OggDude

Another Character Generator

Hey, there. Love the program but I uploaded the new version, made a bunch of customizations, and now I'm having problems loading characters. When I try to select some of my existing characters (from older versions), I get a message that says "There was a problem loading the character." This does not seem to happen to all characters, just some.

Additionally, I just had the problem happen with a NEW character (actually, I tried to re-create one of the existing characters from old data).

Help? :)

We have a session this coming Sunday, so I'd love to get this sorted out sooner rather than later...

Have you tried the good ol', handy dandy clearing of cache?

OK, Quick question, as there are way too many pages to read_ Does this character generator work on a Mac?

The short answer is No.

The longer answer is that some, very smart, people have managed to get limited functionality by doing a lot of complex work-arounds.  I've also seen an ipad app that allows for character sheet viewing.

There may be some light at the other end of the tunnel though as OggDude has mentioned that his next version of the program will includes some changes that will make it more Virtual Machine friendly.  Until then you will just have to comfort yourself in the fact that you get every mobile app months before android users... you know, so thats something.

OK, Quick question, as there are way too many pages to read_ Does this character generator work on a Mac?

not natively. You need something like wine and it might work. You could also run it on something like Amazon Web services. Or parallels. 

Hey, there. Love the program but I uploaded the new version, made a bunch of customizations, and now I'm having problems loading characters. When I try to select some of my existing characters (from older versions), I get a message that says "There was a problem loading the character." This does not seem to happen to all characters, just some.

Additionally, I just had the problem happen with a NEW character (actually, I tried to re-create one of the existing characters from old data).

We have a session this coming Sunday, so I'd love to get this sorted out sooner rather than later...

Have you tried the good ol', handy dandy clearing of cache?

Well, what do you know - thanks!

Oggy,

As always, I really love this program.

I really hope that you get the crafting rules out before your trip. Savage Spirits is a little lower on the priority list.

I ran into an issue today with the Data Editor.

I was attempting to create some of the new talents from Forged in Battle (which, by the way, is totally awesome!!!).

I attempted to copy the talent Bodyguard (Improved) to use it as a basis for Bodyguard (Supreme).

I clicked on the talent, hit "copy".

It took me in to make changes and rename it.

Then, when I clicked "Add" to finish the process it replaced the Bodyguard (Improved) with Bodyguard (Supreme).

I didn't realize this and hit save.

When I figured it out, I attempted to hit remove (which usually allows you to restore the item to it's base while giving you the option to keep descriptions). And it popped up a message about not being able to remove it because x specializations were accessing that talent.

Aren't talents supposed to restore to default when you click remove (like just about everything else)?

The talent is still correct in one of my other datasets but it won't allow me to copy it from there to the Default dataset.

On a side note, When I was looking for a Q/A about the Move/ Copy function, I noticed on the Data Editor Page, under EDITOR HELP It says GENERAL GUIDLINES. I found it amusing that big bolded misspelling has been overlooked by the community for probably quite some time.  :lol:

Oggy,

I really hope that you get the crafting rules out before your trip. Savage Spirits is a little lower on the priority list.

I was attempting to create some of the new talents from Forged in Battle (which, by the way, is totally awesome!!!).

I attempted to copy the talent Bodyguard (Improved) to use it as a basis for Bodyguard (Supreme).

Then, when I clicked "Add" to finish the process it replaced the Bodyguard (Improved) with Bodyguard (Supreme).

When I figured it out, I attempted to hit remove (which usually allows you to restore the item to it's base while giving you the option to keep descriptions). And it popped up a message about not being able to remove it because x specializations were accessing that talent.

Aren't talents supposed to restore to default when you click remove (like just about everything else)?

The talent is still correct in one of my other datasets but it won't allow me to copy it from there to the Default dataset.

On a side note, When I was looking for a Q/A about the Move/ Copy function, I noticed on the Data Editor Page, under EDITOR HELP It says GENERAL GUIDLINES. I found it amusing that big bolded misspelling has been overlooked by the community for probably quite some time.  :lol:

Thats cause you are the only one reading the directions...

Oggy,

I ran into the same issue this morning. Also, outright creating a talent didn't make it available in the talent list for attachments. I had to copy the info from the talents.xml file under custom data and paste it into the talents.xml in the app location data folder for it to show up.

Oggy,

I ran into the same issue this morning. Also, outright creating a talent didn't make it available in the talent list for attachments. I had to copy the info from the talents.xml file under custom data and paste it into the talents.xml in the app location data folder for it to show up.

there is a thing in options about using custom data...

I have an edge case problem.

"A Jetpack allows a character to function as a Sillouette 1, Speed 2, Handling 0, System Strain 3 vehical that can only operate in atmosphere and requires pilot planetary to operate."

I want to apply Signature Vehical to my jetpack, but according to the builder I have no vehical to signaturize. I can select Signature with no target, but I get error messages popping up every other talent selection.

Perhaps if the Jet pack and Rocket Boots items created equivilant vehicals in the vehical section when chosen?

