OggDude

Another Character Generator

Thought I'd let everyone know that I just went over 10,000 downloads of the software (according to Bitly) since I put it up back in September.  I've been averaging over 100 downloads a day since I released 1.1, though it looks like it's starting to taper off again.

Thought I'd let everyone know that I just went over 10,000 downloads of the software (according to Bitly) since I put it up back in September.  I've been averaging over 100 downloads a day since I released 1.1, though it looks like it's starting to taper off again.

Just letting you know... You are doing some amazing work!

It's so easy (and a joy) to create NPC's and throw them in a Word doc with all my notes.

Heya, I'm new here. I've just been getting into the new FFG game system, picked up the EotE core rule book, as well as found this neat generation program thread.

I must say the program is very useful in learning the character creation process, and learning it the correct way the first time around. Its certainly cleared up or answered a few of the questions I had durring the process (Probably the most confusion and biggest gripes were not having all the creation process info summed up on a single page, but rather spread across the entire section, and the wording - saying cost is ten times the value you want to upgrade to, instead of a simple cost chart). I can see how much certain purchases or increases cost, as its deducted from the 110xp (humans) or 100xp (Bothans - for example) starting XP pool.

its fun and easy to use, being able to juggle around spending the XP in Characteristics, Skills, Talents and Obligations, going back and forth until a happy combination is found.

This brings me to a point: Obligations ... I think I found a bug.

I start the program.

New character (name, etc)

I then jump to Species: Bothan = 100 XP

When I choose Bothan for my species, thats 100XP pool to start with.

I Then goto Obligations: (I leave starting size at 5)

1. I choose New -> Family

1a. Family = +5

I see across the top: Total XP: 100  Used XP: 0 Unused XP: 100    Total Obligation / Duty: 5/0     Total Credits: 500

2. New -> Criminal

2a. Criminal = +5

I see:

Family +5

Criminal +5

Total XP: 100  Used XP: 0 Unused XP: 100    Total Obligation / Duty: 10/0     Total Credits: 500

I do see a tick box for +5 Starting XP [+5 Obligation]

Doing so gives me:

Total XP: 105  Used XP: 0 Unused XP: 105    Total Obligation / Duty: 10/0     Total Credits: 500

It doesn't matter which Obligation I highlight when choosing the +5 Obligation / +5 XP , I can only select this once and I only gain +5 XP even though I've chosen 2 Obligations and the program does show Total Obligations = 10 / 0

Now, the only way I can seem to get 10 Obligations = 10 XP is if I Change the Starting Obligation dropbox to +10 , and set both Obligations to +10 , then the program gives me 10 XP , however also reads as Total Obligation / Duty: 20/0. And the caveat is BOTH Obligations have to be set at +10 in the list before either of the +10 Obligation checkbox options below are selectable...

This is strange considering if I understand the notes in the book explain +1 Obligation = +1 XP , ie: +5 Obligation = +5 XP and so forth.

I've also tried this for the stock Human default choice and still getting the same. regardless of Career / Specializations choices. I'm using 1.1.0.3 as thats what the link was on the first page...

Edited by Terras Jadeonar

Heya, I'm new here. I've just been getting into the new FFG game system, picked up the EotE core rule book, as well as found this neat generation program thread.

I must say the program is very useful in learning the character creation process, and learning it the correct way the first time around. Its certainly cleared up or answered a few of the questions I had durring the process (Probably the most confusion and biggest gripes were not having all the creation process info summed up on a single page, but rather spread across the entire section, and the wording - saying cost is ten times the value you want to upgrade to, instead of a simple cost chart). I can see how much certain purchases or increases cost, as its deducted from the 110xp (humans) or 100xp (Bothans - for example) starting XP pool.

its fun and easy to use, being able to juggle around spending the XP in Characteristics, Skills, Talents and Obligations, going back and forth until a happy combination is found.

This brings me to a point: Obligations ... I think I found a bug.

I start the program.

New character (name, etc)

I then jump to Species: Bothan = 100 XP

When I choose Bothan for my species, thats 100XP pool to start with.

I Then goto Obligations: (I leave starting size at 5)

1. I choose New -> Family

1a. Family = +5

I see across the top: Total XP: 100  Used XP: 0 Unused XP: 100    Total Obligation / Duty: 5/0     Total Credits: 500

2. New -> Criminal

2a. Criminal = +5

I see:

Family +5

Criminal +5

Total XP: 100  Used XP: 0 Unused XP: 100    Total Obligation / Duty: 10/0     Total Credits: 500

I do see a tick box for +5 Starting XP [+5 Obligation]

Doing so gives me:

Total XP: 105  Used XP: 0 Unused XP: 105    Total Obligation / Duty: 10/0     Total Credits: 500

It doesn't matter which Obligation I highlight when choosing the +5 Obligation / +5 XP , I can only select this once and I only gain +5 XP even though I've chosen 2 Obligations and the program does show Total Obligations = 10 / 0

Now, the only way I can seem to get 10 Obligations = 10 XP is if I Change the Starting Obligation dropbox to +10 , and set both Obligations to +10 , then the program gives me 10 XP , however also reads as Total Obligation / Duty: 20/0. And the caveat is BOTH Obligations have to be set at +10 in the list before either of the +10 Obligation checkbox options below are selectable...

