OggDude

Another Character Generator

I have emailed his gmail address, sent a donation, even started a donation drive with www.LegendsoftheGalaxy.com to him in hopes it will bring him back, and posted on the boards calling him back. I have had no response at all. But remember you can add your own content to 1.7 or 1.8beta and keep playing. Use the Data Editor. As for OggDude hope he is doing well. I know he vanished since his vacation. Maybe he went on holiday. Maybe work keeps him away. Maybe he got a cease and decease order. Maybe FFG hired him to make an official one and he has a gag order. Maybe 2016 claimed him. Either way don't fret. Continue to play grow the community and introduce new players. I remember a day when character sheets were pen and paper. Don't stop playing because of an unofficial generator has not updated especially when you can update it yourself. We hop Oggy gets back soon.

I read about some of you changing data. Is there a way to replace the "check page XX in the rulebook" with the real rule text ?

Kind regards

Ala

Alarith,

There is!

You can check it under the Data Editor section of the character generator!

Is there anyone who has filled in the descriptions and would be willing to share the data files?  Don't want to risk tendinitis doing it myself if I don't have to  ;)

I filled content in but sharing it is not ok. The reason it is not ok is it encourages people to not buy books as this has all the content then. We need to buy the books we need to do it to support the product line and license or FFG will stop making the game we all know and love. Both players and GMs should buy.

I have several of the books, it is just too much time for me to fill in everything a lot of the time, especially in the create new stuff part for the newer books. Especially the darn hilt customization.

Ogg's character gen app is made by Ogg as a hobby. I'm sure he is busy with real life. Freaking out in the forums is not necessary. As it stands the 1.7 and even the 1.8 beta releases both work really well and help with the game a lot. Deciding to put your campaign on hold because Ogg is too busy to respond on a forum is a ridiculous idea. This game was just as fun before Ogg's app. Ogg's work only served to make it better. If you genuinely believe that the 1.7 and 1.8 iterations of the app are ao unusuable that you are willing to suspend your game then maybe you might be overreacting a little.

I was wondering (since it seems like OggDude has gone of the grid or is lost in translation) does anyone know about anything else that can be used for characters.  I liked that all we had to do is add the data in his program and then we could work on a character, but he has been gone for 3 months.  We put our Campaign on hold waiting for OggDude to get his program out of Beta, seeing that the last copy we used had a habit of crashing.  We really like his program and I do have about ten different versions of his program in storage, so going back will work, but will have to redo characters.  So the question is, are there any other programs (excel sheets etc.) that at least lets us input data in pre-made templates?

Maybe I'm a little obtuse...but I fail to see how or why anyone would put a whole campaign on hold because this free hobby of a program is not done yet.  Rebuilding a character in an earlier version is not very hard. I don't mean to be crass here, but if your game's linchpin is this program....I think you need really need to reevaluate your game. While I love this program, if it disappeared, quit working altogether, or just simply stated putting everything in Klingon, it would no effect on my game. As far as other types of sheets, check out the Compiled Resource List thread and google. There are a bunch of fan made sheets out there. One was even built for Obsidian Portal and Roll20.  

Edited by R2builder

I was wondering (since it seems like OggDude has gone of the grid or is lost in translation) does anyone know about anything else that can be used for characters.  I liked that all we had to do is add the data in his program and then we could work on a character, but he has been gone for 3 months.  We put our Campaign on hold waiting for OggDude to get his program out of Beta, seeing that the last copy we used had a habit of crashing.  We really like his program and I do have about ten different versions of his program in storage, so going back will work, but will have to redo characters.  So the question is, are there any other programs (excel sheets etc.) that at least lets us input data in pre-made templates?

Honestly, adding much of the material (species, specializations, Force powers, gear, ships) isn't all that difficult to do yourself.  Simply set up a separate database labeled something as simple as "new goodies" and start entering the data.  The FAQ is pretty good for guiding you through the process, and after the first couple entries of each type, you'll quickly get the hang of it.  As far as gear goes, you also don't have to enter every little thing, just the stuff that you're certain the PCs in your group would want to have.

We put our Campaign on hold waiting for OggDude to get his program out of Beta, seeing that the last copy we used had a habit of crashing.  

Can't really say I took that of context. If that is not what you meant, that is what you wrote. If you are waiting on someone to give you free stuff, put your game on hold, then complain about it, sorry there guy, I have zero sympathy for you. 

I'l be the first to admit that the work that Oggdude has done with this has made me very lazy. I have had new players ask me questions about the cost the of stuff, and I have to give them a sheepish grin, and say, well, use Oggdude's Char Gen. But in no way would the lack of this program stop my game. 

I wish Oggdude the best, and do hope he is just super busy right now, and has not succumbed to the vileness of 2016.

Oggdude, you are our only hope.  

Taken off because tired of haters hating.

Plus what I meant was taken out of context and then when explained someone had to jump in and say but thats what you said.

I didn't type exactly what I meant sorry..............

I liked his program, this forum less.

