OggDude

Another Character Generator

So pardon my question, but I really don't have the time to review 300+ pages, and if I start at the beginning I will be required to do so.

Where can one go to download a copy of the character generator?  Everyone seems to think this is the bees knees, so I wanted to see what all the hullabaloo is about :) .

For what it's worth, it was the biggest factor in my deciding to kick off my current campaign using FFG's system, rather than the WEG D6 system as originally planned. A couple of players had even already made their D6 characters.

Mine has 2 SKILL Buttons to the left of the species description, I am running the latest version.

With the left one highlighted, there is a pick list of skills to choose from.

The right button highlighted, there is a drop-down menu of the combat skills to pick from.

Chalk this up to me not knowing how to use the guitar correctly

Edit: Lol I typed gui and it autocorrected to guitar

Edited by EliasWindrider

And I've already encountered an issue!  A minor one for sure, but still :) .  The XP spent is counting the Sense Danger from Seer and Force-Sensitive Exile twice.  It keeps flashing up an error about it, but no matter what I click it doesn't fix it.

And I've already encountered an issue!  A minor one for sure, but still :) .  The XP spent is counting the Sense Danger from Seer and Force-Sensitive Exile twice.  It keeps flashing up an error about it, but no matter what I click it doesn't fix it.

I was just giving this a go, and the following message pops up:

Duplicate Unranked Talent Found

By deselecting this unranked talent, the same talent in the same row of the Seer specialization will also be deselected.

This may cause other talents relying on it to also become deselected. Are you sure you want to do this?

If this is the warning you are talking about, select "Yes". If Sense Danger has already been purchased in Seer, it will then appear selected in Exile once you have unlocked it in the specialization table, and should not be costing you double.

As an example, this is how I went through creating the character.

Initial Class: Seer Mystic (Human) 110xp

Purchase second specialization: Force Sensitive Exile -20xp (90xp)

Seer: Uncanny Reactions -5xp (85xp) > Keen Eyed -10xp (75xp) > Grit -15xp (60xp) > Sense Danger -15xp (45xp)

Exile: Uncanny Senses -5xp (40xp) > Convincing Demeanour -10xp (30xp) > Sense Danger -0xp (30xp)

Once Sense Danger is reached, it is automatically checked, as it has previously been purchased in the Seer tree, without any additional cost.

Hope that helps.

Edited by MjollnirAU

I selected "Yes." The issue was it was popping up after every single F-S Exile talent I checked, even though I didn't touch Sense Danger.

Also, in Seer, I went the long way, avoiding all the ranks in Grit and wrapping around to Sense Danger from the bottom. My character is weird (like me) :) .

Edited by Absol197

I selected "Yes." The issue was it was popping up after every single F-S Exile talent I checked, even though I didn't touch Sense Danger.

Also, in Seer, I went the long way, avoiding all the ranks in Grit and wrapping around to Sense Danger from the bottom. My character is weird (like me) :) .

Came up asking Yes/No each time for me as well. Not sure about the background data, but likely due to several talents being shared in both trees.

I only went through the path directly as a quick test, though no matter what path you take, it should still have the same result, and not double the cost of the xp as you described previously.

Hey OggDude and friends!

Dude, i LOVE your generator, it simplifies the **** out of everything.

You are a god send!

I wanted to point out that in the attachments slot, the Poison Reservoir attachment in the description talks about blades but in the editor you could also put it on brawl weapons.

While it may seem okay as the poison maybe seeps in through micro needles or through skin contact, per RAW it's meant for blades i guess.

Second, i wanted to say that i think the skill modification in the data editor is broken. Because when i try to create a holocron that would make the Lore Skill career one, pressing the toggle turns off the other options (meaning if i also want to grant 1 up in that skill or add it only if it's ranked). Maybe i also used it wrong?

Thirdly, i would be happy to help if i knew .NET programming, but i don't so i am left with asking you for a feature if possible. Is it possible to add an option such that if you add a skill it will not add over a certain rank? such as those without would get a 1 up, but those with 3 or more cannot benefit from it ?

Again, thanks a bunch for your work!

And if i can help in any way, be sure to let me know.