This is strange considering if I understand the notes in the book explain +1 Obligation = +1 XP , ie: +5 Obligation = +5 XP and so forth.

I've also tried this for the stock Human default choice and still getting the same. regardless of Career / Specializations choices. I'm using 1.1.0.3 as thats what the link was on the first page...

Hi Terras.  Glad you find the generator so useful :)

The obligation/duty options are working correctly, as far as I know.  There's two things you may be misunderstanding:

1. Options become selectable based upon total obligation, not individual obligations, and
  2. You don't get +1 XP per +1 Obligation, but rather two opportunities to gain +5 and +10 XP

Here's how it works:  your GM specifies a starting obligation value for you.  Let's say it's 10.  So, you select that value for "Starting Obligation".  All options are disabled.  You then add a size 5 obligation.  They're all still disabled.  You change that obligation to 10.  Still all disabled.

You then add a second obligation (let's say) for 5.  You now have 15 total obligation.  That's 5 over the starting value, so the "+5 XP" and +"1,000 starting Credits" options become available.  You select +5 XP.  The credits option now becomes disabled.  Then, let say you add another 5 points to your second obligation.  You now have 10 obligation over the starting value.  You've selected +5 XP, so that leaves another 5.  So, +1,000 credits becomes enabled.  If you were to deselect +5 XP, all four options would become enabled and you could choose +10 XP instead.  If you did that, all the other would become disabled, since that would take up all 10 extra XP.

One thing the generator doesn't do is limit your extra obligation.  In the above scenario, you should actually only be able to gain benefits from an extra 10 obligation, since that was your starting value.  If starting value was 20, you'd only be able to gain option benefits from another 20, etc.

Duty works the same way, but instead of taking extra duty, you remove duty BELOW the starting value.  For instance, if your starting duty is 20, and you only take on 5 duty, you have 15 less, and therefore you could choose +10 XP and +5 XP, for instance.

Each of the options can be selected only once.  In other words, if you choose +5 XP, you can't choose it again.  You can, however, choose +10 XP as well, assuming you have enough obligation, and your starting value is at lease 15.

Hope that clears things up.  It can be a bit tricky :)

Ok, I may be doing something wrong but I can't get imported adversaries to stay in the program, I have to import them every time I start the GM tools.

I think that I may have identified the issue, when I import from an adversary import directory it creates a new directory called 'Adversaries' in the import directory and creates a list of adversaries here instead of populating the main adversary directory.

So, I import from AoR import directory. A new directory is created as AoR import\adversaries. A list of adversaries is created here but the main adversaries directory remains empty.

Has anyone else had this issue or is it just me?

First off congrats on the downloads thats awesome.  Second, i have a character I went to update, she's a Force Sensitive Emergent.  It says I have spent all my xp, but all the selections I made in the Force powers tree are now deslected.

Ok, I may be doing something wrong but I can't get imported adversaries to stay in the program, I have to import them every time I start the GM tools.

I think that I may have identified the issue, when I import from an adversary import directory it creates a new directory called 'Adversaries' in the import directory and creates a list of adversaries here instead of populating the main adversary directory.

So, I import from AoR import directory. A new directory is created as AoR import\adversaries. A list of adversaries is created here but the main adversaries directory remains empty.

Interesting...  what OS are you using?  WinXP?

First off congrats on the downloads thats awesome.  Second, i have a character I went to update, she's a Force Sensitive Emergent.  It says I have spent all my xp, but all the selections I made in the Force powers tree are now deslected.

Send me a copy of the character, including your DataCustom directory if it uses new items that you've added yourself.  I'll see if I can get it to replicate.

I'm sorry if this has already been answered, but I have a query with the Tinkerer talent.

The talent is used to add a hard-point onto any piece of equipment - I have found that it works fine for equipment that already have at least 1 hard-point, but cannot get it to recognise owned equipment that have 0 hard-points.

Is this by design - i.e. equipment with 0 hard-points cannot ever be given a hard-point?

I'm sorry if this has already been answered, but I have a query with the Tinkerer talent.

The talent is used to add a hard-point onto any piece of equipment - I have found that it works fine for equipment that already have at least 1 hard-point, but cannot get it to recognise owned equipment that have 0 hard-points.

Is this by design - i.e. equipment with 0 hard-points cannot ever be given a hard-point?

