but not any for success that I could find. 

On 9/26/2017 at 4:34 AM, Ni Fang said:

I am now generating my Hero of Tython for a Old Republic game session me and a few friends are doing, I really like how easy this generator tool is. Though its missing the Sith Fury Interceptor, sadly FFG doesnt have any rules for that time period. At least they got the A-Wing {my favorite starfighter in ANY scifi universe!!}

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<Vehicle xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema">
  <Key>FURYCLASSINT</Key>
  <Name>Fury Class Interceptor</Name>
  <Description>[H3]Fury Class Interceptor[h3]
Featuring an advanced hyperdrive and state-of-the-art sublight engines, the Fury is the most versatile starship in the Imperial fleet and the end result of centuries of evolving design.
[BR][BR]
The modern Fury was originally conceived for use in high-priority military missions but is now used almost exclusively by Sith and outfitted accordingly. The Fury’s angular design combines the maneuverability of a fighter with impressive armament rivaling some larger military vessels.
[BR][BR]
The Fury also features a set of “strike foils” that remain down for travel but can be expanded in short-range combat to maximize the ship’s agility and range of firepower. The interior aesthetic is sleek and functional, arranged in the traditions of the Sith Academy on Korriban. Military-grade computers and communications equipment are integrated into the ship’s hardware, and hidden security devices make sabotage extremely difficult and dangerous.</Description>
  <Source Page="1">User Data</Source>
  <Custom>AddedItem</Custom>
  <Type>Assault Ship</Type>
  <Categories>
    <Category>Starship</Category>
    <Category>Non-Fighter Starship</Category>
  </Categories>
  <HP>6</HP>
  <Price>500000</Price>
  <Rarity>7</Rarity>
  <HyperdrivePrimary>1</HyperdrivePrimary>
  <HyperdriveBackup>8</HyperdriveBackup>
  <NaviComputer>true</NaviComputer>
  <SensorRangeValue>srLong</SensorRangeValue>
  <Crew>Pilot; Optional: One Co-Pilot, One Engineer, One Tactician, Two Gunners</Crew>
  <EncumbranceCapacity>200</EncumbranceCapacity>
  <Passengers>8</Passengers>
  <Consumables>Three Months</Consumables>
  <Silhouette>4</Silhouette>
  <Speed>4</Speed>
  <Handling>1</Handling>
  <DefFore>2</DefFore>
  <DefAft>2</DefAft>
  <DefPort>2</DefPort>
  <DefStarboard>2</DefStarboard>
  <Armor>3</Armor>
  <HullTrauma>24</HullTrauma>
  <SystemStrain>20</SystemStrain>
  <Starship>true</Starship>
  <VehicleWeapons>
    <VehicleWeapon>
      <FiringArcs>
        <Fore>true</Fore>
      </FiringArcs>
      <Location>Forward</Location>
      <Key>CML</Key>
    </VehicleWeapon>
    <VehicleWeapon>
      <FiringArcs>
        <Fore>true</Fore>
      </FiringArcs>
      <Key>CML</Key>
    </VehicleWeapon>
    <VehicleWeapon>
      <FiringArcs>
        <Fore>true</Fore>
      </FiringArcs>
      <Location>Wingtip</Location>
      <Key>SITHPRECLASCAN</Key>
      <Count>4</Count>
    </VehicleWeapon>
  </VehicleWeapons>
  <BuiltInAttachments>
    <Key>LUXPASSCOMP</Key>
  </BuiltInAttachments>
  <SensorRange>Long</SensorRange>
</Vehicle>

If interested, this is one that got whipped up for a game. Guestimating and not based on much more than the loose descriptions.

Ni Fang likes this

On 25/09/2017 at 2:57 AM, Norr-Saba said:

hi oggdude, love the program, my friends and i used it the last time we played edge and I've just downloaded the new version so that i can use it as i start to dm for us, one thing i was wondering, and my apologies if this has been asked before, are you planning on making a version of this that is compatible for mac?

Unlikely, given that OggDude writes in .Net, which doesn't directly port or work on a Mac. I've bought Parallels, which works fine (haven't tested since the upgrade to High Sierra and the new version, but I'm sure it'll be fine), but you could look into VirtualBox or some other free emulator to get it working if that's a bit of a financial commitment for a single app...

Edit: Wow, I'm replying to a days old post. The email notifying me of it literally arrived an hour ago... I thought the emails were pretty quick... anyone else seeing this?

Edited by TheMongoose

Please report any problems you've found in the latest release so I can get out a bug fix version.  So far, this is all that's been reported and fixed:

• According to dev ruling, the Engine Boost System attachment now requires 1 HP, not 2.
  • In the Imbue power, the two Duration abilities were slightly different.  They are now separate Force abilities. 
  • In the Ebb/Flow power, the Strength abilities actually did three different things.  They are now separate Force abilities.
  • In the Ebb/Flow power, the final Control ability is in reality, the Mastery ability; it was labeled incorrectly in the book.  It is now labeled correctly in the generator.
  • The Mk. IV Backpack Pouch attachment erroneously contained a scattergun weapon.  This has been removed.