Oggdude Still getting error 

l64Oc7h.jpg

ERROR DETAILS
Following errors were detected during this operation.
* [8/22/2016 7:28:55 PM] System.Deployment.Application.DeploymentException (Activation)
- Activation failed.
- Source: System.Deployment
- Stack trace:
at System.Deployment.Application.ComponentStore.ActivateApplication(DefinitionAppId appId, String activationParameter, Boolean useActivationParameter)
at System.Deployment.Application.SubscriptionStore.ActivateApplication(DefinitionAppId appId, String activationParameter, Boolean useActivationParameter)
at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.Activate(DefinitionAppId appId, AssemblyManifest appManifest, String activationParameter, Boolean useActivationParameter)
at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.ProcessOrFollowShortcut(String shortcutFile, String& errorPageUrl, TempFile& deployFile)
at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.PerformDeploymentActivation(Uri activationUri, Boolean isShortcut, String textualSubId, String deploymentProviderUrlFromExtension, BrowserSettings browserSettings, String& errorPageUrl)
at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.ActivateDeploymentWorker(Object state)
--- Inner Exception ---
System.IO.FileNotFoundException
- The system cannot find the file specified. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070002)
- Source: System.Deployment
- Stack trace:
at System.Deployment.Application.NativeMethods.CorLaunchApplication(UInt32 hostType, String applicationFullName, Int32 manifestPathsCount, String[] manifestPaths, Int32 activationDataCount, String[] activationData, PROCESS_INFORMATION processInformation)
at System.Deployment.Application.ComponentStore.ActivateApplication(DefinitionAppId appId, String activationParameter, Boolean useActivationParameter)

COMPONENT STORE TRANSACTION DETAILS
No transaction information is available.

OggDude — just discovered this one. As it turns out, there is no “Wilderness Survival Kit” on page 196 of the AoR CRB. There is a “Crash Survival Kit” on page 195, but that’s the only survival kit listed in that section of the AoR CRB.

At least, that’s what I found in my copy of the AoR CRB. If you have something different, I’d love to see a picture of it. Here’s a picture of my page 196:

IMG_4275.JPG

Thanks!

Although the search function doesn't help, because if I read a part of a thread (aside from new posts, for some reason), I am required to read the whole thing.

you can search and get back just the posts that match and not read the whole thread... or just look at the first post to get the author's signature.

Well, since I can't send a PM to OggDude, guess I'll just put it here:

OggDude,

Given the shear length of the post regarding your wonderful character generator, it might really be time to setup a proper project for it with its own bug reporting and help sections. I know you've said you've never worked with source control before, but you really should consider something like Git with a project on Github.
That would allow for better tracking of issues as well as visibility of changes that are ongoing, and would even allow others to help with things like the data entry for new, base items from the various books.

you can search and get back just the posts that match and not read the whole thread... or just look at the first post to get the author's signature.

Nonono, you misunderstand me: unless I'm reading only new posts as they're made, my OCD REQUIRES me to read the entire thread. I looked up another one of Oggie's threads and read through that one too get the link. It was much shorter :P ~

Well, since I can't send a PM to OggDude, guess I'll just put it here:

OggDude,

Given the shear length of the post regarding your wonderful character generator, it might really be time to setup a proper project for it with its own bug reporting and help sections. I know you've said you've never worked with source control before, but you really should consider something like Git with a project on Github.

That would allow for better tracking of issues as well as visibility of changes that are ongoing, and would even allow others to help with things like the data entry for new, base items from the various books.

Added bonus it is a useful skill to add to your resume. 

And you could probably break up updates more. 

I know I would like to get more smaller updates than waiting a long time to get anything from a book. 

Edited by Daeglan

I can't pm as well. This is just getting on my nerves. So what are we to do? I for one dont know code so cant get on with it. Others have told me to ditch my virus protectors and use windows defender. But I am not going to do that. I love the game too much to leave my laptop open to attack please get this sorted.

I can't pm as well. This is just getting on my nerves. So what are we to do? I for one dont know code so cant get on with it. Others have told me to ditch my virus protectors and use windows defender. But I am not going to do that. I love the game too much to leave my laptop open to attack please get this sorted.

And this here is a problem with using this forum for support... Unless I (and/or others) look back through all these posts to find your other post where you're having a problem, it is hard to help once something has fallen off the "new posts" section of the reading, heheh.

P.S. I'm not asking djshadowcat to do anything. Just pointing out why this isn't a good place for issue tracking.

There's a way to create an exception for that specific program (which is what I've done).  It depends on the various virus-protection programs how to do it, but you don't have to turn them off completely.  Just whitelist the specific OggDude programs...

The other thing to consider here is that this is an entirely volunteer effort by OggDude.

Maybe if more people donated money to him, he would be in a better position to provide support?

