OggDude

Another Character Generator

Good ruling. Makes sense that you can't rip out say a turret and replace it with smuggling compartments or a cloaking device. Weapons can just be replaced with different weapon systems. 

It's also trivial to add a modded version of the ship to the data set if your GM doesn't play by RAW.

It's actually not a good ruling. Why? Because you can install a weapon using a CHP and then later on strip that weapon out and replace it with a non-weapon. The RAW doesn't prevent that. So there's an inconsistency between what you can do with how weapons are treated on a modified ship and how weapons are treated on a stock ship. Unless the devs are going to say that once a CHP is used, it can never be reused. They haven't said that.

Sure, it makes sense that a weapon HP shouldn't be used for something other than a weapon. But the game also does not make a distinction between weapon hard points and "hard points" used for other purposes. Thus leading to the inconsistency between how stock and modified ships are handled according to the rules.

But all of this is off-topic for this thread, because the devs have made their ruling and the generator conforms to the dev rulings ... as it should.

On 1/25/2017 at 4:52 PM, Erik Seraph said:

Hello,

I would like to know how enable the choose of additional career for Arkanian Offshoot, like happens for Humans (please see the Screenshots).

Description:

• Special Abilities:
    • Additional Career Skills - May train in two additional career skills

Not sure what you mean.  To add a career skill option using XML:

<Option>
          <Key>ARKANOFFAB1SK</Key>
          <Name>Additional Career Skills</Name>
          <Description>May train in two additional career skills</Description>
          <StartingSkillTraining>
            <SkillTraining>
              <SkillCount>2</SkillCount>
              <Requirement>
                <Career>true</Career>
              </Requirement>
            </SkillTraining>
          </StartingSkillTraining>
        </Option>

To do the same thing using the Data Editor (Species, Option Choices, Option):

CareerSkills.png

To mimic the human ability of additional non-career skills:

<Option>
          <Key>HUMANABSK</Key>
          <Name>Additional Non-Career Skills</Name>
          <Description>Humans start the game with one rank in two different non-career
          skills of their choice.</Description>
          <StartingSkillTraining>
            <SkillTraining>
              <Requirement>
                <NonCareer>true</NonCareer>
              </Requirement>
            </SkillTraining>
          </StartingSkillTraining>
        </Option>

NonCareerSkills.png

2 hours ago, OggDude said:

Not sure what you mean.  To add a career skill option using XML:

<Option>
          <Key>ARKANOFFAB1SK</Key>
          <Name>Additional Career Skills</Name>
          <Description>May train in two additional career skills</Description>
          <StartingSkillTraining>
            <SkillTraining>
              <Requirement>
                <Career>true</Career>
              </Requirement>
            </SkillTraining>
          </StartingSkillTraining>
        </Option>

To do the same thing using the Data Editor (Species, Option Choices, Option):

CareerSkills.png

To mimic the human ability of additional non-career skills:

<Option>
          <Key>HUMANABSK</Key>
          <Name>Additional Non-Career Skills</Name>
          <Description>Humans start the game with one rank in two different non-career
          skills of their choice.</Description>
          <StartingSkillTraining>
            <SkillTraining>
              <Requirement>
                <NonCareer>true</NonCareer>
              </Requirement>
            </SkillTraining>
          </StartingSkillTraining>
        </Option>

NonCareerSkills.png

Thank you so much for the answer.

In fact, what I would like to know is where I choose the extra career skills.

In the human species screen, the extra skills are available for selection.

But when we choose the Arkanian offshot, the skills do not seem to be available anywhere.

Not even on the species screen.

Neither in the career skills screen (still remains only 06), because the 02 extra skills are not activated to choose.

So, where exactly do I get them (the 02 extra career skill)?

Edited by Erik Seraph

6 hours ago, ShadoWarrior said:

It's actually not a good ruling. Why? Because you can install a weapon using a CHP and then later on strip that weapon out and replace it with a non-weapon. The RAW doesn't prevent that. So there's an inconsistency between what you can do with how weapons are treated on a modified ship and how weapons are treated on a stock ship. Unless the devs are going to say that once a CHP is used, it can never be reused. They haven't said that.

Sure, it makes sense that a weapon HP shouldn't be used for something other than a weapon. But the game also does not make a distinction between weapon hard points and "hard points" used for other purposes. Thus leading to the inconsistency between how stock and modified ships are handled according to the rules.

But all of this is off-topic for this thread, because the devs have made their ruling and the generator conforms to the dev rulings ... as it should.

Hardpoints are used for attachments and attachments can freely switched in a rather short time. Now stock weapons are not even using hardpoints thus can not provide you with new hardpoints and thus to not provide you with new hardpoints. They can however be upgrades without additional hardpoint costs to different weapons. 

So it is not as bad as it seems, it just the that whole weapon upgrade process is very unclean, not only from stock weapons, but as well from hardpoints, as you always should take linked(3) when you buy for a weapon for a hardpoint, etc … I guess the problem would have been solved with charging one HP per barrel and increasing the HP cost of most attachments by factor two, but I am not 100% sure on that either, it would require some play testing, and I am seriously short on play sessions as it is, without adding test sessions and rebalancing of a system from someone else. ;-)

Still, 0.5 HP per gun feels about right.

