OggDude

Another Character Generator

Sorry if this has been asked before....but I tried to do some searches and couldn't find the answer. I have used your generator (and LOVE it by the way) but on 1 character outta 4....when I print in Standard Format....it'll print my weapons at the bottom of page #1 complete with damage/dice pool/mods...etc.

Why on all my other characters is there only a Notes section at the bottom of page #1? I can't for the life of me remember where/how I changed this on the one character.

Please advise.

Thanks,

Tiamack

In the equipment section when you look at the Weapons you have purchased there should be 3 boxes, Equip, Carry & Show. if the show box is ticked it will put the stats on page 1.

On a side note make sure to tick the Equip box on your armour too. That way it adds to the soak/defense score on front of your sheet.

It also reduces the encumbrance by 3 per the rules for wearing armor. 

Oggy,

I found a very strange bug.  It looks related to some of the issues other people are having. 

To understand you will need to know I have two installs on my machine.  The web install (Default), and a Manual install (on Dropbox), Data Files are on dropbox.

With the web install only. When I open  the character generator, all the characters in there are old versions (approximately 6 - 8 weeks old).  The manual install version I see the correct characters.

I have checked every location and searched my computer for the files to see if there is another location that they are kept but I can't find any reason for it.  I even tried uninstalling and reinstalling the program.

Oggy,

I found a very strange bug.  It looks related to some of the issues other people are having. 

To understand you will need to know I have two installs on my machine.  The web install (Default), and a Manual install (on Dropbox), Data Files are on dropbox.

With the web install only. When I open  the character generator, all the characters in there are old versions (approximately 6 - 8 weeks old).  The manual install version I see the correct characters.

I have checked every location and searched my computer for the files to see if there is another location that they are kept but I can't find any reason for it.  I even tried uninstalling and reinstalling the program.

Are you seeing this from the same Windows user login, or different logins?

Oggy,

Same login.

Oggy,

Same login.

The data folder is stored on a user level, so if you're on the same login, you should see the same characters.  The data folder is stored in the registry in the following path:  HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\SWCharGen

Of course, I've had DropBox do some weird things, especially if it wasn't synced properly...

Oggy,

Same login.

The data folder is stored on a user level, so if you're on the same login, you should see the same characters.  The data folder is stored in the registry in the following path:  HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\SWCharGen

Of course, I've had DropBox do some weird things, especially if it wasn't synced properly...

So I have checked all the locations(Dropbox & Roaming Data),  Looked at the XML files(it is the correct character).  Copied the XML from one location to the other.  One of the older characters only has one specialization the newer version of it has two, very easy to distinguish in the XML.  Changed the data path in the web install version, changed it back.  It always seems to be reading the older characters.  No where on this computer do those older files even exist.  So I'm not sure how it could be reading them. 

So I just did an experiment; I copied the Manual install over the webinstall, Now the webinstall works fine.  I'm going to try uninstalling the web install version and re-installing and see what happens.

Edit: OK this is now a no repo.  I've tried multiple things including manually editing a character XML, and both versions are working fine as far as the character generator is concerned, but I did just notice that neither version is reading the Group0.xml that does exist.  Woops was pointing to the wrong place.

Edited by SilindeT

So I have checked all the locations(Dropbox & Roaming Data),  Looked at the XML files(it is the correct character).  Copied the XML from one location to the other.  One of the older characters only has one specialization the newer version of it has two, very easy to distinguish in the XML.  Changed the data path in the web install version, changed it back.  It always seems to be reading the older characters.  No where on this computer do those older files even exist.  So I'm not sure how it could be reading them. 

So I just did an experiment; I copied the Manual install over the webinstall, Now the webinstall works fine.  I'm going to try uninstalling the web install version and re-installing and see what happens.

Don't forget to clear the cache.

Don't forget to clear the cache.

I always clear my cache. ;)

Oggy, it keeps getting better (and faster than I can learn everything  :wacko:  )

In fact, it's come to the point where I am using my laptop at the table more than I am printed materials. And that leads me to ask if it is possible to add a <Power Level> sort in the "Modify Adversaries" (Adversaries tab) and "Available Adversaries" (Encounter tab) spreadsheet?

I have seen your work go from "neat-o" to "truly indispensable." :wub:

Edited by DarthXagidyl

In the pop-up window that alerts you to the program being unverified, there should be an additional options tab. From there you should be able to open anyways.