Stating that you are overreacting is not being a "hater". Claiming that others are taking what you said out of context, then deleting that context is also a bizarre move.

This forum is one of the best places for resources, information and general chatting about the game. That said, most people on here have very little time for drama and people giving out over how the free stuff they have been provided with, by members of this forum, is not updated at the frequency that would suit them.

R2Builder was kind enough to point you the direction of the other community resources. Donovan Morningfire gave you a quick explanation of how you can update the app yourself. I pointed out that both the current beta and main release are both running stable. There is no need to go whining about the forum seen as most people here have tried to help you regardless of how rude you have been.

I was not rude, I was trying to avoid arguements.  That is all.

I took it down because you seem to think I am hating on the program and I am not.  I am not also expecting him to put out a program when I want.  I only was looking for other means of keeping your character until a new version comes out. I thanked Donovan in my post, said nothing negative about him only you for being rude.  I was not rude at the time but...

I didn't type exactly what I meant sorry..............

I liked his program, this forum less.

Wow......just...wow.....

While I did criticize somewhat, I was helpful in providing useful areas to find what you were looking for. But, yeah...never mind on that.

This is a great community, and people get back what they put in to it.

yes R2builder you were helpful and a touch critical, but I would like to say sorry to the whole community.

I'm sorry if I ruffled feathers and the like, but it would have been nice if some would have given me the benifit of the doubt when I said I didn't word my original post the way I should have.  Instead I was not articulating what I wanted.  We didn't only put our campaign on hold for Ogg's program but also because of other stuff, none of which matters now.

So I want to say sorry, I will eat crow when I am wrong and hopefully I and everyone else can give others who don't articulate and respond perfectly a chance to clarify their thoughts.

So once again sorry and hope all have a happy new year.

I think "everyone" took things too personally. The nature of the electronic medium is that it amplifies the perception of insult (partly because we can't hear the speaker's tone of voice or see their facial expressions). I honestly believe that the people perceived as being critical were at least initially try to offer constructive criticism/helpful advice, and that beltaurb honestly perceived insult (where none was intended). So let's all attribute the non-constructive and adversarial aspects of the preceding exchange to a misunderstanding caused by the electronic medium (i.e. everyone gets a pass).

This is a great tool, but I have a question.  Does anyone know if it's possible to save character sheets digitally to email to other players like as a PDF, JPEG, or another format?

EDIT: Nevermind, I figured it out.  In case anyone else has the same problem, I realized if I tried to print it I could select Print to PDF as a printer to save the character sheet as a PDF.

Edited by Orctavius

This is a great tool, but I have a question.  Does anyone know if it's possible to save character sheets digitally to email to other players like as a PDF, JPEG, or another format?

EDIT: Nevermind, I figured it out.  In case anyone else has the same problem, I realized if I tried to print it I could select Print to PDF as a printer to save the character sheet as a PDF.

You answered this question for yourself but I thought I would contribute for anyone who doesn't understand what you meant. Windows 10 has a Built in PDF printer. So when you go to Print your character sheets you can select to "Print as PDF" instead of printing to paper. For those of you who are not running Windows 10, I used to use a tool called CutePDF Writer when I was still running Windows 7. I also believe that the Foxit PDF reader adds a PDF printer when you install since it shows up under my list of printers but I have never used it.

I'm glad you figured it out! :)

I thought I would expand on the answer a touch though. You can also open up the data folder and go to characters, and pull out the .XML file and email or upload to a shared google/dropbox/cloud account, and then the others can import that file in and open it up in the generator as well. I had a player once who used a Windows tablet, so he could use the program on his tablet and have his Character right there. After he would spend his XP, he would send me his .XML file, so I always had a current copy as well.

Good to see you back, Oggy.

If you need someplace to host the program for download, I'll be glad to do it at mySWRPG.com.

If I can help in any other way, I'd be glad to. (For instance, I spent part of the weekend entering in the information from Endless Vigil and Friends Like These, and I've had Forged In Battle entered in for a while. While I don't have images for a lot of the gear/vehicles, I'd be glad to send you the data sets to cut down on your data entry time.)

Oggy! great to see you are still alive.  To bad about RL getting in the way of gaming, but it does happen to all of us.  Wish you luck, and can't wait for 1.8 to come out.  But by the time that happens at this rate you will have a lot more stuff to add to it.  :)

Welcome back!

• I haven't been keeping up on the source books lately.  It looks like one or two have come out since I was on last.  I think the last one I got was Savage Spirits, but something is telling me there was one other new one that I bought.  Anyway, once I get some time to work on this, I'll update my collection and add all the new goodies.

Let's see, if I remember right, since Savage Spirits, they've released Forged in Battle (AoR, soldiers), Endless Vigil (F&D, sentinels), and Friends Like These (AoR adventure, but with Mandalorians as a species & various vehicles and gear). No Disintegrations (EotE, bounty hunters) is on the proverbial boat, and hopefully coming real soon now; and Ghosts of Dathomir (F&D adventure, on Toydaria) is at the printer.