A) github is free to use, as is Git

B) IIRC not just the project creator but anyone can respond to threads on Github, so wouldn't just be Ogg supporting it

C) Others could more easily contribute, reducing the workload on Ogg when adding new material or updating old stuff for new features

A) github is free to use, as is Git

I’ve had my github account for years. I’m well acquainted with how much it costs.

Of the projects on the FFG SWRPG Community pages that have set up github repos, I have forked and contributed to most of them.

B) IIRC not just the project creator but anyone can respond to threads on Github, so wouldn't just be Ogg supporting it

Anyone can respond here, too.

C) Others could more easily contribute, reducing the workload on Ogg when adding new material or updating old stuff for new features

Others have previously contributed XML files to OggDude that included a significant amount of work.

The bigger limit there is his bandwidth to accept incoming contributions and to incorporate them into the code base. And github won’t change that.

I don’t think that putting all the code up on github is going to magically fix any of these problems.

My bigger point on this matter is not that I don’t support using github, but that I think the community would be better served if more people contributed to supporting OggDude's work regardless of where it is hosted.

I have contributed to supporting OggDude. Have you?

Hey OggDude, two things.  First off, huge thanks for your work on this program.  It's amazing and so are you.  Second, just wanted to log a super minor bug.  I noticed the Grenade (Template) is showing Encumbrance 4 instead of 1 and my poor little Chadra-Fan pyro can barely walk.  It was an easy enough issue to fix with the editor, and it sounds like your new crafting system is almost ready so maybe its moot, but I thought it was worth mentioning.

Thanks again.

Others have previously contributed XML files to OggDude that included a significant amount of work.

The bigger limit there is his bandwidth to accept incoming contributions and to incorporate them into the code base. And github won’t change that.

I don’t think that putting all the code up on github is going to magically fix any of these problems.

My bigger point on this matter is not that I don’t support using github, but that I think the community would be better served if more people contributed to supporting OggDude's work regardless of where it is hosted.

From my own experience, I have to agree with brad, accepting contributions is a lot of work for a developer. The code has to be reviewed before it can be accepted, and this often takes longer than writing the code yourself.

Usually there are a number of cycles before the code can be included.

Of course, in the long run, this pays off as a new developer learns the ropes, and reviews can be more brief. However, in the world of open source volunteers you have no guarantee that someone will be in for the long run!

The bottom line is that all your suggestions (although well-meant, I am sure) mean more work for Oggdude!

Which is not the way to actually help.

So I have another suggestion:

Why not set up a "community web-site" for the program?

It can include a download page, and a wiki where you, and other users, can could gather FAQs and track issues/work arounds.

The information can come from this thread, all you need to do is put yourself on notification. Then you can take the relevant Q&A's and add them to the Wiki.

Very nice tool thanks.

Is it possible to have an update tool linked with the launcher?

Is it possible to have personnal modification on other file to don't have to rewrite every changed things? (particulary the descriptions)

For the description of talents is it possible to only refere to the free downloadable file of the editor?

Is it possible to have an update tool linked with the launcher?

If you’ve used the web install version, then the launcher already includes an update tool.

Is it possible to have personnal modification on other file to don't have to rewrite every changed things? (particulary the descriptions)

If you put that into a separate data set which is then loaded, your additional data set will not be touched by an update to the software. It will remain unchanged, while the main data set will be updated when the code is updated.

For the description of talents is it possible to only refere to the free downloadable file of the editor?

I’m not sure what the question is here. Can you clarify?

From my own experience, I have to agree with brad, accepting contributions is a lot of work for a developer. The code has to be reviewed before it can be accepted, and this often takes longer than writing the code yourself.

Usually there are a number of cycles before the code can be included.

Of course, in the long run, this pays off as a new developer learns the ropes, and reviews can be more brief. However, in the world of open source volunteers you have no guarantee that someone will be in for the long run!

The bottom line is that all your suggestions (although well-meant, I am sure) mean more work for Oggdude!

Which is not the way to actually help.

So I have another suggestion:

Why not set up a "community web-site" for the program?

It can include a download page, and a wiki where you, and other users, can could gather FAQs and track issues/work arounds.

The information can come from this thread, all you need to do is put yourself on notification. Then you can take the relevant Q&A's and add them to the Wiki.

One thing you all seem to be overlooking is that OggDude wrote/is writing this to teach himself .net programming.  And as such probably really doesn't want the help to write it, as every request for stuff that he doesn't have is just the next challenge in the learning process. 

I myself have done such things in order to teach myself VBA for work.

Edited by SilindeT