Edited by SEApocalypse
replaced barrel with gun

57 minutes ago, Erik Seraph said:

Thank you so much for the answer.

In fact, what I would like to know is where I choose the extra career skills.

In the human species screen, the extra skills are available for selection.

But when we choose the Arkanian offshot, the skills do not seem to be available anywhere.

Not even on the species screen.

Neither in the career skills screen (still remains only 06), because the 02 extra skills are not activated to choose.

So, where exactly do I get them (the 02 extra career skill)?

Sorry for the dumb question :(

I got know, that the careers starting with 04 skills, not 06...

2 hours ago, Stan Fresh said:

Is there a way to be informed of new versions of the generator without keeping up with this thread?

If you're using the Web Install version, the next time you open the application and there's an update available, it'll let you know and offer to install the update.

If you're using the Manual Install version, your only option is to keep checking the thread.

Just a quick remark, to point out that I was not able to see Oggdude signature (due to a forum change ?), to download the Web-install version. I had to use Google Cache version of the thread to find it.
Maybe we should update the first post, to include both type of installs ?

PS : this app is so awesome.

The book states if healing someone with control 2 (HARM) the target character takes conflict or if resurrecting someone with mastery user and target takes 7 conflict... what if the character is not a force user.

in the character generator the area for conflict (morality) is only open if you are a force user... am I correct in that?

9 hours ago, Erik Seraph said:

Sorry for the dumb question :(

I got know, that the careers starting with 04 skills, not 06...

Yeah, the extra two show up in the Career pane under "Career Skills".

42 minutes ago, LordEnforcer said:

The book states if healing someone with control 2 (HARM) the target character takes conflict or if resurrecting someone with mastery user and target takes 7 conflict... what if the character is not a force user.

in the character generator the area for conflict (morality) is only open if you are a force user... am I correct in that?

Generally, non-Force users don't have morality and, thus, conflict doesn't matter.  However, if you want everyone to have a morality mechanic, click the Options button and check "Ignore Force Rating requirement for Morality".

I'm so sorry if this is a difficult question to answer.

I'm GM'ing.  My intent is to staff a Marauder Assault Corvette with minions for the gunner positions and group the like weapons on this ship into batteries.

The Marauder Assault Corvette has:

4 Forward Mounted Twin Light Turbolasers (I'd like to group these into a battery)

4 Turret Mounted Twin Light Turbolasers (hopefully grouped into a battery)

3  Forward Mounted Light Tractor Beams (hopefully grouped into a battery)

I'm in the vehicle roster page and have added the appropriate groups of minions into the adversaries list for the encounter containing this ship.

Is there a way to do this in the GM tools to get the printout to show me the minion upgraded gunnery checks for weapon batteries?

Edited by CrunchyDemon

Anyone know when you create a report and separate it into multiple tables based on a property if you can use the resulting property value in the "optional group title" option.

For example, making a weapon report and having the table grouped by the "type" property so one group is melee, on is ranged light, etc.  Is there a way to have the melee or ranged light show up in the optional group title so I need to waste column space on it?

@OggDude: With the new forum your footer links are missing.

I could use the links to your manual install file!!

Perhaps you add links to the various versions in your first post?

Thanks again, man! Good work!

Hey oggy, i'm using versión 1.7 on windows 10.  In the data editor, when I copy a talent, which in the popular shows userspecial17 or some such when i've copied soft spot to implement "deathblow" (executioner talent from savage spirits, it's like soft spot except that it uses willpower instead of cunnung) and changed the name to deathblow, after I clicked add what it has done is renamed soft spot to deathblow with the softspot tag. This also happened when I tried to copy saberthrow to improved saberthrow.

Hmmm, what am i doing wrong? I've been using v1.7 for a few weeks on win10. Today I installed 1.8 and I'm all sorts of problems. Particularly in the GM tools module. It freezes on step 2 when I try to make a new report. Is there something I need to do to tweak 1.8 to work correctly on Win10?

3 minutes ago, Scambler said:

Hmmm, what am i doing wrong? I've been using v1.7 for a few weeks on win10. Today I installed 1.8 and I'm all sorts of problems. Particularly in the GM tools module. It freezes on step 2 when I try to make a new report. Is there something I need to do to tweak 1.8 to work correctly on Win10?

1.8 beta has problems with win10. Ogg has found and corrected the issue on his end. Not released yet

8 hours ago, Daeglan said:

1.8 beta has problems with win10. Ogg has found and corrected the issue on his end. Not released yet

okay, I kinda remember reading about a couple pages back. now, that you mention it.  I'll swap it back to 1.7... Thanks!

Just now, Daeglan said:

You have to clear your cache to get it to work.

No, I tried that. I also made sure the compatibility was set to win 8 like 1.7 was. It's didnt affect the stability.