It's by design.  Page 145: "The character makes one piece of equipment more modifiable."  That implies that it needs to be modifiable to begin with; that is, have at least 1 HP already.

If someone else thinks differently, post! :)

Yeah, my line of thinking was that Tinkerer added a hard point to any object, even if it didn't have any to begin with.

Also, ran across an issue with starships. When trying to add a modification (in this particular case it was smuggling compartments), the choose and cancel buttons weren't responding when I clicked on them.

Yeah, my line of thinking was that Tinkerer added a hard point to any object, even if it didn't have any to begin with.

Also, ran across an issue with starships. When trying to add a modification (in this particular case it was smuggling compartments), the choose and cancel buttons weren't responding when I clicked on them.

Did this happen only once, or does it happen a lot?  All cancel does is close the form, so all I can think of is that maybe you're running low on resources?  Unpredictable weird things can happen when resources are low.

Is there some designer discussion or Order 66 podcast that talks about Tinkerer?  Didn't see much on the forums.

Yes, XP?

Send me a copy of the character, including your DataCustom directory if it uses new items that you've added yourself.  I'll see if I can get it to replicate.

Character and data file have been sent.

Edited by Dbrowne1974

Anyone like using a pencil and some dice?  I mean its all good and kudos for the huge effort..but do people need a generator to make character more than once twice a decade? Or is it a way to proof your character?  I just don't get it.

Anyone like using a pencil and some dice?  I mean its all good and kudos for the huge effort..but do people need a generator to make character more than once twice a decade? Or is it a way to proof your character?  I just don't get it.

It's for creating the character, not playing the character :)  It lets you generate a character really quick, let's you tweak your character, try different talents, look over equipment, powers, careers, specs, whatever.  When you're done, you print it out, stick it in a sheet protector... and THEN comes the dice rolling :)  It's not an in-game play aid, and it doesn't automate play at all.  The end result of pretty much all aspects of the generator is to print out spiffy sheets that you use to play the game with pencil and dice.  Players print out their characters and vehicles, GM's print out encounter sheets, group sheets, etc.  It aids in tabletop play, it doesn't replace it.

In my opinion, over-automation takes a lot of the joy out of playing these games.  If I wanted a computer to do everything, I'd play SWTOR.  That being said, computers can be very useful tools for tabletop games, and that's what the generator is: a tool to make your tabletop experience that much easier to handle.

At least I hope it is :)

Yes, XP?

I was afraid of that.  I did some research and apparently, XP will change the current directory when the file dialog is shown, whereas Vista and higher won't.  I'm going to have to change some of the assumptions I make when doing imports.

It's not a problem, I think that I just need to import one set of adversaries at a time, and keep moving the new adversary folder to the next import directory and then do the next lot of imports to build on what is already there. Once I have all the adversaries imported I can then over write the main adversary folder. I will only need to do this once and make a backup for future use.

It's by design.  Page 145: "The character makes one piece of equipment more modifiable."  That implies that it needs to be modifiable to begin with; that is, have at least 1 HP already.

Thanks for that clarification, makes sense now :)

I think I have found a bug - when I try to assign certain Gear to a Adversary I am creating, I am getting an Unhandled Exception error. I originally received this error when trying to add a Medpac. I have also found that this happens on some other items, though I have not checked through the entire Gear list yet.

Below is a list of the ones I have found so far with this issue:

Cybernetic Eyes

Immune Implant

Hunting Goggles

Medpac

I can send you the error output if you need.

It's not a problem, I think that I just need to import one set of adversaries at a time, and keep moving the new adversary folder to the next import directory and then do the next lot of imports to build on what is already there. Once I have all the adversaries imported I can then over write the main adversary folder. I will only need to do this once and make a backup for future use.

That may or may not work :)  I'm going to fix this problem for the next release.

Character and data file have been sent.

I found the problem.  The force power dropdown was keying off of the force power's name.  This worked fine until I fixed a spelling error with the Foresee power.  Now older characters will crash if Foresee is chosen.

Other than that, I'm seeing the basic power selected for both Enhance and Sense.  Scanning through your character, that's all I'm seeing as selected, so it seems to be working now.

This bug will be fixed in the next version.

Thanks for that clarification, makes sense now :)

I think I have found a bug - when I try to assign certain Gear to a Adversary I am creating, I am getting an Unhandled Exception error. I originally received this error when trying to add a Medpac. I have also found that this happens on some other items, though I have not checked through the entire Gear list yet.

Below is a list of the ones I have found so far with this issue:

Cybernetic Eyes

Immune Implant

Hunting Goggles

Medpac

I can send you the error output if you need.

This was another aspect of the bug I fixed in 1.1.0.1 where some new ad-hoc mods in equipment were being treated as regular item descriptors.  Another one just slipped through the cracks.  It'll be fixed in the next release.