No I'm not getting that at all this is what Im seeing:

PLATFORM VERSION INFO
Windows : 6.2.9200.0 (Win32NT)
Common Language Runtime : 4.0.30319.34209
System.Deployment.dll : 4.0.30319.34274 built by: FX452RTMGDR
clr.dll : 4.0.30319.34209 built by: FX452RTMGDR
dfdll.dll : 4.0.30319.34274 built by: FX452RTMGDR
dfshim.dll : 6.3.9600.16384 (winblue_rtm.130821-1623)

SOURCES
Server : nginx

IDENTITIES
Deployment Identity : SWCharGenLauncher.application, Version=1.7.0.1, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=0000000000000000, processorArchitecture=x86

APPLICATION SUMMARY
* Installable application.

ERROR SUMMARY
Below is a summary of the errors, details of these errors are listed later in the log.
* Activation of https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/26990628/deploy/SWCharGen/SWCharGenLauncher.applicationresulted in exception. Following failure messages were detected:
+ Activation failed.
+ The system cannot find the file specified. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070002)

COMPONENT STORE TRANSACTION FAILURE SUMMARY
No transaction error was detected.

WARNINGS
There were no warnings during this operation.

OPERATION PROGRESS STATUS
* [06/08/2016 18:24:40] : Processing of deployment manifest has successfully completed.

ERROR DETAILS
Following errors were detected during this operation.
* [06/08/2016 18:24:40] System.Deployment.Application.DeploymentException (Activation)
- Activation failed.
- Source: System.Deployment
- Stack trace:
at System.Deployment.Application.ComponentStore.ActivateApplication(DefinitionAppId appId, String activationParameter, Boolean useActivationParameter)
at System.Deployment.Application.SubscriptionStore.ActivateApplication(DefinitionAppId appId, String activationParameter, Boolean useActivationParameter)
at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.Activate(DefinitionAppId appId, AssemblyManifest appManifest, String activationParameter, Boolean useActivationParameter)
at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.PerformDeploymentActivation(Uri activationUri, Boolean isShortcut, String textualSubId, String deploymentProviderUrlFromExtension, BrowserSettings browserSettings, String& errorPageUrl)
at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.ActivateDeploymentWorker(Object state)
--- Inner Exception ---
System.IO.FileNotFoundException
- The system cannot find the file specified. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070002)
- Source: System.Deployment
- Stack trace:
at System.Deployment.Application.NativeMethods.CorLaunchApplication(UInt32 hostType, String applicationFullName, Int32 manifestPathsCount, String[] manifestPaths, Int32 activationDataCount, String[] activationData, PROCESS_INFORMATION processInformation)
at System.Deployment.Application.ComponentStore.ActivateApplication(DefinitionAppId appId, String activationParameter, Boolean useActivationParameter)

COMPONENT STORE TRANSACTION DETAILS
* Transaction at [06/08/2016 18:24:40]
+ System.Deployment.Internal.Isolation.StoreOperationSetDeploymentMetadata
- HRESULT: 0x0
+ System.Deployment.Internal.Isolation.StoreTransactionOperationType (27)
- HRESULT: 0x0

First, thank you for your hard work, this program is phenomenal.

I last used 1.5.0.0 and manually entered a considerable amount of data via the data tool. What is the proper procedure to upgrade to the latest release and import all my manually entered text/data?

Many thanks!

None needed or you can press the export button save it to desktop and import it to the latest version if it doesn't carry over

Here's a little preview of the new crafting feature.  It allows you to create a whole new item, rather than just adding a special attachment to a template item.  It'll be in three steps:

Step 1: Select your item type and template

CraftPage1.png

You can enter the various symbols that you rolled on your crafting check so you can see how much you can "spend" on improvements.

Step 2:  Select effects based on your roll

CraftPage2a.png

It displays how many symbols you've used, but it doesn't enforce anything.  Like the rest of the generator, it gives you flexibility in how you want to create your item.  If you select an effect that works on a selected skill (such as Special Embellishment), you can select the skill:

CraftPage2b.png

In this case, a die modifier will be added that adds advantage to all checks for that skill.

Step 3:  Customize the name and description of the item

CraftPage3.png

Oggy,

I can't wait to try these out!!!

Thanks for all that you do!!!

What is the source for determining which armors are sealed or sealable? I've been fooled by assuming an armor was not sealed or sealable only to find (by looking at xml's) that the armor is listed as being one or the other. The N-57 armor, for example, doesn't quite look like it should be sealable seeing as the art just depicts it being torso protection. The xml indicates it is, though. I'm not looking to debate any of that... just wondering where I could find that stuff out without having to break open the xml.