"A Jetpack allows a character to function as a Sillouette 1, Speed 2, Handling 0, System Strain 3 vehical that can only operate in atmosphere and requires pilot planetary to operate."

I want to apply Signature Vehical to my jetpack, but according to the builder I have no vehical to signaturize. I can select Signature with no target, but I get error messages popping up every other talent selection.

Perhaps if the Jet pack and Rocket Boots items created equivilant vehicals in the vehical section when chosen?

You are just gonna end up in a sarlac or losing your head....

You are just gonna end up in a sarlac or losing your head....

Gonna give it the ramming gear from Stay on Target.

Shinespark_Super_Metroid.gif

Hmm. It seems to be a general problem with Signature Vehical, not with Jet pack (which IS a vehical, but must be purchaced seprately)

"Unhanded exception has occured in your application."

************** Exception Text **************
System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
   at SWCharGen.CharRigger.GetVehicleList()
   at SWCharGen.CharRigger.get_allVehicles()
   at SWCharGen.CharRigger.get_SigVehicle()
   at SWCharGen.CharRigger.Recalc()
   at SWCharGen.frmChooseVehicle.GetVehicles(RiggerVeh& myVeh)
   at SWCharGen.frmChooseVehicle.ChooseVehicle(CharData myData, Character myChar, IWin32Window parent)
   at SWCharGen.frmSWCharGenMain.mySpec_ChooseVehicle(Object sender, ChooseCharEventArgs e)
   at SWCharGen.SpecTree.Char_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   at SWCharGen.SpecTree.SelectNode(SpecTreeNode node, Boolean selected, Boolean force)
   at SWCharGen.SpecTree.Check_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

EDIT: And rebooting the builder fixed it.

Edited by Rakaydos

would it be possible to get bits like savage spirits before you go?

I'm working on it...

There is beer in it for you lol

I just got finished adding riding mounts today.

Oh, another new feature... If a Gear item represents an adversary of some sort (like a droid or riding mount), and if the adversary in question exists somewhere in the Imports directory, the equipment pane will now allow you to "convert" your item into an NPC companion.  And, of course, if it creates a mount, you can then convert the mount into a vehicle.

People have had luck using Mono and/or Wine.  The new version does away with the old MS web browser control, so it should work even better with Mono.

Email me a character or two that's giving you problems and I'll figure it out.  oggdude42@gmail.com

Oggy,

Yeah, that should only happen in the talent editor.  It was related to a fix I made so that certain talent features that weren't supported in the editor wouldn't get erased if the talent was customized.  It would first copy the existing talent, then make changes to it.  Unfortunately, I did this AFTER I set the key, so it reset it back to the original :)  I fixed it so it works properly now.

And yeah, a key slip with "Guidelines" :)  Fixed that too.  Interestingly enough, Chrome's spelling suggestion for that included "Guinness"...

Abracadabra... POOF!  Your wish is granted.

Just do a vehicle search for "jet pack" or "boots".  They're both already there :)

I think what I'm going to do is release a "beta" of the new version as a ZIP-only release, before heading to Germany (and beyond!).  That way, you guys can tell me what's wrong with it before I do a general release.  This will probably happen Monday or Tuesday (I'm leaving on Thursday).

Hey OggDude and friends!

Dude, i LOVE your generator, it simplifies the **** out of everything.

You are a god send!

I wanted to point out that in the attachments slot, the Poison Reservoir attachment in the description talks about blades but in the editor you could also put it on brawl weapons.

While it may seem okay as the poison maybe seeps in through micro needles or through skin contact, per RAW it's meant for blades i guess.

Second, i wanted to say that i think the skill modification in the data editor is broken. Because when i try to create a holocron that would make the Lore Skill career one, pressing the toggle turns off the other options (meaning if i also want to grant 1 up in that skill or add it only if it's ranked). Maybe i also used it wrong?

Thirdly, i would be happy to help if i knew .NET programming, but i don't so i am left with asking you for a feature if possible. Is it possible to add an option such that if you add a skill it will not add over a certain rank? such as those without would get a 1 up, but those with 3 or more cannot benefit from it ?

Again, thanks a bunch for your work!

And if i can help in any way, be sure to let me know.

2. It's doing what it's supposed to be doing.  If you want to add both a rank and make it non-career, add two different mods.

Hey again OggDude,

I tried what you suggested (adding another mod) but it doesn't let me. Meaning once i pick the "Lore skill" in the mods and choose it as a career skill (at this point i can't make it add another point to the skill) per your suggestion i should just get back and add another "Lore Skill" Mod to the Holocron i am trying to create, but i can't. Meaning once you choose a mod, you can't choose it again. This make sense with single use mods like add initiative but not with the skills mods because the 3 toggles inside the skill mods make them "exclusive" to one another and you can't create an item that adds a skill (with a mod) and make it a career skill for example (with another mod).

Not sure if this is intended but that means one needs to create twice or thrice the amount of items to allow for this functionality.

I know you have bigger fish to fry, and no pressure with coming to that, just thought to let you know.

Hey OggDude and friends!

Dude, i LOVE your generator, it simplifies the **** out of everything.

You are a god send!