FelixTG likes this

3 hours ago, FelixTG said:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<Vehicle xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema">
  <Key>FURYCLASSINT</Key>
  <Name>Fury Class Interceptor</Name>
  <Description>[H3]Fury Class Interceptor[h3]
Featuring an advanced hyperdrive and state-of-the-art sublight engines, the Fury is the most versatile starship in the Imperial fleet and the end result of centuries of evolving design.
[BR][BR]
The modern Fury was originally conceived for use in high-priority military missions but is now used almost exclusively by Sith and outfitted accordingly. The Fury’s angular design combines the maneuverability of a fighter with impressive armament rivaling some larger military vessels.
[BR][BR]
The Fury also features a set of “strike foils” that remain down for travel but can be expanded in short-range combat to maximize the ship’s agility and range of firepower. The interior aesthetic is sleek and functional, arranged in the traditions of the Sith Academy on Korriban. Military-grade computers and communications equipment are integrated into the ship’s hardware, and hidden security devices make sabotage extremely difficult and dangerous.</Description>
  <Source Page="1">User Data</Source>
  <Custom>AddedItem</Custom>
  <Type>Assault Ship</Type>
  <Categories>
    <Category>Starship</Category>
    <Category>Non-Fighter Starship</Category>
  </Categories>
  <HP>6</HP>
  <Price>500000</Price>
  <Rarity>7</Rarity>
  <HyperdrivePrimary>1</HyperdrivePrimary>
  <HyperdriveBackup>8</HyperdriveBackup>
  <NaviComputer>true</NaviComputer>
  <SensorRangeValue>srLong</SensorRangeValue>
  <Crew>Pilot; Optional: One Co-Pilot, One Engineer, One Tactician, Two Gunners</Crew>
  <EncumbranceCapacity>200</EncumbranceCapacity>
  <Passengers>8</Passengers>
  <Consumables>Three Months</Consumables>
  <Silhouette>4</Silhouette>
  <Speed>4</Speed>
  <Handling>1</Handling>
  <DefFore>2</DefFore>
  <DefAft>2</DefAft>
  <DefPort>2</DefPort>
  <DefStarboard>2</DefStarboard>
  <Armor>3</Armor>
  <HullTrauma>24</HullTrauma>
  <SystemStrain>20</SystemStrain>
  <Starship>true</Starship>
  <VehicleWeapons>
    <VehicleWeapon>
      <FiringArcs>
        <Fore>true</Fore>
      </FiringArcs>
      <Key>CML</Key>
    </VehicleWeapon>
    <VehicleWeapon>
      <FiringArcs>
        <Fore>true</Fore>
      </FiringArcs>
      <Key>CML</Key>
    </VehicleWeapon>
    <VehicleWeapon>
      <FiringArcs>
        <Fore>true</Fore>
      </FiringArcs>
      <Location>Wingtip</Location>
      <Key>SITHPRECLASCAN</Key>
      <Count>4</Count>
    </VehicleWeapon>
  </VehicleWeapons>
  <BuiltInAttachments>
    <Key>LUXPASSCOMP</Key>
  </BuiltInAttachments>
  <SensorRange>Long</SensorRange>
</Vehicle>

If interested, this is one that got whipped up for a game. Guestimating and not based on much more than the loose descriptions.

Ok question where/how do I add this to my generator ?

1 hour ago, OggDude said:

Please report any problems you've found in the latest release so I can get out a bug fix version.

{snip}

Not a bug, but I do have a change request for you. Can you please change the behavior of the app's start-up splash screen so that it doesn't stay on top of all other running apps? The character app takes a while to load and having that splash screen occupying the middle of my screen for several minutes impedes my ability to do other things while I'm waiting for the app to finish loading.

Nytwyng likes this

19 minutes ago, SilindeT said:

Bug(?):  The Generator allows you to equip 2 Backpacks.

Sure, like these people:

mewithbackpacks-325x400.jpg

janice-with-two-backpacks.jpg?9d7bd4

(don't ask me how you'd manage to do any physical activity.)

19 minutes ago, SilindeT said:

Bug(?):  The Generator allows you to equip 2 Backpacks.

It has always allowed equipping an ECM-598 medical backpack and a regular backpack.

3 hours ago, TheMongoose said:

Unlikely, given that OggDude writes in .Net, which doesn't directly port or work on a Mac. I've bought Parallels, which works fine (haven't tested since the upgrade to High Sierra and the new version, but I'm sure it'll be fine), but you could look into VirtualBox or some other free emulator to get it working if that's a bit of a financial commitment for a single app...

Edit: Wow, I'm replying to a days old post. The email notifying me of it literally arrived an hour ago... I thought the emails were pretty quick... anyone else seeing this?

thankyou for replying, i only just got approved for posting and even though i made the post days ago it has only just become visible, i will try some of the options you sugested

Edited by Norr-Saba