Hi Oggy!

I was experimenting with the character-sheet, namely with dual-wield lightsabers, especially the 2 shotos together. This raised a question:

If the dual-wielded weapons are both Accurate, then don't they give you 2 boost-dies?

(2 weapon rules say only the worst of skill/characteristic, but nothing about the boosts)

What about using Curved Hilt? Do you get 1 or 2 advantages on a hit? -- Well this won't appear on the character sheet, but I treat you as a good source of interpreting rules, since it is essential to create such an awsome application.

Hi Oggy!

I was experimenting with the character-sheet, namely with dual-wield lightsabers, especially the 2 shotos together. This raised a question:

If the dual-wielded weapons are both Accurate, then don't they give you 2 boost-dies?

(2 weapon rules say only the worst of skill/characteristic, but nothing about the boosts)

What about using Curved Hilt? Do you get 1 or 2 advantages on a hit? -- Well this won't appear on the character sheet, but I treat you as a good source of interpreting rules, since it is essential to create such an awsome application.

No and no, and has been confirmed by the devs.

The properties of the off-hand weapon in regards to the combat check do not apply.  So if you're using an off-hand weapon with Accurate, you don't get to suddenly add that boost die as you first need to roll and generate 2 advantage to trigger a hit with the off-hand weapon.

Also, I believe with the program it's deliberately set up so that effects that only trigger after a successful combat check aren't applied by default, as it'd be confusing on the character sheet if the dice pool field listed a free advantage (such as with a Bantha Laser Sight) that wouldn't be applicable if the combat check fails.  The free advantage from a curved hilt is only applied in a specific situation (fighting a single opponent), so it wouldn't show up as not every combat check you make would fit that situation, same to how Duelist's Training (boost die in one-on-one fights) and Multiple Opponents talents (boost die when fighting more than one opponent) don't get added to every combat check.

I cannot turn off just one source, it would seem. I don't use the Unofficial Species Menagerie, and after the last update, if I try to turn off just that book, it turns back on when I close options. If I turn off that and another book, I can get them to stay turned off. Not sure why, and it's pretty minor, but I thought you might want to know.

I'm using the web-install version for the record.

Hey Oggdude,

One bug I've seen is when printing out vehicles with rosters... between the 3rd and 4th vehicle it cuts off some of the data.  Otherwise is flawless.  I do a lot of printing for my modules.  Just FYI.... probably a simple fix but not critical.

Scotter23

Hi Oggy!

The properties of the off-hand weapon in regards to the combat check do not apply.  So if you're using an off-hand weapon with Accurate, you don't get to suddenly add that boost die as you first need to roll and generate 2 advantage to trigger a hit with the off-hand weapon.

Also, I believe with the program it's deliberately set up so that effects that only trigger after a successful combat check aren't applied by default, as it'd be confusing on the character sheet if the dice pool field listed a free advantage (such as with a Bantha Laser Sight) that wouldn't be applicable if the combat check fails.  The free advantage from a curved hilt is only applied in a specific situation (fighting a single opponent), so it wouldn't show up as not every combat check you make would fit that situation, same to how Duelist's Training (boost die in one-on-one fights) and Multiple Opponents talents (boost die when fighting more than one opponent) don't get added to every combat check.

Thanks Donovan. Can you further help me interpreting the rules then?

1) Although I tried Oggy's chargen with a dual-wield superior weapon too. it says XXXY/Y (X=skill/proficiency dice, Y=advantage), So it means for the primary weapon I get the advantage and if the off-hand is triggered: I get another advange. I beleive this goes by the rules. (I'd think, that if you have a dual-wielded curved-hilt weapon pair and you are fighting a single opponent, then the same is the case: You get one advantage for primary and if the off-hand is triggered: you receive another)

2) Shouldn't this mean, that if I trigger an Accurate off-hand, then I roll one more boost die? (According to the above: no is the answer, though I think this would be more consequent)

3) What if the secondary weapon has another passive quality like defensive/deflection? Do you get the benefit only if triggered? This would seem very awkward to me, see this scenario: The adversary comes first, you have two weapons in your two hands, one has deflection2, the ohter has none. Now what is your (ranged) defense? (You didn't have a turn to tell which is primary and which is secondary, and it can't be told by which hand you are carrying the weapon. -- I beleive you can swap primary/secondary without swapping hands)

4) As you are saying: "This has been confirmed by the devs". Is there a source where I can find such official information without the need of reading through hundreds of topics with thousands of posts?