I wanted to point out that in the attachments slot, the Poison Reservoir attachment in the description talks about blades but in the editor you could also put it on brawl weapons.

While it may seem okay as the poison maybe seeps in through micro needles or through skin contact, per RAW it's meant for blades i guess.

Second, i wanted to say that i think the skill modification in the data editor is broken. Because when i try to create a holocron that would make the Lore Skill career one, pressing the toggle turns off the other options (meaning if i also want to grant 1 up in that skill or add it only if it's ranked). Maybe i also used it wrong?

Thirdly, i would be happy to help if i knew .NET programming, but i don't so i am left with asking you for a feature if possible. Is it possible to add an option such that if you add a skill it will not add over a certain rank? such as those without would get a 1 up, but those with 3 or more cannot benefit from it ?

Again, thanks a bunch for your work!

And if i can help in any way, be sure to let me know.

2. It's doing what it's supposed to be doing.  If you want to add both a rank and make it non-career, add two different mods.

Hey again OggDude,

I tried what you suggested (adding another mod) but it doesn't let me. Meaning once i pick the "Lore skill" in the mods and choose it as a career skill (at this point i can't make it add another point to the skill) per your suggestion i should just get back and add another "Lore Skill" Mod to the Holocron i am trying to create, but i can't. Meaning once you choose a mod, you can't choose it again. This make sense with single use mods like add initiative but not with the skills mods because the 3 toggles inside the skill mods make them "exclusive" to one another and you can't create an item that adds a skill (with a mod) and make it a career skill for example (with another mod).

Not sure if this is intended but that means one needs to create twice or thrice the amount of items to allow for this functionality.

I know you have bigger fish to fry, and no pressure with coming to that, just thought to let you know.

I looked at the code and I'm specifically allowing either "make career skill" or "add to skill ranks", but not both.  Why?  I'm not sure :)  I checked character skill calculations and I'm only allowing one or the other there as well.  Off hand, I don't see why I couldn't double them up, but I'll have to check before I start mucking about in the code and potentially screwing something up.

Edit:  I know why I did that now.  IsCareer is boolean, but ranks aren't, so I thought it might look confusing if the mod was used as an optional attachment mod (that is, saying "Career Skill" five times).  Other than that, there wasn't a reason.  So... you can now add both ranks, and make a skill a career skill.  It'll still show up multiple times for optional mods if you have ranks > 1, but it'll just apply the career skill change once.  So... you can do what you want to do in the next release. :)

Edited by OggDude

Here's a couple of visuals for the next version.  After you're done crafting your item, you can print out a crafting summary.  It looks something like this:

CraftReport.png

The crafting system will also keep track of any schematics you currently have for any type of item.  If you choose the "schematic" effect for a template, it'll add to the schematic level and automatically adjust the difficulty level the next time you create an item with that template.  You can also edit schematics directly from the crafting dialog:

CraftSchematics.png

CraftSchematicsAdd.png

So, I got this problem. I searched the thread earlier and couldn't find anything for this.

.NET-BroadcastEventWindow.4.0.0.0.34f5582.0: SWCharGen.Exe
The instruction at 0x6409cf28 referenced memory at 0x63371674. The memory could not be Written.

An unhandled exception of type 'System.AccessViolationException' occurred in System.Windows.Forms.dll
Additional information: Attempted to read or write protected memory. This is often an indication that other memory is corrupt.

The program '[74944] SWCharGen.exe' has exited with code 0 (0x0).
Is there a way I can remove this problem? This program used to work on my computer, but then it suddenly started giving me this message.

Here's a couple of visuals for the next version.  After you're done crafting your item, you can print out a crafting summary.  It looks something like this:

CraftReport.png

The crafting system will also keep track of any schematics you currently have for any type of item.  If you choose the "schematic" effect for a template, it'll add to the schematic level and automatically adjust the difficulty level the next time you create an item with that template.  You can also edit schematics directly from the crafting dialog:

CraftSchematics.png

CraftSchematicsAdd.png

I CAN'T WAIT!!!

I WANT IT TODAY!!!

Thank you Oggy!!!

A) github is free to use, as is Git

I’ve had my github account for years. I’m well acquainted with how much it costs.

Of the projects on the FFG SWRPG Community pages that have set up github repos, I have forked and contributed to most of them.

B) IIRC not just the project creator but anyone can respond to threads on Github, so wouldn't just be Ogg supporting it

Anyone can respond here, too.

Yes, anyone can respond here as well, but as this thread shows, that doesn't lead to an organized set of help in regards to this application. How many duplicate messages and bumps and other random garbage are present in the thousands of replies in this one thread are there? How useful is this when it comes to new changes and keeping up to date with that information?

Yes, anyone can respond here as well, but as this thread shows, that doesn't lead to an organized set of help in regards to this application. How many duplicate messages and bumps and other random garbage are present in the thousands of replies in this one thread are there? How useful is this when it comes to new changes and keeping up to date with that information?

I definitely agree that we could use a better method of organizing the support threads. A normal wiki or this forum is not a great solution in this space, but there are plenty of better choices that do not necessarily involve github.