Thanks

Hi Oggy!

Thanks Donovan. Can you further help me interpreting the rules then?

1) Although I tried Oggy's chargen with a dual-wield superior weapon too. it says XXXY/Y (X=skill/proficiency dice, Y=advantage), So it means for the primary weapon I get the advantage and if the off-hand is triggered: I get another advange. I beleive this goes by the rules. (I'd think, that if you have a dual-wielded curved-hilt weapon pair and you are fighting a single opponent, then the same is the case: You get one advantage for primary and if the off-hand is triggered: you receive another)

2) Shouldn't this mean, that if I trigger an Accurate off-hand, then I roll one more boost die? (According to the above: no is the answer, though I think this would be more consequent)

3) What if the secondary weapon has another passive quality like defensive/deflection? Do you get the benefit only if triggered? This would seem very awkward to me, see this scenario: The adversary comes first, you have two weapons in your two hands, one has deflection2, the ohter has none. Now what is your (ranged) defense? (You didn't have a turn to tell which is primary and which is secondary, and it can't be told by which hand you are carrying the weapon. -- I beleive you can swap primary/secondary without swapping hands)

4) As you are saying: "This has been confirmed by the devs". Is there a source where I can find such official information without the need of reading through hundreds of topics with thousands of posts?

Thanks

Not quite Donovan, but here's my understanding around these:

1) Correct. My own understanding from the development response was the initial Combat Check is assembled by the main-hand weapon, and if activated the off-hand weapon will trigger the qualities that do not impact the roll itself.

2) No. The system doesn't allow the second-hand activation to modify the dice pool. It can however modify the result, like adding the Advantage from Superior or Curved Hilt if the circumstances permit it.

3) Deflection/Defense are calculated by the highest item/talent which provides it; including the off-hand you are wielding. In your example it would be 2, from a thematic stand point this is the same thing as wielding a "parrying" weapon. The system does not expect you to trigger it on an attack to work.

4) The sticky at the top of the forum has a record of the answered questions under the heading "FFG Developer Answered Questions". I've copied the relevant answer here from Episode II in that sticky.

Answered by Sam Stewart:

The weapon used sets the pool. The second weapon is only used if you gain two Advantage to trigger the second hit. So only the first weapon sets the pool. So if the second weapon has penalties or bonuses that would affect the pool, such as adding Boost or Setback dice, these would not apply. However, if the second weapon has penalties or bonuses that are applied after the pool has been rolled, then those penalties or bonuses do apply if you trigger the second weapon to hit. So If your second weapon is Accurate, you won't get Boost dice. But if your second weapon has a laser sight that gives you an Advantage on a successful attack, then if you're successful and you trigger the second hit, then you gain the additional Advantage as well.

Thanks Sileo: All clear now.

I hope Oggy doesn't mind if we discuss these things here: For an application it is important to have clearly defined rules, so I hope it helps his work too if something is not understood the same way as intended (or the rule needs some clarification). -- This case everything was answered before, it is my lack of knowing where to look for the answer: thank you for your inputs/patience/etc.

Here's a little preview of the new crafting feature.  It allows you to create a whole new item, rather than just adding a special attachment to a template item.  It'll be in three steps:

Step 1: Select your item type and template

CraftPage1.png

You can enter the various symbols that you rolled on your crafting check so you can see how much you can "spend" on improvements.

Step 2:  Select effects based on your roll

CraftPage2a.png

It displays how many symbols you've used, but it doesn't enforce anything.  Like the rest of the generator, it gives you flexibility in how you want to create your item.  If you select an effect that works on a selected skill (such as Special Embellishment), you can select the skill:

CraftPage2b.png

In this case, a die modifier will be added that adds advantage to all checks for that skill.

Step 3:  Customize the name and description of the item

CraftPage3.png

love the look of the craft section.

just a quick question about crafting.  Under the rules, step 3: construction - no where does it say that advantages and disadvantages cancel out, it states that the player spends advantage and triumphs and the GM spends disadvantage and threats.  my interpretation to this is that the whole dice pool gets used for improvements and flaws.  just noticed that your tool only allows for either advantage or disadvantage to be selected with a number beside it.

Yup, definitely love the look of the crafting section, too!

Advantages and Threats cancel each other out in the base game. Reiterating this was probably deemed unnecessary since it's a key game mechanic across all three lines. 

Edited by verdantsf